Author Topic: Any school teachers?  (Read 1325 times)

sexhaver2006

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Any school teachers?
« on: March 06, 2022, 07:31:09 AM »
Hey everyone, was wondering if there were any teachers on these boards.

I'm currently doing a part-time english teaching gig at an elementary school in Spain and am thinking about getting a credential when I come back stateside. This isn't really a factor in my decision, but I was wondering how all you teachers navigate hitting the parks? It seems like it would be so weird to roll into the park after work for a session with the homies only to see students there too. I wouldn't wanna kill the vibe if they're trying to just relax and vape or whatever it is kids do. On the other hand, maybe it would be a positive thing for them to see an adult they know skating and having a good time and being cool all while holding down a normal job and whatnot.

Thanks a bunch :)

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Any school teachers?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »
not a teacher but im a school janitor so its kind of similar vibe, a couple of kids i know from the park have said what's up to me at work and it's def awkward. i pretty much had to talk to them and let them know we're cool but they can't be making it known that I know them for my job security and they all seem to get it
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 10:03:51 AM »
It's important in teaching to live near where you teach but maybe not to live across the street from the school if you go to the skate park maybe go to town over or maybe teach a town over from where you go

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 10:12:12 AM »
Hey everyone, was wondering if there were any teachers on these boards.

I'm currently doing a part-time english teaching gig at an elementary school in Spain and am thinking about getting a credential when I come back stateside. This isn't really a factor in my decision, but I was wondering how all you teachers navigate hitting the parks? It seems like it would be so weird to roll into the park after work for a session with the homies only to see students there too. I wouldn't wanna kill the vibe if they're trying to just relax and vape or whatever it is kids do. On the other hand, maybe it would be a positive thing for them to see an adult they know skating and having a good time and being cool all while holding down a normal job and whatnot.

Thanks a bunch :)

I am a teacher in Germany. I think some of my students know that I skate, but so far I haven‘t really met anyone skating a local park. I think it would be alright if I met them at a public skatepark, though. I don‘t really care if my students drink or smoke in their free time and if they feel awkward that‘s more of their problem imo. I do feel a bit weird about skating street though, since it isn‘t really legal and I work for the state.

My school is actually a pretty good street spot, but since I have started my teacher‘s position there, I haven’t skated it. I hear my colleagues complain about people skateboarding there after school hours and moving around the ping pong tables to make low to high ledges. It‘s pretty funny because I know exactly who did it and would be skating with them if I didn’t have that job.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 01:12:46 PM »
I teach elementary school and talk pretty openly with students about skating. Every year there are always a few boys who take interest in it, but I've never had a student who already had skate experience in any way. Last year I had a student who was really interested in starting skating after seeing me skate downtown in our city. He was enrolled in an after school tutoring program I was running at the time, and as a reward for getting his math grade up he built a complete with stuff I provided. I taught him in summer school last summer and he's in my class again this year (I "looped" up to the next grade level with my class), so I've seen his progression and he's learned how to shove it and pop little ollies. Hopefully he sticks with it!

His mom reached out one day to let me know they'd be at the skatepark nearest to us, but I was out of town so we never really got to skate. However, I do skate with lots of kids who attend the school district where I teach or who just graduated from the high school. I'm just always really up front about it, they usually get stoked that a teacher skates and the younger kids do honestly behave a little better when I'm around from what I can tell.

It can be a little awkward when I'm at a park with a buddy and I can see they're getting annoyed with how much the kids are talking to us or asking us to play skate because they know me and that I work with kids, but most of my friends are just as down to be positive around them as I am. In fact, one of my friends and I went last summer and dropped a bunch of old decks and other hardware off for them at the park, which is probably really why they talk to us so much.

Overall, it's a little bit awkward but the kids actually tend to think it's sick if they find out you're a teacher. I don't feel it's my place to check the kids on their behavior in that setting outside of regular skatepark etiquette and yelling at some white kids for using the "n" word, but it can feel a little bit weird having to clean up your own language and put up with a lot of little kids trying to talk to you and your pals. I think if I taught older students it'd probably be more awkward because they're more likely to be doing shit at the park that they wouldn't want a teacher knowing about... it would be mad weird for everyone if you saw your students getting high or something.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »
oh man, I've worked a grip of school based jobs.

Once I got a teacher certification I worked as a building sub- just got paid to walk around and kick it, make sure kids were being decent. Spent a lot of time in the "romper room" self-contained class, which was alright. Waste of time for everyone, but the goal I had was to teach the kids "how to play the game" and make it through school. Many of those kids reached out later in life to say "thanks for caring. you were the only one who cared and helped me graduate." So that was cool.

I've worked as a classroom aide and 1:1 paraprofessional. that's a thankless job most of the time, but it really helps you get to know what works and doesn't in a classroom and for the students.

Worked as a long term substitute art teacher and English teacher for 6 months each. I also had a year long job as a head teacher in a severe special needs classroom. My certificate is in 2ndary English.

I don't really like working as a teacher and I'm now working as a school counselor/social worker in a smallish rural k-8 while completing my Master's in Social Work. It allows a lot more flexibility to affect kids and get good work done while not having to worry about grades, tests, etc. Kinda get to design my own job description. Working with numerous homeless kids families, kids with crazy ACEs, and all that.

The benefits of teaching are cool, but the system gets brutal. I'd say if you care about SEL sorta stuff, try to get into a counseling gig instead. Different sort of responsibility, but it's doing more important work. Teachers are NOT respected in the US. If you get a gig and hang in there in a solid district, your pay and benefits/retirement will be nice after 10 years, but it's rough at first. A big part of my job is coaching teachers and stuff, providing mental health checks and modeling how to do PBIS (positive behavior intervention and supports).

all told, it's alright, but if you can afford to make a lower wage, try getting into a regular subbing job in a US school and see what it's like. I figure it takes at least 6 months to determine if it's going to work for you. Holler at me with any questions.

A reality is that, if you live where you teach, you will run into students and families. I've been high as fuck at a resturant or store and had to talk with kids and parents. It's not the best feeling! Luckily I'm currently a counselor and get to tell people how rad their kids are!

Regardless, its a high level job that does the good work. holler with any questions
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 02:45:26 PM »
@IusedToSkateMore definitely considering making the switch from classroom teacher to a counseling position soon... I just need to build up the courage to make the career change.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 03:12:10 PM »
@IusedToSkateMore definitely considering making the switch from classroom teacher to a counseling position soon... I just need to build up the courage to make the career change.

Idk where you're at, but social work is the route to go. Can do .ore w a social work masters than counseling or psych. Can do research, case mgmt, licensed clinical therapy, school social work/counseling etc. Social work is based on equity and social justice ala "what happened yo you" v "what's wrong with you."

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 08:41:16 AM »
Im a librarian at an elementary school and also working on getting my credentials to be a teacher. I have worked in schools for the past 8 years and all of the students I have worked with know I skate. When I go to my local park it was in the school district I used to work in and occasionally would see students. A couple years ago I did a skate demo for the school I worked at with a bunch of my friends from my local shop. The kids absolutely loved it, they were shocked to see me skate especially at school so that gave me some cool points. Now at my new school I made a video kinda introducing myself and what I do in the library and was able to put in a skate clip in it (me doing a kickflip on flat outside the library), the principle didnt like it but she said I can still use it but as a "don't do this" thing. Frankly Im a lil apprehensive if I see a student at a park because most likely or not their parent will be there and I feel like I have to be on my best behavior. Parents see a guy skating with a full on beard talking to a lil kid and it freaks them out.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 09:36:44 AM »
Im a librarian at an elementary school and also working on getting my credentials to be a teacher. I have worked in schools for the past 8 years and all of the students I have worked with know I skate. When I go to my local park it was in the school district I used to work in and occasionally would see students. A couple years ago I did a skate demo for the school I worked at with a bunch of my friends from my local shop. The kids absolutely loved it, they were shocked to see me skate especially at school so that gave me some cool points. Now at my new school I made a video kinda introducing myself and what I do in the library and was able to put in a skate clip in it (me doing a kickflip on flat outside the library), the principle didnt like it but she said I can still use it but as a "don't do this" thing. Frankly Im a lil apprehensive if I see a student at a park because most likely or not their parent will be there and I feel like I have to be on my best behavior. Parents see a guy skating with a full on beard talking to a lil kid and it freaks them out.

the kids at this school definitely know I skate, but a lot of their parents did or surf, so it's no big thing. It is kinda weird though when they say "Mr. IUTSM, I saw you outside my swim practice and you were jumping high on a skateboard." I'm thinking that it's a good thing I wasn't throwing curse word around and all that.

When I was working a high school a town over from where I grew up in MA, there was a really weird intersection of interests and shared space. I think I was 26, so the older kids skating were 10 or less years younger than me and definitely knew the people I skated with, for better or worse. Some of those kids definitely saw me drinking/smoking weed at different points outside school. it forced me to have really, real conversations with a good handful of students that were on the road to trouble. Talked a lot about how in school and work we're "playing the game that you're going to have to play either way. you get get bent out of shape and get beat because you're having a hard time and making poor choices at school, like getting high or carrying bud, or you can leave that in the bushes outside and make it through the day as best you can." Not the most trauma informed approach, but I've run into kids later who expressed really appreciating those chats.

man, those were some cool jobs

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
@lamfordie the most awkward part is definitely having to "play that role" you play around young people to set the best example possible when you just wanna skate and be you. I find being as real as possible around kids without revealing too much helps balance that act out.

And @IusedToSkateMore I bet those kids really appreciated being seen for real rather than getting the same ol same ol toxic/false positivity that runs rampant in the school system.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 03:50:47 PM »
@lamfordie the most awkward part is definitely having to "play that role" you play around young people to set the best example possible when you just wanna skate and be you. I find being as real as possible around kids without revealing too much helps balance that act out.

And @IusedToSkateMore I bet those kids really appreciated being seen for real rather than getting the same ol same ol toxic/false positivity that runs rampant in the school system.

hey man, thanks for saying that. you know, it's been my forte- seeing and hearing the kids for who they are and who they can become. the counseling job makes this a lot easier as I'm not focused on grades and all that shit

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 06:31:38 AM »
I teach at the university level, so it’s a little different, but there are similar dynamics. I won’t ever skate on campus, point blank. If kids want to go for it, I don’t blame em, campuses always have good spots, but I won’t jeopardize my job for it.

I always kept it super secret in the past but I’ve started to tell my coworkers now, they don’t really care one way or the other for the most part.

I did find myself at a house party off campus where one of my students recognized me once. It was kind of awkward but these kids are technically adults so it’s nothing too horrendously awkward. Still, I felt like I learned my lesson and I try to be more careful about where I hang out now. I just don’t want to be reminded of work in my free time.

Anyway my advice would just be to skate somewhere else. Don't shit where you eat. You might still run into students if you’re skating in the town next door, but it’s gotta be far less of an issue.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 08:37:07 AM »
A little more than 10 years ago I was an 8th grade US history teacher and I loved it. I got a teaching job in the city where I grew up and several of the kids at the local skatepark ended up being my students, so they already knew who I was when I started and there was no hiding that I skated. They would come sit in my room during lunch time to talk skating and look at magazines while I graded papers and whatnot. Then I'd run into them at the skatepark after school and they'd ask to film me with their new fisheye setups and I'd teach them about filming since I am also a filmer haha. It was pretty funny.

Skating definitely helped me build a connection with my students (for the ones that didn't skate just as much as the kids that did skate) that I likely would not have been able to build otherwise. There's no doubt it gave me an "in" that enabled me to help students and make a greater positive impact.

When I took the job I was told the position would no longer exist the following school year, so before the year ended I made a little video for my students to celebrate our time together that included some skating in it. The video ended up getting reposted on a bunch of those skate YouTube channels (like SkateChannel TV) that would repost videos and made its rounds on the internet (including to Slap) back at that time. I think there was a lot more novelty to being a school teacher that skateboarded back then as it was not a common combination.

Unfortunately after the massive budget cuts to education that happened in the years immediately following the 2008 Recession, I decided to go back to college to pursue a more stable/versatile career in healthcare and became an Occupational Therapist. Luckily being an OT still allows me the ability to work with and help kids in schools. At the moment, I primarily work with kids that have various physical and/or cognitive disabilities. Quite a few of them are refugees from Yemen and Afghanistan. I don't tell anyone at my current job that I skate. My long term goal though is to one day become a professor of Occupational Therapy and have my own classroom to teach again. I'd be really stoked on that.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:41:52 PM by Sidewalk Funk. »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 09:19:21 AM »
A little more than 10 years ago I was an 8th grade US history teacher and I loved it. I got a teaching job in the city where I grew up and several of the kids at the local skatepark ended up being my students, so they already knew who I was when I started and there was no hiding that I skated. They would come sit in my room during lunch time to talk skating and look at magazines while I graded papers and whatnot. Then I'd run into them at the skatepark after school and they'd ask to film me with their new fisheye setups and I'd teach them about filming since I am also a filmer haha. It was pretty funny.

Skating definitely helped me build a connection with my students (for the ones that didn't skate just as much as the kids that did skate) that I likely would not have been able to build otherwise. There's no doubt it gave me an "in" that enabled me to help students and make a greater positive impact.

When I took the job I was told the position would no longer exist the following school year, so before the year ended I made a little video for my students to celebrate our time together that included some skating in it. The video ended up getting reposted on a bunch of those skate YouTube channels (like SkateChannel TV) that would repost videos and made its rounds on the internet (including to Slap) back at that time. I think there was a lot more novelty to being a school teacher that skateboarded back then as it was not a common combination.

Unfortunately after the massive budget cuts to education that happened in the years immediately following the 2008 Recession, I decided to go back to college to pursue a more stable/versatile career in healthcare and became an Occupational Therapist. Luckily being an OT still allows me the ability to work with and help kids in schools. At the moment, I primarily work with kids that have various physical and/or cognitive disabilities. Quite a few of them are refugees from Yemen and Afghanistan. I don't tell anyone at my current job that I skate. My long term goal though is to one day become a professor of Occupational Therapy and have my own classroom to teach again. I'd be really stoked on that.

Link to the YouTube video I made for my 8th grade students at the end of the school year (YouTube muted the 2nd song).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKChahOgVc

*So it looks like since I last looked at this video, YouTube changed the thumbnail to probably the worst moment in the video that looks borderline inappropriate haha. I just went in and changed the thumbnail via my YouTube account, but I guess it takes some time for the change to go through for embedded videos.

Hey man, that's steezy as fuck, dude. Super, super awesome. Great way to start my day during a school social work zoom meeting!

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 10:36:21 AM »
There’s quite a chance I’ll become a math / physics high school teacher soon lol.
There’s countless reasons why I’d love to.
Main drawback would be making a fool of myself in front of a class of teens.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

geezer

• Rep: 36
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 02:20:41 PM »
I've been a physics teacher for a long time.  It's always been known that I skated, in fact most of my classroom decoration is boards on the wall.  I recently moved from a traditional high school to an arts-based charter school, so it's even more ok here.  I was never the guy smoking and drinking at the skatepark, so never had any bad experiences there.  When I see kids at the park, it's usually just "Hey, what's up" and then continue to skate.  I'm even still in contact with some ex-students through skating.
There’s quite a chance I’ll become a math / physics high school teacher soon lol.
There’s countless reasons why I’d love to.
Main drawback would be making a fool of myself in front of a class of teens.
Being open to failure is part of the job  ;D Chances are, you know more than them most of the time, and if not, just fake it!

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 03:32:52 PM »
not a teacher but i did stick a finger up my ass while jerking off

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »
that's like 80% of the deal

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2022, 11:31:59 PM »
Still wondering what happened to the Gipper.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2022, 04:54:17 AM »
Still wondering what happened to the Gipper.

Me too man. Dude was one of the reasons I joined the boards.
It was rad if you didn’t start shit with him cos if you did he would haunt you with essays and shit.

He had so much knowledge about LA sociology or whatever plus very insightful all around.

Plus a dude in an appreciation thread from like a good 6 years ago made a gif with a dude watching himself in the mirror saying Am I a kook? Then on the back of his shirt he had “the gipper” hahah.
Still the best stuff I saw on here I died.

Gipper if you’re lurking just know you have a fan.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2022, 04:09:03 AM »

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2022, 07:54:31 AM »
Oh the memories. LOL. Thanks for digging this up!

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2022, 08:09:45 AM »
haha, i did like gip though

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2022, 08:48:39 AM »
haha, i did like gip though

I did too! He made me laugh multiple times. Was posting interesting takes too.

But yeah that gif you made made me lose it for a long while hahah.

He probably found a partner and chilled out on posting. He was on 25k posts or something absurd like that.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »
Not a teacher but a social worker and have worked with many kids and young adults who skate and have ran into them at parks and skate spots Any youth who comes through the housing programs I run know I skate.  Its not a huge issue but I am good about boundaries. We can be 'friendly' not 'friends.' Occasionally, I will just leave to avoid the awkwardness. And I never initiate an interaction. That is on them, as I never want to out anyone. "How do you know that old dude?"

A few have asked me for product and its hard not to pass on old skate stuff to youth in need but that is a huge no-no as I have to treat everyone the same and can't pass cool shit on to non-skaters. I have found ways to give old stuff to other programs and made sure no-one knows where it came from.