Poll

Realistically, who do you anticipate winning SOTY this year?

Jah
118 (27.5%)
T-Funk
98 (22.8%)
Louie
136 (31.7%)
Tyshawn
63 (14.7%)
Other
14 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 425

Voting closed: December 10, 2022, 09:52:05 AM

Author Topic: SOTY 2022 Contenders  (Read 17144 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: SOTY 2022 Contenders
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2022, 10:44:10 PM »
*Slow inhale through filter-less cigarette*

*Slow exhale through gritted teeth*: Fred... Gall...

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

dannyprovolone

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2022, 10:47:08 PM »
How TF is Nik Stain a “contender”. I don’t mind his skating, but he goes around doing fast manuals and a switch front shuv nose manny or something here and there and he’s somehow a SOTY contender??? FFS

Damn he’s right lol

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2022, 10:50:46 PM »
T-Funk for me.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Sick Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2022, 10:52:53 PM »
Burnett and everyone at thrasher know that phelps would be rolling over in his grave if t funk didn’t get it. Anyone who thinks that nyjah has a chance is living on fantasy island

Fenchtost

• Rep: 0
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2022, 11:26:44 PM »
I've wanted every dude to win it at different times, starting T Funk (420 Baker part) then Louie (couple parts earlier), then Tyshawn (the General) then surprisingly Nyjah (Need that). Then T Funk's Deep fried part came out and it was a wrap for me. Two refreshing, rewatchable feel-good parts, with the China banks Ollie just doesnt compare to the rest imo. I love how the goal of the Deep fried part wasnt about just getting another "good" part under his belt for SOTY, but was about capturing as much of him having fun and skating at his current level every day because its sick to switch it up and have a different style part thats just as good after already having the classic Baker part earlier in the year. In comparison to Louirs Honor roll part, it's more genuine to me. Then wrapping it up with the New york dolls song to produce that energy that makes anyone wanna go skate around was just great. Phelps would definitely pick him just for the Ollie alone (like what he said about choosing Reynolds for how he did a kickflip the year he won it or whatever) and that's what the award was about, so he'd be the coolest choice. He's like the king of SF right now I imagine anyway so it just makes sense

fried

• Rep: 49
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2022, 11:48:24 PM »
phelps would choose tfunk or carlyle, but burnett is going to choose louie or nyjah

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2022, 11:56:03 PM »
I'm curious for who will join Nyjah for his SOTY trip if he wins. Bunch of rail chompers would make sense I suppose given the spots he likes.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2022, 12:00:07 AM »
I'm curious for who will join Nyjah for his SOTY trip if he wins. Bunch of rail chompers would make sense I suppose given the spots he likes.

DLoy, Sinner, all the Monster chicks and some NFT gurus go to Mallorca Ballermann

Jeff Bezos The Antichrist

• Rep: 29
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2022, 12:01:22 AM »
TJ Rogers winning SOTY would be the best possible outcome. Dude put out multiple parts while secretly battling cancer and wasn’t even aiming for SOTY or thought that he would even get nominated, only to be added to the list by popular demand. Love to see it.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2022, 12:09:36 AM »
i’m going tfunk. he’s the most “thrasher” of the 4 true contenders. trick of the year with china banks ollie, an nbd at one of the most legendary spots in sf (thrasher headquarters). fast, loose & exciting skateboarding in the home city of the mag. almost all of his footage this year is in sf which i think matters a lot & it’s all heavy stuff at staple spots (gap five o, all china banks footage, gap to nose wheelie, gap grind the street gap).. so on & so forth. as previously said if phelps was still with us i think tfunk would be his obvious choice without a doubt. i would not be upset if any of the other 3 got it though. this is easily the stiffest competition we’ve ever had for soty, it’s usually between 2 obvious choices with much less content from the both of them (aside from mason/suciu years which were pretty one sided). i’m just grateful we all got to be blessed with so much good content this year. it’s wild to think that people used to win off of a single 2-3 minute part, now there’s multiple people who have had 1-2 parts plus montage footage that won’t even be finalists. thanks leo romero.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2022, 12:12:23 AM »
also was thinking of this the other day & with nyjah being hurt, i feel like that slims his chances a lot being that he can’t just go get the soft cover right away or go on the trip. if they pushed it off for a bit though i figure it would be david loy, dominick walker, maybe sorgente or clive if he’s recovered by then as well & then just a handful of the nike team who is younger & down. it seems unlikely though.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2022, 02:23:55 AM »
I can’t believe im about to quote steezus, but he’s right - If Nyjah doesn’t get it this year after that part he never will.

Personally I wouldn’t mind if Nyjah got it, nobody can say he doesn’t deserve it. Then again so does TJ, Lou, and T-funk.

Toughest year ever?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2022, 02:38:19 AM »
Expand Quote
How TF is Nik Stain a “contender”. I don’t mind his skating, but he goes around doing fast manuals and a switch front shuv nose manny or something here and there and he’s somehow a SOTY contender??? FFS
[close]

Damn he’s right lol

Hockey X and the supreme video. He might not be winner material but I think giving him the nod is fair.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2022, 03:53:05 AM »
I REALLY HOPE SPANKY.. he deserves it so much, he's back to a great level, has a good mentality.. for the honor and his legendary status now, that would be consistent !!

IpathCats

« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2022, 04:26:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn he’s right lol
[close]

Hockey X and the supreme video. He might not be winner material but I think giving him the nod is fair.

He had some clips in Casper's Nike edit, and a couple other things

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2022, 05:35:47 AM »
Bunch of sadists over there at Thrasher to include so many dudes who have more chance to get struck by lightning than to win SOTY.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2022, 05:42:46 AM »
Objectively, nyjah deserves it. If kyle walker got it in 2016 and jamie foy in 2017, then like it or not nyjah has to get it now.

Tfunk's parts are good and the china banks nbd is def legit. But not enough to topple nyjah.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2022, 05:44:00 AM »
To be fair Bobby Dekeyzer had the best video part of 2022 and he’s not even on the list…and frankly there is some laughable ones on that made it on there. Let’s be real there are really only 4 real SOTY contenders anyway the rest is just giving credit where it’s due and leaving Bobby off was blatant disrespect.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2022, 07:05:50 AM »
Alex Willms and Alexis Ramirez being killing it the hole year and their not in the list

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2022, 07:52:48 AM »
Objectively, nyjah deserves it. If kyle walker got it in 2016 and jamie foy in 2017, then like it or not nyjah has to get it now.

Tfunk's parts are good and the china banks nbd is def legit. But not enough to topple nyjah.
Phelps said it all comes down to repping the mag and I just can’t imagine Nyjah ever getting it given his persona. He is the most skilled handrail skater ever and that was his best part, so I could be wrong.

All the top 4 are deserving, they can’t go wrong, but my vote is TFunk. China Banks is one for the history books. All his clips were fast, loose, and creative. I never cared much before 2022, but he killed it all year.

el bong

• Rep: 8
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2022, 08:21:33 AM »
TFunk all the way. That kind of instability is what thrasher is about. Even Louie's death defying shit didn't hold a candle to TFunk's. Tyshawn and Louie never look like theyre gonna slam or have slammed to get their trick  and something about that bothers me.

you can't be serious..

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2022, 08:30:06 AM »
Want Louie or Tyshawn to get it, but Nyjah’s SOTY trip video will be gnarly, albeit probably full of the worst fits and goobers galore.

TFunk embodies the whole Thrasher vibe more but we can’t honestly think he’s getting it over the onslaught that Ty and Nyjah put out

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2022, 09:16:56 AM »
To be fair Bobby Dekeyzer had the best video part of 2022 and he’s not even on the list…and frankly there is some laughable ones on that made it on there. Let’s be real there are really only 4 real SOTY contenders anyway the rest is just giving credit where it’s due and leaving Bobby off was blatant disrespect.

Agreed. BDK definitely deserved to be on that list!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »
i feel like even getting on the contenders list is a huge win for most of these people. so as much as i think some "dont deserve to be there cause they dont have an actual shot at winning" its nice to see thrasher at least recognize these people as killing it and giving them some exposure at this crucial time.

that might start to be a goal for people to just stay on that list for as long as possible and not care so mcuh about winning the award and that can stay down to a few top tier legends. that is a huge huge milestone for your sponsors to just be on this contenders list i would think. that should be an automatic shoo-in for continuing sponsorship as long as you arent a complete nincompoop. i think that should seal the deal for Jeff to get on Vans now... huge props to the ladies who made the list.

some people might have to start making 2 years plans just to get/stay on the list
ONTARIO CANADA

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »
It feels like Thrasher is obligated to put Robbie Sandoval on the list every year and I’m not sure why.

Hope it goes to T Funk, Freddy or Louie. Wouldn’t be upset with Tyshawn either.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
It feels like Thrasher is obligated to put Robbie Ronnie Sandoval on the list every year and I’m not sure why.

Hope it goes to T Funk, Freddy or Louie. Wouldn’t be upset with Tyshawn either.

Because he's super hellride lol

9inchdeck

• Rep: -18
Realistically, who do you anticipate winning SOTY this year?
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2022, 09:52:05 AM »
Sorry for the new thread. Just wanted to see how split everyone is considering how much effort all of these dudes put into it.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »
Oof, Thrasher’s Instagram with the least subtle attempt at reconciliation in history.

A fuck up is a fuck up, and Thrasher fucked over TJ Rogers hard.