Author Topic: any one got advice for a guy who just turned 20?  (Read 2453 times)

LUGR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
Re: any one got advice for a guy who just turned 20?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
If you drink coffee, buy your own beans and brew it yourself. Don’t go to the coffee shop every morning and buy a cup. I made this mistake for years and wasted so much money on mediocre coffee.

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Its my birfday today and im 20 now. what can I expect from being in my 20s?? what should I avoid doing? What should I focus on? skateboarding and non-skateboarding-related answers are welcome....
[close]

try to avoid addiction or addictive behavior. don't pile out. learn a job that makes money asap.

i piled out hard in my twenties and now i'm very poor in my 30s and getting out of line of "career" is pretty hard. being somewhat financially secure will take a lot of stress off of you as well.

don't get catfished into working for free for anyone. always get payed, never do something on the promise of a connection or whatever. don't get distracted from your own goals.

be accountable for your own fuck ups and learn from them so you don't repeat them in the future.

EDIT: oh, and happy birthday of course. hope you had a sick day
[close]
i definitely gotta avoid addictive behavior. my father is notorious for his little drug binges every now and again and everyone in my family has had their problems with substance abuse.. also the money thing... im going to school to become a musician and that is no money maker lol.
[close]

Hey man!  39 here.  Hang with me...

Don't go to music school...  There is a WEALTH of information out there.  If you're motivated, you can easily find the Theory, Harmony, and Ear Training knowledge you'll need.  I went to Berklee College of Music, which was a dream of mine, and am still paying it off. 

Find a master of your instrument that does Skype lessons and study privately with them as often as you can afford, and play music with other people as often as you can.  You'd be amazed how many "virtuoso's" there were at Berklee that could barely play in a group context from the jump.

This isn't trying to discourage you at all.  Just sharing some advice that I wish I would've followed before going 10's of thousands of dollars in debt.  Not worth it when the average gig for MOST musicians is $100 a night or upwards of $300-$500 for more quality gigs.
you're probably right but at this point im a junior and I don't know what else i'm really interested in other than music... i enjoy being at college tho.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »
If you've been young and stupid, chances are that you'll grow to be wise and old, but you have to remember to have things changing direction in time.

Learn to pay notice to what's happening around you without necessarily needing to have an opinion about them.

Smile, look people into the eyes when you talk to them, breath and feel your self.

Have great role models. People who posses positive qualities you appreciate and would like to attain your self.

Know that you can always grow and change your life for the better, and know that you should continue to focus on doing so for the rest of your life.

Happy birthday!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:31:23 PM by Molte »
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »
Get off the internet now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »
Don’t go buck with your credit card….being a dirtbag is actually a great skill, don’t lose touch with it. 

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
And learn to play an instrument..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 03:11:14 PM »
If you're smart and fast enough, you can almost always find a way to walk or run away from a fight. As a result, you can go more places, have more adventures, and get yourself into and out of more situations. Embracing a less macho and egodriven mindset is not the same as non-violence, it's just a braver and more realistic understanding of life.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:24:16 PM by botefdunn »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »
don't let your health insurance lapse. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2022, 05:39:14 PM »
Don't be afraid to ask for help

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
Get your dick wet and don't be afraid to eat ass

crepes

• Rep: -26
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2022, 05:48:13 PM »
Don't ever buy nothing from a man named Truth.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2022, 12:37:27 AM »
Learn how to pay attention to stuff you’re doing, and especially when talking to people. Empathy can be like a superpower. Non-violent communication is a good way to learn how to be empathic with others and yourself. I sure wish I’d come across that at least 20 years earlier, changed my life.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 12:44:26 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2022, 01:30:10 AM »
stick to riding your skateboard, regardless of what happens (i.e. parties, girls, girlfriends, ...).
it will get you through the worst of times and keep you sane and somewhat balanced.
it will however accompany you through the best of times and skating through the best of times is fucking rad.

tl;dr skate is cool.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2022, 04:59:29 AM »
Some have already been mentioned, but as a married 38-year old with kids, these are my 5 cents. Good luck & HBD.

1. Keep skating, no matter how good/bad you are. You'll make friendships that will be deeper and last much longer than with any other sport. 

2. Get a degree. No matter what you decide to do later in life, a degree is the only thing that cannot be taken from you.

3. Skip long-term dating. Spend your time on what you really want to do - either dating more women, skating or learning something else. Don't worry about love, you're too young for that.

4. Enjoy the physical strength of an adult but the flexibility of a youngster. 

5. Save money. Don't need to be much, but save anything you can as you will need it later. . Once it's GO for a life situation change, you don't have that restraint and can just go for it.

6. Be social and travel. The more you see of the world and the more people the better - you'll learn more about yourself and about others more than ever before/after. This brings a maturity that will help you navigate further in life and career-wise .

7. Enjoy life. You'll only be in your 20's once.
People that say "30 is the new 20" are wrong and trying to find excuses for pissing away their 20's - whatever your priorities are, do them now and don't wait.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:31:43 AM by xandeo »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2022, 07:04:22 AM »
don’t solicit advice from burnout losers on skate forums

Keyser_Soze

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2022, 10:08:47 AM »
Roth IRA

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2022, 11:53:56 AM »
Plastics.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2022, 03:37:40 PM »
Never settle. For anything. Ever!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2022, 05:18:32 PM »
i'm 50, happily married, have a great family life (3 kids and with my wife for 25 ish years) and run a fun, profitable business. advice i give my kids and any other younger folks who ask...

two most important decisions in your life

1. what you do for a living
2. who you spend your life with

if you get those right, it should be smooth sailing. everything else you can screw up and iterate on.

Edit:

Happy Birthday!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:31:07 PM by Sleazy »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2022, 05:31:08 PM »
Save your money. At least 1/4 of your monthly income.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2022, 07:31:12 PM »
Don't skip long term relationships what the hell just don't date morons
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
My most important piece of advice for the next 10 years is to get really good at something that will make you money. Doesn't matter what field it's in as long as it's in demand. Gotta make yourself valuable. The guys I know in their 30s who blew it are the ones still bouncing between shitty jobs because they didn't ever get a respectable skill set while they were younger.

It's not a big deal for me but my only real regret of my 20s is going to university when I could have gone straight into the trades after I finished high school. I'm not anti-university at all but I think if you don't have a plan and a career path for when you finish your degree you should be strongly considering doing something else before you amass more debt and waste more time. If you are doing any degree in the arts or humanities you should really be considering whether you have what it takes to make this a worthwhile career, because the odds are not in your favor, no matter how passionate you are.

And also you don't really have to take anything that seriously until you're 25 so don't stress too hard
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2022, 08:29:10 PM »
don’t solicit advice from burnout losers on skate forums

Enjoy the ride. Do whatever YOU want, not what your parents or others want.

Be aware of supply and demand and that life is about being able to "compete" at a certain level everyday.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:40:53 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2022, 08:53:32 PM »
Learn to cook and avoid nickel and diming yourself into being poor by buying pop and gas station food all day long.  Even small amounts of money saved and invested will pay off huge in your future.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2022, 09:03:13 PM »
Save your money. At least 1/4 of your monthly income.

Yup, stack as much money as you can. You'll thank yourself later.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2022, 09:17:49 PM »
^ this is good but also gotta remember being thrifty can be addictive.
"You gotta spend money to make money" is pretty true but "you gotta spend money to save money" s another way to look at it. There's things you'll do everyday that seem like nothing but added up will be hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.
The buying gas station (or any pre made) food is a great example. One good thing I did once is bought a whole box of toothbrushes. It was like $50 but it was like 7 years worth. A toothbrush is like $5 and you need one every couple weeks so that's like $60-120 a year. I saved hundreds right there.
Get a good drink bottle(s) is another one that will save a little every day (as long as it's not like hundreds of $, be smart)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2022, 10:11:05 PM »
Turn 21

Then turn 22

Get it?

Don't. There's nothing wrong with not going for it if you're not feeling it. This goes with everything.

Don't feel pressured to imbibe alcohol just because some people make it look fun. It's not always fun.

Also, keep in mind your brain doesn't stop developing until you are 25. This was a shocker to find out in college. That's apparently a contributing factor to alcoholism. So I advise my kids that they should let their brain grow as big as possible before they do anything to stunt its growth.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2022, 04:10:27 AM »
 Take a whiff.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2022, 07:41:47 AM »
Give up hope...
Look at me.
Dreams is for suckas....
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2022, 07:46:16 AM »
My grandfather tho ... He has something to tell you. He told this to me all the time.

"... Never stop fucking... When you're old you'll thank me for telling you that..."

Unfortunately I have not followed grampy fleas advice and I'm overflowing with sexual anxiety and need to get out there again.

I have no idea what has changed. Last few years my cock has given me nothing but disappointment.

My other advice is use condoms.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)