Author Topic: Which trucks grind the longest on concrete?  (Read 2738 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Which trucks grind the longest on concrete?
« on: December 01, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »
As the title asks, have you guys found that there are any specific trucks or metals used that can actually make you grind longer on concrete ie pool coping, street ledges, curbs etc? And i dont mean they are more durable, i mean that they will literally let you grind for longer distances
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

IpathCats

Re: Which trucks grind the longest on concrete?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 08:26:33 AM »
Depends on how worked in it is

On RAW pool coping that hasnt been skated/waxed/sauced, tensor mags. But thats a pretty niche case of skating something completely raw.

Otherwise, Indy's for sure, without a doubt.

Source: I have bad enough madness to have tried all the main brands within the past year and a half, and I have a DIY with two different types of pool coping.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 08:44:08 AM »

On RAW pool coping that hasnt been skated/waxed/sauced, tensor mags. But thats a pretty niche case of skating something completely raw.

Source: I have bad enough madness to have tried all the main brands within the past year and a half, and I have a DIY with two different types of pool coping.

So do the tensor mag lights grind well on just regular worn in pool coping too or only raw stuff?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »
A number of years ago I was skating pool coping and had two setups.  The first had Mini Logo trucks and the other had Indy stage 11.  I spent the first half the session on the Mini Logo and then went to the Indy.  I was amazed that the Mini Logo ground better than the Indies - so much so that I spent a good number of minutes alternating between the two just to confirm.  Mini Logo kinpin clearance is absolute garbage - but I was getting longer grinds on them.

IpathCats

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So do the tensor mag lights grind well on just regular worn in pool coping too or only raw stuff?

Because of the softer metal they are able to grind on things that are not broken in well. I have not skated them personally, but i know ace classics (another softer alloytruck) grind slower than indys. I would assume the same is true for mag lights, slower grind but can grind on less prepped surfaces. If speed/distance on broken in coping is what you're looking for, go with indys

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 10:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Because of the softer metal they are able to grind on things that are not broken in well. I have not skated them personally, but i know ace classics (another softer alloytruck) grind slower than indys. I would assume the same is true for mag lights, slower grind but can grind on less prepped surfaces. If speed/distance on broken in coping is what you're looking for, go with indys

So you assume and haven't tried it? Not trying to take away from what you're saying, but I've just always heard that mags grind the fastest/longest on anything non-metal, where they can actually stick because it digs in. Never tried them myself

IpathCats

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 10:53:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

So you assume and haven't tried it? Not trying to take away from what you're saying, but I've just always heard that mags grind the fastest/longest on anything non-metal, where they can actually stick because it digs in. Never tried them myself

If im wrong, im wrong. These are what my experiences have led me to believe.

A softer alloy seems to slow a grind over time, the more it digs into the hanger.

Unless there is some breakpoint where the softness starts increasing the grind speed idk how this could change.

But I could always be wrong.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:01:28 AM by IpathCats »

IpathCats

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 11:09:12 AM »
Welp papa ben says they grind fast on curbs. I'll take his word for it.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 11:30:29 AM »
There are too many variables for a definitive answer. Something you'll have to find out for yourself.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
As someone who has tried all of the major  truck brands, except for Krux (despite my efforts!), I must say that I think Ace classics have the best overall grind regardless of surface but Tensor Maglights have the best grind specifically on minimally waxed concrete surfaces. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 11:45:59 AM »
Not Ventures…

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »
Mag lights, by a country mile.

There are some tradeoffs though, the hangers wear down insanely fast.

IpathCats

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 12:13:01 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 04:26:49 PM »
There’s a Dan Corrigsn vid where he’s skating around with this kid who just hops up onto an unfinished rough brick ledge, no wax or anything, and just starts grinding it fine.
He. Dan was shitting himself asking how the guy did it.
They were the mag-lites. And apparently they grind anything.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 05:15:59 PM »
Mag lites for sure. But since I’ve been thru a few pairs, buying Mag Lites made my wallet Mad Light. Knawmeen?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 06:01:12 PM »
how bout Theeve Tit?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 06:13:26 PM »
Z rollers

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 02:11:38 AM »
Z rollers
This is the one and only answer. Close second would be Kreeeeeeeeperrz
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 05:03:22 AM »
The pair of Lurpivs I had were probably some of the best grinding trucks I've ever had, other problems notwithstanding.

Other than that, Indy just sits right on coping man, not sure what exactly about it but they just look and feel like they're ready to hug the coping. I guess that's what the French would call je ne sais quoi. Aces look and feel good in most other realms of skating, but on the coping they're not what I want.

Also, the other guys were nailing it with the Z-Rollers.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2022, 05:05:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Z rollers
[close]

Never had z rollers but Im guessing they don't grind, your just rolling on the 9th and tenth wheel...like a bike with training wheels...one day you'll learn how to grind buddy keep it up.

IpathCats

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2022, 05:21:08 AM »
The pair of Lurpivs I had were probably some of the best grinding trucks I've ever had, other problems notwithstanding.

Other than that, Indy just sits right on coping man, not sure what exactly about it but they just look and feel like they're ready to hug the coping. I guess that's what the French would call je ne sais quoi. Aces look and feel good in most other realms of skating, but on the coping they're not what I want.

Also, the other guys were nailing it with the Z-Rollers.

Yea lurpivs were def up there with indy in terms of grind.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 12:12:42 PM »
Curb'crete maglits for sure...they grind farther with the same effort as any other truck (besides venture or AF1s)....you can grind anything in the streets. If you curb smash, you owe it to yourself to try them at least once. That said, on something used and abused/well broken in curbs the maglights lose a bit of their novelty as any other truck will grind just fine (but does take a bit more speed/effort to match the ease of maglights).

As for pool coping (and angle iron), I never liked how the Tensors felt on it...Indy or Ace for that job.

They also don't sound/feel as raw in grinds like the others.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »
how bout Theeve Tit?

I think the tensors are better…

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 12:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
how bout Theeve Tit?
[close]

I think the tensors are better…

Theeve turn better but they're actually slower on 'raw' curbs than the maglights as the mags are softer; same concept just different methods/ the Tit theeves also suck balls grinding metal anything.

The tensors mags aren't $250 bucks either...

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 01:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Z rollers
[close]
[close]

Never had z rollers but Im guessing they don't grind, your just rolling on the 9th and tenth wheel...like a bike with training wheels...one day you'll learn how to grind buddy keep it up.

Sorry that wasn't directed at anyone but like they are supposed to roll on the curb so no grind.

Stupid gimmick's lol

switchfakie

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2022, 04:09:24 AM »
Mag lights, by a country mile.

There are some tradeoffs though, the hangers wear down insanely fast.

maybe i'll finally grind to axle for once in my life

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2022, 08:43:07 AM »

They melt like butter but are fun while they last (and bend).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2022, 08:53:57 AM »
The tensors grind better but yes….in theory….the theeve tih’s will last forever….