Author Topic: Are OJ Nomads good?  (Read 1247 times)

RaptorHunter182

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Are OJ Nomads good?
« on: November 24, 2022, 10:18:13 AM »
I am currently on some 99a Spitfire F4 Conical Fulls and while I like them a lot, I want to be able to maintain momentum on crusty roads/sidewalks better so I was looking at some softer wheels that also still slide. Would the Nomads be a good option? I really like the shape they have. Anyone have any experience with them? Any alternative recommendations if no?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
Re: Are OJ Nomads good?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 02:56:50 PM »
Powell Dragons 93a in V4 Wide 54mm or the V6 Wide 56mm is what you looking for.
I got the V6 wide cut in 56mm on my cruiser.
Shape is similar to Spitfire Conicals.
They slide.. they really do.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 03:06:43 PM by vicious cycle »
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »
97a spitfires are what you’re looking for.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 03:07:26 PM »
97a spitfires are what you’re looking for.
Or this
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 04:12:52 PM »

When I tried a set of the Nomads, maybe 53mm but could have been 54mm, they were decent for 95 duro wheels and skated ok, but not amazing.  I was more interested in whether or not they skated well on slippery surfaces, which was not so good, but on roads and rough stuff, they went well.

If it is just roads and that sort of stuff, they would be acceptable, but as said the other options for similar wheels include Spitfire 97s (which I have and prefer to everything else in that regard) or the softer Bones Dragons, which are way more of a smooth ride over everything, if that is what you want.

The softer the wheel the harder it will be to slide, but the smoother the ride will be.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 08:12:47 AM »
I had an early set of the 54mm Nomads and really liked them. I got them for winter. I tend to skate a crusty indoor car park that has patches of really rough surface with some super slippery areas. Nomads slid surprisingly well for 95a while gripping where I needed them to. They did well cruising between rough to slick surfaces.

Currently on 97a F4s and prefer them for the same terrain, but these are way bigger and wider (58mm conical full). Although, I am slowly accepting that I am not really a huge fan of mid range durometers anymore. I think after these are done, I'll stick to 99s and then true softies when I really need them.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:33:28 AM »
i have the 95a natas wheel which is probably simiar to the nomad. i rode them as my main wheel for almost a year and really liked them, but when i got to spitfire f4 99a i liked it a lot more because i could noseslide / tailslide again without needing tons of wax. i think next time id rather just get dragons for a cruiser wheel - i found these wheels felt slow compared to spitfires too. they absorb more of the ground so i think that cuases you to lose some speed. they really last long though and i have seen the dragon wheels are mcuh more chalky and dont seem to last as long. so i think there is a small niche for these wheels but ultimately i think most ppl would rather have dragons
ONTARIO CANADA