Author Topic: Nyjah for SOTY  (Read 33676 times)

lexington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Nyjah for SOTY
« on: November 23, 2022, 08:15:34 AM »
Here it is. The argument is to give it to Nyjah. I realize nobody here will agree, but I must make my case.

Nyjah Huston was foisted upon most of our consciousness as a toddler, essentially. He was despised for his little kid style, his contest efficiency, and his so-cal bro-ness. Swap a few of his friends out for "cooler" people, his clothes for "thrift store chic", etc. and you would have this messageboard fawning over his every move. The consistent hate for Nyjah would be impossible to explain to the greater sports world. Skateboarding has a one-in-a-lifetime talent, who has absolutely destroyed Southern California for 15 years, and the greater skateboard intelligentsia turns up their nose at his "gear" and the fact that he eschews indy tastes. Y'all are so silly. The part that he just dropped has more mind melters per capita than any part in a long time.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
Re: Nyjah for SOTY
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 08:41:58 AM »
sender of the year
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 08:44:11 AM »
this thread should be like a NFT or something
Free Charlie Rambo

dannyprovolone

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 08:52:45 AM »
He’s obviously got it. Praise jah

lexington

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 08:57:22 AM »
every year we inevitably get one guy who's convinced himself supporting a skateboarder with five million instagram followers is some sort of subversive act

You dismiss what you can't refute.

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 09:00:23 AM »
every year we inevitably get one guy who's convinced himself supporting a skateboarder with five million instagram followers is some sort of subversive act

who tf cares about insta followers? Posting "Nyjah for SOTY" on SLAP is as subversive as it can get.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »
Here it is. The argument is to give it to Nyjah. I realize nobody here will agree, but I must make my case.

Nyjah Huston was foisted upon most of our consciousness as a toddler, essentially. He was despised for his little kid style, his contest efficiency, and his so-cal bro-ness. Swap a few of his friends out for "cooler" people, his clothes for "thrift store chic", etc. and you would have this messageboard fawning over his every move. The consistent hate for Nyjah would be impossible to explain to the greater sports world. Skateboarding has a one-in-a-lifetime talent, who has absolutely destroyed Southern California for 15 years, and the greater skateboard intelligentsia turns up their nose at his "gear" and the fact that he eschews indy tastes. Y'all are so silly. The part that he just dropped has more mind melters per capita than any part in a long time.

Can you give us an example?  There’s like five TJ threads…..

Yeah, sports has no one who’s like the best…but like everyone hates…..

Destroying SoCal has always been high on the list at Thrasher….

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 09:11:15 AM »
I thought the N word was banned on this forum.

lexington

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 09:18:32 AM »
An example of what?

I know Tyshawn is loved here. I love Tyshawn. His pop and style are undoubtedly singular. But he has been loved from the moment he appeared on the scene. Embraced by our tastemakers and deemed cool. Nyjah, on the other hand, has been dismissed from the start.

Mason Silva is from Manhattan Beach so I don't think your regional reference carries much water.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

who tf cares about insta followers? Posting "Nyjah for SOTY" on SLAP is as subversive as it can get.

no it works like multiplication not addition. subverting the subvesives is antisubversive, not double subversive

crunchydank

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 09:31:21 AM »
Jah should pull a wildcard Elijah Berle fit change and film a full VX slappy/curb part to end the year. Full villain arc. Anyways, does anyone have any unorthodox dishes they are planning for Thanksgiving?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:07:46 AM by crunchydank »

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 09:32:15 AM »
Yeah, nah. Anyways, does anyone have any unorthodox dishes they are planning for Thanksgiving?

Keep that ambrosia as far away from me as possible please good sir.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
Nyjah has really turned on the charm this year.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 09:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some things are better off not subverted

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 09:39:14 AM »

What ever yo say Sinner

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 09:43:18 AM »
nyjah has a hard time winning soty because of his non-core status and spats + sport short combos, but if his nov 30 part is even better than the one he just dropped then he might actually win. honestly if he never gets a soty award it would be kinda sad, he deserves a lifetime achievement soty, only nyjah has been consistently progressing what is possible on massive rails even when it seems like were reaching the peak of whats possible

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 09:45:19 AM »
nyjah has a hard time winning soty because of his non-core status and spats + sport short combos, but if his nov 30 part is even better than the one he just dropped then he might actually win. honestly if he never gets a soty award it would be kinda sad, he deserves a lifetime achievement soty, only nyjah has been consistently progressing what is possible on massive rails even when it seems like were reaching the peak of whats possible

New thrasher gives away plenty.  New part seems like it will be gnarlier.   He’s already one-upped his ender

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 09:50:30 AM »
Is that Monster video coming out this year? (A sentence I never thought I’d type). If he has anything substantial in there or even a full part then that’s 4 videos in 1 year which has unfortunately been the formula for much of the past decade.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 09:54:43 AM »
I feel like no matter who's soty, this year is kinda special and we're witnessing some skate history

Terminal

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 09:56:44 AM »
Nyjah has really turned on the charm this year.
Agreed, that last part really got me at home...

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »
I heard he has like 10 skate pros worth of entire career footage combined thats just unreleased. Goat him.

Stu Pickles

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2022, 10:08:13 AM »
Is that Monster video coming out this year? (A sentence I never thought I’d type). If he has anything substantial in there or even a full part then that’s 4 videos in 1 year which has unfortunately been the formula for much of the past decade.

the premier happened so I would assume so, if he has a full part in that too it would be hard not to give it to him

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 10:25:28 AM »
He hasn’t done well at SLS so I don’t think it’s his year

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 10:26:11 AM »
Nothing Nyjah, or anyone, has done so far has got people talking or generated as much buzz as Tyshawn subway kickflip, sw ollie picnic table etc. Nyjah is dropping again, but so are Tyshawn and Louie. I still feel like when it’s all said and done Tyshawn is doing tricks that literally only he could do and that sets him apart. I don’t see anyone else blowing minds like TJ does.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 10:28:34 AM »
No thanks. He takes pictures with cops.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Stu Pickles

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2022, 10:30:49 AM »
No thanks. He takes pictures with cops.

forgot about that, the hellride points loss on that 1 second clip is enough to lose him soty.

toss up between louie and tyshawn

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »
An example of what?

I know Tyshawn is loved here. I love Tyshawn. His pop and style are undoubtedly singular. But he has been loved from the moment he appeared on the scene. Embraced by our tastemakers and deemed cool. Nyjah, on the other hand, has been dismissed from the start.

Mason Silva is from Manhattan Beach so I don't think your regional reference carries much water.

My point is actually Tyshawn is actually receiving a fair amount of criticism on here…..

Good point on Mason.  At the end of the day its actually not who we deem cool…it’s who thrasher thinks is SOTY….

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2022, 10:54:59 AM »
Nothing Nyjah, or anyone, has done so far has got people talking or generated as much buzz as Tyshawn subway kickflip, sw ollie picnic table etc. Nyjah is dropping again, but so are Tyshawn and Louie. I still feel like when it’s all said and done Tyshawn is doing tricks that literally only he could do and that sets him apart. I don’t see anyone else blowing minds like TJ does.

Can any one of you remember Nyjahs August 2020 thrasher cover? Were people hyped?

Seems like everbody was surprised now that we've seen the footage of it.

Edit: Found the thread. Slap wasn't hyped
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111459.0
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:02:35 AM by goodatmeth »

lexington

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 11:05:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can any one of you remember Nyjahs August 2020 thrasher cover? Were people hyped?

Seems like everbody was surprised now that we've seen the footage of it.

Edit: Found the thread. Slap wasn't hyped
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111459.0

He could have kickflipped to that and it wouldn't have moved the dial at the Slap Brain Trust Taste Committee

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »
socks of the youth