Author Topic: Kingdom Come - Tyshawn Jones  (Read 10457 times)

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
Re: Kingdom Come - Tyshawn Jones
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2022, 09:03:49 AM »
Shoulda just released the general as one part.

Switch noseblunt was probably my favorite trick. Nice redemption for one downing ribeiro’s switch flip back tail and JJ’s kickflip front tail with the front blunt/back noseblunt in the general
Back noseblunt on something that size clearly heavier than those other tricks cmon.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2022, 09:11:49 AM »
Expand Quote

Switch noseblunt was probably my favorite trick. Nice redemption for one downing ribeiro’s switch flip back tail and JJ’s kickflip front tail with the front blunt/back noseblunt in the general
[close]
Back noseblunt on something that size clearly heavier than those other tricks cmon.

No it isn’t

Sw flip back tail is incomprehensible

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2022, 09:12:21 AM »
I didn't read the first page so sorry if anyone said this already
I feel like his use of Either was comparing this battle between him and Nyah to the battle of 2 of the greatest rappers in their prime. But he's claiming he's Nas and he's the real king of New York and he's gonna win this battle with this part thats actually his Ether part and has the song cut when it says King. So Nyah is Jay and not gonna have a clap back for this part.
Or maybe he's just dissing Terry Kennedy

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »
Kingdom Come Skateboards sounds sicker

Change the name to Kingdom Cum Skateboards and I'd buy 'em all.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2022, 09:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

No it isn’t

Agree to disagree.  You can easily get out of flipping into that but a backside noseblunt takes full commitment, more pop and you are basically facing the ground.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
it obviously varies by person too, I'd imagine switch flip back tail makes a lot of sense for Carlos but I kinda doubt he'd back noseblunt it and vice versa

ApesPissed

• Rep: 59
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2022, 09:31:08 AM »
Tyshawn loves the homies! Forget getting chased down and hugged after you land a trick, finding a homie to hug is the new shit. Dude is a beast. Love it.

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -39
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2022, 09:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

No it isn’t

I can manage both of these tricks on small ledges, and back noseblunt on something super tall is 1000x harder than getting a sw flip into a tail slide .

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2022, 09:45:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Kingdom Come Skateboards sounds sicker
[close]

Change the name to Kingdom Cum Skateboards and I'd buy 'em all.

didn't you once state that you hated cum, or am I remembering wrong?

Either way - TJ jumped up on that loading dock like it was a curb! That's a prime example of how he's different from Nyjah - even stuff that isn't deadly looks impressive, when TJ does it. (style, you know)

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2022, 09:55:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I see this argument popping up a lot, but I believe it's off base. Keep in mind that these videos are marketing material at their core. While we often think of footage as an end in itself, the purpose of all parts/promos/full length vids is to drive sales. A longer Hardies part doesn't do the trick for King Skateboards, that company needs its own marketing. It's sensible to split up the footage, especially if the skater in question also owns both companies. That's a basic business decision.
[close]

nah. tyshawn *is* both brands. making the strongest possible part is the best marketing he could do for either/both.

do you honestly think anyone out there is going to say 'i love tyshawn's footy for hardies so i always buy hardies, but his footage for king wasn't as good, so i won't buy it.'
[close]

I get your point, and you're right that TJ is the be all end all of both brands. If you know and like TJ and are in the market for anything his brands offer, you're getting it regardless of how many parts he had. But in that case, you also don't care if he has 1, 3 or 5 parts. You're already a fan and will see the footage either way, so there's no added benefit to it apart from the artistic approach, which, let's face it, simply takes a back seat to business.

Marketing is primarily for the people that don't (yet) buy your product though. You do it to make people aware of your product and to choose your product over other options. In this case, King Skateboards can promote the video and make people aware of the brand who didn't know about it yet. Don't underestimate how "in the know" us Pals are, that's not representative of the whole skate community, and especially not of beginners who are in the market for a board, but don't know what options there are. It's those people you need brand-specific marketing for. Even if they see the General and like it, they often won't make the connection that this cool skater also has a board brand. But if they see the cool skater from the General in a King Skateboards vid, they get it. Marketing is really fucking basic.

The point about not having other outlets monopolize his content is a good one, but I think it's more about the branding and the ability to promote the King video himself (i.e. place ads) than the revenue from views. That's gonna be miniscule from just one or maybe a couple vids with no more than 100k views, if they are monetized at all.

Sorry, that's way too much marketing talk for Slap. I only wrote this much to not engage with, you guessed it, my job in marketing.

this is way too reasonable/civilised a debate, so for the sake of maintaining the internet's integrity i'm gonna call you a dickhead for no reason. you dickhead.

moving on from that, while i see your reasoning re: marketing needing to be aimed more at the layperson, i still think you're wrong with regards to making a 'king' specific part being really important for building brand recognition.

you're generally better off having the biggest channel hype up your brand than you are creating a branded channel. Y'know how his 'general' part had a 'hardies' branded thrasher id animation at the start? i'd say that's way more valuable to a brand than it would be to put stuff out via a hardies channel. And same goes for king. Having gratuitous shots of a very simple but very recognisable logo deck in his thrasher and supreme parts will probably have done more to alert kids to the existence of the brand that setting up the king YT channel has.

you're right though, this has become way to much like a linkedin thread now...

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2022, 10:18:42 AM »
Reported for calling me a dickhead.

Good points though, perhaps I underestimated how much reach TJ already has and overestimated the need for more classic marketing tools. But that would mean admitting I was partially wrong, and we both know there's no place for that on the internet.

Let's wrap this up: I'm a 100% with you that from a skate video connoisseur's perspective, a ~7min. standalone part would have been the absolute best way to do it. Now I have to say "The General part _and_ the King promo" when talking about my favorite clips this year, which is a real pain in the ass.

Edit: Thanks a lot for deservedly kooking me. I humbly ask for you to stop now as I have been sufficiently kooked.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -61
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »
bold move using the same name as Jay-Z's weakest album

then skating to Nas's Jay-z diss track

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
maybe everyone's overreaching with the whole "the Jay-Z vs NAS thing is because its TJ vs Nyjah thing".

Maybe Tyshawn just wanted these songs

Also, guess he didn't get his picnic table trick.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2022, 10:38:44 AM »
I was waiting for the tre flip. Still, excellent footage as always.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2022, 10:48:32 AM »
TJ just announced on Thrasher twitch that Nak will have his (1 minute lol) part released next month along with his part, and then ZACK WILL HAVE HIS BOARD/PART FOLLOWING.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2022, 11:01:51 AM »
TJ’s board graphic is great. I’m much more optimistic now.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2022, 11:12:52 AM »

Good points though, perhaps I underestimated how much reach TJ already has and overestimated the need for more classic marketing tools. But that would mean admitting I was partially wrong, and we both know there's no place for that on the internet.

Let's wrap this up: I'm a 100% with you that from a skate video connoisseur's perspective, a ~7min. standalone part would have been the absolute best way to do it. Now I have to say "The General part _and_ the King promo" when talking about my favorite clips this year, which is a real pain in the ass.

Edit: Thanks a lot for deservedly kooking me. I humbly ask for you to stop now as I have been sufficiently kooked.

i do not have kooking powers. too much responsibility for me.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2022, 11:15:30 AM »
Lol saving like 12 clips from the supreme vid to make another “part”, about as subtle as Suciu, give it to Jah

Exactly. I vocally prefer Tyshawn, but there's nothing here.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i do not have kooking powers. too much responsibility for me.

Didn't mean you personally, I asked the greater Slap community for it in a previous post. Anyways, I'm gonna shut up for real now.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »
I'd be happy to not see him skate that rail/bank in the Bronx again. At this point I kinda feel like when TJ rolls up to a spot he has skated in a previous video that I can guess what he will do based on his prior tricks and his foot position.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2022, 11:34:45 AM »

mansa musa graphic is actually super sick. if his boards keep the theme of historical kings id 100% buy a couple just for the wall.

musa is one of my favourite historical figures, dude balled out and flexed his wealth harder than anyone in history, basically went on a world tour to tell everyone how rich he was. wherever he went he over inflated their economy by just throwing gold at everyone in the streets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansa_Musa

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »

i don't want to continue on forever w/ the marketing chat, but i think the eraly use of really simple (quite crap) but easily recognisable logo board for stage 1 off the brand was just to make sure anyone seeing a tj clip would instantly be able to see it wasn't an FA. now that's done, looks like we'll get more interesting shit.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2022, 11:37:10 AM »
I'd be happy to not see him skate that rail/bank in the Bronx again. At this point I kinda feel like when TJ rolls up to a spot he has skated in a previous video that I can guess what he will do based on his prior tricks and his foot position.

on that topic tho, what's y'all's faves that he did there? the ss big heel for me. i don't have that filed in my head as a tj special but he fucking murdered it.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2022, 12:09:56 PM »
it obviously varies by person too, I'd imagine switch flip back tail makes a lot of sense for Carlos but I kinda doubt he'd back noseblunt it and vice versa
carlos has back noseblunts pretty damn good too. Agree to disagree but I see peoples’ POV re: back noseblunt being harder on something that high.

Switch fs noseblunt was totally nuts though too. Not a trick I’d want to try on something tall at all.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Nollie bs heel blubba. Fucking glorious
[close]

Can someone please kook me and gnar this guy? That's what this thread should be about, not fucking marketing tactics.

gnarring you against your will. i like your posts

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »

the source art is cool, but squishing this down to fit on a board isn't a great graphic, it looks cheap and lame like the rest of his brand's aesthetic. it would work better as a graphic if the elements were arranged in a collage style, but, he's not on FA anymore.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2022, 12:45:28 PM »
I feel like Suciu SOTY really cemented the precedent that a winner should have 3+ parts in a year, which is too bad.
Not to say I'm disappointed with this, because there are a handful of amazing tricks.
Moreover, just having to judge 3+ parts from each candidate is a bit tedious.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2022, 01:17:14 PM »
That was whelming. Good skating just kinda bored on his spot selection and trick selection.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2022, 01:19:29 PM »
so funny thinking about a disheveled stu pickles having a favorite historical figure

that nollie three flip over the rail was fucking so pimp

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2022, 02:57:14 PM »
Expand Quote

mansa musa graphic is actually super sick. if his boards keep the theme of historical kings id 100% buy a couple just for the wall.

musa is one of my favourite historical figures, dude balled out and flexed his wealth harder than anyone in history, basically went on a world tour to tell everyone how rich he was. wherever he went he over inflated their economy by just throwing gold at everyone in the streets

[close]

Wow, what an awesome role model!

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.