Author Topic: Nyjah for SOTY  (Read 34076 times)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 170
Re: Nyjah for SOTY
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2022, 04:54:10 PM »
they really aint gonna give it to him even tho just 4 minutes of this was better than Sucius entire year.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2022, 04:58:23 PM »
Is “Need that” a little on the nose?   Maybe his next part is called “Gimme Gimme”

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2022, 05:27:38 PM »
Is “Need that” a little on the nose?   Maybe his next part is called “Gimme Gimme”

Yummy yummy yummy I got SOTY in tummy

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2022, 05:45:04 PM »
Jesus Fucking Christ. I'm no big fan of Nyjah but after watching Need This two things are glaringly obvious
1. He's in a whole different galaxy of talent than Tyshawn.
2. He is one of, if not the gnarliest skaters of all time. The rails this fucker skates and the slams he takes are off the charts, even against the prime of Zero, Creature, Antihero, (insert "gnar" company here), etc...

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -215
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
6 hours untill Jah secures SOTY, can’t wait to see all you fucks collectively piss in each other’s mouths

[close]

Jesus Christ...I really hope you're Nyjah. If you're not, this is incredibly embarrassing for you.
[close]

Bro look at the comments in this thread, your on your own pal. Shits in the bag, what’s the point of hating just appreciate the good skating. Life’s a lot better when you can enjoy the little things
[close]

I'm actually fine with your hero winning this big award thing.

And his skating, while calculated to the point of sucking all the air out of the room, is obviously incredible.

But are you seriously going to act like coming in here with sentences like, "can’t wait to see all you fucks collectively piss in each other’s mouths" doesn't sound like some football team locker room jock bullshit? It does, and it's ridiculous.

Gay, i love most of your posts, but this is the dumbest shit ever lol.... what isn't calculated skating? does the skater have to close their eyes so they don't know what the board is doing under their feet? all skating is calculated, clearly

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2022, 07:59:58 PM »
Jesus Fucking Christ.
1. He's in a whole different galaxy of talent than Tyshawn.
2. He is the gnarliest skater of all time. The rails this fucker skates and the slams he takes are off the charts, even against the prime of Zero, Creature, Antihero, (insert "gnar" company here), etc...

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2022, 08:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
6 hours untill Jah secures SOTY, can’t wait to see all you fucks collectively piss in each other’s mouths

[close]

Jesus Christ...I really hope you're Nyjah. If you're not, this is incredibly embarrassing for you.
[close]

Bro look at the comments in this thread, your on your own pal. Shits in the bag, what’s the point of hating just appreciate the good skating. Life’s a lot better when you can enjoy the little things
[close]

And his skating, while calculated to the point of sucking all the air out of the room, is obviously incredible.

But are you seriously going to act like coming in here with sentences like, "can’t wait to see all you fucks collectively piss in each other’s mouths" doesn't sound like some football team locker room jock bullshit? It does, and it's ridiculous.
[close]

Gay, i love most of your posts, but this is the dumbest shit ever lol.... what isn't calculated skating? does the skater have to close their eyes so they don't know what the board is doing under their feet? all skating is calculated, clearly

All he said was it is calculated to the extreme, as opposed to some drunken hellrider just pushing fast and going for it. Both calculated, just one moreso than the other.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2022, 08:09:45 PM »
I hate this kook as much as the next guy, but now that I’ve had a chance to watch it a few times and let it sink in; holy fuck, Nyjah is easily the most skilled handrail skater of all time. He’s light years ahead of everyone else.

Kicked2thecurb

• Rep: -1
  • Happy birthday Mulks!
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2022, 08:20:13 PM »
Wish the jah-man would come out of left field at some point and skate to early modest mouse, ska or something else that’s comically out of character.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know .. skated to Metallica once
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 08:32:17 PM by Kicked2thecurb »
Open the gates of manifestation and grant me the powers of darkness

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2022, 08:48:58 PM »
I hate this kook as much as the next guy, but now that I’ve had a chance to watch it a few times and let it sink in; holy fuck, Nyjah is easily the most skilled handrail skater of all time. He’s light years ahead of everyone else.

basically this.

this whole thing is like a litmus test for thrasher: will they give SOTY to a guy whose personality and aesthetics thoroughly grates against the mentality and history of the mag?

Here's a dude that lives in an LA mansion, parties to EDM music, skates contests, wears the worst, most basketball jock-ass fits in the history of our culture, sells NFTs, has an insanely long list of non-skating sponsors, is a literal instagram influencer, and consistently attaches himself to the most empty and artless visuals. You could say this directly goes against the image of Thrasher and the things they espouse, or at least did at one point.

But on the other hand, this latest part shows that he's easily one of the most skilled, consistent, driven, and fearless dudes to ever step on the board and someone that is going bigger than almost anyone right now.

So would they give someone SOTY solely based on skill,stair count, and minutes of footage, and ignore everything about this dude off the board?

My gut says no. TJ is doing groundbreaking skating while being at least 50 times less corny as a human being. I think that matters to Thrasher still.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2022, 08:53:08 PM »
Can a person be SOTY if they
- do the worst fakie shuv in a line?
- include a clip that shows how poorly they can backside powerslide, despite being the “best” skater out there?
- bring their own cute little wedge ramp to skate a rail?
- blatantly knock down a photographer’s flash after landing a trick at clipper?
- claim in an old interview “that skateboarding is not for girls at all. Not one bit.”

He’s skilled, but intolerable. I doubt I’ll ever watch that part again. I’d love to see anyone else win soty.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2022, 09:07:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

basically this.

this whole thing is like a litmus test for thrasher: will they give SOTY to a guy whose personality and aesthetics thoroughly grates against the mentality and history of the mag?

Here's a dude that lives in an LA mansion, parties to EDM music, skates contests, wears the worst, most basketball jock-ass fits in the history of our culture, sells NFTs, has an insanely long list of non-skating sponsors, is a literal instagram influencer, and consistently attaches himself to the most empty and artless visuals. You could say this directly goes against the image of Thrasher and the things they espouse, or at least did at one point.

But on the other hand, this latest part shows that he's easily one of the most skilled, consistent, driven, and fearless dudes to ever step on the board and someone that is going bigger than almost anyone right now.

So would they give someone SOTY solely based on skill,stair count, and minutes of footage, and ignore everything about this dude off the board?

My gut says no. TJ is doing groundbreaking skating while being at least 50 times less corny as a human being. I think that matters to Thrasher still.

That’s why I think Spanly gets it (or would in a Phelps reign).     It’s Skater of the Year, not BEST skater of the year.   That may be parsing it too much for some…

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2022, 09:10:42 PM »
- include a clip that shows how poorly they can backside powerslide, despite being the “best” skater out there?
- claim in an old interview “that skateboarding is not for girls at all. Not one bit.”

He’s skilled, but intolerable. I doubt I’ll ever watch that part again. I’d love to see anyone else win soty.

I doubt that the photographers getting paid to shoot nyjah have to worry about things like flashes falling over to be honest
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2022, 09:11:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I doubt that the photographers getting paid to shoot nyjah have to worry about things like flashes falling over to be honest

Yeah it seems like he’s willing to cut the check for shit like that   

sharkjumper

« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2022, 09:17:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe he’ll help out the photographer for the gear. It’s still an asshole move to break good equipment.

sharkjumper

« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2022, 09:19:37 PM »
I saw a nice bs poweslide in there and I was pleasantly surprised, no Eddie Cernicky but fuck it the man can slide.

He fucked clipper up, not a real street part unless you break some equipment

I saw 2 bad bs powerslides in the same line.

Breaking some equipment when a board shoots out is different than running into a flash stand after a trick for no reason.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2022, 09:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maybe he’ll help out the photographer for the gear. It’s still an asshole move to break good equipment.

Bro nike or monster probably pay for anything the photographers want or need in those kind of shoots
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2022, 09:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bro nike or monster probably pay for anything the photographers want or need in those kind of shoots

Nyjah paid ant Travis’s lawyers whenever they got in trouble filming this.    I think Nyjah doesn’t (or doesn’t know he could) expense that shit out

sharkjumper

« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2022, 09:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You are oblivious to the life of a skate photographer.  Those dudes pay for all their own gear.  Monster and/or Nike aren't paying for shit.
Dan Z shot those sequences, and even though he works for Thrasher, I guarantee Dan bought that gear himself.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2022, 09:53:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

All he said was it is calculated to the extreme, as opposed to some drunken hellrider just pushing fast and going for it. Both calculated, just one moreso than the other.

There's the calculation of "I perfected this movement by doing it 2000 times in my training facility, so I just have to transfer my existing skill to these slightly different surroundings", and the calculation of "I've had enough beers to have the courage, but not too many to fall off my board pushing." I'd argue those are very different.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2022, 09:54:39 PM »
The man can slide and the man can shifty, that nollie backside overcrook. He brings a level of moto cross to skating and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. His style can be dope when he isn't taking himself so seriously and dime challenges his landings

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2022, 10:10:42 PM »

Lol what a reach, praise ‘Jah people like you aren’t responsible for picking SOTY.

Legendary part.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

dannyprovolone

« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2022, 10:19:29 PM »
Lmao. People so salty they have to hate on him for knocking over a flash

Epic part. Already rewatched. I can’t see anyone topping this for years let alone in the next week

Gbeerme

• Rep: -4
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2022, 10:20:00 PM »
Reminder watch Kyle Walker 2016 soty win vs this.

Nyjah deserves this.

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2022, 10:21:14 PM »
While there is no denying his athletic prowess, skill, drive, other compliments and superlatives or how "gnarly" he is, IMO this was bland. Is anyone claiming Tyshawn is too much of cocky athletic wanker in here singing Nyjah's praises?? I really don't care about SOTY but am definitely rooting for TJ or Spanly, or even just a dumpster fire but anyone but 'Jah, please.
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2022, 10:30:31 PM »
nyjah is a lot like that band chon. yeah, shit is hard, but only total losers like it.

that part could have been 7 minutes shorter. i forced myself through it.

whatever booger nonsense he did on the dylan rail is a travesty.

sharkjumper

« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2022, 10:40:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol what a reach, praise ‘Jah people like you aren’t responsible for picking SOTY.

Legendary part.

That's a real quote from 9jah himself.  So we should ignore that?  Or you support what he said?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2022, 10:58:43 PM »
Gnarliest part of the year, possibly of all time. But it doesn't seem to me like rail chomping is what 2022 skating is about. This part is like a great album in a subgenre that went out of style already.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2022, 11:05:25 PM »
Seeing that the only other guy really in the conversation is tyshawn and he‘s gotten the award before I support Nyjah for SOTY. I never thought I would write that. Ha ha. Not giving it to the gnarliest and most skilled skater of this generation just becomes bullying at some point. He‘s an athlete skater I get it, but they also fucking gave it to Chris Cole. Twice!

Yes, as a lot of people have pointed out he‘s said and done a lot of stupid things, but he is basically a former child superstar. Not to excuse everything he‘s done, but his childhood must have been fucked up. I find it pretty amazing he seems to channel all that into skateboarding still.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2022, 11:19:02 PM »
Seeing that the only other guy really in the conversation is tyshawn and he‘s gotten the award before I support Nyjah for SOTY. I never thought I would write that. Ha ha. Not giving it to the gnarliest and most skilled skater of this generation just becomes bullying at some point. He‘s an athlete skater I get it, but they also fucking gave it to Chris Cole. Twice!

Yes, as a lot of people have pointed out he‘s said and done a lot of stupid things, but he is basically a former child superstar. Not to excuse everything he‘s done, but his childhood must have been fucked up. I find it pretty amazing he seems to channel all that into skateboarding still.
we still have yet to see what tyshawn has left for us, i am on the fence for that reason. if it were to be right now, i’m saying nyjah (which i also never thought i would say). i like both of their stories honestly. they both came from not much & built themselves into superstars. nyjah obviously had the dad helping coach him, his dad also left his family though & stole a whole video part from him when he was like 12 that includes a kickflip back lip down wilshire 15. me personally, not that i can say for sure but, i would imagine this would put a bad taste in my mouth for skateboarding and demotivate me to a point where i might find another way of proving myself. not just for my own motives of being great but also to my dad for what he did & to provide for my family. instead, he was so addicted that he couldn’t stop, his mom spent all of the money they had to take him to his first sls contest where they couldn’t even afford a hotel for the night (rob dyrdek ended up paying for it, it’s discussed in his new nine club) & then he won. continued to win & make money to take care of his mom & brothers, ended up starting his own brand & being one of if not the gnarliest street skateboarders of all time, as well as one of the most successful financially & without a doubt competively. tyshawn came from new york with not very much money as well. ends up on huge billboards in times square, modeling for huge companies, starts his own restaurant with his mother’s cooking (from what i’ve heard), got soty, started his own brand as well & is also one of the best street skateboarders of all time. it really is a pretty beautiful competition between the two in terms of what they have overcome & then gone on to accomplish. it can go either way & i won’t be upset at all. nyjah has enough trophies but, i think this is the one he dreams of more than any & tyshawn already has one. then again if tyshawn gets it, he’s the first black man to be double champion. no matter how it plays out i think it’s beautiful. fuck, split it in half & call it a day.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts