Author Topic: THE RACE TO SOTY & SOME THOUGHTS ON RACE by Anthony Pappalardo  (Read 11425 times)

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: THE RACE TO SOTY & SOME THOUGHTS ON RACE by Anthony Pappalardo
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2022, 07:41:15 AM »
Expand Quote
this guy sucks so bad.  he definitely wrote that and sat back and said "god damn i am so much smarter than everyone that will read this"

do people forget or just flat out not know that nyjah is black?
[close]

Yea, this shit makes me laugh tbh. When tyshawn was talking about his being the first black owned board brand, it's funny enough that he just completely disregards all of them from the past, but he also completely ignores the one owned by his biggest SOTY competitor.

I respect tyshawns skating, but this ignorance/ego shit is only gonna get you so far before you wind up looking like Mikey Alfred out here on some total kook shit.
Isn’t Stevie co owner of DGK with Kalis?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2022, 07:43:10 AM »
Just so I am clear, this Anthony Pappalardo is not the Anthony Pappalardo? This dork adopted Anthony Pappalardo as a fucking pen name?!

No, it’s his real name.

My theory has always been that someone hired him thinking that the had the real pops (I think it was espn) and by the time they realized what had happened, it was past the point where they could fire him without taking a hit on their unemployment rate. 

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2022, 07:43:33 AM »
im just glad we’re finally having these important conversations  8)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2022, 07:44:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this guy sucks so bad.  he definitely wrote that and sat back and said "god damn i am so much smarter than everyone that will read this"

[close]

Yea, this shit makes me laugh tbh. When tyshawn was talking about his being the first black owned board brand, it's funny enough that he just completely disregards all of them from the past, but he also completely ignores the one owned by his biggest SOTY competitor.

I respect tyshawns skating, but this ignorance/ego shit is only gonna get you so far before you wind up looking like Mikey Alfred out here on some total kook shit.
[close]

He seems to be discounting co-ownership groups with a white person involved

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2022, 07:56:06 AM »
one of the dumbest things ive ever read

+1

#notmyanthonypappalardo

IpathCats

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2022, 07:58:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah, stevie and the dude that owns kayo, Troy Morgan

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

He seems to be discounting co-ownership groups with a white person involved

And also city stars for some reason lol

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »
"SOTY and some thoughts of race" no thanks.

I'm sure a bunch of people arrived at the same joke, but I created a "NOT MY SOTY" meme with a very deep sense of irony, more about the reaction from people flipping their lids over who gets a magazine trophy than any vague accusations of racism. If anything, there's a class element at play, but we have no vocabulary for a conversation about class in America so I won't even bother with that. But obviously, the people who were upset, were upset that the other black guy didn't win, so you know, it's not really particularly racist.

I laughed when I saw that he referenced your meme

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -30
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »
This dork adopted Anthony Pappalardo as a fucking pen name?!
Nope. He wrote a letter in to one of the first issues of Slap with the same name.

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2022, 08:24:21 AM »
Just so I am clear, this Anthony Pappalardo is not the Anthony Pappalardo? This dork adopted Anthony Pappalardo as a fucking pen name?!

This guy was in Ten Yard Fight and In My Eyes and now he thinks he’s a journalist.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2022, 08:26:32 AM »
This guy strikes me as the sort that would post a recipe online only to spend a few paragraphs talking about irrelevant shit before getting to the actual ingredients/method.
His name throws me off every time too.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2022, 08:53:52 AM »
This guy strikes me as the sort that would post a recipe online only to spend a few paragraphs talking about irrelevant shit before getting to the actual ingredients/method.
His name throws me off every time too.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2022, 08:56:57 AM »
I’m not reading that. That shit is for Suciu and people who like him

LOL
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -212
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2022, 09:07:38 AM »
“I’m not a contest skater. No shade, but doing the same five tricks over and over perfectly is boring—it’s just doing the same thing. I like to do what’s in my mind.”

haha, bulllllllllshit.

tyshawn is incredibly vocal about how much $$$ means to him. if he could be a contest skater, he would in a heartbeat, but you know for damn sure he would never be able to hang against all of those contest dudes.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2022, 09:09:14 AM »
And then someone reposted this GH patreon video where he claps back at Pappalardo at 24:32

There’s some other good stuff in this vid like

GH’s thoughts on being called racist by Tyshawn

Phelps not liking T-Funk

Nak lobbying against T-Funk for soty bc he said the n word as a teenager

Damn i posted a story here about tfunk screaming the n-word at pedlow like 5 years ago. I hope that wasn't the one that made Nak do that. It also makes me wonder if Nak lurks here, seems unlikely
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2022, 09:15:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This guy was in Ten Yard Fight and In My Eyes and now he thinks he’s a journalist.

I knew this information but it completely escaped me. Not enough people talk about how corny all that east coast 90s straight edge hardcore was.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2022, 09:18:45 AM »
This article is kind of a stretch.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He’s not stereotypically black enough, I think.  Criticize Nyjahs “fits” and you’re good, do the same with tyshawns clown ass apparel, and you might be racist.

You make a decent point, and I'm not disagreeing at all, but I actually think it's still OK to mock what TJ wears because a large portion of the population has eyes that work. And for those who can't see, a brief description of his outfit will most likely elicit a gas face.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
"SOTY and some thoughts of race" no thanks.

I'm sure a bunch of people arrived at the same joke, but I created a "NOT MY SOTY" meme with a very deep sense of irony, more about the reaction from people flipping their lids over who gets a magazine trophy than any vague accusations of racism. If anything, there's a class element at play, but we have no vocabulary for a conversation about class in America so I won't even bother with that. But obviously, the people who were upset, were upset that the other black guy didn't win, so you know, it's not really particularly racist.

I thought the inclusion of that meme was an interesting choice by Pappalardo. I've also seen that image of facebook rednecks with the same "NOT MY SOTY" caption on twitter and IG stories, so the joke was repeated out of context. I understood the image in its original context to have meant, like you said, skaters who were upset by the choice due to the relatively new formula for SOTY, or old heads that are just pissed and care too much. The meme is also in the article, but doesn't seem like there's any explanation as for why its included. Usually when an image is in a piece of writing the author takes a paragraph or two to explain why the image is there.

some thoughts on the article:

The Griner/Bout swap should have had more context to relate to the article. I'm not familiar with this topic, and it would have helped the author's case to provide more context. Some of the claims had me asking "why, who". Same as the Iranian Hostage Crisis. I guess Pappalardo cut out some explanation in favor of brevity since this is about SOTY, but since he's writing with skaters (largely young and uneducated) as an audience that's sort of more reason to include background. The author is making assumptions and neglecting the audience therefore weakening their argument.

I understand the Art comparison in this way. Consider the artwork Kritios boy.This work of art was known for introducing contrapposto, a relaxed natural way of standing that isn't stiff and rigid. Similar statues previously had a rigid style, meaning they stood up straight and stiff. There are numerous examples that lead up to Kritios boy, but Kritios boy was innovative. It's like skating. There is the canon of tricks (illegal/legal). Skaters and skate consumers are connoisseurs( knowledge of what makes a good skater/video). There is a collective agreed upon taste (similar to artists working within the parameters of taste determined by time and location of production/consumption). Skateboarders skate and dress within reason according to this frame of collective understanding, and this performance allows a skater to assimilate into skate media/culture. If one doesn't conform to this taste they're a kook (richie jackson. pirate pants and circus tricks. in reality clothing and trick selection is superficial and meaningless without context or precedence, but within context and the shared frame of understanding it becomes ridiculous and kook shit but it can still be considered the act of skateboarding). Tl;dr art is understood through a shared lens of looking that has been created and understood through repetition. small changes can make a large impact like someone doing a kick flip but down 30 stairs instead of 20 that change this frame of understanding.

I guess the kids versus art students comparison was used to illustrate connoisseurship. of course students have knowledge of precedence, but I think the point he's making is that art, or in this case skateboarding, is as good as the grounds from which it arises? Why does the author not care about awards? They don't really say.

The main argument seems to be addressing accusations that Tyshawn is lazy, which is fair to consider race due to the stereotype that black people are lazy and don't know what they're doing so they need white guidance to do things "correctly". Colonizer ass mentality that extends to indigenous people in America, or anyone with melanin. reading comments here I feel like some of y'all would be the type to deny that micro aggressions exist or understand racism to be only overt actions and comments instead of institutionalized, subconscious, and learned behavior.

as pointed out though, the inclusion of the weck opinion sort of falls flat due to weck vouching for another black man although weck isn't above making racist/sexist comments and has a history of saying dumbass stuff for attention. also who gives a fuck what weck has to say, but I guess a lot of people do since he has a following unfortunately.

some quick thoughts with coffee this morning. i agree about the untapped market for educated skaters. that mostly skateboarding podcast with the Smithsonian employee was pretty good. Although she didn't skate, hearing her talk about skateboarding through a museum perspective was interesting. She also knew some terminology and seemed to know her shit lol cool she was stoked on Gonz too

nothing's been the since same

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Anthony Pappalardo is corny
[close]

Anthony Pappalardo is whack but Anthony Pappalardo definitely isn't.

Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On: Anthony Pappalardo
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2022, 09:48:06 AM »
#NotMyAnthonyPappalardo

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
#NotMyAnthonyPappalardo
Can this guy even switch flip

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2022, 09:58:10 AM »
he definitely wrote that and sat back and said "god damn i am so much smarter than everyone that will read this"

skate twitter

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2022, 10:10:00 AM »
That article was absolute trash. I'm all for thoughtful discourse that tries to dissect and understand different layers of stupid shit like SOTY. But this was entirely incoherent and any arguments in it fall apart with the slightest bit of consideration.

The Brittany Griner connection makes no sense, other than as another instance the author is desperately trying to shoehorn his obsession with race into. And in no way is the Brittany Griner ordeal comparable to the Iran hostage crisis - the scale, impact, or reaction isn't even close. Nobody in 50 years from now is going to be comparing anything to the Brittany Griner crisis of 2022, in obvious contrast to the Iran hostage crisis. It demonstrates the authors total lack of knowledge and context in seemingly anything.

The whole race baiting thing is really hard to backup when 3/4 of the SOTY contenders that are driving this apparently contentious conversation are minorities. Is it racist to think Nyjah, a black dude, didn't win? Is it racist to think Louie, a hispanic, should have won?

And then after waiting the whole article to get to a point, he goes with....."Tyshawn isn't lazy!" Huh!? Literally nobody is making that argument, if anything it's the opposite - some people seem upset that he seems so obsessed achieving his career and monetary goals.

The worst part is this Anthony Poppalardo clearly thinks he's pretty clever with his little skateboard newsletter. But he can neither write worth a damn, nor apparently can he think critically.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

veritas

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2022, 10:44:13 AM »
#NotMyAnthonyPappalardo

I clicked on this thread hoping it was the Pops we love but deep down I knew it was gonna be the writer.

R$S_ONE

• Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
can’t do this

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I knew this information but it completely escaped me. Not enough people talk about how corny all that east coast 90s straight edge hardcore was.

The early to mid 90's east coast straight edge hardcore scene was gimmicky for sure. The exceptions for me personally were Youth of Today, Judge, and Gorilla Biscuits. And I'm not lumping all east coast hardcore into that, specifically the straight edge stuff. 

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2022, 10:50:45 AM »
Expand Quote
And then someone reposted this GH patreon video where he claps back at Pappalardo at 24:32

There’s some other good stuff in this vid like

GH’s thoughts on being called racist by Tyshawn

Phelps not liking T-Funk

Nak lobbying against T-Funk for soty bc he said the n word as a teenager
[close]

Damn i posted a story here about tfunk screaming the n-word at pedlow like 5 years ago. I hope that wasn't the one that made Nak do that. It also makes me wonder if Nak lurks here, seems unlikely

I don’t think they lurk here regularly but people close to them do. Tyshawn was reading comments from a thread one time on his IG Live. I’ve also googled skate related topics or names before and a SLAP thread would be one of the first few search results so that could lead them here as well.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2022, 10:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote
This dork adopted Anthony Pappalardo as a fucking pen name?!
[close]
Nope. He wrote a letter in to one of the first issues of Slap with the same name.
The O.G Pops debate deepens if so.