Author Topic: Who is this year’s Women’s SOTY?  (Read 5632 times)

Mandatory Reload

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 78
Re: Who is this year’s Women’s SOTY?
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2022, 03:46:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Unless someone else drops a part before the end of the year, I think it would have to go to Mariah at this point. 2 really sick parts, gnarly footy in the Thrasher Vacation vid, coverage in the mag, etc. An argument could also be made for Nicole for sure, her part was crazy plus Dime Glory Challenge stuff. Lizzie's had several parts this year too plus a shoe but it's been a long time since Thrasher gave SOTY to a strictly transition skater.

Other notable mentions that have had dope street footage this year: Alexis's Alltimers stuff + Dime Glory win, Vitoria Mendoza's "For Us All" and Element video footy, Nelly Morville in Limosine's Paymaster, and then Nora, Maite, and Sam Navarez have had cool stuff in some Adidas edits (plus Nora got a shoe)

Funa and Rayssa both had bangers down Hollywood High but otherwise have essentially released no street footage and I'm applying the same standards here that we do to the traditional SOTY contest so I don't think either of them really deserve it unless they drop something else before the end of the year. Really looking forward to seeing more street footage from them.
[close]
Well summed up but this isn't about thrasher this is slap soty so Lizzies in the running. Do we also take into account she's coming back from a broken pelvis or did that happen too long ago?

Keep remembering more stuff but there's way too much stuff to post but I think samarria also had some clips, Andrea benetez (sorry if I spaced that name haven't slept ina couple days) had a part and was in that enjoi tour, sky brown had a part, Monica Torres I think had a part for/and some pro Volcom pants

Fair play on Lizzie, I personally just like Mariah and Nicole's skating more so I would give it to one of them (probably Mariah) over Lizzie but I wouldn't be mad at it.

Also forgot to mention that Una Farrar had a sick part this year as well and Poe Pinson (among many others including Marbie, Samarria, Nora, Fabiana Delfino, etc.) had some super sick clips in that PNW "A Roll of Their Own" video. Hoping for a full street part from Poe sometime soon, she's dope

No big parts from Breezy or Fabi this year as far as I remember other than a few clips sprinkled in other videos, otherwise they would normally be top contenders as well.

Pretty great year for womens skateboarding!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »
Poe Pinson is so good and she’s still just a teenager. She’s got a very bright future

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 20
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2022, 04:21:55 PM »
FUNA

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »
Arin?  Dutchy?

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »
Arin?  Dutchy?

Arin has pretty much just had IG clips and that Followed thing for Pocket Mag (to my knowledge) but Dutchy is a great callout. Between her clips in the Alltimers video, that one Boston vid (Orchard maybe? can’t remember the name) and her Skating Through Transition video for Thrasher, she had some great footage. I don’t think either had enough output to quite be top contenders but both were super fun to watch this year.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2022, 08:26:54 PM »
Poe is really good! I saw her skate a couple times in Portland this summer. Stoked for her to put out a part sometime.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2022, 08:42:49 PM »
Arin?  Dutchy?
Came here to say these two.

Alexis is one of my absolute favorites of all time, and it’s been amazing watching The Dutchess really come into her own this year, her style is so timeless.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:04 PM »
Arin’s Sci-Fi pro part is my most anticipated video at the moment.  Ryan Lay said somewhere that she’s a complete perfectionist.  I think it’s gonna be amazing.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2022, 10:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Arin?  Dutchy?
[close]
Came here to say these two.

Alexis is one of my absolute favorites of all time, and it’s been amazing watching The Dutchess really come into her own this year, her style is so timeless.

Alexis is the goat obviously but I feel like she’s had a relatively slow year all things considered? All I really remember seeing from her were the clips in the Alltimers video and the Dime Glory Challenge game of SKATE with Breezy. Easily coulda taken it the year of her Converse part tho

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2022, 11:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Unless someone else drops a part before the end of the year, I think it would have to go to Mariah at this point. 2 really sick parts, gnarly footy in the Thrasher Vacation vid, coverage in the mag, etc. An argument could also be made for Nicole for sure, her part was crazy plus Dime Glory Challenge stuff. Lizzie's had several parts this year too plus a shoe but it's been a long time since Thrasher gave SOTY to a strictly transition skater.

Other notable mentions that have had dope street footage this year: Alexis's Alltimers stuff + Dime Glory win, Vitoria Mendoza's "For Us All" and Element video footy, Nelly Morville in Limosine's Paymaster, and then Nora, Maite, and Sam Navarez have had cool stuff in some Adidas edits (plus Nora got a shoe)

Funa and Rayssa both had bangers down Hollywood High but otherwise have essentially released no street footage and I'm applying the same standards here that we do to the traditional SOTY contest so I don't think either of them really deserve it unless they drop something else before the end of the year. Really looking forward to seeing more street footage from them.
[close]
Well summed up but this isn't about thrasher this is slap soty so Lizzies in the running. Do we also take into account she's coming back from a broken pelvis or did that happen too long ago?

Keep remembering more stuff but there's way too much stuff to post but I think samarria also had some clips, Andrea benetez (sorry if I spaced that name haven't slept ina couple days) had a part and was in that enjoi tour, sky brown had a part, Monica Torres I think had a part for/and some pro Volcom pants
[close]

Fair play on Lizzie, I personally just like Mariah and Nicole's skating more so I would give it to one of them (probably Mariah) over Lizzie but I wouldn't be mad at it.

Also forgot to mention that Una Farrar had a sick part this year as well and Poe Pinson (among many others including Marbie, Samarria, Nora, Fabiana Delfino, etc.) had some super sick clips in that PNW "A Roll of Their Own" video. Hoping for a full street part from Poe sometime soon, she's dope

No big parts from Breezy or Fabi this year as far as I remember other than a few clips sprinkled in other videos, otherwise they would normally be top contenders as well.

Pretty great year for womens skateboarding!
I think Breeana had a spitfire part but it was kinda more just a clip/not pushing her hardest. Fabi had a part maybe just too long ago. Don't know why but in my head I decided it's everything since last Oct but I think it was just before then.
I like una but fuck I don't like that part she put out lol.
Adelaide Norris and liv Lovelace are on the come up but prob not soty. Am soty if that's a category.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2022, 12:12:09 AM »

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2022, 01:34:50 AM »
Mariah had solid parts this year. Her Rapa Nui video was super good, the flip into the bank straight to the channel tube was fucking insane. And now the thunder part is quite nice.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2022, 01:54:32 AM »
@SatanicPanic this should have been a poll.

Yeah my vote probably is for Mariah, Nicole a close second, gotta go back and watch all the parts again thou.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2022, 02:22:20 AM »
Whoever beat Taylor Silverman

You're really not narrowing it down very much.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2022, 02:40:49 AM »
Raysa is great, pushes with confidence and holds herself well.  she will really grow into her style in a few years.
but my faves are Maite and Breanna

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2022, 07:58:59 AM »
Few more bits n bobs
https://youtu.be/IgZBT4GFFP4
https://youtu.be/XsIEJeLi-oE
https://youtu.be/QQIH2G9m58U

More just a yearly wrap up than who's soty now. I think it's mariah#1, Nicole #2 Lizzie #3 and funa trick of the year

dannyprovolone

caked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2022, 08:42:52 AM »
Hayley Wilson IMO. I get hyped every time I see any clips of her. Great power, style and trick selection. She is so dope. Also, she won the Vans Showdown.

big agree. Hayley is one of my absolute favorite skaters to watch. Also stoked she (honestly not sure about their pronouns) appears to be riding for Real now instead of Baker. brb bout to go watch some Hayley footage

also agree with everyone saying Arin and Dutchy - can't get enough of their skating at the moment.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2022, 01:31:05 PM »
@SatanicPanic this should have been a poll.

Yeah my vote probably is for Mariah, Nicole a close second, gotta go back and watch all the parts again thou.
I know but I don’t know how to make one and I’m too lazy to figure it out. Kinda more fun if there’s not tho. Or I’m just making excuses. Who knows

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2022, 03:16:16 PM »
Mariah sealed the deal with two parts, though there's a ton of quality chicks on boards this year.  Once Rayssa drops an actual video part, she'll take the crown.  She already dominated SLS all year, now it's time to take it to the streets.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2022, 05:15:43 PM »
vitoria

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2022, 08:28:07 PM »
Mariah sealed the deal with two parts, though there's a ton of quality chicks on boards this year.  Once Rayssa drops an actual video part, she'll take the crown.  She already dominated SLS all year, now it's time to take it to the streets.
https://youtu.be/_lVmlN0RrAc

aiden

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2022, 04:10:44 AM »
we can continue the trend of being out of left field like with the ben kadow soty thread, nelly gets it this year
i dont even know if she's done anything of note this year but i fuck with her skating
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:01:10 AM by aiden »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2022, 07:05:14 AM »
It should be Elissa everyday till the end of time.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2022, 09:31:32 AM »
related topic: will any of those mentioned in this thread make it onto the general Thrasher SOTY contenders? i would guess Mariah, Lizzie, and Nicole have a pretty good chance of being on there

I looked into how frequently Thrasher has "considered" women for SOTY in past years (Not sure including women in the contenders qualifies as being seriously considered, but nonetheless, it's worth taking a look at)

Women SOTY Contenders by Year:

2021: Breezy, Rayssa
2020: Breezy, Alexis
2019: Nora
2018: Nora
2017:
2016:
2015:
2014:
2013:

Couldn't find the SOTY contenders prior to 2013, not sure when Thrasher actually started doing that piece of the process so maybe 2013 was the first year idk

wonder how long it will be until a woman takes the general SOTY award. could see it happening sometime in the next few years and whenever it does, there will be SO many dudes that will absolutely lose their fucking minds over it lol

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2022, 10:21:30 AM »
related topic: will any of those mentioned in this thread make it onto the general Thrasher SOTY contenders? i would guess Mariah, Lizzie, and Nicole have a pretty good chance of being on there

I looked into how frequently Thrasher has "considered" women for SOTY in past years (Not sure including women in the contenders qualifies as being seriously considered, but nonetheless, it's worth taking a look at)

Women SOTY Contenders by Year:

2021: Breezy, Rayssa
2020: Breezy, Alexis
2019: Nora
2018: Nora
2017:
2016:
2015:
2014:
2013:

Couldn't find the SOTY contenders prior to 2013, not sure when Thrasher actually started doing that piece of the process so maybe 2013 was the first year idk

wonder how long it will be until a woman takes the general SOTY award. could see it happening sometime in the next few years and whenever it does, there will be SO many dudes that will absolutely lose their fucking minds over it lol
There was never anyone truly worthy until somewhat recently. Not hating but when Elissa and Jamie Reyes were in their prime soty was different. Then early 00s it's still not quite there get to the 10s and were getting proper Alexis and baker, bufoni but still not there yet and mostly comp based (altho that's a different point, sure they wouldnt be so comp based if they could get money elsewhere).
I think women getting soty is on the cards but could possibly still take 10+ years. Even with how much good shit we got this year it's still like fukn ishod, Louie, tyshawn and nyjah being untouchable. I personally think they kind of need to make more out of the top ten others or whatever or make some secondary awards since all the other mags are dead

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »
For me personally, Fabiana Delfino, although I don’t think she put out enough footage to “really” be considered SOTY material

This highlights something interesting— I don’t think any of these women, or their sponsors, actually believe they have a shot at SOTY. Womens skating has come a long way, but it’s still heavily overshadowed by the men’s side. This is why we aren’t seeing end-of-the-year campaigns with multiple video parts from most of the top women.

I would actually like to see a separate womens SOTY, in order to accelerate the progression and the amount of eyes on their side of the sport. Give them something to really aim for, instead of just dropping a few token women into the giant nominee pile.

On another note, my pick for an up and comer to watch would be Poe Pinson. She has much better style than most of the young contest girls she skates against.

And I can’t believe so many of y’all are hyped on Rayssa. She is on an express path to becoming a boring Nyjah/Leticia style contest skater.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2022, 08:22:01 PM »
For me personally, Fabiana Delfino, although I don’t think she put out enough footage to “really” be considered SOTY material

This highlights something interesting— I don’t think any of these women, or their sponsors, actually believe they have a shot at SOTY. Womens skating has come a long way, but it’s still heavily overshadowed by the men’s side. This is why we aren’t seeing end-of-the-year campaigns with multiple video parts from most of the top women.

I would actually like to see a separate womens SOTY, in order to accelerate the progression and the amount of eyes on their side of the sport. Give them something to really aim for, instead of just dropping a few token women into the giant nominee pile.

On another note, my pick for an up and comer to watch would be Poe Pinson. She has much better style than most of the young contest girls she skates against.

And I can’t believe so many of y’all are hyped on Rayssa. She is on an express path to becoming a boring Nyjah/Leticia style contest skater.
Its gotta just be difference of opinion. Ive heard that poe comment a lot and I just don't see it. I'm not some Rayssa super fan but shes got "it". You just have to compare to say Pamela Rosa who's sort of the hucker of the women and she needs to come charging in like a rhino to do a lipslide and needs all this extra space but then rayssa can just step on her board and back lip the same rail casually.
Few years ago (and still recently) a lot of the women kinda struggled to just skate the parks they made not just the big scary rail but just get around the place with speed and then someone comes out half everyone else's size and does it easy.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2022, 09:33:11 AM »
Vitoria