Author Topic: Armin Bachman in Sucker  (Read 761 times)

midnitecruiser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -66
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Armin Bachman in Sucker
« on: December 13, 2022, 12:53:29 PM »
from http://skatepartreviews.substack.com/p/armin-machman-sucker

I’ve already skated today and am home in bed when Max hits me up. He and Kyle are pulling up to triangle. My knee feels sore, but I say I’ll dress and skate over, which I do, on my cruiser. I see Kyle rolling away from a manual as I arrive and he gives me a pound, his hands in fingerless cut off gloves. Max is down the way gearing up for a trick while Brandon sits on the island. I see now that Max texted me to ask if I had an extra board for Brandon, but I’m content to post up and let Brandon ride mine. A loud sound startles us as a car driving down Forsyth runs over some street debris. Max indicates a old man who emerges once the car drives off. He drags planks of wood and lays them across the street.

Kyle hits slappy smith grinds while Brandon practices ollies and Max and I catch up. Another vehicle scrapes its undercarriage rolling over the treated flora scraps, an effective speed bump which prompts wonder if this dam-demanding senior knew the elderly pedestrian who got killed by a driver last year on this block. As I relate to his disdain for automobiles, we skaters’ raucous reaction to another car bottoming out on this destructive stuff draws the driver’s attention our way. We shrug innocence and resume watching in silence as this self-employed contractor continues laying his obstacle course. He ducks back into shadows when cars approach. A driver stops, steps out, removes 4 wooden planks to the curbside and proceeds along his route after this minute’s pit stop. The builder again returns and rebuilds as our quartet grow cold standing and watching.

Fewer skaters seem to be drinking these days, and rather than a bar, our crew heads to Williamsburg Pizza for pepperoni slices and warmth. We then say goodbyes and I skate to the EBT store for further refreshments. Home again, I decide what video part to review next. Sammy at Labor says Sucker is the hottest new release, featured on Free Skate Mag. I usually call them lollipops, but search up Sucker and wonder whose part will capture my spirit as I twist the top off a gently shaken Bruce Cost Ginger Ale, open a bag of Albanese sour gummy bears and press play…

https://youtu.be/ieIn6jPGxVs?t=635

Ten minutes and 30 seconds later, after the first friends section finishes with the demented clown face that makes for Sucker’s screenshot, Armin Bachman appears: wearing a tie-dye shirt high-fiving a fast skating youngster, who promptly wipes out following the exchange. First trick, Armin executes a switch nose wallie over a girthy yellow pole. His excitement upon success bodes well as a commitment to our entertainment then he slips out toward the bottom of the switch hill bomb.

Armin owns Orchard Skate Shop and is the first skater wearing Nikes in Sucker. Sun Ra’s “Live from Outer Space” soundtrack is a fresh reprieve from earlier tunes. Armin’s stance is regular, while he proves equally adept at fakie, switch and nollie approaches. He cruises cutty crust in cursive like Tom Penny in Sorry skates mini ramp like he’s rolling a joint. Switch wallie back tail stands out, followed by hypnotizing filming that accentuates a whirlwind ledge combo. Armin nollie front 180 no-complies up a curb to start a line and performs further party tricks with controlled elegance that suits his closet of tasteful button-ups alongside more festive shirts. His hair hangs just above shoulder length, which compliments his spiritual acknowledgement of adulthood’s reality while nevertheless subjecting that to creative critique under terms that align with values developed as a young skater who realized his board held the keys to everything. Bachman bends curlicues to fakie on a variety of twisted slappies down drains and snaps a springy backside flip cellar door to cellar door. He knows the loading docks with banks and doesn’t pop unless he needs to while scraping back Smiths on lips regular and switch. He pay the heating bills in wintertime, while in fairer seasons taking time to watch swans swim while his dog paddles in a public fountain.

Armin’s ender, that of switch back wallride fakie front shove over and out to switch, was posted on Twitter by @sPortManteau89 last week:

So psyched on this Armin Bachman part in the Sucker vid. Don’t think I’ve ever seen this one switch.

9:20 PM ∙ Dec 6, 2022
Retweets

so I enjoyed recognizing this trick as the apex of the fleet footed the groundwork laid before. This two minute part sits in the middle of the 27 minute video and I think this placement acknowledges Armin’s role as bedrock of the Boston scene and probably the oldest participant in this video. His every trick besides a switch 5050 handrail ride on features street transition of some sort. This dude has lived a life of attentive skatespot study and practice. He’s like Jerry Mraz mixed with Mark Humienik and 80’s Joe. I hope he has skated with Doug Korfhagen before and that Orchard Shop wants to sell Dollar Stories. Armin posts his music mixes at

http://www.bachsteady.com

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 01:08:37 PM by midnitecruiser »

thebacker

Re: Armin Bachman in Sucker
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 01:27:33 PM »
ok

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »
thats crazy

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
tldnr

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 10:34:32 AM »
no chance
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »
It's hard to write about skating, but you did a great job expressing your thoughts about this part. I thought this was a nice touch: "He pays the heating bills in wintertime, while in fairer seasons taking time to watch swans swim while his dog paddles in a public fountain."

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 01:23:39 PM »

Sam Alone

• Rep: 9
    • Orchard avatar image
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 05:40:52 PM »
Not gonna lie, definitely a trip to see someone starting a post with my name in it.
Thank you for taking the time to write all that and for all the love! 
Coakley did the skrelly kickflip and Philly cheese grind, and Myles Underwood and Trevor Thompson had clips in there too.

Real props are to Ted and his vision for putting this masterpiece together, and to the rest of the crew for making my old ass feel welcome on the sesh and keeping me motivated to push myself.

Here’s the full vid

https://youtu.be/ieIn6jPGxVs