Author Topic: Nyjah for SOTY  (Read 33955 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Re: Nyjah for SOTY
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »
I don’t know if I’ll ever be a fan but I gotta respect the dude devoting literally his whole life to skating and despite his upbringing still has fun doing it. Thrasher blew it this year. If they’d given it to TFunk I’d have chalked it up to TFunk fitting their style. Giving it to another guy in the athlete’s corner who had less impressive video parts who’d also already won was lame.

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2022, 04:02:54 PM »
Nyjah definitely should have won it this year. He put out killer video parts that were better than anyone else. I was rooting for Louie and my favorite style of skating is the East coast powerhouse, but Nyjah brought it. He went out and slayed it, but Thrasher thinks they're too cool (despite giving it to kooks in the past and all the Skecher's and hot dog ads, etc they used to run.) Overlooking him once could be a mistake, but twice or more is deliberate. People want to talk about corny, did you never see the interview with Jake Phelps talking to Cory Duffel? Jesus, it was like two pro wrestlers cutting promo's on each other.

The guy grew up in front of a camera. How cool would any of us look constantly being watched from the time we were little until adulthood? I don't know him, but his talent is undeniable. He doesn't need Thrasher. He can just keep putting out amazing video parts and they can keep being childish and bitter.
"Give it a name."

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
I don't know about SOTY, but Ron Howard beating David Lynch and Kevin Costner beating Martin Scorsese in the best director awards is what's really bothering a lot of us.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #393 on: December 10, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
The comments about energy drinks are hilarious because of course SOTY legends Ishod and GT both skate for Monster Energy, and half this forum is rooting for underdog TJ Rogers, who wears a Red Bull hat.

GT / Ishod get a Monster and Nike Pass, it's never brought up with anything Nike or Energy drink related, it's hilarious. It's cool for them to cash checks, but anyone else/ Fucking Kooks. Terrible double standard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2022, 07:37:45 PM »
Nyjah if you like video games, TJ if you like real life.

Honestly tho who really cares? It's a big marketing ploy that benefits sponsors not skaters. Makes people talk a bunch about parts they probably forgot and buy gear they likely wouldn't be hyped much on otherwise.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
Nyjah if you like video games, TJ if you like real life.

Honestly tho who really cares? It's a big marketing ploy that benefits sponsors not skaters. Makes people talk a bunch about parts they probably forgot and buy gear they likely wouldn't be hyped much on otherwise.
Both if you get play

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2022, 08:16:14 PM »
Nyjah not winning probably did him as much good as actually winning.

Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #397 on: December 11, 2022, 05:03:31 AM »

It propably radicalised his fans to a point where they will take it to the streets, start shooting in public spaces, blow up spots, get in conflict with police and security, and even bomb some urban hills.
There will be alot of disorder.

AR abstain

• Rep: -25
« Reply #398 on: December 11, 2022, 05:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It propably radicalised his fans to a point where they will take it to the streets, start shooting in public spaces, blow up spots, get in conflict with police and security, and even bomb some urban hills.
There will be alot of disorder.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2022, 06:56:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not gonna lie, I feel bad for Nyjah.
[close]

[close]

He's basically had the life of a child actor. He's got a broken relationship to his father to deal with. Actually, I wonder what keeps him so motivated. I think I would have just said "fuck all this!" and quit my skate career if the relationship to my father had broke up like his did.

Obviously I don't know what his actual mental health is like, but being rich and admired doesn't always mean you are living a happy life. 

He did deserve that trophy more than Tyshawn did this year.

Are you under the impression that winning SOTY would repair his relationship with his father or improve his mental health?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »
This is just a fourteen page thread of Heath erasure. Nyjah isn't the best rail skater of all time. By the same logic Chaz Ortiz is a better street skater than Ray Barbee. Heath is the Michael Jordan of jumping on handrails

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #401 on: December 11, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »
This is just a fourteen page thread of Heath erasure. Nyjah isn't the best rail skater of all time. By the same logic Chaz Ortiz is a better street skater than Ray Barbee. Heath is the Michael Jordan of jumping on handrails

By this thread’s logic people should be mad that Brian Anderson robbed Chad Fernandez.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #402 on: December 11, 2022, 09:43:33 AM »
no....because awards in skateboarding was corny back then......

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #403 on: December 11, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
The fact that Nyjah's "Need That" Nike SB part was released through Nike's Youtube channel and not exclusively through Thrasher tells you everything you need to know about his SOTY chances.

Good call.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #404 on: December 11, 2022, 10:15:32 AM »
Expand Quote
The fact that Nyjah's "Need That" Nike SB part was released through Nike's Youtube channel and not exclusively through Thrasher tells you everything you need to know about his SOTY chances.
[close]

Good call.

you guys are insane for thinking that. nike just wants people to see it whether they are skateboarders or not. nike is 100x the entity that thrasher is and every skateboarder is going to know about this part regardless if thrasher posts it or not. you can’t say that the average person outside of skateboarding will see it if thrasher posts it vs if nike does.

everything is about money and thrasher needs nike more than nike needs thrasher
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #405 on: December 11, 2022, 11:48:57 AM »

May not be people's favourite or perhaps even look the best skating them, but I would argue he is the best at skating handrails after that last part. Only thing I haven't seen him try on a handrail is gapping from rail to rail.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #406 on: December 11, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »
Nah hate the guy all you want but Nyjah is the all time rail king now. That’s not a diss on Heath just like it’s not a diss on Kien Lieu that Tyshawn is the ollie king now

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2022, 12:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

May not be people's favourite or perhaps even look the best skating them, but I would argue he is the best at skating handrails after that last part. Only thing I haven't seen him try on a handrail is gapping from rail to rail.

This makes it pretty clear that nyjah does make it look too easy.  He’s clearly the best rail skater of all time.  In regards to heath, one of my favorites all time, you could say he was more groundbreaking and had better style, but he’s not technically better. 

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2022, 12:25:05 PM »
heath is rodman to nyjah to is karl malone, lots of stats little impact to the game

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #409 on: December 11, 2022, 12:45:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nah hate the guy all you want but Nyjah is the all time rail king now. That’s not a diss on Heath just like it’s not a diss on Kien Lieu that Tyshawn is the ollie king now

It didn’t even take this part to solidify home as rail king . Dude was. hitting all the legendary rails switch when the other dudes were still putting the last regular nbds on em 5 years ago

. Only other person skating rails that size switch is yuto, and I get the feeling nyjah wanted to switch tail that rail or probably even did and then yuto dropped that part so he used his warm up nollie board footage
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1215
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #410 on: December 11, 2022, 12:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not gonna lie, I feel bad for Nyjah.
[close]

[close]

He's basically had the life of a child actor. He's got a broken relationship to his father to deal with. Actually, I wonder what keeps him so motivated. I think I would have just said "fuck all this!" and quit my skate career if the relationship to my father had broke up like his did.

Obviously I don't know what his actual mental health is like, but being rich and admired doesn't always mean you are living a happy life. 

He did deserve that trophy more than Tyshawn did this year.
[close]

Are you under the impression that winning SOTY would repair his relationship with his father or improve his mental health?
probably not, he’s probably more focused on whether he should wipe his tears with hundreds or twenties

dannyprovolone

« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2022, 03:50:17 PM »
pretty silly to act like jah is macualy caulkin level fried or something. guy comes off pretty well spoken tbh. plus he is far more famous and already has all the stuff TJ is lusting over in the interviews. nigel is the actual goat.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #412 on: December 11, 2022, 05:30:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I did not expect him talking so highly of T-Funk, Tyshawn and Louie. He's really hyped on their footage, saying how all their styles can't really be compared and no ones "better" than another.
Fuck it, I think I like Nyjah now. At least I respect him

i feel like he comes across as a super likable guy in interviews with a really good humble perspective. to me he's the modern day tony hawk.

oh shit, this is hawk versus hosoi all over again and i'm rooting for hawk this time. i'm officially old.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: December 11, 2022, 05:40:47 PM »
Heath was the best rail skater in the world for what, fifteen years? Most NBD's of any rail guy right? Best style of any rail skater ever, not even close? Do you guys think Luan Oliveira is a better street skater than Mike Carroll too? Every rail guy stands on the shoulders of Duffy and Heath, nobody else is in the GOAT discussion

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: December 11, 2022, 06:03:14 PM »
Heath was the best rail skater in the world for what, fifteen years? Most NBD's of any rail guy right? Best style of any rail skater ever, not even close? Do you guys think Luan Oliveira is a better street skater than Mike Carroll too? Every rail guy stands on the shoulders of Duffy and Heath, nobody else is in the GOAT discussion

This is now a Heath appreciation thread, kicking it off with the most beautiful handrail trick ever done, 2:40 in his seminal Mind Field part

http://youtu.be/5ZdsdeY5N40?t=158

If you looked up 'handrail' in the metaphorical encyclopedia of skating, Heath's El Toro cover would be the picture used

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #415 on: December 11, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
Nyjah was never in the running. It was between Tyshawn and T-Funk.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 45
« Reply #416 on: December 12, 2022, 04:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I did not expect him talking so highly of T-Funk, Tyshawn and Louie. He's really hyped on their footage, saying how all their styles can't really be compared and no ones "better" than another.
[close]

i feel like he comes across as a super likable guy in interviews with a really good humble perspective. to me he's the modern day tony hawk.

oh shit, this is hawk versus hosoi all over again and i'm rooting for hawk this time. i'm officially old.

Meanwhile TJ doesn't watch any skating

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #417 on: December 12, 2022, 05:39:43 AM »
Wish I could travel back in time to 2016, just to post that in '22 half of SLAP is pissed of Nyjah didn't get SOTY

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #418 on: December 12, 2022, 06:15:14 AM »
Wish I could travel back in time to 2016, just to post that in '22 half of SLAP is pissed of Nyjah didn't get SOTY
HyperNormalization

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #419 on: December 12, 2022, 07:01:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Meanwhile TJ doesn't watch any skating
When TJ said in his interview that he didn't see FA doing anything, it was because he doesn't watch skating. He didn't even know about Louie, AVE, Elijah, Aidan, Ben K, Donovan, the entire Hockey team, putting out stuff consistently within the past few years. Sure FA had a lot of dead weight as well, the most egregious of all are his own homies Nak and KB. I honestly think TJ refused to give FA footage because Louie kinda challenged him as the top dog getting all the attention.