Author Topic: THE RACE TO SOTY & SOME THOUGHTS ON RACE by Anthony Pappalardo  (Read 11264 times)

Ride it to dust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: THE RACE TO SOTY & SOME THOUGHTS ON RACE by Anthony Pappalardo
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »
I’m here for the hardcore. Soty is corny kids shit

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2022, 09:45:19 AM »
i had a bunch of hardcore friends in high school and theyre all either hike/mountain bike normies now

This part tracks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cky enthusiast

« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2022, 09:49:20 AM »
mountain biking is core and not normie

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2022, 10:09:55 AM »
mountain biking is core and not normie

I want to believe this but after 12 years in the bicycle industry, I assure you that it's not the case.

Bupstop

• Rep: 33
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2022, 11:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All love for paps.

Smdh, some of y’all have never been in a pit of equality and it shows.

https://youtu.be/8CPWHUYbv1s

https://youtu.be/yY1XBOdEyaQ
[close]

wtf is a pit of equality? all videos of in my eyes seem like it was 99% white kids in the pit

in my eyes were admittedly hella sick though. when i see 00s emotional hardcore earlier in the thread i was more referring to like american nightmare, modern life is war and champion rather than verse
[close]

i saw the bassist from champion get knocked out by an FSU dude the only time they played philly. so much for promises kept lol
[close]

dude is a pedo so he had it coming

Nah that was the singer thats a pedo. The bassist was Andy Norton and he’s a pretty good dude.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2022, 11:14:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All love for paps.

Smdh, some of y’all have never been in a pit of equality and it shows.

https://youtu.be/8CPWHUYbv1s

https://youtu.be/yY1XBOdEyaQ
[close]

wtf is a pit of equality? all videos of in my eyes seem like it was 99% white kids in the pit

in my eyes were admittedly hella sick though. when i see 00s emotional hardcore earlier in the thread i was more referring to like american nightmare, modern life is war and champion rather than verse
[close]

i saw the bassist from champion get knocked out by an FSU dude the only time they played philly. so much for promises kept lol
[close]

dude is a pedo so he had it coming
[close]

Nah that was the singer thats a pedo. The bassist was Andy Norton and he’s a pretty good dude.

ah for some reason it didn't even register with me that you said bassist.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
i can not imagine in any situation why anybody would ever hit andy norton. if you don’t like him you are probably an asshole
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Bupstop

• Rep: 33
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2022, 11:44:12 AM »
i can not imagine in any situation why anybody would ever hit andy norton. if you don’t like him you are probably an asshole

I was thinking the same thing.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2022, 11:44:23 AM »
This could've been a really significant piece of writing about racism revealing itself in the SOTY 2022 race but the Other Pappalardo chose to go with square peg into round hole conflations (5th graders can't make art? Wtf is wrong with this dude?).
It is pretty crazy how SOTY became this sort of sports fan identity thing that skaters get so angry about.
Anyways, anyone calling Tyshawn lazy is a complete dummy.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2022, 12:16:40 PM »
Here is my take on this dissection.

But before we get into that, I’d like to note that Dec 8, when SOTY was announced, GOTY, game of the year, was also announced.
Elden Ring took home the title, winning against God of War: Ragnarok, that had improved gameplay elements compared to the first game of the rebooted serie, such as more boss variety and new styles of play, but presented us with a more comedic tone throughout its tale, possibly as an attempt to avoid fatigue caused by its very lengthy storyline.
The improvements were still not made in vain, since the game won most awards given that day, just not GOTY itself.

Why am I mentioning this? God of War, the first game of the reboot, won Game of the Year in 2018, but didn't achieve a second victory, unlike Tyshawn Jones. And the big takeaway is: the award is racist, because God of War: Ragnarok had a black female love interest (Angrboda), while Elden Ring only had a blue lady (Ranni), who just like Nijah, according to "Pappalardo", isn't black enough.

This is how it felt to read whatever this shit was, I only managed to read half of it and I regret it.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 41
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2022, 12:33:52 PM »

But before we get into that, I’d like to note that Dec 8, when SOTY was announced, GOTY, game of the year, was also announced.
Elden Ring took home the title, winning against God of War: Ragnarok, that had improved gameplay elements compared to the first game of the rebooted serie, such as more boss variety and new styles of play, but presented us with a more comedic tone throughout its tale, possibly as an attempt to avoid fatigue caused by its very lengthy storyline.
The improvements were still not made in vain, since the game won most awards given that day, just not GOTY itself.

Why am I mentioning this? God of War, the first game of the reboot, won Game of the Year in 2018, but didn't achieve a second victory, unlike Tyshawn Jones. And the big takeaway is: the award is racist, because God of War: Ragnarok had a black female love interest (Angrboda), while Elden Ring only had a blue lady (Ranni), who just like Nijah, according to "Pappalardo", isn't black enough.

This is how it felt to read whatever this shit was, I only managed to read half of it and I regret it.
hahahaha would gnar

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hahahaha would Ragnar

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2022, 02:16:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hahahaha would gnar

it's the thought that counts

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2022, 01:14:50 AM »
So many words to say “I’ve interviewed him and think he’s cool, here’s my hot take on modern day skateboarding that I’m grossly disconnected from…”

Racism is in lots of places, but it wasn’t in SOTY discussions this year.

I wish they had’ve given it to Nyjah and just accepted that thrasher and skateboarding are now mainstream as fuck.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

BillFilmingBad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2022, 02:50:36 AM »
when a mf spends too much time on twitter/ig and not the wooden toy

ralf_

• Rep: -32
  • yo
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2022, 03:49:10 AM »
I know y'all having fun out here talking shit and I am neither a tj nor a pappalardo the writer fan but you can be racist and still endorse black people
fun fun fun

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2022, 05:28:33 AM »
I know y'all having fun out here talking shit and I am neither a tj nor a pappalardo the writer fan but you can be racist and still endorse black people

It's true, which I admit contradicts my earlier point. There have always been certain types of black people deemed "acceptable". Whether or not Tyshawn or Nyjah is this type of black person would have been more worthy of consideration, but I think a man with the last name of "Pappalardo" is probably not the best person to be contemplating black men's worthiness.

Reminds me of this classic Onion headline.
https://www.theonion.com/will-smith-the-black-man-everyone-at-work-can-agree-on-1819586690

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2022, 09:43:06 AM »
Some racist people will jump on Thrashers obvious bad choice here to dunk on a black man. It’s still a bad choice by Thrasher. Same way it’s still a bad choice by FA to turn Beatrice pro. If America weren’t so racist we could talk about these things without appearing to be on the side of racists, which honestly I’d rather not be agreeing with them even if it’s for different reasons

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2022, 10:29:52 AM »
Is this the one that was on aws?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2022, 10:38:30 AM »
I have questions:

Who the fuck is this guy actually? Why does anyone, especially @Punished Skateboards in this case, read and/or post what he writes? Should we really care about his opinion? Should we all start posting random peoples opinions? No idea what my mum thinks about SOTY, but I could ask if you guys want that

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »
I have questions:

Who the fuck is this guy actually? Why does anyone, especially @Punished Skateboards in this case, read and/or post what he writes? Should we really care about his opinion? Should we all start posting random peoples opinions? No idea what my mum thinks about SOTY, but I could ask if you guys want that

He played bass in In My Eyes.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2022, 11:20:46 AM »
I have questions:

Thank you for asking.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2022, 02:03:56 PM »
Fake Pappalardo is the type of person who tells everyone he's leaving Twitter on Twitter and then comes back a week later.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2022, 10:24:15 PM »

perfect. gnarred