Author Topic: i want to like marc johnsons skating but i just can't  (Read 5373 times)

Terminal

Re: i want to like marc johnsons skating but i just can't
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2022, 03:27:16 AM »
Ban him
He did cite Jerry as a fav so I think a stern warning might be more appropriate...

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2022, 03:31:54 AM »
you should go back and watch his 411 parts, they are a lot more stripped down and you can see how insane his style is. his manuals dont evne move his feet or body at all its straight cold dude i dont understand whats not to like about that

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2022, 04:04:43 AM »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2022, 04:31:02 AM »
is it because i'm a gen z skater (2002)? maybe it's just something i had to "get" during that era? someone please explain to me the appeal
No. You don’t like him, fine, but his skating is not tied to any era specifically.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2022, 04:54:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Fucking hell. Who do you like then?
[close]

honestly. top 5 are jerry hsu, rowan zorilla, kevin bradley, sage elsesser and

Well. That’s a good list. Still though.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2022, 05:15:06 AM »
This guy must want to get juiced
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2022, 05:20:16 AM »

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2022, 05:21:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Fucking hell. Who do you like then?
[close]

honestly. top 5 are jerry hsu, rowan zorilla, kevin bradley, sage elsesser and nik stain

My initial guess was that you simply have terrible taste, but now I believe you're just confused. So I'll try to explain.

What makes MJ unique (apart from the skills) is that he really knows how to stand on a board. Very few others do (Lotti, Gino, Puleo). This is particularly evident in Man Down. To begin approaching the truth that is MJ, start with the line with the bs 180 up the curb followed by a sw flip sw manual starting at 2.36. Try to appreciate its sublimity and build from there. Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:26:13 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2022, 05:50:29 AM »
Don’t forget the fucking fedoras.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2022, 05:55:52 AM »
nah he's onto something, i love yeah right and man down but post-hot chocolate MJ kinda sucks

fully flared - advertised as like, 30 or 35 minutes worth of footage and then the part comes out and it's full of dumb ledge combos and tacky tricks that he's clearly doing for the sake of doing, like frontside full cabs down three stairs and double flips on flat and no-pop 3 shuvs. the part is almost unwatchable because of how mid half of that footage is

pretty sweet - better but still skirting by on the strength of that david bowie song more than anything

away days and beyond - c'mon
Gotta keep in mind tho that he's pretty old. I think in FF he's already in his 30s. Away days and beyond realistically what do you expect? He had some gnarly shoulder/neck/nerve injury that's going to be a pretty massive speed bump for anyone already older

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2022, 05:58:11 AM »
This is a truly brave post.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2022, 06:05:58 AM »
MJ is a perfect balance of tech and power, he makes it look good. best hardflips in the game, best back tails...this video is 26 years old...

dannyprovolone

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2022, 06:20:55 AM »
I’m wondering if  OP might simply be questioning his sexuality if he can find something to like about Nik stain skating before Marc Johnson. Also hsu was sort of like an MJ protege? Jerry’s maple/tiltmode era footage looks extremely MJ inspired.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -61
  • eight equals d
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2022, 06:50:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ok this vid is kinda dope. but even so, his arm posture post-trick is just not working with me. and i honestly think ledge combos are not that cool man.

i can't wait for my rep to drop to -1000 for this

Get better taste
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »
fully flared could have definintely been edited down to 1 song and it would have been a lot better. but i guess they didnt want to just dump that footage either. sohuld have made it a B-side extra that he had 2 extra parts, all those montages etc.
the vidoe would have been a lot better if it was just mike mo, jesus fernandez, biebel, carroll, 1 song worth of Mariano, and 1 song worth of MJ. the rest of that entire video could have been a side B DVD Extra with an extra mariano and MJ parts.

thebacker

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2022, 07:15:03 AM »
who?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2022, 07:19:51 AM »
i watched his fully flared, rites of passage, yeah right and seven steps to heaven part and i just cannot get down with his skating. the style isn't that great, the tricks he does and the way he does them are just meh. i watch those four parts multiple times and the only trick that even stuck out to me was the nollie flip, bs180 and sick cab flip he does off those three stair sets. other then that tho it all just felt like brainfeed.

it sucks too cuz i know how much marc has contributed to the skate community and from his interviews he seems like a super funny and intelligent dude. he is everything a street skater should be personality wise.

is it because i'm a gen z skater (2002)? maybe it's just something i had to "get" during that era? someone please explain to me the appeal
i have noticed you making a lot of threads within the last  couple of weeks and I just usually move forward with a positive vibes only attitude, don't even bother with this kid.
MJ is clearly a flawed human, bu this skateboarding was amazing and has shaped skateboard history

delete your account, or stop making stupid topics that are just you begging for attention and human interaction.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2022, 07:32:24 AM »
The human brain doesn’t actually begin forming rational opinions until it sees Man Down and Modus several times each.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -139
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2022, 07:53:06 AM »
You must not understand greatness when you see it. Mj is timeless. One of the best to ever step foot on a skateboard. Do you like Tom Penny? Daewon?

this is heresy but i havent seen a tom penny part yet. and idk i respect daewons skill but his parts aren't that fun. i'm just not down with tech-y flip trick mannys. i still cant believe he won over jerry for soty when jerry had bag of suck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2022, 07:58:40 AM »
i watched his fully flared, rites of passage, yeah right and seven steps to heaven part and i just cannot get down with his skating. the style isn't that great, the tricks he does and the way he does them are just meh. i watch those four parts multiple times and the only trick that even stuck out to me was the nollie flip, bs180 and sick cab flip he does off those three stair sets. other then that tho it all just felt like brainfeed.

it sucks too cuz i know how much marc has contributed to the skate community and from his interviews he seems like a super funny and intelligent dude. he is everything a street skater should be personality wise.

Oh hey Marc what’s up? What are you reading these days?

Terminal

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2022, 08:06:53 AM »
Expand Quote
You must not understand greatness when you see it. Mj is timeless. One of the best to ever step foot on a skateboard. Do you like Tom Penny? Daewon?
[close]

this is heresy but i havent seen a tom penny part yet. and idk i respect daewons skill but his parts aren't that fun. i'm just not down with tech-y flip trick mannys. i still cant believe he won over jerry for soty when jerry had bag of suck.

Never seen a Tom Penny part?! OK, ban him...

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2022, 08:09:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Soty used to be different it was about who did most for thrasher. I think hsu mostly shot with skateboarder at that time. Also it was less of a big deal as there were six mags all with their own awards.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2022, 08:17:43 AM »

I honestly love his PS part, the Bowie song is all time. You can feel the emotion. 

But I understand if you don’t enjoy ledge combos. That’s Marc.

Thw ss pop shuvit noseslide pop over on the spine just floats in a way I can't comprehend.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2022, 08:19:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i have noticed you making a lot of threads within the last  couple of weeks and I just usually move forward with a positive vibes only attitude, don't even bother with this kid.
MJ is clearly a flawed human, bu this skateboarding was amazing and has shaped skateboard history

delete your account, or stop making stupid topics that are just you begging for attention and human interaction.

says the guy who lurks slap enough to notice that thing. sorry that i don't want to add another generic soty thread to the board? go cry about it

backfliptofiftyfifty

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2022, 08:26:46 AM »
I’m wondering if  OP might simply be questioning his sexuality if he can find something to like about Nik stain skating before Marc Johnson. Also hsu was sort of like an MJ protege? Jerry’s maple/tiltmode era footage looks extremely MJ inspired.

honestly what sticks out to me most about jerry is just the unique style. like it really is one of a kind, if you saw a silhouette of his skating you'd instantly know it's him. he rips, does good tricks with style.

his black cat part is one of my favs. its just a classic. like look at the nollie inward heel he does at 2:41 and the way he pops out of that nosegrind right before it. or the way he floats over the rail at 3:16

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2022, 08:31:22 AM »
Solid thread

doublesteveburger

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2022, 08:36:18 AM »
dude you are fucking fried

Puddy Smally

• Rep: 158
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2022, 08:36:31 AM »
Nik ShitStain.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2022, 08:54:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

says the guy who lurks slap enough to notice that thing. sorry that i don't want to add another generic soty thread to the board? go cry about it
you literally are doing the thing you say you are not doing, just don't make threads, you are not interesting, your opinions are not interesting.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2022, 09:21:10 AM »
The only thing about Marc I didn't like was Velvet Morning. I enjoy all the Skating tho.

Tilt mode was my favorite video for a while.

I like wigs and shit
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)