Author Topic: Who is this year’s Women’s SOTY?  (Read 5736 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: Who is this year’s Women’s SOTY?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Funa Nakayama for sure. First try front crook on Hollywood 16 is heavy af. Mami Tezuka is second for me, really enjoy watching her skate
[close]

Funa's front k made me like her less. This element vid was a chance for her to show she is more than just a contest skater. Getting one clip at a blown out benchmark spot gave me the same feel as watching a contest. Get that money Funa, but that approach to skating does not get me stoked.

I'm genuinely hoping she has a solo element part in the oven, but until then she is generic street league Kelvin hoffeler type
I don’t think that’s totally fair. She’s a teenage girl from Japan- street skating is frowned on there and when she comes here I don’t imagine she has a ton of choices where to go. Give her a couple years and she’ll probably be doing her own thing here like Yuto, Sakura or Mami.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2022, 06:18:53 PM »

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2022, 06:19:14 PM »
Mariah Duran put out one of the best female street parts of all time.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2022, 06:37:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Funa Nakayama for sure. First try front crook on Hollywood 16 is heavy af. Mami Tezuka is second for me, really enjoy watching her skate
[close]

Funa's front k made me like her less. This element vid was a chance for her to show she is more than just a contest skater. Getting one clip at a blown out benchmark spot gave me the same feel as watching a contest. Get that money Funa, but that approach to skating does not get me stoked.

I'm genuinely hoping she has a solo element part in the oven, but until then she is generic street league Kelvin hoffeler type
[close]
I don’t think that’s totally fair. She’s a teenage girl from Japan- street skating is frowned on there and when she comes here I don’t imagine she has a ton of choices where to go. Give her a couple years and she’ll probably be doing her own thing here like Yuto, Sakura or Mami.
I see your point but I stand by my post. If she doesn't have the access or freedom to street skate thats too bad for her I guess. I would love to see what she does in a couple years. I am specifically talking about soty 2022, not soty 2026 or soty potential in general.

At the end of the day, for me, skater of the year is about street skating. If you aren't getting it in the streets you aren't getting my vote. Mariah had probably the best female part of all time. That means a lot more to me than one trick.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2022, 07:16:53 PM »
it’s Funa for me

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2022, 07:18:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I see your point but I stand by my post. If she doesn't have the access or freedom to street skate thats too bad for her I guess. I would love to see what she does in a couple years. I am specifically talking about soty 2022, not soty 2026 or soty potential in general.

At the end of the day, for me, skater of the year is about street skating. If you aren't getting it in the streets you aren't getting my vote. Mariah had probably the best female part of all time. That means a lot more to me than one trick.
Fair enough, Mariah’s part was sick so I’d be cool with her getting our hypothetical trophy

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 4
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2022, 08:24:03 PM »
Either Mariah Duran or Nika Washington.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2022, 08:37:56 PM »
Didn’t Rayesa back lip the HW16, or was that last year? After reading about Jamie Thomas battling that trick it’s pretty rad fairy girl did it too.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »
Didn’t Rayesa back lip the HW16, or was that last year? After reading about Jamie Thomas battling that trick it’s pretty rad fairy girl did it too.
This year I think. Roos kicked it off with the 5050 also

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2022, 10:29:38 PM »
Funa Nakayama

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2022, 10:53:17 PM »

That part is so sick. Mariah also had the bonkers 5050 on that humongous hubba in the Thrasher vacation vid in terms of stand-out tricks. She'd be my favorite, followed very closely by Nicole who also had a fantastic part, plus the rainbow rail 5050 at the Dime challenge. Vitoria also ripped hard this year, so I'm putting her on the podium as well.

Isn't it nice to agree there are numerous deserving skaters instead of completely shitting on each other if we have slightly differing opinions?

Dr Hass

• Rep: 3
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2022, 06:16:28 AM »
Whoever beat Taylor Silverman

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2022, 07:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That part is so sick. Mariah also had the bonkers 5050 on that humongous hubba in the Thrasher vacation vid in terms of stand-out tricks. She'd be my favorite, followed very closely by Nicole who also had a fantastic part, plus the rainbow rail 5050 at the Dime challenge. Vitoria also ripped hard this year, so I'm putting her on the podium as well.

Isn't it nice to agree there are numerous deserving skaters instead of completely shitting on each other if we have slightly differing opinions?
You’re right that is nice

sharkjumper

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2022, 09:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is a much more fun discussion than the big soty discussion.

The new vent city has some good talk about how soty can be bad for the fun of skating. Lots of good points.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2022, 09:58:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The new vent city has some good talk about how soty can be bad for the fun of skating. Lots of good points.
My problem because I'm not listening to vent city but I don't see how sort could possibly be bad for the fun of skating. Kicked a ball around with my nephew today and it was pretty fun and we didn't even think about who was gonna win the world cup.
Soty is just an acknowledgment of who thrasher thinks was the top skater. Shouldn't affect anyone but the top 0.1% of skateboarders ability to have fun.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »
i hope Fabiana Delfino wins soty some day, she rules <3

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2022, 10:01:52 AM »
Domond

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 10:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes! I just listened to that episode and thought to myself how on point they are. Here's the link with a timestamp if anyone else is interested:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/25QWESuEF74VW4JqhzUgdf?si=w0LeM8a4QP6tj3T1VXNbGg&utm_source=copy-link&t=2925

Coming back to the topic at hand, I'm really interested to see what kind of footage the younger skaters will come up with. I'm hoping Funa's cover signals the transition from almost exclusively contest-oriented skating to more street skating. These girls definitely have the skills and I can't wait to see them rip out there.

Terminal

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »
Domond
Serious or troll? At a Spanish skatepark I had a roll recently with some random Swedish woman that was orders of magnitude better than Dumond. Don't think she was even sponsored, just a full skate rat. Really memorable session.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2022, 10:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Domond
[close]
Serious or troll? At a Spanish skatepark I had a roll recently with some random Swedish woman that was orders of magnitude better than Dumond. Don't think she was even sponsored, just a full skate rat. Really memorable session.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »
Nicole Hause for me.   Fs Krook is gnarly, but Nicole’s Real part had fuckin grit!
Spot on

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2022, 10:37:00 AM »
She must of seen this thread got made

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2022, 10:46:47 AM »

Oh shit, this might seal the deal

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2022, 11:05:46 AM »

Great part. It looks like she is really finding her rhythm. This sealed it for me. Extra points for using a Kali Uchis song

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2022, 11:35:58 AM »
nelly the steeziest second by lizzie

sharkjumper

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2022, 12:38:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
My problem because I'm not listening to vent city but I don't see how sort could possibly be bad for the fun of skating. Kicked a ball around with my nephew today and it was pretty fun and we didn't even think about who was gonna win the world cup.
Soty is just an acknowledgment of who thrasher thinks was the top skater. Shouldn't affect anyone but the top 0.1% of skateboarders ability to have fun.

Poorly worded on my part?
Skating is fun regardless of soty, slap, thrasher, vent city, etc.
the discussion on the podcast is about how the soty push has changed skate media. And how pronouncing someone “the best” or soty turns skateboarding into a competition that isn’t always needed. I got kinda heated about soty in another thread and after a day or so I’m thinking, why did I care enough to post about it? Ultimately doesn’t affect me one bit. I’ll keep skating with my friends and trying my favorite tricks.

caked

• Rep: -8
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2022, 01:01:19 PM »
great topic. I would personally love to see an official non-male SOTY category.

Very hard to choose but I think I have to go with Nicole or Mariah! Epic skating and parts dropped by both this year.
This Thunder vid goes hard holy shit!!

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2022, 01:59:56 PM »
Unless someone else drops a part before the end of the year, I think it would have to go to Mariah at this point. 2 really sick parts, gnarly footy in the Thrasher Vacation vid, coverage in the mag, etc. An argument could also be made for Nicole for sure, her part was crazy plus Dime Glory Challenge stuff. Lizzie's had several parts this year too plus a shoe but it's been a long time since Thrasher gave SOTY to a strictly transition skater.

Other notable mentions that have had dope street footage this year: Alexis's Alltimers stuff, Vitoria Mendoza's "For Us All" and Element video footy, Nelly Morville in Limosine's Paymaster, and then Nora, Maite, and Sam Navarez have had cool stuff in some Adidas edits (plus Nora got a shoe)

Funa and Rayssa both had bangers down Hollywood High but otherwise have essentially released no street footage and I'm applying the same standards here that we do to the traditional SOTY contest so I don't think either of them really deserve it unless they drop something else before the end of the year. Really looking forward to seeing more street footage from them.

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2022, 02:03:55 PM »
Hayley Wilson IMO. I get hyped every time I see any clips of her. Great power, style and trick selection. She is so dope. Also, she won the Vans Showdown.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:10:55 PM by Maurice46 »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2022, 02:09:36 PM »
Unless someone else drops a part before the end of the year, I think it would have to go to Mariah at this point. 2 really sick parts, gnarly footy in the Thrasher Vacation vid, coverage in the mag, etc. An argument could also be made for Nicole for sure, her part was crazy plus Dime Glory Challenge stuff. Lizzie's had several parts this year too plus a shoe but it's been a long time since Thrasher gave SOTY to a strictly transition skater.

Other notable mentions that have had dope street footage this year: Alexis's Alltimers stuff, Vitoria Mendoza's "For Us All" and Element video footy, Nelly Morville in Limosine's Paymaster, and then Nora, Maite, and Sam Navarez have had cool stuff in some Adidas edits (plus Nora got a shoe)

Funa and Rayssa both had bangers down Hollywood High but otherwise have essentially released no street footage and I'm applying the same standards here that we do to the traditional SOTY contest so I don't think either of them really deserve it unless they drop something else before the end of the year. Really looking forward to seeing more street footage from them.
Well summed up but this isn't about thrasher this is slap soty so Lizzies in the running. Do we also take into account she's coming back from a broken pelvis or did that happen too long ago?

Keep remembering more stuff but there's way too much stuff to post but I think samarria also had some clips, Andrea benetez (sorry if I spaced that name haven't slept ina couple days) had a part and was in that enjoi tour, sky brown had a part, Monica Torres I think had a part for/and some pro Volcom pants