Author Topic: why these new trendy skateboard companies...  (Read 3788 times)

GrayCellGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: why these new trendy skateboard companies...
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2023, 11:17:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
OP- genuinely curious. what made you realize this and prompted you to make a thread? I swear I was just thinking about this same observation last night around 8pm. wondering how maybe the "algorithm" or whatever we browse dawned us with this question at this particular time.

oh but I did deduct the answer to this question by myself: websites being obsolete, ig, tiktoks, what everyone said here
[close]

Just because I saw thread about Violet skateboards and a dudd mentioned some skater first name ( that is very common here, like they try to act they are so cool that they call a skater first name because they are homies... ) and I wanted to see who that skater was and I had to be an "insta-detective" and that is lame because I have other things to waste my time.
[close]

I think you're reading way too much into this.

I've never seen anybody on SLAP refer to Troy Gipson, Efron Danzig, Kris Brown, Seven Strong, or Patrick O'Mara as "Troy" or "Gipson", "Danzig", "Kris" or "Brown", "Strong", "Patrick" or "O'Mara" (unless it's a near essay/article and it's for the sake of journalistic form and not having to write their full name multiple times). The only reason people use "Troy", "Efron" or "Seven" is because they're unique and obviously aren't referring to any other skaters; it's an easy and stylistic shorthand. No one's writing "TGip" because they think they're Troy Gipson's friend.

For instance, do you ever hear Grant Taylor or Alex Olson called "Grant" or "Taylor", or "Alex" or "Olson"? Likewise, I've never seen or heard Ishod Wair, Kader Sylla, Louie Lopez referred as "Wair", "Sylla" or "Lopez" and Andrew Reynolds, John Cardiel or Jim Greco as "Andrew", "John" or "Jim". It all depends on distinctness of the skater's first, last or full name. They're all basically nicknames.

Well said. Was thinking the same thing but was way too lazy to articulate it.