Author Topic: Union and Worker CO-OP made gear thread  (Read 1749 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Union and Worker CO-OP made gear thread
« on: November 29, 2022, 02:33:00 PM »
I figured I would start a thread for posterity sake and to get more contributions.

As we were talking about in another thread, "Made in America" doesn't mean much if it ain't union made. "Made in America" just means "The Capitalists that control this company exploit US workers".

If it's union made you know the workers at least make an okay wage and benefits. Worker CO-OPs, even better (but are pretty rare at the moment).

I'll update this list with whatever people can contribute. Even if its only loosely related to skateboarding like water bottles, accessories, etc.

Pants and Apparel:

Union Label - Online store of Union-made goods: https://www.unionlabel.com/mens-pants.html

Round House Jeans - Union-made Jeans, Dungarees, Double Front, and more: https://www.round-house.com/collections/round-house-made-in-usa-jeans-dungarees-pants

Union Line - Union-made Jeans, Carpenter Jeans, Twill, Dungarees:
https://www.unionmadeclothing.com/search/?q=jeans
https://www.unionmadeclothing.com/union-line-fr-dungaree (probably actually light enough to skate in)

B01 Carhartt Double Knee Dungarees - I'm not sure if all B01 are, but apparently these are union "cut and sewn": https://www.unionlabel.com/carhartt-b01-canvas-double-knee-dungarees-union-ma01.html

Yeah, idk... its a short list to start, but hopefully that can give people some direction and you all have more to contribute. I'll do some research this weekend and add what I can.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 03:11:06 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Union and Worker CO-OP made gear thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »
i wish that union label website had been updated since 2001.

C.H.U.D.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 03:17:29 PM »
Better act fast while they’re on markdown!  ;)

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 03:39:53 PM »
Holy fuck, Union Label makes $45 FR bottoms. Might have to grab some for that price. Thanks for the lead!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »

B01 Carhartt Double Knee Dungarees - I'm not sure if all B01 are, but apparently these are union "cut and sewn": https://www.unionlabel.com/carhartt-b01-canvas-double-knee-dungarees-union-ma01.html

For anyone curious, all Made in USA items can be found here on Carhartt's website.

As far as I know most of their other traditional style designs (Detroit Jacket, Chore Coat, etc) are made in their Mexican factories, and all other technical (hardshells, rain gear, etc.) stuff is made in Asia for the most part.

I'm not sure where the FR stuff is made, but I'd guess it's the same story as the regular stuff.

To be fair, many of the Mexican factories employ union laborers, but, obviously, they're Mexican unions which I'm sure differ from American unions, but I won't pretend to know enough about that to speak about it.

#alexander#

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 12:21:57 PM »
My round house overalls make me feel like a real man.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 03:06:25 PM »
My round house overalls make me feel like a real man.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 03:46:12 PM »
Thanks for doing this!

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 07:50:52 AM »
As I alluded to in the other thread, most apparel is dirty. I worked really hard when I was sourcing garments for my brand that were ethically made and it’s way harder than you think to find clothes made in decent conditions.

Don’t even ask about footwear.

I’d often get asked why my shirts were 30 bucks cause the “same thing” is 3 for $15 at Walmart right?

Anyway, as a tradesperson in a field that generates millions of dollars for a select few off the efforts of skilled labor, I fully back union organizing and advocate hard for it. I’ll never be rich but it provides a decent living for me and my family.

Support union

FuzzGNU

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 09:28:50 AM »
As I alluded to in the other thread, most apparel is dirty. I worked really hard when I was sourcing garments for my brand that were ethically made and it’s way harder than you think to find clothes made in decent conditions.

Don’t even ask about footwear.

I’d often get asked why my shirts were 30 bucks cause the “same thing” is 3 for $15 at Walmart right?

Anyway, as a tradesperson in a field that generates millions of dollars for a select few off the efforts of skilled labor, I fully back union organizing and advocate hard for it. I’ll never be rich but it provides a decent living for me and my family.

Support union

Damn, that's a bummer. Thanks for sharing.

I actually stumbled upon this site which might help you out: https://ethixmerch.com/

Seems like you can order batches of product for your business/org where some of the products offered are specifically union-made.

Hats (beanies, etc.): https://ethixmerch.com/union-made-in-usa-headwear/

T-Shirts: https://ethixmerch.com/union-made-in-usa-t-shirts-unisex-mens-womens/

Hoodies: https://ethixmerch.com/union-made-in-usa-sweatshirts/

Don't know much about them, but might be worth checking out for your purposes! Or anyone else starting/running a business of any sort.

I might also provide some information in this thread about how to start a Workers CO-OP for any homies that want to get together and start a company without being predicated on that exploitation (or without having anyone with the individual funds to start it). Skateboard industry needs Worker CO-OPs, no doubt about it.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 10:19:56 AM »
Great thread. It's amazing how close in price some of the union stuff is to brands that have shipped of their manufacturing. Round house particularly looks like a good deal.

Carhartt is so weird. It's like two separate brands now. The duck pants and jackets made in USA are still great but a lot of carhartt branded stuff you get at tractor supply or whatever is complete shit. WIP is also trash.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »
Great thread. It's amazing how close in price some of the union stuff is to brands that have shipped of their manufacturing. Round house particularly looks like a good deal.

Carhartt is so weird. It's like two separate brands now. The duck pants and jackets made in USA are still great but a lot of carhartt branded stuff you get at tractor supply or whatever is complete shit. WIP is also trash.

WIP is a joke.

Apparently it’s a separate brand. I think that kid who works at Adidas here was saying it was a German streetwear company that licensed the name In Europe and it got popular in the States cause people are idiots. I checked out the store on La Brea in LA one day and walked out laughing. Spend as much money on a single outfit to look like a working person who takes the same amount home in a week type shit.
I got on a shuttle with the marketing minions going to work and they were talking about how great WIP was cause it was “just so good at creating stories” whatever the fuck that means.

Patagonia makes good clothes. I like their hemp stuff and I believe they’re some sort of co-op now? Downside $$$ but they have a decent discount program for certain industries.

Edit: these guys make cool stuff. https://mymorganics.com/
Its not a union shop but they treat the employees well and are generally nice people with ethics.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:52:55 AM by El Chupacabra »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 08:01:35 AM »
WIP is a separate brand, based in Germany. It was originally started by a guy that loved american rap music and the aesthetic that went with it, so he started buying Carhartt at retail and selling it for a huge mark-up in his store. Eventually Carhartt and him came to some business agreement where he pays for the rights to use the name and logos and whatnot, but it's an almost completely separate thing in every way.

I work in the clothing industry, and it's a horrible horrible business. But I love making clothes, so it's a bit of a predicament for me. I've taught many people to sew and when people start to see that making something as simple as a shirt could take them hours (or several days in some cases when they're really new to it) they start to understand why buying a shirt at Zara or somewhere for $20 is a huge problem. If someone works hours to make something, what is the hourly cost of their labor if the finished product is sold for $20? Not even taking into account the cost of the materials and shipping the things all over the world and the paying the staff in the stores and rent for the spaces and electricity to keep the lights on and all of it. To put it in the simplest terms, SHIT'S FUCKED.

My 2 greatest passions in life have been skating and fashion, and I've always strived to keep them very very separate. My old boss wanted me to skate down the runway several times and I flat-out refused every time. I won't contaminate skating with the horror show that is fashion.

Respect the people who make your clothes, it's not easy and it's not glamorous.

And try not to buy poly or other synthetics because it's horrible for everyone and everything.

I'll step off my pulpit now, thank you very much.

El Chupacabra

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 04:06:02 PM »
Runway shows are nonstop hilarity.
I do a lot of buildouts for them leading up to Fashion Week. Big international brands too which usually means good catering.

But man alive, when it comes to coke fueled entitlement they blow (hah) the film world out of the water.

Oh the stories I have.

luvs2spooge

• Rep: -2
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 01:43:27 AM »
I WAS a union welder and union steward in training.  buy from small business. question everything.
hemi sync