Author Topic: Philly scene  (Read 2087 times)

MorningSesh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 76
Philly scene
« on: December 14, 2022, 12:21:12 PM »
Born & raised in NY but i’ve been really over how expensive the housing situation is here.
I’ve been considering more affordable places to live in and that still have a great scene & Philly has been top of mind lately.

Can any locals help fill me in on how the scene is nowadays? How harsh are the winters? & maybe best areas to live in for skating?

cky enthusiast

Re: Philly scene
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 08:09:08 AM »
the scene is strong as fuck. winters are the same as NYC but a little less snowy cause we’re further from the ocean. live in south philly like everyone else. don’t move to fishtown or you’re an instant kook.

i also moved away from the northeast months ago so take this with a grain of salt

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 09:32:10 AM »
Tons more to skate now (skatepark-wise) than when I lived there 2000-2009.  New stuff at Rizzo Rink is extremely fun, as are the recent upgrades at Whitehall.  Totally different sides of the city though.  Lots of fun parks in the suburbs like Langhorne and Lansdale.  DIY at 9th and Brown is ever-evolving, and a half dozen parks smattered around the city I haven't even mentioned.  I did my time but it's always fun to go back and skate.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
The skate scene in Philly is the best it’s ever been IMO.  In addition to the street spots everyone thinks of there are a decent amount of smaller skateparks that have been built throughout the city over more recent-ish years (in the Lower Northeast, Kensington/Fishtown, South Philly, West Philly, Southwest Philly) and a number of different cool DIY spots.  Like someone mentioned, 9th and Poplar is a terrific diverse obstacle DIY, there’s a more lowkey (but still pretty large) DIY spot in Roxborough, a few in South Philly, etc.  Obviously you also have FDR, the big semi-plaza influenced skatepark by the Art Museum (Paine’s Park), and there are also some indoor places to skate as well in both the city and suburbs with paid memberships. 

In terms of areas to live for skating, if you have a car basically anywhere but the parking sucks in a lot of the denser, nicer, and/or more trendy neighborhoods.  Things within walking distance to the Broad Street line and the Market Frankford El which are the two “subway” type lines are the easiest for public transportation (South Philly in the vicinity of Broad Street - East Passyunk and more eastern portion of Point Breeze, Fishtown/Northern Liberties northeast of Center City, some of the trendier parts of West Philly not far from Drexel/Penn, Spring Garden/Francisville in lower North Philly - Fairmount is another great neighborhood in that area but it’s a little further from the BSL but it’s easily skateable/walkable to Center City and stuff).  There are also “regional rail” lines which go to further out neighborhoods in the city and extend far into the surburbs (they run less frequently though).  East Falls, Manayunk, parts of Roxborough, parts of Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill are all accessible within walking distance of regional rail lines.  Those neighborhoods are varying degrees of further from Center City and generally a little quieter than South Philly, Fishtown, etc. but there are still bars and restaurants and stuff to do.  There are also decently walkable suburbs along regional rail lines which have some cool stuff going on - Jenkintown, Ambler (which has a skatepark, Lansdale (which has a skatepark), Conshohocken, Doylestown.   Not as familiar with these areas but parts of the “Main Line” in the surburbs directly west of the city, also Media in Delaware County - many others too but I don’t know Delaware County or the Jersey suburbs that well…

Winters are essentially the same as NYC.  Some of the spots are semi-covered like 9th and Poplar and FDR so depending what’s up with how the snow fell you can get lucky or once they’re cleared out they’re skateable sooner than other outdoor spots. 

Kind of a rambling response.  Hope that helped…
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 04:40:32 PM by big_kev_215 »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 05:31:26 PM »
The diy in Roxborough is hittin.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »
Thanks yall, this does help me out. Definitely need to visit and check out some of these neighborhoods and spots.
Im guessing Fishtown/Kensington is the Philly equivalent of NY's Williamsburg/Greenpoint area(gentrified).

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 09:02:33 PM »
Thanks yall, this does help me out. Definitely need to visit and check out some of these neighborhoods and spots.
Im guessing Fishtown/Kensington is the Philly equivalent of NY's Williamsburg/Greenpoint area(gentrified).

Not all of Kensington is gentrified. Some of it is quite gnarly. Stay away from K&A aka Zombieland.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 05:46:41 PM »

It most certainly is

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 11:54:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It most certainly is

Where dat?

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
I just moved from the Philly area but love love love the Philly skate scene, I think its the best scene imo. Miss it so bad

Thanks to 5th Pocket, skateparks are popping up/expanding in and around the city every other month it seems like and they always build dope, well made, parks.

I lived in Cheltenham, PA its just outside city limits of North Philly, and I would be a 20-30 min drive to almost every park in the surrounding suburbs area, or to downtown center city and be skating to a million diff spots there.

My favorite spots were Cecil, Muni, 9th & Pop, and the new Front Street park (aka Rizzo). But shoutout Ambler skatepark, and my Wall Park crew in EP, those were my fav suburb parks closest to me.

I could go on all day and list a million different parks and spots there, its really such a skate heavy city/area and the skaters there are all mad talented and nice, as long as you don't show up to the spot acting like a kook.

Pastasash

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 12:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It most certainly is
[close]

Where dat?

dope DIY spot where the old tennis courts are at in Gorgas Park

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »
I just moved from the Philly area but love love love the Philly skate scene, I think its the best scene imo. Miss it so bad

Thanks to 5th Pocket, skateparks are popping up/expanding in and around the city every other month it seems like and they always build dope, well made, parks.

I lived in Cheltenham, PA its just outside city limits of North Philly, and I would be a 20-30 min drive to almost every park in the surrounding suburbs area, or to downtown center city and be skating to a million diff spots there.

My favorite spots were Cecil, Muni, 9th & Pop, and the new Front Street park (aka Rizzo). But shoutout Ambler skatepark, and my Wall Park crew in EP, those were my fav suburb parks closest to me.

I could go on all day and list a million different parks and spots there, its really such a skate heavy city/area and the skaters there are all mad talented and nice, as long as you don't show up to the spot acting like a kook.

So many sick skaters came from that Wall Park scene  in recent years

thebacker

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 08:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

shoutout beans, wall park legend

barnyard laughter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
Laaaaaird!
also, joe hardcore has a chapter of FSU in philly if you're into hardcore and fighting.
quim cardona described the east coast as a 'militant training facility'.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 12:56:00 PM »
FSU been done and dusted, are you posting from 2005?

Pastasash

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 08:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

shoutout beans, wall park legend

My man Beanssss, and shouts to other Wall legends, CJ, Kev, Joey, T, etc y'all know. much love!

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2023, 06:38:35 AM »
Bump, headed to Philly for the first time next weekend. Gonna be solo dolo. Will I get vibed out not being a local at FDR? Should I roll up with a 6 pack to ease the tension as is customary (or so I've heard) about Burnside? Am I overthinking this?

Pastasash

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2023, 07:58:23 AM »
Bump, headed to Philly for the first time next weekend. Gonna be solo dolo. Will I get vibed out not being a local at FDR? Should I roll up with a 6 pack to ease the tension as is customary (or so I've heard) about Burnside? Am I overthinking this?

You'll only get kooked at FDR if you show up to do kook activities like film a rap video in the deep ends of bowls or have a photo shoot with all the graffiti. Just show up, say a quick waddup to ppl, and skate and you won't get vibed out anywhere in the city

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2023, 05:22:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'll only get kooked at FDR if you show up to do kook activities like film a rap video in the deep ends of bowls or have a photo shoot with all the graffiti. Just show up, say a quick waddup to ppl, and skate and you won't get vibed out anywhere in the city
;)

adam22savage

• Rep: -45
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 06:37:23 AM »
Laaaaaird!
also, joe hardcore has a chapter of FSU in philly if you're into hardcore and fighting.
quim cardona described the east coast as a 'militant training facility'.
never heard of Joe Hardcore, is he a real skater? what's Laaaaird?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »
u aint never gonna know

switchfakie

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 10:11:11 PM »
north philly rent is cheap asf

take a day trip & skate cecil -> muni -> nocturnal -> rizzo. also don't take any septa lines, just push

do that a couple times & you'll learn if you like it or not

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2023, 12:21:37 PM »
Old dude 30s in south Philly. I moved here from New York in 2018 but wasn't skating at the time. Parks here are kinda small and specialized. For transition we got greys, granahan, and FDR (not small but still specialized has a very small "street section". For plaza we have front street, muni, Paine's. Whitehall kinda has both but is out of the way. 9th and pop is a diy and is ever growing but the ground kinda sucks. I don't have a car and take the train to all of them no prob.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 06:19:37 AM »
Old dude 30s in south Philly. I moved here from New York in 2018 but wasn't skating at the time. Parks here are kinda small and specialized. For transition we got greys, granahan, and FDR (not small but still specialized has a very small "street section". For plaza we have front street, muni, Paine's. Whitehall kinda has both but is out of the way. 9th and pop is a diy and is ever growing but the ground kinda sucks. I don't have a car and take the train to all of them no prob.

you take the train from south Philly to Whitehall? name does NOT check out.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2023, 05:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BSL to MFL to Bridge street ain't bad

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2023, 06:31:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That downhill skate from Arrott Transportation Center to Whitehall is mad fun.

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 10:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hey its not bad. Bsl to cityhall then take the El east to whitehall, zembo indoor mini, or if you hate yourself pops. If you want to skate what I feel is one of the best parks in philly granahan you take it west. All park are a less then 10-15 min skate from a train station. The El is a little sketchy in the winter, but I just keep my headphones on and no one bothers me.

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hey its not bad. Bsl to cityhall then take the El east to whitehall, zembo indoor mini, or if you hate yourself pops. If you want to skate what I feel is one of the best parks in philly granahan you take it west. All park are a less then 10-15 min skate from a train station. The El is a little sketchy in the winter, but I just keep my headphones on and no one bothers me.

This Pop's slander will not stand

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2024, 09:12:02 AM »
philadelphia- ill be inside you later today and through the wknd. holler if youre keen