Author Topic: Skating and the importance of clothes  (Read 2632 times)

50 Lions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -57
Skating and the importance of clothes
« on: December 02, 2022, 01:36:53 PM »
I couldn’t help but notice most threads about Tyshawn and Nyjah’s parts and discussing their outfits more then than Skating itself.

So it got me thinking if there is any other sport where clothes play just as an important part as the sport itself and define the athlete?

50 Lions

Re: Skating and the importance of clothes
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/norwegian-women-s-beach-handball-team-fined-not-playing-bikinis-n1274453

Sorry I should of elaborated better, That’s a governing body trying to inforce a uniform. I get skating in the Olympics had similar standards. Unless your saying skating should have a standard for clothing? Which then brings up a whole other argument about the freedom of expression.

I’m talking about the fans and peers critiquing the athletes each individual performance based on their appearance. For example enjoying the skating but not liking the outfit so the overall product has a reduced score.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »
now that i think about it we should all be skateboarding in bikinis

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -48
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 01:50:46 PM »
there isnt really, but in baseball and other sports some players are definitely favored by fans due to their uniform swag. but on the other hand those sports are not nearly as expressive, individualistic and artistic as skateboarding is.

50 Lions

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 01:54:00 PM »
there isnt really, but in baseball and other sports some players are definitely favored by fans due to their uniform swag. but on the other hand those sports are not nearly as expressive, individualistic and artistic as skateboarding is.

That’s a pretty good point! I suppose you are viewing a complete product. Depends on how you view skateboarding I suppose. If you are viewing it as an art piece that would mean clothing, music, timing and skating all form the final piece of work

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 01:56:40 PM »
Figure skaters rock the wildest fits, easy.

50 Lions

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 02:00:07 PM »

That’s my point though, if a figure skater does an nbd nobody will discredit it because of the outfit. The wilder the outfit is usually celebrated.

Where these two most recent skate parts put out by Tyshawn and Nyjah have been pushed aside by the majority of users here because the clothes they are wearing.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3313
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 02:09:10 PM »
Skaters have always been bigger fashion queens than most big fashion queens.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s my point though, if a figure skater does an nbd nobody will discredit it because of the outfit.

Where these two most recent skate parts put out by Tyshawn and Nyjah have been pushed aside by the majority of users here because the clothes they are wearing.

Claiming that they are being pushed aside by users here is inaccurate. There are multiple pages and threads of people praising their parts as being SOTY worthy. You can dislike someone's fits and still appreciate their skateboarding. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 108
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 02:22:13 PM »
Skaters have always been bigger fashion queens than most big fashion queens.

come to slap for the latest news and videos, stay for the hyper-analysis of pants

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 02:29:53 PM »
allen iverson and dennis rodman were definitely talked about for the clothes they wore on and off the court and more uptight fans saw that as a means to discredit iverson's greatness (although that didnt work) but the lack of examples really just shows that skateboarding isnt a sport and is its own unique thing

50 Lions

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s my point though, if a figure skater does an nbd nobody will discredit it because of the outfit.

[close]

Claiming that they are being pushed aside by users here is inaccurate. There are multiple pages and threads of people praising their parts as being SOTY worthy. You can dislike someone's fits and still appreciate their skateboarding. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I have the exact same opinion as you and obviously the OP of those topics do aswell, but that doesn’t disprove the fact both those Soty threads are filled with more comments about the clothing choice than the tricks

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 02:30:55 PM »
the core skate industry tries not to be a sport, as has been the formula since the Z-boys fucked up that nerd contest in 75 and got way more interest than the people who won it.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 02:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the exact same opinion as you and obviously the OP of those topics do aswell, but that doesn’t disprove the fact both those Soty threads are filled with more comments about the clothing choice than the tricks

To be fair though, they both wear some objectively bad fits. Nigel's salmon joggers and white hoodie that he wore during that gap to noseblunt was absolutely atrocious. TJ's NY jeans he was wearing for the first switch ollie over the table was also really bad. I'm sure when someone inevitably makes a thread about the Play Dead video, there will more discussions of the whacky fits. Some people wear some odd shit and its ok for people to call them out for it. It is what it is.

50 Lions

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 02:41:02 PM »
allen iverson and dennis rodman were definitely talked about for the clothes they wore on and off the court and more uptight fans saw that as a means to discredit iverson's greatness (although that didnt work) but the lack of examples really just shows that skateboarding isnt a sport and is its own unique thing

To my understanding Allen Iverson is celebrated and credited for starting a movement and allowing ballers to wear whatever the fuck they want. It’s kind of the opposite. But I think you are right that skateboarding is way to unique to compare it to any other sport

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 02:41:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s my point though, if a figure skater does an nbd nobody will discredit it because of the outfit. The wilder the outfit is usually celebrated.

Hardly pushed aside my dude, where you been the last few days?
The whole forum has been dominated by Nyjah vs Tyshawn conversation with a few people shouting "T FUNK!" from the back of the room.

50 Lions

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hardly pushed aside my dude, where you been the last few days?
The whole forum has been dominated by Nyjah vs Tyshawn conversation with a few people shouting "T FUNK!" from the back of the room.
by pushed aside I mean the parts were acknowledged as good but the entire discussion is about the outfits and a lot of the time the comments are “I would like it if the shorts were longer”

50 Lions

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 02:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

To be fair though, they both wear some objectively bad fits. Nigel's salmon joggers and white hoodie that he wore during that gap to noseblunt was absolutely atrocious. TJ's NY jeans he was wearing for the first switch ollie over the table was also really bad. I'm sure when someone inevitably makes a thread about the Play Dead video, there will more discussions of the whacky fits. Some people wear some odd shit and its ok for people to call them out for it. It is what it is.

I 100% get that and that’s why I asked the question “is skating the only sport this happens in”

But it’s become pretty evident that Skateboarding is to unique to try and compare it to other sports.

I personally don’t even notice the outfits but I’m also a dude who doesn’t really prioritise clothes

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
It's hard to compare skateboarding to traditional sports because most of them require uniforms. I jokingly mentioned figure skating but even with all their bedazzled dresses and stuff they all still kind of fit the typical figure skater look.

I can say, when football players first started getting tattoos and rocking long hair I definitely heard my fair share of old fucks bitching about it and saying "if I were on the field I'd rip that boys hair out!".

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2022, 02:52:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I 100% get that and that’s why I asked the question “is skating the only sport this happens in”

But it’s become pretty evident that Skateboarding is to unique to try and compare it to other sports.

I personally don’t even notice the outfits but I’m also a dude who doesn’t really prioritise clothes

Post a fit

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 108
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 02:56:46 PM »
posting a fit on slap is one of my greatest fears

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2022, 02:57:41 PM »
No. I don’t think there’s another sport where you get more points on the scoreboard for what you wear.

Individual athletes for sure want to look good because it might result in more fans or more sponsorship $$$, but that’s not what you’re asking.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »

No need to fear unless you got no steez, drip or swag

Otherwise I fear for your mortal soul

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1194
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 03:01:48 PM »

50 Lions

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
No. I don’t think there’s another sport where you get more points on the scoreboard for what you wear.

Individual athletes for sure want to look good because it might result in more fans or more sponsorship $$$, but that’s not what you’re asking.

In hindsight it’s a bit of stupid question to ask, like others have said it’s far to unique and individualistic to compare to other sports

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Post a fit

I’d get roasted my dude, im as basic as it gets. Im a tall skinny dude so usually wear a long fitting basic shirt and some cotton shorts or loosely fitting pants.

Mainly shorts though because I’m in northern Australia and it’s hot as fuck

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2022, 03:29:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In hindsight it’s a bit of stupid question to ask, like others have said it’s far to unique and individualistic to compare to other sports

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Post a fit
[close]

I’d get roasted my dude, im as basic as it gets. Im a tall skinny dude so usually wear a long fitting basic shirt and some cotton shorts or loosely fitting pants.

I was wondering if your username is a reference to the band or it must be since you're from australia
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Paulie Gualtieri

• Rep: -10
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
Tyshawn just dresses like a laidback New York dude who doesn’t care about fashion and gets pussy. I barely notice his fits
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 04:35:32 PM by Paulie Gualtieri »

50 Lions

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2022, 03:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Post a fit
[close]

[close]

I was wondering if your username is a reference to the band or it must be since you're from australia
Sure is man!

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 05:11:17 PM »
Closest thing is maybe basketball.

Although Giannis’ clothes will not determine whether he’s MVP, there’s quite a few stars that are more popular than they should be because they wear rare sneakers in games or have a sick hairstyle.

The opposite applies as well. John Stockton’s short shorts were so unhip by 90’s standards that he made Karl Malone look like a stiff white guy just by proximity. And who can forget the time Carlos Boozer hair looked like it was painted on? Lmfao