Author Topic: What's the most offensive gear you've ever ran?  (Read 6981 times)

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: What's the most offensive gear you've ever ran?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2022, 02:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
D32001
All over print Es shirts
Hubba wheels
Super tight Kr3w pants with puffy blue and white leather Etnies Arto's
Leather Jacket or a blazer without a shirt underneath is probably the worst...
[close]

gnar'd for honesty
That Greco phase was a hell of a drug…

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2022, 02:48:47 PM »
bootleg lv griptape at 20 years old
sometimes i play too much
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2022, 03:11:48 PM »

When i was like 10 i bought Country Grammer from WalMart

other than that i never rode any wacky wheels or grip tape, i do have 2 sasha daley elements i got for ridiculously cheap that im planning on skating eventually
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:27:17 PM by Not me »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2022, 03:27:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Filmed my favorite line back in high school on 7.5” Royals wearing puffy Adios and most likely a Bright Eyes shirt (footage has unfortunately been lost at this point)
[close]

a vibe

It was something

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2022, 04:29:45 PM »
I own multiple fallen cobra hoodies. I’m 38. I’m not ashamed, but I realize most of you probably are, haha.

I’m also not scared to rock shake junt griptape. Although it’s usually mob or Jessup these days, sometimes I paint on it, sometimes I don’t.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2022, 04:49:53 PM »
Big Boys

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2022, 07:22:47 PM »
A set of Frankensteined trucks

Destructo hangers in Tensor base plates with the slider piece.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
My first pro deck was pretty awful looking. A skull skates Hosoi with neon green variflex wheels and a mix of thunder and variflex trucks with some clear grip scraps.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2022, 07:52:13 PM »
I’m guilty of some heinous griptape.

Star Wars battle of hoth grip

Clear grip tape with random stickers underneath that I found as a kid.

Ripped skinny jeans that I bought pre ripped for some reason.

World industries shoes

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2022, 10:55:58 PM »
In the BPSW era I had a fit that consisted of green T Bags baggies, a large floral allover print T Bags longsleeve (alternatively a Cypress Hill longsleeve) and a green Hangers beanie. Combined with puffy shoes filled to the brim with socks to make them puffier. Luckily there is no photographic evidence but I must have looked like a clown.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2022, 11:20:35 PM »
i used to run an absolutely garish DGK ALL DAY tee i thrifted in a semi-ironic fashion for a spell in my mid 20s. it gave me pause when a juggalo type dude complimented it when i was skating flat in a parking lot one day.

jeans with slits cut at the bottom like jamie thomas.

had a supreme camp cap phase, but who didn’t.

all the terrible kr3w and brixton slim stretch chinos i wore at a point. skinny/slim stuff in general.

i skated one set of krux and they were fine. i’d skate a pair of non-graphic/plain krux over ventures any day.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2022, 12:00:08 AM »
In 1997 the shop I skated for did a dukes of hazard themed shirt which was of course bright orange and featured the shop name spelled out in the shape of a confederate flag. I ran mine in xxl with the fitted maple hat I had been given as part of my "package" turned to the side. In my mind I looked like Joey Suriel.

That, or the bootleg Bob Marley tshirt with him smoking a blunt that I wore the year after, with a crochet tam holding my silky smooth hair back like a giant hakysack. By then I wanted to be one of the Matts (field, pailes, rodriguez, reason).

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2022, 01:07:17 AM »
Clear shake junt on a fluro pink Lucero Madrid reissue. What the fuck was I thinking. It was signed and numbered too.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2022, 02:20:23 AM »
skatemental show me your tits griptape, in my defence it was a hand me down but even still that shit was atrocious

A set of Frankensteined trucks

Destructo hangers in Tensor base plates with the slider piece.

i did the reverse and had gold destructo baseplates with green tensor hangers. kinda bonkers to think of the type of setups i would skate when i was young and broke, i remember snapping a board mid session and my friend had a spare cliche that was a mini board (i think 7.25x28?) and i just ran with that for a few weeks lmao.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2022, 07:21:31 AM »
Goddamnit.
I’ll preface by saying that I skated from 1st to 4th grad: (2 years really, but had a board during that time), quit, and then started again when I was 16ish.
I do not regret any of the silly trends I took part in when I was a child (mismatched rector pads/gloves, swapped with neighbor, copers, tail bones etc).
After that start, it is no wonder I shamelessly hopped on every trend going forward. It sucks because I started strong, thanks to 411 volume 6, and then just progressively got more and more disgusting.
Not skating, or skating very sporadically due to drugs and alcohol, unchecked mental illness, and then eventually rehab, led to some truly terrible clothing choices. Skate adjacent, but very age inappropriate. Like krew chords, faux leather jacket with the fur, new era flat brim with the sticker, hearting haters. Shoelace. Fine if you were 13 ish and just zombieing thru the mall, very disturbing that I, as a nearing 30 year old, thought that was in any world ok. Hearting my haters.
No diamond sweatshirt or t shirt was off limits.
Iron Maiden skate HI’s? Why not.

As to boards and what not…I mean fuck. I had a lib tech with color matched tensors and red wheels. Welcome board.
I rode my trucks rattle loose (unforgivable).
Rode really wide boards. Rode trucks way wider than the board. Wheels too small. Wheels too big. No trend I did not try.

And just for clarity, most of the truly terrible choices were made when I was just straight up old, and newly sober.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2022, 08:16:25 AM »
i had the grind kings with the flames on them

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »
at one point i had a black dipped Real deck, florecent yellow Spitfire wheels and to top it off red Orion trucks.
also had a pair of bootleg Osiris D3's

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2022, 09:44:41 AM »
I had a tail devil AND grind king rims on the same setup in 6th grade.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2022, 10:00:51 AM »
I don't regret anything I skated or wore. In the time and place, that shit was cool lol.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2022, 10:52:28 AM »
I don't regret anything I skated or wore. In the time and place, that shit was cool lol.

+1

As long as you skated it/ripped on it, it's all good.

My highest ever impossibles over knee high obstacles was on a 7.75 black zero Lopez (his classic graphic), with black tensors (with sliders) and black dark star wheels.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:58:59 PM by Xen »

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
Good thread. Here's what I can remember from back in the day (early 2000s).

- XXL T-shirts as a 5 ft. tall 11 year old. I know everybody did it, but that look is just atrocious. The worst one was a grey T with a huge Bones logo print that legit went over my knees. Strong AJ Soprano vibes, but my hairdo was even worse:

- Bleached blond hair, but I was too awkward to get it done in a salon and had my mom do it, who missed a big spot on the back of my head. I have no idea why I didn't get bullied for that.

- Had a very tough phase around 14 when I looked like long-haired Jamie Thomas and OG Corey Duffel had a love child. Ripped skinny jeans, skin tight T-shirts, bandanas, leather & jean jackets... Ambitious look to pull off if you top out at five stairs and flatbars.

- Rode a Zero board with half neon pink, half neon green semi-transparent grip around that time. Sharpied some inspirational stuff on there for good measure.

Found a pic:

- Skated the Silver trucks that had the little thingies to protect the axle threads for a good while. Mine were baby blue. I think I had them on a board with camo graphics for at least 4 months, that was an especially bad combo. I skated tiiiiight trucks as a kid, so the color might be more offensive than them being Silvers. I would've tictac'd on Aces if they'd been a thing back then.

I probably have a lot more if I think about it but that's it for now. Good trip down memory lane.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • the moon rules
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »
I borrowed a pair of leather Krew pants and Gravis Dylan boots from one of my roommates for a night of drinking and doing coke once. A look that could only be pulled off in 2011

I’ve also been skating for 25 years. There’s been a lot of things that I’ve done/skated/worn that are questionable in retrospect but we’re appropriate for the time. A Lib Tech slick, Phantom 2’s, slider plate Tensors, Bones Wheels, a couple Blind decks, Globes, tight cargo pants, etc.
fuck you bama

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2022, 01:34:18 PM »
Wait…I forgot that I skated a Libtech deck with those purple Titan Ti Lite trucks. Axle slipped on two sets in a row. Awful all around.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2022, 01:38:27 PM »
I copped a pair of the d3 re issues a few years ago when I was rollin in unemployment- grey and yellow , they were actually pretty fun to skate in but I was getting to many looks/ comments at the skatepark sold them on Depop for more then I bought em for to some non skater lol

When I was younger I had this huge shake junt shirt that said “kill yo self” huge on the front - I’d always wear it to middle school haha

Around that same time I had a set up of a zombie girl creature board - party pack wheels , green Ellington thunders and clear grip with some shit drawings I did underneath haha - I’d love to get a set up that insane goin again tbh
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2022, 02:17:16 PM »
I owned like 10 different pairs of Huf weed socks in highschool, wore high water Dickie’s too so everyone could see I smoked big doinks in amish.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2022, 04:11:29 PM »
Like 7 years ago I rocked the full lightweight dwindle set up with tensor mags and impact boards. I also wore whatever the fuck I wanted including slim pants which upon reflection we’re out of style by then. I was in my late 20’s and didn’t need anyones acceptance Now in my 30’s I skate aces and bbs wood while wearing dickies and a beanie. Not sure if I’m bigger kook now for being a conformist/normie.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2022, 05:20:28 PM »
Most of it, probably. I’ve rocked grindkings (because I couldn’t get wide truck where I was in the under-8-inch years), wore discount girls DCs, rode shaped boards on and off through the 2000s, always had a grip-tape design, and a bunch of other stuff.

But in the end, I don’t regret it at all, because it was fun, and in the end, the subjective memories of your skateboarding experience is ALL you ever have, not someone else’s ideas about how cool or kooky you are.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2022, 05:40:43 PM »
I survived being a goofyboi in the BPSW era but despite the ridiculous clothes my most offensive gear was a set of red Trackers with the plastic baseplates. I broke them on an ollie down a 2 stair. I'll never forgive Ken from ZT Maximus for talking me into buying them instead of Indys or Thunders.

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2022, 06:22:21 PM »
Had the giant pants and XXL t-shirts in the BPSW era...which looking back was ridiculous but its what we wore so that's just something to laugh off...but before that I was all about thrash/speed metal and wore a fucking "Slaytanic Wehrmacht" shirt. Terrible. Truly offensive in the purest sense of the word.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

cky enthusiast

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2022, 08:26:39 PM »
i would wear a slaytanic wehrmacht shirt right now dude what do you mean