Author Topic: The kick flip back tail  (Read 4742 times)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The kick flip back tail
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2022, 07:02:25 AM »
I also just love the phrase “kicky back tail”
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2022, 08:04:05 AM »
incoming hot take: kickflip crooks feel better than kickflip back tails.

Change my mind.

work_lurker

• Rep: 69
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 08:04:12 AM »
I love back tails, favorite ledge trick hands down. I find it’s easier to do kickflip back tails by having your flick foot higher up on the nose, and hanging a BIT more off to the side, than you would have it for a normal kickflip. It’s paramount that you wait until you catch the flip before you whip your legs into the back tail stance. If you try to flip and turn it at the same time, you will hit the ledge popping up almost every try. Patience and Hail Marys.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

devils acrobat

• Rep: 139
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2022, 08:23:53 AM »
I did a single one 15 years ago but now I really want to try again. Thanks pals  :-*

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2022, 07:23:04 PM »
nope, never did it

mightytrucks

• Rep: -19
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 08:15:11 PM »
I also just love the phrase “kicky back tail”

lol sounds like something Shane Oneill would say hahaha

How about hardies for hardflips lol. Nollie hardies, switch hardies.

I also like "switch v. heel". Sounds sick. But it doesn't work saying "v heel" for regular varial heels. Only works for switch varial heels imo.

wheelchair skitch

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 02:32:21 AM »

Change my mind.

I think it depends if you have a satisfying roll away on the bsts. its easier to have a clean roll away from a crook
BE LIKE WATER

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2022, 03:37:49 AM »

Change my mind.

It's also 100 times harder and looks great, of course it must feel better

marty mcfly

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2022, 03:52:22 AM »
Expand Quote

Change my mind.
[close]

I think it depends if you have a satisfying roll away on the bsts. its easier to have a clean roll away from a crook
Really?imo the hardest part is to log in the back tail,slide and hold your balance…a clean roll away from a back tail is not that difficult.when I try to come out of a crooks the board flips a half nollie heel sometimes.
Kickflip Crooks is way harder compared to a kicky back tail.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2022, 03:53:02 PM »
Easer than back tails...
Miss you Rusty Berings

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2022, 03:56:02 PM »
I tried about ten tonight because of this thread. To my surprise I locked into three of them with my back foot, but my body wasn’t fully turned back/front foot was far off, but it did actually feel attainable.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »
I did a kickflip backtail stop rolling slowly next to a curb in 2010. From that pathetic performance I can tell this trick feels great. Also looks fantastic. The backtail is such an aesthetically pleasing trick, and the flip in can be made to look so graceful too.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »
Back tail kickflips are better

mightytrucks

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2022, 04:38:39 PM »
Back tail kickflips are better
Kicky back tail kicky lol

wheelchair skitch

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2022, 06:40:26 AM »
If back noseblunt is the switch tre of ledge tricks, is the kf back tail the fullcab flip?
BE LIKE WATER

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2022, 07:09:20 AM »
If back noseblunt is the switch tre of ledge tricks, is the kf back tail the fullcab flip?

for whatever reason I think it's more like the fakie front side flip of ledge tricks.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2022, 09:36:48 AM »

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »
Only once, on a homemade ledge when I was a kid. Probably didn't count but it counted enough for me as a 13 year old. Did it to fakie and my front trucks were probably touching the ground during the slide the entire time

sigh

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2022, 10:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Change my mind.
[close]

[close]
Really?imo the hardest part is to log in the back tail,slide and hold your balance…a clean roll away from a back tail is not that difficult.when I try to come out of a crooks the board flips a half nollie heel sometimes.
Kickflip Crooks is way harder compared to a kicky back tail.

Hard disagree, if you've got a good kf (or at least can catch them at the peak) then kf crooks is way easier. KFBST is much more of a prayer for me anyway

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2022, 11:37:48 AM »
originally learned kickflip back tails maybe 9 years ago? started getting ghostpop on my backside flips and had trouble doing kickflip back tails as a result so i stopped doing them. Practiced my back bigspins and learned bigspin back tails after but couldn't kickflip back tail during that time. Then i fucked up my achilles and lost my ease with bigspins and ended up re-learning kickflip back tails. Something about kickflip back tails are really fun and satisfying to do.

i'd say most back tail tricks are more intimidating then they are difficult. I was terrified of slipping out of back tails and slamming on my face when i first was learning them but once you've done a few they become much easier

alt dumb shit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2022, 11:41:39 AM »
originally learned kickflip back tails maybe 9 years ago? started getting ghostpop on my backside flips and had trouble doing kickflip back tails as a result so i stopped doing them. Practiced my back bigspins and learned bigspin back tails after but couldn't kickflip back tail during that time. Then i fucked up my achilles and lost my ease with bigspins and ended up re-learning kickflip back tails. Something about kickflip back tails are really fun and satisfying to do.

i'd say most back tail tricks are more intimidating then they are difficult. I was terrified of slipping out of back tails and slamming on my face when i first was learning them but once you've done a few they become much easier

how'd you learn back big tails? big spins and back tails are pretty much my only go tos but that trick just seems impossible to me. is it more of a big spin or pop shuv feeling when popping into it?
and do you usually slide it like a back tail to regular or back tail fakie? (to me those are way different ways of sliding). cheers

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how'd you learn back big tails? big spins and back tails are pretty much my only go tos but that trick just seems impossible to me. is it more of a big spin or pop shuv feeling when popping into it?
and do you usually slide it like a back tail to regular or back tail fakie? (to me those are way different ways of sliding). cheers

When you're first learning it, go at a hard angle (maybe even 45 degrees) so the board goes over the ledge and rotates into the back tail position. Don't try and keep the bigspin in front of you or else it won't lock into back tail and will just bounce off of the ledge, you just have to pop it like a normal flatground bigspin. Once you get better at it, you'll naturally start going at less of an angle and will eventually be able to do them parallel to the ledge, but start on something small like a curb because bigspinning into a ledge will feel really unnatural at first.

Also i usually do them to fakie, i don't personally look at back tails to regular or fakie as a different slide but moreso how i position my head to my shoulders will dictate how i land (head over my shoulder i'll land regular, head looking down at my feet i'll land fakie). Hope you land your first biggie back tail soon!

edit* if you're good at back bigspins, use the same hard angle when approaching a ledge backside and you should be able to do pop-shove back 50-50's, you just gotta pop it like a bigspin but rotate the board/your body less

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2022, 05:33:21 PM »
I’ve only ever done it switch.  Switch backside has always been easier for me than regular for some odd reason.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 02:20:51 PM by Dark Knight »

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2022, 05:47:00 PM »
I’ve thrown a few at the park to look better than I am like someone above said but never got one

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2022, 06:12:53 PM »
Have u ever done one?

I did one when I was 15 on a box at the skate park. I’m 30 now

I went parallel to the box and then did a kick flip (which I had dialled at that time), and I kind of willed the tail with my mind into the ledge, and it slid for a bit and I came out.

I love Stefan janoskis kicnflip back tails

Same. That was the only one. Also I skipped back tail, never did one.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2022, 08:38:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Have u ever done one?

I did one when I was 15 on a box at the skate park. I’m 30 now

I went parallel to the box and then did a kick flip (which I had dialled at that time), and I kind of willed the tail with my mind into the ledge, and it slid for a bit and I came out.

I love Stefan janoskis kicnflip back tails
[close]

Same. That was the only one. Also I skipped back tail, never did one.
go do one

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2022, 03:18:32 AM »

Change my mind.

I challenge with kicky front 50

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2022, 04:11:09 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm lucky enough to have a proper one on film!

[close]

Agreed that's proper as fuck 

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2022, 04:45:56 AM »
Yes.

I couldn't backside tailslide or backside 5-0, even if my life depended on it, but I could flip into them.
Most people would be very impressed when I did those, and I always felt like the biggest cheat ever.

Same with heelflips. I could only do them inward and it took me YEARS to land a regular one ... cool trick, but I always felt like a douche when I did an inward heelflip because I couldn't do regular ones :(

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »
I've done a few. One of the best feeling tricks in my opinion.