Author Topic: Who is this year’s Women’s SOTY?  (Read 5714 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Re: Who is this year’s Women’s SOTY?
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »
Expand Quote
For me personally, Fabiana Delfino, although I don’t think she put out enough footage to “really” be considered SOTY material

This highlights something interesting— I don’t think any of these women, or their sponsors, actually believe they have a shot at SOTY. Womens skating has come a long way, but it’s still heavily overshadowed by the men’s side. This is why we aren’t seeing end-of-the-year campaigns with multiple video parts from most of the top women.

I would actually like to see a separate womens SOTY, in order to accelerate the progression and the amount of eyes on their side of the sport. Give them something to really aim for, instead of just dropping a few token women into the giant nominee pile.

On another note, my pick for an up and comer to watch would be Poe Pinson. She has much better style than most of the young contest girls she skates against.

And I can’t believe so many of y’all are hyped on Rayssa. She is on an express path to becoming a boring Nyjah/Leticia style contest skater.
[close]
Its gotta just be difference of opinion. Ive heard that poe comment a lot and I just don't see it. I'm not some Rayssa super fan but shes got "it". You just have to compare to say Pamela Rosa who's sort of the hucker of the women and she needs to come charging in like a rhino to do a lipslide and needs all this extra space but then rayssa can just step on her board and back lip the same rail casually.
Few years ago (and still recently) a lot of the women kinda struggled to just skate the parks they made not just the big scary rail but just get around the place with speed and then someone comes out half everyone else's size and does it easy.
Poe’s got a really deep bag of tricks and her insta always has some rad stuff. Like this: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CijELE5ICTA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She’s still like 17 so her style is a work in progress but that’s pretty normal for someone who isn’t a child phenom. Rayssa is obviously a generational talent but I think Poe is going to go on to do some really rad stuff.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »
Vitoria, best best style and trick selection.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2022, 12:50:18 PM »
Thrasher gave the nod to Mariah and Vitoria in this year's contenders:
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/skater-of-the-year-2022-contenders/

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2022, 03:01:51 PM »
Thrasher gave the nod to Mariah and Vitoria in this year's contenders:
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/skater-of-the-year-2022-contenders/

how cool would it be if jj randomly got it this year
fun fun fun

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2022, 07:33:39 PM »
for me it's Mariah!

also stoked for more Poe Pinson stuff in 2022. This year some of her clips were insane

IpathCats

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2022, 07:01:41 AM »
I can't remember who it was, but it was in a recent piece of skate media so maybe one of you guys know what I'm talking about. I heard someone very progressive sounding say that judging/appreciating woman's skateboarding in comparison to men's was misogynistic.

In my mind, this kind of goes against ideals of equality and inclusion, but I'm definitely not the authority on social issues like this. And I don't hold the most progressive views in the world either, so i really don't know.

Do you guys think we should have a separate woman's SOTY?

If we don't, how long do you think it will take for woman's skateboarding to progress to the level of men's and we get our first woman SOTY? That progression is definitely happening, but men are still progressing too, so its hard to say.

I feel like there's a competent  argument for both sides of this, so i really just wanted to know what you guys thought. I'll probably regret this lol.

edit: added appreciating
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:58:18 AM by IpathCats »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »
I can't remember who it was, but it was in a recent piece of skate media so maybe one of you guys know what I'm talking about. I heard someone very progressive sounding say that judging woman's skateboarding in comparison to men's was misogynistic.

In my mind, this kind of goes against ideals of equality and inclusion, but I'm definitely not the authority on social issues like this. And I don't hold the most progressive views in the world either, so i really don't know.

If we don't, how long do you think it will take for woman's skateboarding to progress to the level of men's and we get our first woman SOTY? That progression is definitely happening, but men are still progressing too, so its hard to say.

I feel like there's a competent  argument for both sides of this, so i really just wanted to know what you guys thought. I'll probably regret this lol.
I can't think of the video you're thinking of or why it would necessarily be bad to judge a contest the same as for men's but I know they don't anymore.(altho they never actually did anyway) with skaters like momiji, yumeka, ryassa I can see them one day painting themselves into a corner where they've given people a bunch of decent scores then someone does something way beyond the norm and there's no space left to be scored correctly.

As far as soty and fsoty I can't really say what's better. Maybe an award by a female specific outlet would be better. I think gh asked Breeana and she said female soty would be wack as fuck but then even she doesn't speak for everybody

Lastly how long until a female wins regular soty is hard to say too because theres no real qualifications of what a soty has to be. I said this earlier but if it's just about who's the "best" it could be another ten years or more because even as females get better there's always gonna be nyjah, ishod, trouser, tyshawn, deedz and whoever else pops up who are basically untouchable

IpathCats

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2022, 07:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't remember who it was, but it was in a recent piece of skate media so maybe one of you guys know what I'm talking about. I heard someone very progressive sounding say that judging woman's skateboarding in comparison to men's was misogynistic.

[close]
I can't think of the video you're thinking of or why it would necessarily be bad to judge a contest the same as for men's but I know they don't anymore.(altho they never actually did anyway) with skaters like momiji, yumeka, ryassa I can see them one day painting themselves into a corner where they've given people a bunch of decent scores then someone does something way beyond the norm and there's no space left to be scored correctly.

As far as soty and fsoty I can't really say what's better. Maybe an award by a female specific outlet would be better. I think gh asked Breeana and she said female soty would be wack as fuck but then even she doesn't speak for everybody

Lastly how long until a female wins regular soty is hard to say too because theres no real qualifications of what a soty has to be. I said this earlier but if it's just about who's the "best" it could be another ten years or more because even as females get better there's always gonna be nyjah, ishod, trouser, tyshawn, deedz and whoever else pops up who are basically untouchable

sorry meant to add "appreciating" as well, because they werent just talking about contests.

IpathCats

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As someone who really doesn't watch a lot of woman's skateboarding, i used to think this would be the case too. But seeing the progression curve of women in the past 10 years has been pretty fucking crazy, so i really dont know if that is certain. I'd say that skateboarding takes a similar set of skills/abilities as gymnastics, which is a female dominated sport, so idk if the limitations are actually rooted somewhere in biology, or if they were just a result of the culture.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2022, 08:24:27 AM »
Nicole Haus.

I went to school with a girl named Nicole Haus too. Like grade 1-7

2022 I been all about hippie jump into shit. That's like my favorite trick that I don't do anymore
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »
I can't remember who it was, but it was in a recent piece of skate media so maybe one of you guys know what I'm talking about. I heard someone very progressive sounding say that judging/appreciating woman's skateboarding in comparison to men's was misogynistic.

I think contest scores will evolve the way they have for men- like there’s no way Shane O’Neill gets a 9.9 for a switch 360 double flip again.

We should find out pretty soon whether women will compete with men on pure talent- Rayssa and Sky Brown are both child phenoms and will get every advantage in growing up to be amazing skaters. But like mean salto said- it’s not really about skill. If Rayssa puts out a mind-melting part that sets the bar really high for women but isn’t as technically difficult as whoever she’s up against she may get it anyway just for the stoke it would bring.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2022, 08:59:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As someone who really doesn't watch a lot of woman's skateboarding, i used to think this would be the case too. But seeing the progression curve of women in the past 10 years has been pretty fucking crazy, so i really dont know if that is certain. I'd say that skateboarding takes a similar set of skills/abilities as gymnastics, which is a female dominated sport, so idk if the limitations are actually rooted somewhere in biology, or if they were just a result of the culture.
Yeah it's hard to explain. I meant more like each generation the gap becomes smaller between male and female. And I guess it's not fair to compare the current younger feamles to nyjah, ishod etc I'm just thinking it will be in the next three or so lots when it's properly equal. There might be some extra special female skaters in the meantime I'm thinking more in the future when they put out the list of who's up for soty it can be 50/50 consistently
 There will always be someone like oh but so and so can't do nyjahs part but I don't think that's what it will be about so much

Gymnastics can be a good or bad comparison depending on the point. The men and women don't do all the same events.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2022, 11:46:41 AM »
This thread makes me tear up with joy. Females in skating has come a long way. I used to get made fun of and shit talked for being a female that skated in the early 2000s.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2022, 12:11:44 PM »
This thread makes me tear up with joy. Females in skating has come a long way. I used to get made fun of and shit talked for being a female that skated in the early 2000s.
That’s rad you kept at it! My wife got started a few years ago after always wanting to but not feeling like she’d be welcome. I’m so glad things are changing

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2022, 12:36:31 PM »
Allysha le

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
Was Nora's backside flip into the golden brick banks this year? That shit was beautiful. I enjoy Nora's work on social media very much too. Speak your mind always
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

work_lurker

• Rep: 70
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2022, 05:31:00 PM »

I think this was in the Bunt's post office from the Kevin Braun episode where someone complained about Roos Zwetloot (sorry if I butchered the spelling) getting the contents in Thrasher for her 50-50 down Hollywood 16 and comparing it to a warm-up trick for most other people who skate the spot. I mean, I get the point, but at the same time Mean and Women are different. Don't think there's a right or wrong answer, just differing opinions.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.