Poll

Realistically, who do you anticipate winning SOTY this year?

Jah
118 (27.5%)
T-Funk
98 (22.8%)
Louie
136 (31.7%)
Tyshawn
63 (14.7%)
Other
14 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 425

Voting closed: December 10, 2022, 09:52:05 AM

Author Topic: SOTY 2022 Contenders  (Read 17420 times)

rukes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
Re: SOTY 2022 Contenders
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2022, 10:56:27 PM »
Tfunk for that China Banks Ollie alone, the rest was just a victory lap.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!!!
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2022, 11:21:52 PM »
Fuck SOTY, but I went with Jah. TJ got robbed.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2022, 11:39:18 PM »
my gf’s ranking:

1. Louie - “He seems nice and I like his outfits. Also he does one trick and then does another trick quickly afterwards and I like that.”
2. T-Funk - “He scares me, but in a good way.”
3. Tyshawn - “He’s too tall and it makes him look weird on a skateboard. Also he seems rude.”
4. Nyjah - She wouldn’t even watch his part because she was already aware of the sexual assault stuff.

pretty solid tbh

maxpalmerfan

• Rep: -4
  • free max b
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2022, 12:37:45 AM »
really hoping louie takes it home. i wouldnt be mad at tfunk winning either, even though he's done the most death defying shit he still somehow feels like the underdog. i also have a feeling thrasher is a little tired of the nov/dec soty runs after the shit suciu pulled last year

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2022, 02:04:28 AM »
I was not thinking to vote, coz i don't think it matters and also it is a difficult choice, but voted Tfunk. His parts hype me the most and this is the skateboarding i love to watch. Louie is m second best, coz of his fluid and clean style, pure ellegance. Nyjah is like watching a video game, too gnarlie but robotic and kind of boring. Tyshawn is not my cup of tea either and i don't think he is gonna win.

Marv

• Rep: 99
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2022, 02:12:21 AM »
Ok here goes:  Nyjah has zero chance of getting it. He skates like a brain surgeon: technically impressive but sterile as can be. No soul and robotic. His parts were sick but they didn’t inspire me to pick up my board and skate. I’ll never watch his part again. TJ has pop like no other but the filming is among the worst of all time. So it ain’t happening. TFunk coming up big time.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2022, 02:14:09 AM »
Thrasher should just sack it all off and give it to one of the bladers from that WKND video

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2022, 03:15:22 AM »
My adult brain voted Jah on Thrashers site, my real personal choice is Louie, I think Thrasher is going to go with Funk

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2022, 03:25:23 AM »
Thrasher should just sack it all off and give it to one of the bladers from that WKND video

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2022, 06:25:25 AM »
My adult brain voted Jah on Thrashers site, my real personal choice is Louie, I think Thrasher is going to go with Funk
pretty much this

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
Expand Quote
I've heard from two generally reputable people, with one staying  Louie has been green lit as their guy earlier this year to be the SOTY, and the other saying Supreme ponying up a big chunk of change no company any of the other riders ride for are going to come close too in terms of advertising money.
[close]
dude texted Burnett Sunday asking who was gonna get it, he said “you’ll find out tomorrow “ and the louie part dropped the next day.

The weekend before Louie's part dropped, Burnett hard-posted a ten photo happy birthday montage of his dear friend Louie throughout the ages and I kinda took that as a sign that his decision was already made.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2022, 07:35:46 AM »
my gf’s ranking:

1. Louie - “He seems nice and I like his outfits. Also he does one trick and then does another trick quickly afterwards and I like that.”
3. Tyshawn - “He’s too tall and it makes him look weird on a skateboard. Also he seems rude.”
4. Nyjah - She wouldn’t even watch his part because she was already aware of the sexual assault stuff.

pretty solid tbh

Louie Lopez is pretty tall, taller actually

IpathCats

« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2022, 07:39:29 AM »
Expand Quote
my gf’s ranking:

pretty solid tbh
[close]

Tyshawn is out here on a child sized skateboard, that's why.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2022, 07:52:09 AM »

Jordan Taylor with the roller blade hippy jump
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Bony cawk

• Rep: 23
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2022, 07:57:54 AM »
they should give it to david gonzalez again just to piss everyone off

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2022, 09:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote
my gf’s ranking:

pretty solid tbh
[close]

you think? i guess i could believe it.

nonetheless Louie looks like he was born on a skateboard and Tyshawn undeniably does not have that same quality. i like Tyshawn's style and think it's interesting and fun to watch but it doesn't surprise me that someone who doesn't really know much about skateboarding would look at it and think it looks a bit unnatural

IpathCats

« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2022, 09:39:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my gf’s ranking:

pretty solid tbh
[close]

[close]

you think? i guess i could believe it.

nonetheless Louie looks like he was born on a skateboard and Tyshawn undeniably does not have that same quality. i like Tyshawn's style and think it's interesting and fun to watch but it doesn't surprise me that someone who doesn't really know much about skateboarding would look at it and think it looks a bit unnatural

I appreciate his skateboarding, but TJ does not have GREAT style. He is a bit stiff. maybe his abundance power comes at a cost to his mobility. Two very different schools of physical conditioning. I've always admired gymnasts/martial artists for the value they place on having both.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2022, 10:18:39 AM »
Tyshawns style is ice cold and straight to the point, understated and non contrived. He also has the best run-up steeze of anyone ever, when he's running / pushing full speed you know something absolutely fucked is about to happen

IpathCats

« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2022, 10:40:08 AM »
Tyshawns style is ice cold and straight to the point, understated and non contrived. He also has the best run-up steeze of anyone ever, when he's running / pushing full speed you know something absolutely fucked is about to happen

Yes, like a mannequin.

WPG

• Rep: -2
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2022, 10:45:19 AM »

Tyshawns style is arguably worse than Nyjahs now that he loosened his trucks and doesn't tic tac.

Also @Grrrreencans  Focus your account for saying TJ could do 95% of Nyjahs tricks, you're clearly just some dude dickriding Tyshawn with no licence which is in fact a focusable offence
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2022, 10:49:01 AM »
yall are insane

david gonzalez soty

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 15
« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2022, 10:49:28 AM »
T-Funk would be my choice. Growing up in SF I can and skating some of those spots I can say that most of them are not very easy to skate.  SF is not New York but if you can prove yourself there I'd say you are good to go. Tyshawn deserves it but got it not that it matters hugely but would be nice to spread the love more evenly.  Nyjah I think no matter what he does will not get it and I don't know why.  I have had a couple run ins with him he's not a great person but this isn't what the award is about.  They put him in the mag but it seems impossible for him to get SOTY. I don't follow the industry a ton so I can't speculate as to why this seems to be.

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 127
« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »
didn't tyshawn get evan smith's sloppy seconds after he turned down the nomination? (and there was some smoking gun with andrew reynolds having posted publicly about it?)

pointless to bring up that his year this year might be better than the year he won it if he just Gore v. Bush'd that shit in the first place.

tfunk wins trick of the year, nyjah and tyshawn can fight over 'duology of video parts released at the very end of the year' of the year, but louie embodied skater of the year status for 12 months for me personally.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2022, 11:15:52 AM »
didn't tyshawn get evan smith's sloppy seconds after he turned down the nomination? (and there was some smoking gun with andrew reynolds having posted publicly about it?)

pointless to bring up that his year this year might be better than the year he won it if he just Gore v. Bush'd that shit in the first place.

tfunk wins trick of the year, nyjah and tyshawn can fight over 'duology of video parts released at the very end of the year' of the year, but louie embodied skater of the year status for 12 months for me personally.
No. Dumb rumor. Evan Smith told The Bunt that SOTY is a goal of his and that Tyshawn killed it.

Mangust

• Rep: -2
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2022, 12:08:30 PM »
So much insane footage has been dropping this year it's difficult to choose the winner. From T-Funk all that I can remember is the ollie at China Banks. It is the trick of the year for sure but it's not enough to be a SOTY. Louie had some sick stuff but he is the most mellow skater of the contenders. Because of this he kind of gets left in the shadow of the others. Tyshawn had amazing tricks like the can ollie, bs noseblunt in SF and subway kickflip. For me it's a choose between him and Nyjah. Nyjah had so many groundbreaking tricks like the ss fs blunt and ss noseblunt on big hanrails. I think he deserves SOTY even if his skating is not the most inspiring.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2022, 03:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tyshawns style is arguably worse than Nyjahs now that he loosened his trucks and doesn't tic tac.

Also @Grrrreencans  Focus your account for saying TJ could do 95% of Nyjahs tricks, you're clearly just some dude dickriding Tyshawn with no licence which is in fact a focusable offence

End of discussion

Gravity

• Rep: -238
T funk is so much more soty than tj imo
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2022, 04:22:42 PM »
T funk obvious choice

This sucks

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988