Poll

Realistically, who do you anticipate winning SOTY this year?

Jah
118 (27.5%)
T-Funk
98 (22.8%)
Louie
136 (31.7%)
Tyshawn
63 (14.7%)
Other
14 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 425

Voting closed: December 10, 2022, 09:52:05 AM

Author Topic: SOTY 2022 Contenders  (Read 17308 times)

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
Re: Realistically, who do you anticipate winning SOTY this year?
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2022, 12:51:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just asked my gf who she thinks should win soty and she said me instantaneously so I think this conversation is over
[close]

Does your girlfriend even skate?  Need to see some of her clips before I can comment on such a claim.
[close]
she’s heard me complain about not getting a clip or being sore way too much. I think she’s soty. Fuck it we all are
[close]

They are going to do this but for SOTY

Pic is weird because back then youtube vids couldn't be longer then 9:59 iirc
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 03:10:05 AM by A Not At All Naughty Chemist »

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
Re: SOTY 2022 Contenders
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2022, 01:00:57 AM »
All you guys are invited on my SOTY trip!!!
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2022, 06:19:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just asked my gf who she thinks should win soty and she said me instantaneously so I think this conversation is over
[close]

Does your girlfriend even skate?  Need to see some of her clips before I can comment on such a claim.
[close]
she’s heard me complain about not getting a clip or being sore way too much. I think she’s soty. Fuck it we all are
[close]

[close]

Good call. I loved "Google Video" for that reason, way longer time limit. That's where people would upload skate videos and shit. It was the wild west... I remember being kind of sad when it got phased out.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 45
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2022, 06:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

img
[close]

[close]

Good call. I loved "Google Video" for that reason, way longer time limit. That's where people would upload skate videos and shit. It was the wild west... I remember being kind of sad when it got phased out.

I too was foolishly in favour of google video.

Anyway, upon closer inspection i realise it's 20:06 because it was about 2006

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »

Sick dude...where are we going? I was hoping Australia

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2022, 07:42:12 AM »
I’ll bring the weed, who’s getting the beer?

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2022, 07:53:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Looking at some of these contenders got me thinking, what’s the least amount of footage/coverage put out in a winning year by a previous SOTY?
[close]
chris cole, half a video part and two tricks down wallenberg in 2009
He had a heavy Berrics year, which Phelps couldn't even bring himself to say. 2009 was also the year of Heath's retirement part. I understand he was shooting more with Transworld, but still.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2022, 08:14:26 AM »
With how many people they listed as contenders I honestly wouldn't have minded seeing Chandler Burton on the list.  Dude had the best part in the THERE full length and was a highlight of the glory challenge

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looking at some of these contenders got me thinking, what’s the least amount of footage/coverage put out in a winning year by a previous SOTY?
[close]
[close]
He had a heavy Berrics year, which Phelps couldn't even bring himself to say. 2009 was also the year of Heath's retirement part. I understand he was shooting more with Transworld, but still.

Pretty sure Chris won Maloof that year too, right? At the time I also figured they tied in his 2008 Ride The Sky part which was really heavy. Back before content blew up as much as it did half a decade later a few contests, a couple covers and a part was enough

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2022, 08:55:49 AM »
if i won soty i would handpick my soty trip to be as dystfunctional as possible

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2022, 09:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
SOTY has changed over the years on how its awarded. I think BA just destroyed the Euro contest circuit in his SOTY year (Jump off a Building was in 98 and Modus was 2000), and did Rowley drop anything in 2000 (Obviously, all the footage likely went to Sorry). Now, they easily could have had interviews/cover's that year which likely mattered way more back then even if the tricks weren't shown on video yet. In the past decade, it's probably AVE with just the Vans part and tricks in Boys of Summer. I feel it was around 2013 or so when Ishod dropped like 3 parts, then Wes won the next year with like 3 parts, that having a ton of footage throughout the year became the norm. Prior to that it wasn't uncommon for someone to win with one great part, and maybe do some thrasher-related stuff like go on skate rock or KOTR and do a cover/interview.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »
This is the same ole shit where you can compare….but you can’t….3 parts was a big deal back then…. IMO it’s based on 1) what that skater did that year compared to everyone else, specific to the mag 2) history

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2022, 10:06:02 AM »
Looks like Tyshawn isn’t doing so well in this poll, lol

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2022, 10:09:45 AM »
Looks like Tyshawn isn’t doing so well in this poll, lol

Well the question is "realistically who do you think will win?" and since he has already won and there have been some heavy parts from all corners of the skate world, I think most of us don't believe he is seriously in contention.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 110
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2022, 10:27:23 AM »
This is a tight race, maybe memory is failing me but felt like the last few years were only 2 skater races and we all knew who would actually get it (suciu and silva).

tyshawn had some insane skating in his parts but with him being a previous winner and having more cult support than widespread support for soty i think its not his year.

nyjah's parts would make him a shoo-in for soty if he wasnt nyjah. his style and 90% handrails and stairs skating might dock him points but if this was street league style judging hed win by a landslide. he is the uncool pick which thrasher under phelps wouldnt pick but who knows, nyjahs marketing reach is wide. also a lot of footage is a couple years old so who knows if that matters

Tfunk is the wildcard, most hellride and unhinged parts, embodies classic thrasher. less total minutes of footage but its all killer no filler. redoing the sw hillbomb and ender in the last part is mental. china banks ollie gives a lot of points but hard to put him over the other skaters output this year.

louie would be soty most other years with what hes done. hes who im rooting for but i think all deserve it. what i think hurts louies chances is lack of a big memorable trick. he does some nutty shit that i love and will remember but i gotta admit its a step behind a subway kickflip, nyjahs clipper tricks + ender, or tfunks china bank ollie.

4 skaters who are widely different have a chance, fun year
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 11:43:40 AM by Stu Pickles »

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2022, 10:34:58 AM »
This is a tight race, maybe memory is failing me but felt like the last few years were only 2 skater races and we all knew who would actually get it (suciu and silva).

tyshawn had some insane skating in his parts but withnbim being a previous winner and having more cult support than widespread support for soty i think its not his year.

nyjah's parts would make him a shoo-in for soty if he wasnt nyjah. his style and 90% handrails and stairs skating might dock him points but if this was street league style judging hed win by a landslide. he is the uncool pick which thrasher under phelps wouldnt pick but who knows, nyjahs marketing reach is wide. also a lot of footage is a couple years old so who knows if that matters

Tfunk is the wildcard, most hellride and unhinged parts, embodies classic thrasher. less total minutes of footage but its all killer no filler. redoing the sw hillbomb and ender in the last part is mental. china banks ollie gives a lot of points but hard to put him over the other skaters output this year.

louie would be soty most other years with what hes done. hes who im rooting for but i think all deserve it. what i think hurts louies chances is lack of a big memorable trick. he does some nutty shit that i love and will remember but i gotta admit its a step behind a subway kickflip, nyjahs clipper tricks + ender, or tfunks china bank ollie.

4 skaters who are widely different have a chance, fun year

As much as I wouldn’t like it, wouldn’t be surprised if t funk got it for all the reasons you stated. Just because he’s the most hell ride thrasher type. I mean he is really gnarly, his persona just irks me but that shouldn’t really matter. But Nyjah kinda just changed the handrail game also.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2022, 11:06:18 AM »
Just voted!

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2022, 11:09:43 AM »
Tfunk as first choice as the speed demon or Louie, can't wrap around jahs style.
:p

Fraserjamesjollyjamieson

• Rep: -17
  • Brown 2
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
Website appears to be down

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 110
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2022, 11:42:02 AM »
damn i got a weird message too

SilentBob

• Rep: -16
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2022, 11:56:55 AM »
Ishod got robbed

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2022, 12:09:52 PM »
Just hyped with get the better angle of the kickflip.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2022, 12:19:03 PM »
Predicting:

Tyshawn doesn’t get it, implies heavily that thrasher is racist via Instagram stories

Louie won’t, not enough oomph, but damn does he deserve/if I could skate like anybody it would be him.

It’s between tfunk and jah. If purely on merit of the tricks, jah wins, but we know it isn’t just that.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2022, 12:24:45 PM »
It would be funny if they gave it to Ryan Decenzo or something

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »
Not gonna lie, Decenzo’s SLS performances this year were epic, best thing about the mens comps

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not gonna lie, Decenzo’s SLS performances this year were epic, best thing about the mens comps

He De-sends it

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2022, 12:32:50 PM »
People are underrating some of Louie's bangers.  That front feeble pop-over above the spiked fence is straight up death-defying, as was the footage from his cover.  But the one that really stands out was the front shuv front nosegrind down that hubba in his last part.  He brought some heat for sure.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »
People are underrating some of Louie's bangers.  That front feeble pop-over above the spiked fence is straight up death-defying, as was the footage from his cover.  But the one that really stands out was the front shuv front nosegrind down that hubba in his last part.  He brought some heat for sure.

That front feeble was so fucked

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sick dude...where are we going? I was hoping Australia

Well I'm in Australia, and I hate flying so good chance
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

IpathCats

« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »

Abso-fucking-lutely, and it's because his execution is so good that they look easy for him. When you see that vs tfunk whos flying around, hanging on by a thread, im sure a lot of people dont quite fully grasp what louie just pulled off so gracefully.

Trick selection needs to be brought up whenever talking about louie, and that last part was a demonstration of PERFECT trick selection on his part. It's very hard to be tech and tasteful while also going big and executing simple tricks BEAUTIFULLY.