Author Topic: Dickies> Carhartt  (Read 4698 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Dickies> Carhartt
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2022, 05:17:36 PM »
How is this even a topic?
Polyester and pants never go well together …
Dickies carpenter duck jeans are good though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

conan777

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2022, 05:37:47 PM »
Carhartt pants are too long. I'm not even short and they bunch up so much at my ankles. Carhartt gear is way better quality than Dickies though

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 01:52:14 AM »
I like the 100% cotton Ben Davis better than both. But they're fucking enormous and only come in one fit/cut, so if it's not for you, then they probably wouldn't work, unless you have a good tailor nearby.

The problem I personally have with Carhartt is that they sell themselves as this all-american, made-in-america, by-workers-for-workers type of company but like 5% or less of the clothes are actually made in america and all that bullshit is just advertising (lying) to trick simple blue-collar folks out of their hard-earned money. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

MONS 56K

• Rep: 6
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2022, 02:54:40 AM »
I'll take this moment to say buy DOMESTICS

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2022, 07:23:28 AM »
I like the 100% cotton Ben Davis better than both. But they're fucking enormous and only come in one fit/cut, so if it's not for you, then they probably wouldn't work, unless you have a good tailor nearby.

The problem I personally have with Carhartt is that they sell themselves as this all-american, made-in-america, by-workers-for-workers type of company but like 5% or less of the clothes are actually made in america and all that bullshit is just advertising (lying) to trick simple blue-collar folks out of their hard-earned money. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

Made in America don't mean much if it ain't union made. Made in America just means "the Capitalists that control this company exploit US workers". If it's union made you know the workers at least make an okay wage and benefits.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Made in America don't mean much if it ain't union made. Made in America just means "the Capitalists that control this company exploit US workers". If it's union made you know the workers at least make an okay wage and benefits.

Would gnar if I could.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2022, 08:16:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What workwear companies in the USA are union made?

I don't fuck with Carhartt morally either, they enforced the vaccine mandate among their staff. Maybe if their workers had a union that wouldn't have happened? Clothes are still the best quality to price trade-off that I can find locally though.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »
I'll take this moment to say buy DOMESTICS

Seems like the perfect moment for me to ask: how is the sizing? I wear a 34 in just about everything. Also keen to know the leg opening size. Hard to get a good idea from the pics on the site and no one that I know rocks them.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2022, 09:24:35 AM »
Dickies in the summer (they’re thinner)
Carhartt in the winter (they’re thicker)

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »
BEN DAVIS FOR LIFE:)

FuzzGNU

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2022, 12:49:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don't fuck with Carhartt morally either, they enforced the vaccine mandate among their staff. Maybe if their workers had a union that wouldn't have happened? Clothes are still the best quality to price trade-off that I can find locally though.

I'll update this as I find more but here is one that actually has a solid selection. Mostly jeans but they've got dungarees. Even has double front for people who fuck with those:

Found the following from here: https://www.unionlabel.com/mens-pants.html

Roundhouse - Jeans, Dungarees, Double Front (wide variety): https://www.round-house.com/collections/round-house-made-in-usa-jeans-dungarees-pants

Union Line - Jeans, Carpenter Jeans, Twill, Dungaree:
https://www.unionmadeclothing.com/search/?q=jeans
https://www.unionmadeclothing.com/union-line-fr-dungaree (probably actually light enough to skate in)

B01 Carhartt double knee dungarees (apparently union "cut and sewn"): https://www.unionlabel.com/carhartt-b01-canvas-double-knee-dungarees-union-ma01.html

Yeah, idk... its a short list... but hopefully that can give people some direction
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:25:49 PM by FuzzGNU »

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »
dickies are not friendly to people with big thighs

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2022, 01:05:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'll update this as I find more but here is one that actually has a solid selection. Mostly jeans but they've got dungarees. Even has double front for people who fuck with those:

https://www.round-house.com/collections/round-house-made-in-usa-jeans-dungarees-pants

Thanks, their jackets look nice.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2022, 02:59:33 PM »
this should have been a poll
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Royce Lopez

• Rep: 8
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2022, 03:09:06 PM »
I like both, and carhartt wip

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2022, 05:54:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was a welder/fabricator and shop tech for about 8 years. Carhartt gear literally saved my life a few times. Always gunna back that. But im soft now and work in IT so i’ll rock some dickies for dress pants.
[close]

Just out of curiosity, how did they save your life? I’m a collision repair tech(aka bodyman) and do fab work and build customs and hotrods. So basically the same crap as what you did. Always worn Dickies or Red Kap for the past 20ish years. Nothings ever caught on fire or anything, so just genuinely curious.
[close]

Definitely more of an exaggeration but I caught on fire a few times, especially when I started working in glassblowing. Theres a noticeable difference when a pair of levis catches vs a pair of carhartts haha.
Gotcha. That’s what I was guessing. Dickies/Red Kaps don’t burn either. Used to do Bens but can’t easily get them in Yubatuckey.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2022, 07:02:27 AM »
I wear Dickies for skating and Carhartt for work
Cocteau Twins

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
Thank you for the list of union made work wear.

I’m a union tradesperson and try to support my labor brothers and sisters.

In my brief stint making clothes for Brujaria I learned how shitty the apparel world is so it’s nice to see a decent alternative. 

Per the original discussion, I live in the loose fit double knee Dickies, all logos cut off. They fit well over my boots and the little side pocket is useful for my dykes or torpedo level. They also strike the balance of affordable vs durable vs disposable as its inevitable I’ll get schmutz on my clothes at work. Downside, I’d prefer not to support VF Corp for personal reasons. Upside, Vincent Alvarez rips.

Carhartt is tainted now for me after having been in the store on LaBrea in LA. Not a fan of the “laborer chic” trend.

Ben Davis is sick tho. Need a utility pocket and I’m set. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1210
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2022, 07:24:43 AM »
Anybody fuck with Berne?  I think I like their work pants more than Carhartt.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
Thank you for the list of union made work wear.

I’m a union tradesperson and try to support my labor brothers and sisters.

In my brief stint making clothes for Brujaria I learned how shitty the apparel world is so it’s nice to see a decent alternative. 

Per the original discussion, I live in the loose fit double knee Dickies, all logos cut off. They fit well over my boots and the little side pocket is useful for my dykes or torpedo level. They also strike the balance of affordable vs durable vs disposable as its inevitable I’ll get schmutz on my clothes at work. Downside, I’d prefer not to support VF Corp for personal reasons. Upside, Vincent Alvarez rips.

Carhartt is tainted now for me after having been in the store on LaBrea in LA. Not a fan of the “laborer chic” trend.

Ben Davis is sick tho. Need a utility pocket and I’m set.

For sure. Thanks for sharing this.

I think I might make a thread on Union/Worker CO-OP made gear. Definitely hop in there and let people know why its important to you. I think sharing these stories and context is important. I'd love to hear more about the VF corp shit in that thread (but I understand if you don't want to share).

Here's the thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124463.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 02:34:39 PM by FuzzGNU »

LocalShrink

• Rep: -12
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
im not a burner account lol, i was just thinkin like damn Dickies are way better in general for the price and fit it gives you. like ive had some carhartt and they are good i just cant skate them well the way they fit for me is not that good, what mostly gets me is price point and fit but if i ditch the price point Polar 93 denims are pretty good for everything. if we are talking about workwear quality for a day to day ill choose Carhartt but for skating specifically ill wear dickies its a good price for something thats getting destroyed while im skating and has a great fit.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:34:30 PM by LocalShrink »

sadnocomply

• Rep: 122
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2022, 04:18:29 PM »
Carhartt WIP through and through here. Though I will say, you gotta get the shit on sale for it to be worth it in my opinion. Why pay the streetwear prices when you can easily type in the carhartt wip product you want in google and find them from hundreds of sellers on sale or less than retail. My dad even worked at the dickies warehouse here in Fort Worth, TX for years. Dickies was cool when I was 15 but wouldn’t be caught wearing it now…

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2022, 06:01:37 PM »
How is this even a topic?
Polyester and pants never go well together …
Dickies carpenter duck jeans are good though
Dickies duck work pants are preferable if someone was to buy me a pair of Carhartt pants double knee pants I wouldn’t say no but I can only afford Dickies.
Dueces Bitch's

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »
Carhartt is vastly superior in every way. I've skated tons of dickies and once this last bit of them are dead I'm gonna replace them with carhartts

LebowskisRug

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2022, 10:12:38 AM »
Ben Davis yo

Safariferrari

• Rep: 42
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2022, 12:59:37 PM »
At least Dickies doesn’t have that wannabe hypebeast workwear line that Carhartt has.
Carhartt WIP isn't actually run by mainline Carhartt. It's a separate thing through a licensing deal with some Europeans.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »

Wrangler> Carhartt & Dickies

U shape crotch yo I'm telling you yo. The best shit especially if you cop dead stock from the 90s and 00.
I know I've said it before but we need to get wrangler into skating. Fred Perry too. Just long enough to get a bunch of cool shit made and get some cool people paid.

All skate models feature a u shape crotch and a new button fly. I wish wranglers had skinny jeans with a button fly.
Thick ass denim. That would be the greatest.

Fucking Fred Perry x Wrangler x Fancy Lad this time. Oi oi oi up the Bat Haus Ponks
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1227
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2022, 07:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wrangler> Carhartt & Dickies

U shape crotch yo I'm telling you yo. The best shit especially if you cop dead stock from the 90s and 00.
I know I've said it before but we need to get wrangler into skating. Fred Perry too. Just long enough to get a bunch of cool shit made and get some cool people paid.

All skate models feature a u shape crotch and a new button fly. I wish wranglers had skinny jeans with a button fly.
Thick ass denim. That would be the greatest.

Fucking Fred Perry x Wrangler x Fancy Lad this time. Oi oi oi up the Bat Haus Ponks

oh yeah fred perry the brand of the proud boys

good look doofus

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2022, 07:33:39 PM »
BULL SHIT! Don't give them that shit.

Fuck the proud boys.

Fred Perry is a fucking punk rock / traditional skinhead thing. Has been since the beginning. And I know there's more fucking Nazis in work pants than fucking Fred Perry. I seen it with my eyes and not on a phone.
All Eastern hammer skins wore Dickies and docs as part of their uniform. Probably still do.

Fred Perry pulled their gold and black colours. It was a mistake. Now the boneheads pretty much own that shit. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:51:19 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

LocalShrink

• Rep: -12
Re: Dickies> Carhartt (update)
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2023, 07:09:06 PM »
 :o YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i was fucking wrong Dickies fucking sucks asss  ??? like top 3 worst pants ive used they dont last shit i litterally made a post in the first 3 sessions thinking i was doing some big and radical statement lol  :o :o :o :o :-X :-X :-X :-X