Author Topic: Soty is not a good thing imo , cuz it diminishes peoples yesrs that dont win it  (Read 1652 times)

Gravity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -237
If tj rogers doesnt win for instance , or t funk doesnt win

It makes it seem like a worse year if they dont win

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
uhhhh....

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Not really? Ex: Louie and Dilo both didn't win and nobody I know thinks less of them or that they had bad years.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
Have you ever thought less of someone because they didn't win SOTY?
I think you might be taking it a little too seriously.
It's just (supposed to be) a fun, lighthearted and obviously extremely subjective thing to do, gives people something to talk about. I get that a lot of people get way too into it, ironically it seems that frequently the people who talk shit on Thrasher and the idea of SOTY can be the ones most aggressive and outspoken about who should win...

Nobody is "diminished" by not winning SOTY.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
This reminds of some suburban dad yelling at his little league team, "The winner takes it all, and a loser is just a loser" or "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."

https://comb.io/HHiCr6

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
Didn't know we can get participation trophies for SOTY. I'll take one then if we're doing that.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
Didn't know we can get participation trophies for SOTY. I'll take one then if we're doing that.

Check yourself.
Bitching about participation trophies is some weapons grade boomer shit.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 51
One positive thing regarding the SOTY race, is the level the top guys pushes them self's to do. It seems like they are going the extra mile to win, also does that don't win and at the end the level of skateboarding goes up. Thiago Lemos had some insane parts like 5 years ago or so and didn't win for example. but he set a new level on tech skating, with long switch backside tailslides on very high curbs, because he wanted to win the trophy. There are many examples of contenders not winning but still have pushed skating to the next step.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
if u aint first ur last i learned that from a deep movie

IpathCats

Yea, this is a pretty dumb take OP. Sorry.

That's like saying if you didn't win (insert professional sport league here) mvp your season was diminished.

I disagree completely.

I think there's a conversation to be had about the way soty is picked though. With the end of year parts and all the other bullshit and whatnot. Idk.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
It only sucks for the occasional obvious #2. Like when Suciu released that Verso part.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
How old are you.?

Did you get a medal and diploma when you graduated the first grade.?

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -106
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
SOTY is just most mainstream dude. It’s actually a badge of shame.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
SOTY is just most mainstream dude. It’s actually a badge of shame.

A badge of shame that comes with a couple hundred thousand dollars lol

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
It felt like no one really cared too much about SOTY in the early 2000s. In the last 10-15 years I've been gone from skateboarding it seems like some big political thing now. The big SOTY race/push with people holding and releasing footage strategically at the end of the year. I still don't care about it honestly.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
It felt like no one really cared too much about SOTY in the early 2000s. In the last 10-15 years I've been gone from skateboarding it seems like some big political thing now. The big SOTY race/push with people holding and releasing footage strategically at the end of the year. I still don't care about it honestly.

Its a little like the Oscars, which were initially created to give incentive to studios to make artful movies.  Agree soty has its downsides, but it definitely gets people to maximize their talents, even if the best skater that year doesnt always win, we’re still better for the so-called competition. If you’re shortlisted for soty it’s like an oscar nom, it’s a win in itself.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
If someone doesn't win, They might feel bad.

SOTY canceled

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
That makes sense. I'm not agreeing with OP that it's a bad thing. Just saying I don't recall it being as important of a thing back in the day. Maybe I just never payed close enough attention or more likely just never cared. Awards and competitive side of skateboarding never appealed to me. Hell I don't even enjoy playing games of SKATE lol..

too fakie

• Rep: 63
It’s more inclusive now than it has been prior to the Thrasher hype era.

Before it was just 1 dude getting a trophy and a cover.

Now there’s a list of everyone that did anything remotely notable throughout the year, and 5 finalists after that. 

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often

SOTY canceled

veritas

Expand Quote

SOTY canceled
[close]

Time to get rid of the Super Bowl this year, it makes all the other teams feel bad

greenbeans

People shouldn’t act so competitive in skating.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
I’m getting tired of hearing and talking about soty, honestly.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214

ive already voted once this year, cant be bothered to do it again

doublesteveburger

SOTY is only an influence if you let it be just like this fucking second piece of pecan pie about to inhale

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Expand Quote
[close]

Its a little like the Oscars, which were initially created to give incentive to studios to make artful movies.  Agree soty has its downsides, but it definitely gets people to maximize their talents, even if the best skater that year doesnt always win, we’re still better for the so-called competition. If you’re shortlisted for soty it’s like an oscar nom, it’s a win in itself.
Kinda the opposite. The Oscars were made up to keep actors and directors attached to the big production companies. Make a movie only worth what awards it can win and it stops people going independent.
Who's the first soty people have a shit about? I remember some guff when Daveed won but it still was like oh ok cool  good for him but business as usual. Was it suciu? Lol

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -138
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
this might've been true in earlier years yes but i think it's proven itself to really motivate skaters to produce content. it's also stirred up some drama/excitement too which i know we all love.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85

Street league, olympics, and instagram weren’t a thing in 2000 either. SOTY is actual skateboardings way of recognizing who did it best, and every year it’s that much more clear how important the title is. Dude’s that dominate the competitions like Nyjah and Yuto salivate over the SOTY award.

As far as hurt feelings I think having ‘2022 SOTY contender’ on your resume could take you pretty far in life. If you’ve made in into the top 5 or even the discussion multiple years in a row I think your sponsors are plenty hyped on you. If I was skating on a top pro’s level I would be looking for that trophy just so I could finally chill the fuck back, which makes Tyshawn’s campaign of terror that much more amazing and meaningful. We act like SOTY’s coming back for more like this is a regular thing when it’s actually a once in a generation type event.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
tell us youre gen z without telling us youre gen z