Author Topic: Is Nyjah permanently banned from SOTY by Phelper?  (Read 4532 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -407
Re: Is Nyjah permanently banned from SOTY by Phelper?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2022, 01:50:32 PM »
Praise Be. Mansa Musa’s descendants freed me from my chains thanks to prisoner swap for the ghost of Jake Phelps coordinated by TJ. I have a little Stockholm Syndrome due to the generosity of my captors at Slap, but nothing a few frontside slash grinds can’t straighten out.

Long Live Phelper in our hearts, minds, and souls.! One of the best things to happen to skateboarding.!

Kook recognizes kook.!

Shalom.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Phelps was a kook, but a lot of his gatekeeping was good for the image of skateboarding. Atleast he felt like there was some things worth preserving.

I really don’t know why any of you care so deeply about SOTY, it’s just a title dubbed by a magazine. There really isn’t anything at stake, and it doesn’t suddenly erase the content, or diminish what the other contenders have accomplished.
[close]
I feel like the question you raised in your second paragraph was answered by your first paragraph
[close]

Most likely, figure eight thoughts for this smooth brain mongoloid.
Sorry didn’t mean to imply you’re stupid, my brain will sometimes go in circles as well

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2022, 02:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Phelps was a kook, but a lot of his gatekeeping was good for the image of skateboarding. Atleast he felt like there was some things worth preserving.

I really don’t know why any of you care so deeply about SOTY, it’s just a title dubbed by a magazine. There really isn’t anything at stake, and it doesn’t suddenly erase the content, or diminish what the other contenders have accomplished.
[close]
I feel like the question you raised in your second paragraph was answered by your first paragraph
[close]

Most likely, figure eight thoughts for this smooth brain mongoloid.
[close]
Sorry didn’t mean to imply you’re stupid, my brain will sometimes go in circles as well

It’s ok, I’ve been called much worse here in my previous incarnation.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2022, 02:13:51 PM »
News flash : being good at something doesn't necessarily earn you respect in a subculture.

Nyjah can be technically very skilled but he's got no soul or personality to his skateboarding. It's not an objective contest. It's a vibes thing. Nyjah has bad vibes

AR abstain

• Rep: -25
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2022, 02:21:56 PM »
Nyjah had a mean skate coach dad like Thomas the Tank or whoever that kid is. he got out from under him like a pg movie and instead of being burnt on skating, he used it to propel him beyond riches. so maybe it's a job to him, we all skated with our pals as an escape from parents or bullies. this poor kid, his dad bullied him at the spot to skate better. i can see that sucking the joy out of him.  there is no joy in Nyjah's childhood skating. only the promise of supper if he kffs boardslid that contest rail.

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2022, 02:28:38 PM »
Praise Be. Mansa Musa’s descendants freed me from my chains thanks to prisoner swap for the ghost of Jake Phelps coordinated by TJ. I have a little Stockholm Syndrome due to the generosity of my captors at Slap, but nothing a few frontside slash grinds can’t straighten out.

Long Live Phelper in our hearts, minds, and souls.! One of the best things to happen to skateboarding.!

Kook recognizes kook.!

Shalom.

The spirit Mansa Musa lives on! Living rent free in your head.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2022, 02:32:59 PM »
Nyjah had a mean skate coach dad like Thomas the Tank or whoever that kid is.

It’s Trae the Tank and I’ll appreciate you giving him the respect he deserves in all future discussion, m’kay?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

hardestflip

• Rep: 3
  • CHAMBERLAIN WITH THE STATS
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2022, 02:41:33 PM »
Just wondering if there is an unwritten Phelper rule that the current mag staff won’t break in regards to nyjah.
I hope so.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2022, 02:46:34 PM »
Nyjah, the consummate contest skater, couldn't even win in the biggest contest opportunity for skateboarding in the Tokyo Olympics. He didn't even medal.

Nothing to do with SOTY, but that was just sad.

He should be used to disappointment more than anyone.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2022, 03:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Hot take- Phelps was a kook
[close]

not even hot. when a dude in his position and power claims what is and even worse, who, is cool, its fucked up. dude was a living encyclopedia in skateboarding, and had some interresting thoughts, but mainly he was just a hateful pompous old powertripper.
i cant take credit for this link, someone posted it a year ago somewhere here and i bookmarked it, but in this jordan richter interview he has a pretty negative take on phelps. about 3/4 down the page: https://fflzine.blogspot.com/2012/05/jordan-richter-interview-pt-2.html
pretty sure hes super religious now, but i thought what he had to say was pretty thought provoking.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2022, 03:23:08 PM »
Is Nyjah permanently banned by the IOC?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1596
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2022, 03:35:30 PM »
When I got Covid, the first thing I did was let everyone know on Instagram that if I died, and haunting people was a possibility, that I was ABSOLUTELY going to haunt them.

I really like the idea of Phelps quarterbacking the pick of SOTY from beyond the grave. In my imagination, it would be sort of like that movie "Ghost," but instead of Patrick Swayze lurking behind a woman making pottery, Phelps is doing that to Michael Burnett while he is at his desk.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2022, 03:36:10 PM »
Is Nyjah permanently banned by the IOC?

He just killed it in qualification for 2024 in Italy.  I bet he wins the next one

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2022, 03:39:41 PM »
When I got Covid, the first thing I did was let everyone know on Instagram that if I died, and haunting people was a possibility, that I was ABSOLUTELY going to haunt them.

I really like the idea of Phelps quarterbacking the pick of SOTY from beyond the grave. In my imagination, it would be sort of like that movie "Ghost," but instead of Patrick Swayze lurking behind a woman making pottery, Phelps is doing that to Michael Burnett while he is at his desk.

Actually Burnett would be Whoopi Goldberg, but you might be onto something

Pango

• Rep: -30
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2022, 03:53:10 PM »
News flash : being good at something doesn't necessarily earn you respect in a subculture.

Nyjah can be technically very skilled but he's got no soul or personality to his skateboarding. It's not an objective contest. It's a vibes thing. Nyjah has bad vibes

Yep Thrasher's SOTY is purely a subjective contest and tbh the concept that a magazine company that has interest in making profit chooses SOTY is already flawed

Not say Nyjah should win, but this is a contest from a company that has interest in making money, so what's the big whoop if he ever wins it or not

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2022, 04:13:17 PM »
It’s true….I remember the world felt a lot better when Chris Haslam was winning readers choice awards….

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2022, 05:39:06 PM »
Maybe if he did switch Hippie jumps through handrails. Need that. Diversity the bag no one could ignore a massive swing to no comply land. Who knows.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often