Author Topic: Nyjah for SOTY  (Read 34134 times)

Logic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
Re: Nyjah for SOTY
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »
Expand Quote
What was king jahs last clip with jeans?
[close]

I really want the answer now please

I think when he tried to bs flip El Toro.

Never mind, didn't realise he sat on that clip for years before releasing, so most likely one of his clips in his 'Til Death part.

50 Lions

• Rep: -57
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2022, 03:47:06 AM »
It's Nyjah week over at the Berrics. SOTYs dont fuck with Berrics plain and simple. End of discussion

That was a month ago dude, it’s cariuma week now

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2022, 04:45:44 AM »
Does anybody know when SOTY party is? Surely the invitations have been sent by now, and we all know half the industry lurks here. So spill the juice, industry heads.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2022, 05:44:28 AM »
Obviously King Jah takes it. He still has another part coming.

Shouldn’t be long before King skateboarding bites his I&I steez with some hallie salassie rasta decks for sure

Donatello

• Rep: 2
« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2022, 06:24:06 AM »
Should go to Jah.  Tyshawn is dope but he's won it already, plus his clips are vomit inducing due to Fat Bill and Fat Bill inspired filming. Ty Evans is almost as bad but at least I can see the trick, spot and skater all clearly. Plus just due to shere difficulty level Jah is kicking ass, especially that last part.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #335 on: December 04, 2022, 06:37:10 AM »
fakie big spin switch bs noseblunt was pretty tasteful actually

yeah those few fakie front big spin tricks he did were sick. nobody really does those. 

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #336 on: December 04, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
Should go to Jah.  Tyshawn is dope but he's won it already, plus his clips are vomit inducing due to Fat Bill and Fat Bill inspired filming. Ty Evans is almost as bad but at least I can see the trick, spot and skater all clearly. Plus just due to shere difficulty level Jah is kicking ass, especially that last part.

The fact he won it already and doesn't even need it is what makes it so impressive. Nyjah needs it like Mark Suciu needed it. The Ty evans part was full of nauseating shots and fake sound effects but I will agree Strobecks filming has somehow gotten worse. And Nyjah's last part was psycho.

I'm just seeing Nyjah sitting and talking about his part on Berrics and Tyshawn sitting and talking about his part on Thrasher and don't really know how else to interpret that.

Imagine a phone call where Berra is calling up Tyshawn or T-Funk trying to get them to come hang out and the laughter / clowning that would ensue. Meanwhile Jah has Berrics on speed dial.

HowMakeBoardFlip

• Rep: -4
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »
i dont really care about SOTY anymore, giving the prize to Nyjah would kill it off and end it for real, he doesnt represent skating the way Thrasher portrays it at all and giving it to him would just be the final nail for the tradition aspect of the award.

Half of his footage is on Element boards, thats probably all of his footage from the last few years or everything he saved up for Ty's documentary, its not like this is the year where he ripped most. its just the year his sponsors decided to push hard for SOTY.

That might've been true for Thrasher a few years ago but they just ran a 20-page interview feature, promoted parts, cover, etc...I'd say they're down with the Jah now, SOTY wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Good point re: Element boards, surprised I haven't seen this come up more - obviously everyone stashes clips for a big drop but some of those must be 2+ years old lol...bit excessive but whatever I liked the part

*idk how to embed caption, quitting element was January 2021

HowMakeBoardFlip

• Rep: -4
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2022, 10:03:22 AM »
I'm just seeing Nyjah sitting and talking about his part on Berrics and Tyshawn sitting and talking about his part on Thrasher and don't really know how else to interpret that.

Imagine a phone call where Berra is calling up Tyshawn or T-Funk trying to get them to come hang out and the laughter / clowning that would ensue. Meanwhile Jah has Berrics on speed dial.

The Berrics scenario is hilarious and awful obviously but NyJaw probably has Thrasher (at least Atiba...) on speed dial too, latest article was lots of questions/photos from the same part:

That might've been true for Thrasher a few years ago but they just ran a 20-page interview feature, promoted parts, cover, etc...I'd say they're down with the Jah now, SOTY wouldn't be a huge surprise.

lesghettah

• Rep: -15
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2022, 10:50:37 AM »
Who was it that talked about the 10 year rule in skateboarding? Bill’s first video with Tyshawn and supreme is 10 years old and Nyjah started winning street league 12 years ago….eerie

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2022, 11:22:47 AM »
The stuff Nyjah dropped this year is probably the gnarliest, most difficult skating we may ever see.  I’m not sure anyone will ever try that hard and put together that body of work….namely because we don’t give a shit….

That said…give him the stupid award…there’s nothing else really going on this year. 

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2022, 12:55:06 PM »
Just went to Thrasher and saw his "Monster Sidemission" part posted and gave an audible sigh. Watched it anyway. Nyjah just looks like exactly what he is - someone who trains to skate in a skatepark. I just can't register his skating no matter how gnarly it is, just looks like he's skating in Street League. He'll probably get SOTY, good for him. At least it would mean we probably won't get his annual campaign parts anymore.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2022, 01:01:55 PM »
If Nyjah wins, Ty Evans needs to send a really nice cheese and wine basket to Burnett.  His doc on Nigel truly would be saved.   NEED THAT.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2022, 01:03:23 PM »
Just went to Thrasher and saw his "Monster Sidemission" part posted and gave an audible sigh. Watched it anyway. Nyjah just looks like exactly what he is - someone who trains to skate in a skatepark. I just can't register his skating no matter how gnarly it is, just looks like he's skating in Street League. He'll probably get SOTY, good for him. At least it would mean we probably won't get his annual campaign parts anymore.
It's cool to see him outside of SoCal, but make sure you turn the volume off.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/nyjah-huston-s-side-mission-monster-part/

cdubble

• Rep: 11
« Reply #344 on: December 06, 2022, 01:03:57 PM »
Does anybody know when SOTY party is? Surely the invitations have been sent by now, and we all know half the industry lurks here. So spill the juice, industry heads.

its this weekend, willing to put money on it being big lou dawg.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #345 on: December 06, 2022, 01:15:57 PM »
Can't judge people for getting their money but if you're in an energy drink hat 24/7 you really shouldn't win SOTY. Jamie Foy got a pass because he's a cool guy but it makes me cringe every time i see that stupid redbull hat. At least Nyjah's Monster trucker hats are blatantly heinous, Foy tries to play it off by wearing super beat up neutral toned ones that leave a bad taste in my mouth

the amount of people jumping on the Nyjah soty bandwagon is insane I understand his part was fucked but it almost feels astroturfed (not saying it is but shit man people just turned 180 degrees on the guy instantly)

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »
Can't judge people for getting their money but if you're in an energy drink hat 24/7 you really shouldn't win SOTY. Jamie Foy got a pass because he's a cool guy but it makes me cringe every time i see that stupid redbull hat. At least Nyjah's Monster trucker hats are blatantly heinous, Foy tries to play it off by wearing super beat up neutral toned ones that leave a bad taste in my mouth

the amount of people jumping on the Nyjah soty bandwagon is insane I understand his part was fucked but it almost feels astroturfed (not saying it is but shit man people just turned 180 degrees on the guy instantly)

I’m with you, especially when there’s three other skaters at least who deserve it this year.  Nyjah would be a good pick if he dropped his Nike part in a less competitive year. 

Nyjah winning would be very La Coste x Thrasher.  Jake Phelps wasn’t the first EIC, but he became the mascot for the brand and set the template for what a SOTY should be.  TFunk is so the obvious SOTY pick.  If Thrasher goes elsewhere, it’s final confirmation you really do need a shoe sponsor to win.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »

The man put out a twelve minute part of the most insane handrail skating ever. I don’t have to like his skating to admit it’s a crazy achievement and if he gets the award that’s ok. It’s not a conspiracy

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #348 on: December 06, 2022, 02:02:09 PM »
The comments about energy drinks are hilarious because of course SOTY legends Ishod and GT both skate for Monster Energy, and half this forum is rooting for underdog TJ Rogers, who wears a Red Bull hat.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #349 on: December 06, 2022, 11:13:44 PM »
NYJAH SOTY 2022

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2022, 03:41:07 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/nyjahhoustonallegations/

This account popped up on my feed earlier, only got 15 followers atm but wonder if it'll pick up any attention, been seeing a lot of Nyjah hate recently which makes me think Thrasher may not wanna risk getting the flak for him winning

wheelchair skitch

• Rep: -19
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2022, 03:48:11 AM »
love him or hate him, that part alone is beyond the rest of the field this year, which is saying something considering how much good skating has been released in 2022.
BE LIKE WATER

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2022, 03:54:08 AM »
love him or hate him, that part alone is beyond the rest of the field this year, which is saying something considering how much good skating has been released in 2022.
While that's true, it's almost like its not just about doing the hardest tricks

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #353 on: December 07, 2022, 04:10:38 AM »

the irony of a guy saying a skate video part is "astroturfed"  while having a sports avatar is not lost here
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2022, 07:27:35 AM »

This account popped up on my feed earlier, only got 15 followers atm but wonder if it'll pick up any attention, been seeing a lot of Nyjah hate recently which makes me think Thrasher may not wanna risk getting the flak for him winning
I hope I can find the screenshot where she also tweeted Tom Cruise hit her at a party.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #355 on: December 07, 2022, 08:27:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I hope I can find the screenshot where she also tweeted Tom Cruise hit her at a party.

This is all easily searchable public info, but you can see in Twitter histories that the user who made the accusation, who then went by (@)cutiecig, is still on Twitter as (@)6333393_a, and 6333393_a is screenshot in a number of those posts on that Instagram account.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cdubble

• Rep: 11
« Reply #356 on: December 07, 2022, 10:17:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
thought this as well, i'd bet there are at least a dozen accounts that registered right when his part dropped, went on about how sick he was and deserved the award because "he gave up his street league season" and will never post ever again after the new year

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

its this weekend, willing to put money on it being big lou dawg.
[close]
nope, next weekend

you indeed are correct it is not this weekend.... whoopsies, shows me for thinkin i was in the know for once haha

Donatello

• Rep: 2
« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2022, 05:10:42 AM »

this. Need That was above anything else trick wise skating wise difficulty wise pushing the level wise etc etc

it's hands down the Jah this year, love it or hate it

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2022, 05:46:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this. Need That was above anything else trick wise skating wise difficulty wise pushing the level wise etc etc

it's hands down the Jah this year, love it or hate it

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2022, 08:11:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the irony of a guy saying a skate video part is "astroturfed"  while having a sports avatar is not lost here

You know what else is on you that isn't lost? Your virginity