Author Topic: THE RACE TO SOTY & SOME THOUGHTS ON RACE by Anthony Pappalardo  (Read 11275 times)

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
Re: THE RACE TO SOTY & SOME THOUGHTS ON RACE by Anthony Pappalardo
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2022, 11:00:02 AM »
what a fried take

#NotMyPops

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »
Erntherny Perperlerder

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »
Erntherny Perperlerder

guffawing over here

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »
I do like Pappalardo's writing usually but without a doubt Gifted Hater is making more incisive, more salient, more well constructed points about skateboarding than almost anyone else right now.  i don't care what format it's in, written, video whatever I am 1.5 million times more interested in what GH has to say

it's cool to occasionally see these skate twitter approved thinkpieces just absolutely shit the bed in the face of a Vlogger in a gaming chair who inserts the "bruh" sound effect every two minutes

(or maybe felt there was a strong chance he could monetize his opinion)

And what in the actual fuck was this little side swipe here??? isn't the point of a substack for people to hit the subscribe button? Pappalardew is trying to monetize his opinions too -- i have no idea how he thinks he has any high horse here

EDIT:

and lastly I think I do agree with the general thrust of Tuff Tony's post here: That Tyshawn deserved it, and that it is fundamentally a subjective award that is not strictly merit based (and never has been). For thrasher to give it to the influencer who sells gaming PC's on his instagram and skates in LA Gym bro fits is just unthinkable. But Substack man's positioning against all the blowback and general distaste for any other opinion of who should have won is just really confusing
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 12:09:16 PM by CossRooper »

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2022, 12:11:19 PM »
he managed to successfully weave his way through a pretty solid word count without making any kind of sense.

impressive stuff. the art metaphor was especially crap. 

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2022, 12:41:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just so I am clear, this Anthony Pappalardo is not the Anthony Pappalardo? This dork adopted Anthony Pappalardo as a fucking pen name?!
[close]

This guy was in Ten Yard Fight and In My Eyes and now he thinks he’s a journalist.
[close]

I knew this information but it completely escaped me. Not enough people talk about how corny all that east coast 90s straight edge hardcore was.

No wonder this dude's writing is shit, the amount of brain power in the straight edge hardcore scene makes skateboarders seem like absolute geniuses in comparison... 

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2022, 12:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just so I am clear, this Anthony Pappalardo is not the Anthony Pappalardo? This dork adopted Anthony Pappalardo as a fucking pen name?!
[close]

This guy was in Ten Yard Fight and In My Eyes and now he thinks he’s a journalist.
[close]

I knew this information but it completely escaped me. Not enough people talk about how corny all that east coast 90s straight edge hardcore was.
[close]

No wonder this dude's writing is shit, the amount of brain power in the straight edge hardcore scene makes skateboarders seem like absolute geniuses in comparison...

i made this account well over a decade ago but of all things it is actually a reference to In My Eyes of all bands. somewhere there is a video of them playing and sweet pete screams out in the middle of a song “two words… STRAIGHT FUCKING EDGE!!!” and for some reason i thought that was so funny
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

cutman

• Rep: 16
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2022, 01:29:57 PM »
ah yes, an internet post with solutions to a problem that never existed in the first place. the millennial zeitgeist

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2022, 01:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
he definitely wrote that and sat back and said "god damn i am so much smarter than everyone that will read this"
[close]

skate twitter

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2022, 01:49:06 PM »
Total pen name to garner clout. They should play a game of skate to TM the name in the modern era.

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2022, 02:03:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i made this account well over a decade ago but of all things it is actually a reference to In My Eyes of all bands. somewhere there is a video of them playing and sweet pete screams out in the middle of a song “two words… STRAIGHT FUCKING EDGE!!!” and for some reason i thought that was so funny

Straight edge hardcore was definitely at its corniest in the 90s. It became way more self aware and introspective in the 00s
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2022, 02:07:14 PM »
you’re fried. earth crisis is a thousand times sicker than verse or have heart. if you’re gonna have a goofy rules based lifestyle you need militant music. it’s even weirder when it’s talking about feelings instead of about freeing all the animals in the zoo

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »
those bands definitely suck and earth crisis does not but bands like blank stare or coke bust are more up my alley than either of the aforementioned

definitely going off topic but only vaguely because the moron that wrote this article started one of the bands talked about
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »
coke bust are hella tight. vaccine was cool too

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2022, 02:14:48 PM »
This thread is nothing without vegan reich …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2022, 02:27:16 PM »
you’re fried. earth crisis is a thousand times sicker than verse or have heart. if you’re gonna have a goofy rules based lifestyle you need militant music. it’s even weirder when it’s talking about feelings instead of about freeing all the animals in the zoo

lol no, the emotional hardcore of the 00s was waaayyy more honest than a bunch of goofy kids pretending they're in gangs

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2022, 02:32:44 PM »
why do so many threads on here devolve into arguments about hardcore music? cant we all just agree that hardcore music is the dorkiest of all possible scenes and get back on topic?

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2022, 02:40:23 PM »
Skateboarding is like music. Cool to experience in a recorded medium, but never enjoyable to read about.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2022, 03:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol no, the emotional hardcore of the 00s was waaayyy more honest than a bunch of goofy kids pretending they're in gangs

brother i saw have heart. it was not a fun experience. trust me on this.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

brother i saw have heart. it was not a fun experience. trust me on this.

lol so what? so did i. in a youth center in a country town. they went all out for like 30 people. it was on their last big international tour, they didn't have to go all out like that but they did.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »
I do like Pappalardo's writing usually but without a doubt Gifted Hater is making more incisive, more salient, more well constructed points about skateboarding than almost anyone else right now.  i don't care what format it's in, written, video whatever I am 1.5 million times more interested in what GH has to say

it's cool to occasionally see these skate twitter approved thinkpieces just absolutely shit the bed in the face of a Vlogger in a gaming chair who inserts the "bruh" sound effect every two minutes

Expand Quote
(or maybe felt there was a strong chance he could monetize his opinion)
[close]

And what in the actual fuck was this little side swipe here??? isn't the point of a substack for people to hit the subscribe button? Pappalardew is trying to monetize his opinions too -- i have no idea how he thinks he has any high horse here

EDIT:

and lastly I think I do agree with the general thrust of Tuff Tony's post here: That Tyshawn deserved it, and that it is fundamentally a subjective award that is not strictly merit based (and never has been). For thrasher to give it to the influencer who sells gaming PC's on his instagram and skates in LA Gym bro fits is just unthinkable. But Substack man's positioning against all the blowback and general distaste for any other opinion of who should have won is just really confusing
Don’t forget the NFTs and crypto scams

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2022, 04:39:49 PM »
I don’t think one response agrees with his take.     Making something about race, when it’s clearly not.   Many straight up Nyjah haters feel he should have won.  I kinda think Thrasher degraded their own award by choosing a more contrarian pick.   

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2022, 04:44:58 PM »
some thoughts on race by tony gabagoolianzino

;D

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »
Camo
Cargo
Shorts

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2022, 05:28:19 PM »

That’s my old band ;D
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2022, 05:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s my old band ;D

coke bust OR vaccine?

Michelle Obama

• Rep: 3
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2022, 05:36:00 PM »
I think if Nyjah wants to win something like SOTY has has to take a page outta the tried and true corny Hollywood actor/director page - like Matthew McConaughey doing True Detective, Adam Sandler doing Uncut Gems or Punchdrunk Love or similarly when a director does some Marvel films before going back to their passion projects.
If Nyjah got a stylist (lol) wore some big bois or just dressed like Ishod at least THEN put out a part with a bunch of slow mo NBD's at famous spots (as opposed to hitting stuff only he can mess with) then he could easily take out SOTY.

I don't really care either way but as an aside Leo Romero said it best years ago when he called him the villain of skateboarding wearing those black cape style long tees and everything

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2022, 05:37:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s my old band ;D
[close]

coke bust OR vaccine?

The better side of the split 😘
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2022, 06:24:07 PM »
#NotMyAnthonyPappalardo

What even is Anthony Pappalardo these days

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2022, 06:46:57 PM »
Wait is this fool just reading the slap boards to glean content to create opinion pieces?
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.