Author Topic: Tyshawn’s embrace of Colonialism and Enslavement  (Read 7013 times)

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
Re: Tyshawn’s embrace of Colonialism and Enslavement
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2022, 02:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why the fuck does any of this matter
[close]

I think a criticism/perception that tyshawn has a surface-level grasp of hotep/black power symbols and graphics
[close]

A criticism which is pretty off base in my opinion. The board depicts a ruler who oversaw the peak of an intellectual empire in West Africa where the idea of racial inferiority had nothing to do with slavery. It's celebrating the idea of an African culture untouched and unaltered by European colonialism, as well as the hope/fight for the prosperity of a group of people whose humanity has been so brutally attacked since then.

Yes, slavery existed there, as it had in almost every other culture in the history of humankind before it reached extreme levels of racist brutality in the American South.

Edit: also, it doesn't seem like Tyshawn is one to shy away from responding to dm's. Anybody who holds this criticism of his decision to put out this board should ask him about it, like a man.
[close]

Step back, brah, the extreme levels of racist brutality in the American South.? That was genteel compared to my people in Africa and the black on black crime that still exists in your America cities.
Oh here we go, now the true racism comes out of hiding. Get bent kook.

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -405
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2022, 03:03:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why the fuck does any of this matter
[close]

I think a criticism/perception that tyshawn has a surface-level grasp of hotep/black power symbols and graphics
[close]

A criticism which is pretty off base in my opinion. The board depicts a ruler who oversaw the peak of an intellectual empire in West Africa where the idea of racial inferiority had nothing to do with slavery. It's celebrating the idea of an African culture untouched and unaltered by European colonialism, as well as the hope/fight for the prosperity of a group of people whose humanity has been so brutally attacked since then.

Yes, slavery existed there, as it had in almost every other culture in the history of humankind before it reached extreme levels of racist brutality in the American South.

Edit: also, it doesn't seem like Tyshawn is one to shy away from responding to dm's. Anybody who holds this criticism of his decision to put out this board should ask him about it, like a man.
[close]

Step back, brah, the extreme levels of racist brutality in the American South.? That was genteel compared to my people in Africa and the black on black crime that still exists in your America cities.
[close]

Oh yes, it is the racism to point out the tradition of slavery from Masa that still exists to this very day.

Enjoy your blood diamonds, righteous gemstones, and the gold dug from the ground of my brothers in your air conditioned luxury suites on a very large television with many more precious metals from the Africa, and we won’t even mention your phone.

veritas

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2022, 03:10:03 PM »
Of the ten active Tyshawn threads right now this one has got to be the dumbest

cky enthusiast

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »
One week post surgery after breaking my hip on a gnarly slam riding down a hill. I guess I turned in too tightly, pinched, and got pitched immediately. 45 years old,

please rethink your life u fucken weirdo

sluggers

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »
Well, I think it’s better to discuss the power of imagery and iconography versus the reality of colonialism and slavery that persists, but if you want to go talk about the durag or the size of Nyjah’s shorts then you know where to go.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2022, 03:29:01 PM »
the reality of colonialism and slavery?! my g you are 3/4’s of the way to AARP status and you’re pretending to be a guy from Mali who’s upset about an emperor who died a millenia ago. your brain is a fried egg

doublesteveburger

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »
I think the difference is that Mansa Musa didn’t clear the table like a huge pussy.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
black on black crime
[close]
The use of that media hysteria created term undermines your efforts at looking enlightened. Please stop using that racist phrase.

sluggers

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2022, 04:14:58 PM »
Expand Quote
One week post surgery after breaking my hip on a gnarly slam riding down a hill. I guess I turned in too tightly, pinched, and got pitched immediately. 45 years old,
[close]

please rethink your life u fucken weirdo

Your wife is from a Rochester, you are too injured to go anywhere and you think NJ is the best place to skate.

Who is, who really is the kook and “fucken weirdo”?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2022, 04:54:26 PM »
no i saïd NJ produces the best skaters dude!! you’re 45!! act your age!!

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2022, 04:58:38 PM »
You downplayed the treatment of slaves in America. You might want to read up on those atrocities before calling them genteel in comparison. There's also the matter of "black on black crime" being a very common dog whistle. That's almost like saying "what about Chicago?" A person that says such things raises red flags.

sluggers

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2022, 05:55:01 PM »
You downplayed the treatment of slaves in America. You might want to read up on those atrocities before calling them genteel in comparison. There's also the matter of "black on black crime" being a very common dog whistle. That's almost like saying "what about Chicago?" A person that says such things raises red flags.

Well, I lived in Chicago so what about Chicago.?

And, what about Mali today.?

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2022, 05:57:10 PM »
The very concept of a King is wack, and an unfortunate name for what is in every other way a sick company. I back TJ and Nak heavy, and I'm sure they'll build something cool and interesting in spite of it, but I can think of 100 names off the top of my head that would be better:

NYCLA
LA/NY
LA Bronx
Los Bronx
Boogie Monster
Bronx Angeles
Black
Black Power
Black Owned
Hardies
Any Means Necessary
X
All City
Allah
Prophet
Dream
On God
Conspiracy
Rumors
Culture

Black Power would be my choice. How sick would it be to see that all across a board wall? Also follows Dill's winning formula of stealing shit from World Industries. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yeah naming your skate brand Allah is sure to not drum up any controversy

Maybe the first graphic could be the Prophet Muhammad smoking a blunt

sluggers

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2022, 06:05:42 PM »
Enslaved
Indoctrin8ed
Brainwashed
Clock Worked Orange

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2022, 06:23:32 PM »
stop putting periods in front of question marks you monster

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2022, 06:24:50 PM »
Very low effort graphic from TJ

I don’t think this company is gonna last very long

Not sure exactly what everyone is arguing about in this thread tho, and I’m not gonna bother finding out

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, I lived in Chicago so what about Chicago.?

And, what about Mali today.?

Well, lots of people have lived in Chicago. The question is a well-worn racist dog whistle. I pointed that out. Do they spend a lot of time discussing Chicago in Mali?

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2022, 07:25:08 PM »
I hope this ancient King graphic becomes like a thing, bit like the FA school photo did, so many Kings represented in many paintings over centuries the list is endless and easy to source and all the artists are well dead.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2022, 07:47:53 PM »
lol, all the people defending that shitty ass Tyshawn graphic of slave-owning MM are the same that were completely melting down about Jason Jessee using nazi imagery....

LebowskisRug

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2022, 08:24:28 PM »
They've had months and months to do design work. I remember people saying I was only criticizing Black skaters when I said that just because he is TJ it doesn't mean he knows shit about graphic design or building a board brand. And that he's always talking about money and being rich.

So here we are at launch and one graphic is a crown that seems to have been lifted straight from 1998 and a poor attempt at trying to leverage African history to seem deeply learned. And he picked the individual in the graphic based on said individual's wealth.

sluggers

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2022, 08:48:34 PM »
lol, all the people defending that shitty ass Tyshawn graphic of slave-owning MM are the same that were completely melting down about Jason Jessee using nazi imagery....

sluggers

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2022, 08:49:01 PM »
They've had months and months to do design work. I remember people saying I was only criticizing Black skaters when I said that just because he is TJ it doesn't mean he knows shit about graphic design or building a board brand. And that he's always talking about money and being rich.

So here we are at launch and one graphic is a crown that seems to have been lifted straight from 1998 and a poor attempt at trying to leverage African history to seem deeply learned. And he picked the individual in the graphic based on said individual's wealth.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2022, 08:58:25 PM »

Different things are different, yes.

Why are so many people taking sluggers at face value and in good faith? Come on.

ejazzle

• Rep: 62
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2022, 08:59:56 PM »

Imagine if anyone else put a prevalent slave owner on the bottom of their board. The entire industry would explode but somehow this gets a pass? And then people defending a slave driver because it was normal for the times?? Whack. The guy owned over 12,000 slaves and was the richest man in the world. Do people think he got 12,000 slaves and all that gold by handing out lollipops and cupcakes?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2022, 09:13:06 PM »
ugh 14th century monarchs are so problematic

Lol fr

Conflating pre-modern and modern slavery and colonialism is either ignorant or malicious, but the effect is the same in the end: not helpful, to put it mildly. And bringing up JJ and Nazism...get a grip.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -138
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2022, 09:13:40 PM »
lock this thread mods or delete it this shit is fucking stupid