Author Topic: Luan Oliveira’s 2022 'Lost & Found' Part  (Read 3492 times)

flempa1one

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
Re: Luan Oliveira’s 2022 'Lost & Found' Part
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 10:40:25 AM »
having almost 4k posts on a skateboard forum and not knowing what a fs bigspin is is insane

Yeah fully mental hahaha

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2022, 10:58:52 AM »
having almost 4k posts on a skateboard forum and not knowing what a fs bigspin is is insane

i feel like i'm taking crazy pills here. i've texted like a dozen people i grew up skating with, and none of us called it a bigspin. maybe it's because he catches the shuv before he turns his body that's throwing me? i dunno, maybe i'm explaining it like a moron.

oh well, i've always known i was a dunce, que sera.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 11:06:22 AM by shannamal »

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2022, 11:25:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wanna know what kind of deal Flip has that’s kept Luan on for so long. The brand’s been p much dead for years now,
[close]

And here we see SLAP's very own version of the Chekhov's Gun principal.
- With very few exceptions, if any brand is ever brought up by OP, there is a 100% chance that someone (or multiple people) in the comments will lament "that brand is dead" before the thread ends.
[close]
When was the last time Flip did anything that made you excited for the brand as a whole?

Signed Raimu Sasaki.

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2022, 11:41:07 AM »
imagine "losing" someone's part, then refinding it, rewatching it and still decide to keep this song in it. Holy fuck that was bad
ohyeahohyeah

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2022, 11:42:40 AM »
I bet Luan’s flip boards move a shitload in Brazil. That country goes positively apeshit for its homegrown stars

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2022, 12:49:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i feel like i'm taking crazy pills here. i've texted like a dozen people i grew up skating with, and none of us called it a bigspin. maybe it's because he catches the shuv before he turns his body that's throwing me? i dunno, maybe i'm explaining it like a moron.

You're leaving out the part i'm most curious about - what do you call the Luan trick, if not a bigspin?

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2022, 01:14:15 PM »
Luan is an interesting case. Amazing skater. Could just watch him skate flat and be happy. Seems like good dude too whenever he speaks.

But he’s never had that part that cemented his place where he should be.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You're leaving out the part i'm most curious about - what do you call the Luan trick, if not a bigspin?

front shove, late 180. he does a front shove, then a 180.

id be like if someone did a kickflip, then after they caught it, did a late shove; i wouldn't call it a varial, i'd call it a kickflip late shove. they're two separate motions to me, which i guess is what's tripping me up on the luan one. he fully catches the front shove, then turns his body. his right shoulder doesn't even begin to move until after he's caught the front shove

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2022, 02:51:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Luan steady ripping. Anyone know where this part was filmed? I'm guessing Brazil. Some really unique spots.

The filming was proper as well.

This mid line kickflip to immediate powerslide stood out:

And the front big spin flick and catch:

[close]

that's not a bigspin though right? he does a front shove and front 180, his board doesnt go 360. i've always thought bigspins had to go full 360 and your body a 180, am i an idiot?
[close]

B    r    u    h    .

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

id be like if someone did a kickflip, then after they caught it, did a late shove; i wouldn't call it a varial, i'd call it a kickflip late shove. they're two separate motions to me, which i guess is what's tripping me up on the luan one. he fully catches the front shove, then turns his body. his right shoulder doesn't even begin to move until after he's caught the front shove

How long have you been skating and this is the first time you've seen this called a bigspin?? You gotta be trolling

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is no way a dozen people that skate didn't  think thats a bigspin  ;D

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2022, 03:52:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wanna know what kind of deal Flip has that’s kept Luan on for so long. The brand’s been p much dead for years now,
[close]

And here we see SLAP's very own version of the Chekhov's Gun principal.
- With very few exceptions, if any brand is ever brought up by OP, there is a 100% chance that someone (or multiple people) in the comments will lament "that brand is dead" before the thread ends.
[close]
When was the last time Flip did anything that made you excited for the brand as a whole?
[close]

Signed Raimu Sasaki.
One thing in years. Not saying that isn’t dope but to say Flip is anything but irrelevant is a lie

dannyprovolone

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2022, 03:58:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

what kind of drugs do you smoke bro ? you literally just explained what a bigspin is

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2022, 04:47:44 PM »
this entire thread has me like

wonder what else i've been wrong about in life. 401ks for sure.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1137
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i fuck with you, but you gotta be joking. Right?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2022, 10:09:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

But if somebody did a kickflip catch then turned 180 would you still call it a frontside flip? (Aka the sarimento) that's probably closer to what's happening here.
In tiny bit defense there was a similar thought back when yeah right came out and Koston does a bigspin over that wavy bump to bar altho bigspins were kinda in a lul at the time and people quickly agreed bigspin once they thought about it for ten seconds

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2022, 11:32:46 PM »
Luan is the most disappointing skater of all time. Been waiting over a decade for an epic part from him and evidently ir is never coming.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 05:13:17 AM »
Luan is the most disappointing skater of all time. Been waiting over a decade for an epic part from him and evidently ir is never coming.

I agree, very disappointing

He figured out he could play it safe and not do anything particularly risky or interesting, since everyone creams themselves over his flatground. Fucking backside noseslides all day every day. Boring as shit. He could do so much amazing shit into, say, a back noseblunt, but he chooses to do backside noseslides. It's just always such a let down.

I wonder if he's ever had someone give him some constructive criticism on his trick selection, or if everyone just gives him a good ball-washing

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 05:29:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He figured out he could play it safe and not do anything particularly risky or interesting, since everyone creams themselves over his flatground. Fucking backside noseslides all day every day. Boring as shit. He could do so much amazing shit into, say, a back noseblunt, but he chooses to do backside noseslides. It's just always such a let down.

I wonder if he's ever had someone give him some constructive criticism on his trick selection, or if everyone just gives him a good ball-washing

While I too think it is disappointing, I dont think thats the full story and your comment kinda reads like the fundamental attribution error tbh. Someone else said that he was not into the skate vibe in california and hes not the only one, many come back from califronia disenchanted (blown out spots, hour long car drives, getting kicked out, getting tickets, expensive cost of living, etc.). But I guess having a productive pro career (as in filming respected and groundbreaking videoparts) outside the US is only feasible for Europeans/ in Europe, if anything.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2022, 05:30:06 AM »
The idea that Luan has some kind of limitless untapped potential that he just chooses not to use is ridiculous.
Dude is clearly a total skate rat and has given everything he has to skateboarding.
Bummer for you if you can't enjoy his skating for what it is.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2022, 05:38:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

have you seen my man's footage? his ass, balls, and dick sweat like a fucking firehose... he needs a lot more than a good ball-washing (literal or figurative)

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2022, 06:26:34 AM »
We need to start a go fund me and send Luan to house of Gustav for a winter ( definitely not summer ). 

Has one of the best flicks in the game. 

I think some good filming and editing with a little bit of creative guidance will produce that part we are waiting for.

He’s amazingly skilled and likable. The filler footage / B roll in this was majorly overdone as well.     Berrics find a way to ruin everything.

8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2022, 06:58:34 AM »
Kind of rough cut of Luan at 18 years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4mvuP0doWQ

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2022, 02:31:56 PM »
this entire thread has me like

wonder what else i've been wrong about in life. 401ks for sure.

@shannamal its no big deal. For a long time certain tricks would get provincial names. There was a weird period in the early 90s when out ledges and hubbas were called nibs and jibs by one or more of the mags for some reason. I'm glad that didn't stick.
On the topic of Luan - he rips and has a sick style but I feel like he never really put out a defining part. To be fair though if you could get paid to skate on a team with Arto and Geoff (back when Flip was respected) and not kill yourself skating gnarly stuff I think most of us would go that route.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:59:01 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »
The idea that Luan has some kind of limitless untapped potential that he just chooses not to use is ridiculous.
Dude is clearly a total skate rat and has given everything he has to skateboarding.

Dude's easily one of the most talented skaters of his generation. Right up there with Shane O'Neill, ishod, ck etc. Extremely sorry is his best part in terms of technicality, versatility and big gaps, and he was around 18 at the time. Style has gotten much better but parts after that have basically been 90% stuff he does first try in contests. I'm happy to watch him skate but it's just a bit of a bummer he didn't have the drive to really push himself

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 59
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2022, 02:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude's easily one of the most talented skaters of his generation. Right up there with Shane O'Neill, ishod, ck etc. Extremely sorry is his best part in terms of technicality, versatility and big gaps, and he was around 18 at the time. Style has gotten much better but parts after that have basically been 90% stuff he does first try in contests. I'm happy to watch him skate but it's just a bit of a bummer he didn't have the drive to really push himself

You explained it perfectly, it’s not that we don’t enjoy his skating- far from it- it’s just obvious from his output that he hasn’t pushed himself for his parts in the same way we might have seen other prodigious talents on the board.
I’ll still watch anything he puts out , but I’m over expecting anything other than the level I’ve already seen.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 05:13:54 PM »

It’s just this but the opposite in terms of Masaki Hongo doing the 180 first and then late shuv, Luan did the shuv first then the 180. Both are still big spins, I think the way Masaki did it is rarer.