Author Topic: Thrasher SOTY 2022  (Read 29576 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Thrasher SOTY 2022
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2022, 01:25:03 AM »
Adrien Bulard with the high waters pants is the guy who did backtail on El Toro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2022, 02:07:05 AM »
I heard Burnett tried to one up when Phelps randomly gave Silas the award, and this year it’s going to Ben Gore.
Silas got in in 08 because he had two video parts come out at the end of 07 then was in a bunch of Adidas tour videos and some other stuff. They used to be less strict about it being the exact year. Possibly good news for anyone in the running last year who kept up the momentum

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2022, 04:04:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I heard Burnett tried to one up when Phelps randomly gave Silas the award, and this year it’s going to Ben Gore.
[close]
Silas got in in 08 because he had two video parts come out at the end of 07 then was in a bunch of Adidas tour videos and some other stuff. They used to be less strict about it being the exact year. Possibly good news for anyone in the running last year who kept up the momentum

Yeah Phelps seemed to award it based off “services rendered” a lot.   Also, with the pace videos were released pre-solo part, it’d be hard to base it solely off the videos released that year

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2022, 07:16:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah Phelps seemed to award it based off “services rendered” a lot.   Also, with the pace videos were released pre-solo part, it’d be hard to base it solely off the videos released that year
“Services rendered” always sounded like code for “hand job”

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2022, 07:25:34 AM »
December is about to be a fucked up month. I assume TJ drops his part 12/2. The Cons video comes out prob next week (I didn't see a date). Everyone is drumming up those 2. I can't see T-Funk in the running without more footage although he has been filming in the Bay heavily. I'd rather Jeff get it. Given he is SF local, has a lot of footage, and unique footage at that.

Baker pros are on Instagram talking about the forthcoming but as-of-yet unannounced T-Funk part, so it's definitely coming.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2022, 08:14:10 AM »
Expand Quote
December is about to be a fucked up month. I assume TJ drops his part 12/2. The Cons video comes out prob next week (I didn't see a date). Everyone is drumming up those 2. I can't see T-Funk in the running without more footage although he has been filming in the Bay heavily. I'd rather Jeff get it. Given he is SF local, has a lot of footage, and unique footage at that.
[close]

Baker pros are on Instagram talking about the forthcoming but as-of-yet unannounced T-Funk part, so it's definitely coming.
Oh sick. TFunk has had a great run of video parts- DC promo, Baker 4 and then the one with Tyson. Can’t wait for his next.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
“Services rendered” always sounded like code for “hand job”

Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #307 on: November 21, 2022, 01:08:31 PM »
I know he’s probably not a contender but can we take a moment to recognize how much good stuff Spanky has put out this year? Dude is the best.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2022, 06:48:05 PM »
I know he’s probably not a contender but can we take a moment to recognize how much good stuff Spanky has put out this year? Dude is the best.

Had to check the date - I forgot Horses came out this year too.  Kevin Long might be my SOTY.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2022, 07:54:49 PM »
Jeff Carlyle the peoples SOTY this year, Louie will probably win it though cuz he's got better sponsors

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2022, 07:59:20 PM »
Nyjah

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2022, 12:46:12 AM »
my vote goes to Louie since I watched these 30 minutes (!!) of insanity.
Dude's been killing it since he was a little kid....and he still goes super hard. skates way more creatively than Tyshawn IMHO. OK he does not have that superhuman pop but he rips any terrain and that's what I like to see. cause that's what I wish I could do!

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2022, 01:30:15 AM »
I want a chill Soty this year. Give it to my boy Spanly. He’s the cutest, and I like my Sotys cute.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2022, 01:49:39 AM »
Still think T-Funk should get it just because of the aggression/energy the china bank Ollie transports. But do I really care? I mean we got Suciu last year

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2022, 04:57:41 AM »
I want a chill Soty this year. Give it to my boy Spanly. He’s the cutest, and I like my Sotys cute.

I said this in another thread recently, but there was an Emerica demo that I skipped, but a girl I was dating at the time went, and for the next week all I heard was how cute Leo and Spanly were.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #315 on: November 22, 2022, 05:35:13 AM »
Fl23D 64l_l_

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #316 on: November 22, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
What skater would be the best Santa Claus

Chandler Burton, Nick Boserio, or Jeff Carlyle
after delivering each present nick would sprint down the street like a madman

ejazzle

• Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #317 on: November 22, 2022, 06:26:28 AM »
1st choice Jeff Carlyle second choice Spanky. ONE Trick shouldn't win you SOTY.

fredgallSOTY

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2022, 06:32:01 AM »

Tfunk had one of the best parts of the year along with potentially best trick of the year. Plus clips sprinkled throughout GX vids like that nosegrind to hill bomb, definitely a lot more than one trick.  Still wouldn't get my vote tho, I like your picks more

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2022, 06:49:35 AM »

Did tyshawn not do this exact thing with that nollie flip over the can? Swore he won soty in a basketball court that year
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2022, 06:58:47 AM »
Jeff Carlyle gets the underground SOTY.   He won’t win the actual thing bc no one knows who the fuck he is and SOTY is designed to sell magazines.    Not saying it’s right, just realistic. 

Tyshawn winning a SECOND time seems far-fetched.   I think they like to spread the award. 

Louie would be like Scorsese finally winning for Departed.   Solid entry, obviously not their best year (bust let’s see after that Cons part).

T-Funk - his big trick was from last year and he seems pretty unliked and doesn’t have a shoe sponsor to pay for the trip.   

Spanky - has the redemption arc narrative going plus has been killing it all year.   Strong winner

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did tyshawn not do this exact thing with that nollie flip over the can? Swore he won soty in a basketball court that year

He had a crazy part which no one saw, which included ollieing over a subway station.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2022, 07:21:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Had to check the date - I forgot Horses came out this year too.  Kevin Long might be my SOTY.
Horses was so good. That’s a part I think I’ll still enjoy years from now.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2022, 07:49:45 AM »
Did people not watch T-Funk's footage this year? Its really strange to say he only had one trick. Dude was putting out crazy footage all year. He pushes full speed at spots on 58-60mm wheels and goes 100% full tilt at every spot. Him and Carlyle are the picks if you're going for someone who represents the Thrasher of old: speed and danger. The only clip I've seen all year of T-Funk not going 100% is when he was giving some love taps to that tweaker at the skatepark.

Tyshawn risking his life with that train gap? Come on. Crazy stuff.

I don't think you can discount any of the guys mentioned on this page... though based on the upcoming footage we are awaiting, I do think choosing Spanky would be a bit of a robbery (even though he has been extremely sick this year) and unfair to these other guys risking their life for clips. I don't think Louie has done many things death-defying either... but we will have to see what comes out in the next month.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2022, 08:38:57 AM »
Did people not watch T-Funk's footage this year? Its really strange to say he only had one trick. Dude was putting out crazy footage all year. He pushes full speed at spots on 58-60mm wheels and goes 100% full tilt at every spot. Him and Carlyle are the picks if you're going for someone who represents the Thrasher of old: speed and danger. The only clip I've seen all year of T-Funk not going 100% is when he was giving some love taps to that tweaker at the skatepark.

Tyshawn risking his life with that train gap? Come on. Crazy stuff.

I don't think you can discount any of the guys mentioned on this page... though based on the upcoming footage we are awaiting, I do think choosing Spanky would be a bit of a robbery (even though he has been extremely sick this year) and unfair to these other guys risking their life for clips. I don't think Louie has done many things death-defying either... but we will have to see what comes out in the next month.
I agree I don’t think Spanky should get it but I’m also ok if someone who isn’t risking their life gets it. I think at some point we might consider that dying for skateboarding is taking the whole thing too far. Someone is probably going to someday.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

jesus christ, man. i'm not even that big of a tj fan but his blessed part was all time. basically 7 minutes of enders. probably 4.30 if you take away all the slo mo close up shots of the people smoking weed. but still...

ejazzle

• Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2022, 11:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tfunk had one of the best parts of the year along with potentially best trick of the year. Plus clips sprinkled throughout GX vids like that nosegrind to hill bomb, definitely a lot more than one trick.  Still wouldn't get my vote tho, I like your picks more

Agreed, tfunk probably had my favorite part of the year, in my top 3 for sure. Yes it was an unbelievable trick but so many people are putting so much weight on that single trick alone. His whole baker part was full of fucked up shit 99% of pros would never try. His next part needs to be another banger to get put back at the top of the SOTY list in my opinion.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2022, 12:46:11 PM »
Versage plug hyun earned it this year!

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2022, 09:05:14 PM »
so if Tyshawn switch flips a table does he steal tfunks SOTY? would tfunk or Tyshawn feel disrespected if there's a "trick of the year" awarded to whomever doesn't get soty?

imagine them 2 get it and each of em turn it down to give to each other