Author Topic: anyone else think nyjah steps off the gas pedal?  (Read 4380 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
Re: anyone else think nyjah steps off the gas pedal?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2022, 01:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Gary interviewed him recently after soty was announced. Doesn’t sound like he will be slowing down anytime soon. I mean that last video he put out was filmed in six days. It would take a lot of other pros six years to get that footage.
[close]

Yikes. Didnt it take Tyshawn took 4 years to put out his 3 small and kinda identical parts?

That's nuts
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2022, 01:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not winning SOTY is the best thing that could have happened for him as it’s softened the general level of hate for him and make people reckon with his talent even if it looks like dogshit.
[close]

It's true. He somehow became the underdog.
[close]

It’s really quite astounding.
Underdog + comeback from injury he's going to pull whatever skateboardings version of Steven Bradbury is

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 63
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2022, 01:32:29 PM »
Nylon you will always be my SOTY

conan777

• Rep: -52
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2022, 01:50:30 PM »
Nyjah should grow a beard.

He can't. Best he can do is his little goatee thing

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2022, 01:54:14 PM »
He tore his ACL in August, so it really depends on how well his recovery goes.

He'll probably still be able to compete at a high level for SLS, so he should continue that. Thrasher SOTY isn't the end-all-be-all of skateboarding, despite what they may claim.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2022, 02:21:03 PM »
OP you can't keep Nigel down he being going full throttle for himself and his legacy right thru to next Olympics (minimum) IMHO.

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I mean, why bother?

I was hoping LL would get it, but Nigel has no reason to ever go that hard again if this year didn't bag it for him.
[close]

With the caveat that I don't really care about who wins SOTY (except that it's fun to take about when work in slow), if I were Nyjah, I would cut Thrasher out of my life. Stop giving them 500k views in a week with your video parts, stop getting photos on the cover, etc. Nyjah's net worth is enough to buy Thrasher outright - he doesn't need them for his career to be successful.
[close]
There's been a couple times where somebody didn't win but kept up the pace and won it the next year (usually those mentioned in the worst soty thread) Kinda like thrasher took it all into account. If they snub him two years in a row tho yeah fuck em
[close]

Yeah, that's true, but this is his second big SOTY push (the first being back in 2013), and he's going to be out all year. I'm sure there's some B-roll footage sitting around, but even if he's back on the board by mid-year, I doubt he'll be recording SOTY-level footage. And frankly, I'm sort of talking more about the emotional response rather than the logical one.

Will 2023 be the year we get some experimental artsy video made entirely of Nyjah b-roll???

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2022, 03:26:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I mean, why bother?

I was hoping LL would get it, but Nigel has no reason to ever go that hard again if this year didn't bag it for him.
[close]

With the caveat that I don't really care about who wins SOTY (except that it's fun to take about when work in slow), if I were Nyjah, I would cut Thrasher out of my life. Stop giving them 500k views in a week with your video parts, stop getting photos on the cover, etc. Nyjah's net worth is enough to buy Thrasher outright - he doesn't need them for his career to be successful.
[close]
There's been a couple times where somebody didn't win but kept up the pace and won it the next year (usually those mentioned in the worst soty thread) Kinda like thrasher took it all into account. If they snub him two years in a row tho yeah fuck em
[close]

Yeah, that's true, but this is his second big SOTY push (the first being back in 2013), and he's going to be out all year. I'm sure there's some B-roll footage sitting around, but even if he's back on the board by mid-year, I doubt he'll be recording SOTY-level footage. And frankly, I'm sort of talking more about the emotional response rather than the logical one.
[close]

Will 2023 be the year we get some experimental artsy video made entirely of Nyjah b-roll???

Pants? Never!!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »
You ever wonder why sending it, and mailing it in, mean such different things? 

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »

“Sending it” is what you do when you think skater of the year is awarded by stacking clips of crazy skating.

“Mailing it in” is what supreme does with a check to buy you thrasher skater of the year.

Cousin Avi

• Rep: -2
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2022, 05:20:44 PM »
Hard take: he was offered the SOTY trophy but in light of how he had portrayed himself before 2022 he wanted to be the "underdog" this time and gave it up to TJ, so he can have a real type of "street reputation", and that's why we are all talking about how goo he is and all of that... he doesn't need this, he has all figured out until the end of his career...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2022, 05:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“Sending it” is what you do when you think skater of the year is awarded by stacking clips of crazy skating.

“Mailing it in” is what supreme does with a check to buy you thrasher skater of the year.

And then there’s going postal….

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2022, 06:05:35 PM »
I’m starting to think I actually like nyjah.  Watched the whole interview with Steve o and it’s fuckin crazy how he grew up, so easy to forget that.  His dad made him jump on rails bigger than some pros skate in their whole career at 7 fuckin years old.  As he says, at this point it what he does and he need it. 

What he doesn’t need is thrasher.   Fuck them, he should never give them footy again.  Might be a good time to revisit thrasher making bank off everyone’s hard work overall, they’ve had a pretty good run of content/engagement farming these past 10-15 years.

I actually don’t disagree with this . Thrasher got real lucky with their merch becoming celeb fodder, the web content and all three other print magazines folding around the same time.
Until the 2010s they were arguably the 3rd place magazine in the consumer eye.

Transworld and the skateboard mag always had better journalism and video content with transworld videos being a big thing for a skater to be in and the skateboard mag having really solid online content before the other magazines.

I’m biased though as I always hated phelps and thrashers articles journalism was like reading a 10th grade burnouts English assignments.

Thrasher is great as an online skate media aggregate but it really only works cause skateboarding as a whole has dropped the ball on the power of YouTube. With instagram beginning to die it would be a prudent move for riders and brands alike to real take a harder look at YouTube and tik tok as a platform to break away from the thrasher machine.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

sprained_ankle

• Rep: -12
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2022, 06:13:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m starting to think I actually like nyjah.  Watched the whole interview with Steve o and it’s fuckin crazy how he grew up, so easy to forget that.  His dad made him jump on rails bigger than some pros skate in their whole career at 7 fuckin years old.  As he says, at this point it what he does and he need it. 

What he doesn’t need is thrasher.   Fuck them, he should never give them footy again.  Might be a good time to revisit thrasher making bank off everyone’s hard work overall, they’ve had a pretty good run of content/engagement farming these past 10-15 years.
[close]

I actually don’t disagree with this . Thrasher got real lucky with their merch becoming celeb fodder, the web content and all three other print magazines folding around the same time.

Transworld and the skateboard mag always had better journalism and video content with transworld videos being a big thing for a skater to be in and the skateboard mag having really solid online content before the other magazines.

I’m biased though as I always hated phelps and thrashers articles journalism was like reading a 10th grade burnouts English assignments.

Thrasher is great as an online skate media aggregate but it really only works cause skateboarding as a whole has dropped the ball on the power of YouTube. With instagram beginning to die it would be a prudent move for riders and brands alike to real take a harder look at YouTube and tik tok as a platform to break away from the thrasher machine.

this.

no one gave shit about SOTY until all the other mags folded. Transworld videos/mags were top dogg.
hi,am new here

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hellride, skate rock, t-eddy awards, hall of meat… it all feels like shit the neighbor kid in Toy Story woulda loved.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
What if they just think he has more than enough trophies?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2022, 06:29:33 PM »
He was going hard this year beacuse he needed a happy ending for his documental

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2022, 07:48:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I mean, why bother?

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pants? Never!!

Amazing comment

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2022, 07:52:51 PM »
Jah’s going to grind up the UCI hubba

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2022, 01:44:08 PM »
He should just buy High Speed and crown himself SOTY.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -61
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2022, 02:36:42 PM »
the real person who been off the gas is Ishod. I miss his output more than anything or anyone ever.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 78
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2022, 02:41:45 PM »
No. He will do the complete opposite and focus on his BMX career

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2022, 02:52:48 PM »
the real person who been off the gas is Ishod. I miss his output more than anything or anyone ever.
He put out a nine minute part earlier in the year. Honestly any other year I think he’d have been in SOTY contention

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2022, 02:56:17 PM »
I’m glad I’m not the only one still thinking about jah, after one more day in this unfair world.

It feels like he was my dorky study buddy, who I never really looked at that way, until he took off his glasses  and got all dressed up for thrashers prom.  I realized he’s actually the hottest, coolest, and most importantly nicest chick in the school, and some bully bitch is on stage winning prom Queen.  I’m definitely gonna try to fix this going forward, even though I’m leaving for college next year.

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2022, 02:59:31 PM »
still doesn't count

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »
We all know whose trophy it is.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2022, 05:12:31 PM »
I was watching his latest Nike part and was going to  come on here and say he got robbed.  When I was shutting my TV off I noticed that there was a  third of the part  to go.   I  turned my TV on and watched the rest.  My opinion only got stronger and  I  believe if he put that part out on thrasher he would have won it.   All about those advertising dollars.   Screw it, the trophy means nothing this year.

switchfakie

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2022, 08:40:49 PM »
I mean, why bother?

my only complaint was the lack of variation. most of the tricks i remember from his parts were rail tricks. to be fair, i also feel the same way about tyshawn and his gap addiction

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 22
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »
you mean of

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2022, 03:56:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Not winning SOTY is the best thing that could have happened for him as it’s softened the general level of hate for him and make people reckon with his talent even if it looks like dogshit.
[close]

If Nyjah looks like dogshit what do we call Tyshawns stiff legged shenanigans?

Tushawn was bussin up mid front 50-50 on those alley way rails