Author Topic: Winter gear thread….  (Read 2412 times)

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
Re: Winter gear thread….
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2022, 09:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Would gripping your deck with very thin lines of griptape lead to more grip in wet conditions? Like imagine the pattern on shoe soles as grip stripes. Maybe even bigger gaps between stripes? I really don't know
[close]

Should have posted this here. Important question because I'm about regrip an old deck for a rain/snow/whatever board

makes sense. its the same concept as sipes and grooves on car tires, to direct the water out and increase traction. might not be too noticeable but if its thin enough gaps it wont be a detriment.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 11:06:24 AM »
Not sure where else to put this so thought id put it here!
My friend's wife just hit me up and asked if i could pick out a complete for him for Christmas :) man i was hype

got him
8.5" Hockey Andrew Allen Human Canonball
Thunder 149 Hi
Spitfire F4 52mm Conical Full
Bones Swiss

also suggested she get him some Half Cabs since he probably doesnt have any skate shoes either :) he is gonna be SO HYPED he has been using my old complete forever and lives out in the middle of nowhere and just hasnt bothered to upgrade cause he just skates with his kids and shit. they got a park built near them now tohugh so he has been going a lot more recently
ONTARIO CANADA

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 03:57:50 PM »
I’ve mentioned it before, so I’ll be brief. Wool base layers. Tops, bottoms and socks

I use wool clothing a lot too, including socks, underwear, merino wool shirts and sweaters, etc.

But I live in Texas where winter isn't particularly wet, we only get a few days of snow flurries/ice each season that melts and dries quickly, and we don't get long periods of actual cold. Even in January and February we'll get random sunny days in the 60s. The tradeoff is I have to deal with 105-110F summer days where 99a wheels start feeling gummy and metal coping in the sun just about burns you. I'll probably miss less days of skating due to weather in the winter than I miss in the summer because I ain't trying to get heatstroke. This summer was particularly brutal and I was waking up at 5-something on Saturday mornings to get a session in before the heat index got ridiculous, so I'm actually looking forward to winter this year.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 85
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2022, 05:35:18 PM »
I work on a loading dock so I have lots of cold weather gear.
Cocteau Twins

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2022, 02:38:38 AM »
I head to the basement. It’s still cold…but dry and only 15 stairs from my living room. Very stoked to have this option…first time in my old ass life.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »
I had  an enclosed garage which I built a 2’ quarter.  It was fun trying different set ups on that thing. 

Another key winter piece of gear is a thermos….it’s nice sipping hot coffee when you’re skating or bullshitting with skaters…

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2022, 08:19:00 PM »
    Please tell me about gloves that can handle griptape.
    Preferably the cheapest ones

some rough work gloves that can handle the griptape.

Yep, cheap leather work gloves from a hardware store, anything else will likely get ripped up (if there's a vegan leather that handles grip tape, I'd be interested in hearing about it).

Toss in some snowboard liner gloves (such as the Seirus ones @GardenSkater77 linked) under those cheap work gloves (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Large-Mens-Leather-Gloves/50119511) and you should be good to go.

I also the Seirus gloves when snowboarding as liners and on their own for warmer days on the mountains, but grip tape will destroy them.

Expand Quote
    Would gripping your deck with very thin lines of griptape lead to more grip in wet conditions? Like imagine the pattern on shoe soles as grip stripes. Maybe even bigger gaps between stripes? I really don't know
    [close]

Should have posted this here. Important question because I'm about regrip an old deck for a rain/snow/whatever board

Thin lines may work, but the wood will be slick. Get a rougher grit grip tape. Blood Orange X-Coarse had me comfortably bombing hills all over San Francisco in the rain. Same thing for shoveling out snow from spots, getting melted snow on my grip, then the snow freezing up on my grip. Eventually it was a lost cause, but it worked for a bit. Only trade off is that grit will destroy your shoes much faster.

Shoes
    The Kamik Spencer Mid with Vibram grip is made for winter hiking, but it's also incredible for rain / winter skating. Kinda pricey, but your feet will stay warm / dry. I don't do many flip tricks, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have never tested out those Vans or DC mountain edition shoes, but they are probably worth looking into if you want more board feel. As mentioned by someone else, the DVS Snow Skate shoes aren't the best for skating. They were too stiff for my taste, and they aren't really water proof.

Chest / Arm Layering
    Hella guides out there for this, but 3 proper layers can handle extreme cold.

• 1st layer - Under Armour Base Layers, get the extreme heat shit and you will be good to go. If you don't back UA, many other companies make similar things.
    • 2nd layer - A thin puffy (down is the warmest) or a fleece. Mountain Hardware / Patagonia / North Face are legit
    • 3rd layer - A shell for wind protection when you are rolling. Rain jackets or a non insulated snowboard jacket

Leg layers
    • 1st layer - gonna have to back the under armour heat gear compression shorts, been using em for years. easy to clean in a sink if you are traveling and they dry fast
    • 2nd layer - Merino wool leggins
    • 3rd layer - Carrhart pants are actually pretty incredible in cold weather
    • 4th layer (optional, could also be a 3rd layer) - Breathable rain pants

Socks
    One of the best things I ever learned from my days working at a skate / snow / surf shop was to only wear 1 pair of socks when snowboarding. Same goes for skating. 2 is gonna trap your sweat and make you cold.

Head / face
    • 3m Thinsulate beanies are affordable, and very warm.
    • Seirus Balaclavas are legit for face protection.

[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 08:37:41 PM by tkp »

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
    « Reply #37 on: November 20, 2022, 01:50:14 AM »
    - shoes half size up
    - thick wool socks
    - fleece/polypropylene tights
    - carhartts or bens
    - polyester t shirt
    - thick fleece jacket
    - polyester hoodie
    - beanie/ski mask
    - kinco mitts
    - 97a f4 conical full
    - rough griptape like bones hardcore or vicious
    - thermos

If it's not quite as cold:

Silkweight poly longjohns
    Thinner fleece jacket
    Wells Lamont gloves

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 02:04:41 AM by swongolianbbq »

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 152
    « Reply #38 on: November 20, 2022, 06:47:51 AM »
    It’s been about a ten day cold spell (highs not going over 35F at peak heating, lows at -5f to 5ft at night  )

I got some of those Dime fleece pants from the first fall drop and I’ve worn them 9 out of 10 days . Would not skate in them though

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
    • Rep: 1568
    « Reply #39 on: November 23, 2022, 10:43:30 PM »
    I think there’s a place to get a thrifted or cheaper puffer or micro puffer….a beater one that if it gets messed up you don’t get bummed.  Carhartt stuff is just so heavy…..