Author Topic: Skating and the importance of clothes  (Read 2635 times)

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 172
Re: Skating and the importance of clothes
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2022, 10:48:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Honestly, I assume most of the posters on here are white. So when someone talks about Tyshawn’s durags or Nyjah’s clothes it’s easy to ignore.

That’s probably the anti-blackness Tyshawn was talking about in the industry. Cause by making fun of his clothes, you’re basically making fun of Black culture cause he just dresses like a Black kid from the inner city.

But it’s the vocal minority here. At the local skate parks no one gives a shit, and you’ll see kids in basketball shorts, hell some skating in non skate shoes. I doubt anyone has said something about Tyshawn’s clothes to his face lol
[close]

Yes indeed. The “I don’t see skin color” white people. Lukewarm acceptance vs outright rejection and that. Couching it in “look, I criticize all skaters the same, regardless,” is not admirable.
[close]

For me it's just the short shorts. Not a fan of seeing dude's upper thighs. The combination of big, long t shirts and short shorts never looks good.

nah, make em shorter, normalize skating in hotpants!

mightytrucks

• Rep: -19
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Honestly, I assume most of the posters on here are white. So when someone talks about Tyshawn’s durags or Nyjah’s clothes it’s easy to ignore.

That’s probably the anti-blackness Tyshawn was talking about in the industry. Cause by making fun of his clothes, you’re basically making fun of Black culture cause he just dresses like a Black kid from the inner city.

But it’s the vocal minority here. At the local skate parks no one gives a shit, and you’ll see kids in basketball shorts, hell some skating in non skate shoes. I doubt anyone has said something about Tyshawn’s clothes to his face lol
[close]

Yes indeed. The “I don’t see skin color” white people. Lukewarm acceptance vs outright rejection and that. Couching it in “look, I criticize all skaters the same, regardless,” is not admirable.
[close]

For me it's just the short shorts. Not a fan of seeing dude's upper thighs. The combination of big, long t shirts and short shorts never looks good.
[close]

nah, make em shorter, normalize skating in hotpants!

Absolutely! I vote for skaters looking like our girlfriends wearing our t shirts and their shorts walking around the house.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2022, 12:08:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Figure skaters rock the wildest fits, easy.
[close]

That’s my point though, if a figure skater does an nbd nobody will discredit it because of the outfit. The wilder the outfit is usually celebrated.

Where these two most recent skate parts put out by Tyshawn and Nyjah have been pushed aside by the majority of users here because the clothes they are wearing.
[close]

The DCI / WGI (drum corps) take the shoddy fabulousness of the stereotypical figure skater costume and multiply it a hundred times over.
The past few years a buddy shared his interest in marching band competitions. I'm baffled by these corps ability to coordinate the most intensive field routines while playing ~15 minutes of complex music yet their wardrobe dept comes up with the most eye sweating "mom made my halloween costume"

This is RCC (Riverside City College) in 2017 with some kinda fluorescent Buzz lightyear theme and fucking flames on the drum shells.
Now, opinions of a corps look don't necessarily affect scores, but they definitely skew my appreciation for their routines.
These guys compete in WGI but tend to feed players in to the larger DCI Blue Devils corp who are notorious for very high rankings.
Compare RCC to The Academy from Arizona, their well made theme outfits and overall cohesive shows blow me away despite the lesser technical ability.

... Love 50 Lions: "We're talking bout pants?! Not the NBDs, not the nbds , not the nbds"

Drum Corps is a weird reference and I haven't paid attention to it in years. Even when I did, it was only because my homie and his family were all really into it. The uniforms have changed dramatically. All of the footage that I have seen, which can't be from any later than 2000 or so, just had them in traditional marching band outfits. The pivot makes sense though because DCI really tries to make itself different from trad Marching Band stuff. The format is as much about the shapes the players make on the field as it is about the music they are playing.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.