Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 47673 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2023, 02:55:13 PM »
If I was Ben, I would have asked about the advantages of making boards that are square as fuck with shoddy craftmanship. Schmidt can talk all the science he wants, the inconsistency of PS Stix manufacturing nowadays is nothing to be proud of

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's kind of insane that Paul clearly knows what he's talking about, but the quality of PS decks tell a different story.

Also saying that epoxy is inferior to wood glue because it's harder so it breaks easier was worded so weirdly and something I don't fully agree with (although someone with more woodworking experience can chime in). I understand that he means that wood glue will let the deck flex during impact while epoxy won't, but I've had way better experiences on NHS decks (uses epoxy) than PS Stix decks in terms of durability.

Also respirator being worn incorrectly at 24:45

OSHA's going to have a heart attack when they see this video :v
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:16:34 PM by yourbreakfsat »

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2023, 04:16:45 PM »
How about wood glue mid board, epoxy nose and tail?  Call it something snazzy like Glass Assed with a Pop Dat Ass catch phrase and this song as the theme

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2023, 04:14:31 PM »
How about wood glue mid board, epoxy nose and tail?  Call it something snazzy like Glass Assed with a Pop Dat Ass catch phrase and this song as the theme

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2023, 04:52:10 PM »
Expand Quote
If I was Ben, I would have asked about the advantages of making boards that are square as fuck with shoddy craftmanship. Schmidt can talk all the science he wants, the inconsistency of PS Stix manufacturing nowadays is nothing to be proud of
[close]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's kind of insane that Paul clearly knows what he's talking about, but the quality of PS decks tell a different story.

Also saying that epoxy is inferior to wood glue because it's harder so it breaks easier was worded so weirdly and something I don't fully agree with (although someone with more woodworking experience can chime in). I understand that he means that wood glue will let the deck flex during impact while epoxy won't, but I've had way better experiences on NHS decks (uses epoxy) than PS Stix decks in terms of durability.

They’re in Mexico. OSHA doesn’t give a shit.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2023, 05:00:17 PM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2023, 06:54:45 PM »
Schmitt used to be more tolerable. I think his persona has gone to his head he really thinks he’s some kind of wood guru. Most of the PS decks I’ve ever had are just sponges after a week.
He does have a pretty good rant on his insta about skatepark designers not taking sun into account when they build skateparks. Leaving deep bowls in half sun/ half shadow.  Sort of grumpy old man shit, but he does have a point.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2023, 07:19:45 PM »
Gotta know if the front door to PS Sticks was a push or pull door and if Ben was able to understand this. I feel like we’re purposely being left in the dark.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2023, 08:18:48 PM »
Gotta know if the front door to PS Sticks was a push or pull door and if Ben was able to understand this. I feel like we’re purposely being left in the dark.

Funny I thought something similar but not everyone is a dirty ghetto kid and SW looked high as a kite from the second he stepped out of the vehicle.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2023, 08:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny I thought something similar but not everyone is a dirty ghetto kid and SW looked high as a kite from the second he stepped out of the vehicle.

Filmer too, shooting the entire video in portrait. The GM / tour guide had so much trouble keeping Stevie's attention throughout the tour of the factory.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2023, 08:30:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True true. In this instance I guess not everyone is a DGK and the k is for konnoisseur of dumb moments in skateboarding history. 
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »

Finally getting round to watching the Ben DG and Prof Schmitt video and I did make it through in one go, but I wanted to exit a few times.

What is interesting at about 14:00 when they are talking about mental happiness, Ben says "If a board has the wrong shape, even if I can skate good on it, I don't like skating on it, same with a bad graphic" which is so very true.

Another thing. Ben says he never takes the warning sticker off before he grips it...

Reminds me of others also commenting disbelief when he says he never keeps any of the stickers that come with boards.

Each to their own, I guess.

I always remove all traces of warning or other stickers on any decks before I grip them and either hoard or give away all the stickers or other packaging that come with any skate product.

I am a bit special like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2023, 03:31:37 AM »
Schmitt used to be more tolerable. I think his persona has gone to his head he really thinks he’s some kind of wood guru. Most of the PS decks I’ve ever had are just sponges after a week.
He does have a pretty good rant on his insta about skatepark designers not taking sun into account when they build skateparks. Leaving deep bowls in half sun/ half shadow.  Sort of grumpy old man shit, but he does have a point.
did he ever even skate?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 607
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2023, 04:16:39 AM »
yes, he has clips on his instagram

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2023, 06:58:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
did he ever even skate?

He still does it seems.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnsz232INCw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2023, 07:22:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
did he ever even skate?
[close]

He still does it seems.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnsz232INCw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
oh damn, i thought he maybe skated back in the 70’s or something but that was better than most guys his age

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2023, 07:29:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
did he ever even skate?

Yes, for a long time

https://youtu.be/icoaewZMAfA?t=372

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2023, 07:12:23 AM »
One of the most dad things I've watched in a while :v

Also: (premiere at 10am PST at the time of this post)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2023, 06:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's not super straightforward and both wood glue and epoxy work fine. It really depends on what type of epoxy is used and what type of wood glue.

Epoxy fills gaps a tad better, which should matter with a skateboard, is really strong, and tends to have high sheer strength. In some niche woodworking applications some people find that it can tend to crack during twisting or really rapid applications of strength. I had something crack at the glue line once, but it's not a common problem. The advantage is it can cure faster and often times needs less clamping force.

A lot of people use it when the glue might be exposed because you can dye it to match a color and it finishes nicer.

Wood glue can be stronger depending on the glue, way it cured, and clamping force. It can resist twisting slightly better in some applications. Personally speaking I've been unable to break anything I've wood glued.

In the end it doesn't matter much for a skateboard. My guess is that boards made with epoxy take less time to produce since they can cure faster and need less time in a press. Probably helps the Chinese companies mass produce things easier.

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2023, 01:21:27 PM »
almost every nine club video has a comment requesting ben on. since ben’s in america they should jump at that opportunity

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2023, 05:54:56 PM »
They've already hitched their trailer pretty hard onto &&......they can only dip so far into youtubery......

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2023, 02:51:56 AM »
almost every nine club video has a comment requesting ben on. since ben’s in america they should jump at that opportunity

I think he's been back for a little bit now. He talks about the difference between Cali and Canada in one of his friends youtube videos posted 4 days ago: https://youtu.be/px9LWGGR0tw?t=466

Ben the wax bandit. It's definitely accurate though from my experiences.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2023, 05:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think he's been back for a little bit now. He talks about the difference between Cali and Canada in one of his friends youtube videos posted 4 days ago: https://youtu.be/px9LWGGR0tw?t=466

He steals wax? Damn son.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2023, 09:19:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He steals wax? Damn son.

And on camera no less. Ben don't give a fuck.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2023, 01:45:27 PM »
Honestly, every skateboard deck maker should be in the business of stacking their blems together to be sold as an "upcycled" wood product.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2023, 02:12:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He steals wax? Damn son.

Just because he stole our hearts he thinks its okay to steal our wax... come on Ben... get it together.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

urban purple

• Rep: 8
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2023, 08:26:34 AM »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #266 on: March 04, 2023, 08:45:15 AM »
Lol ^^
"Professor Schmitt's anal..."

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2023, 07:52:55 PM »
Feel like Ben (a literal carpenter) tried to interject a few logical thoughts about his setup and got shut down by the Nutty Professor rambling on with his pseudoscience nonsense a few times during this.  Was a little awkward to watch.    BBS please.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2023, 08:06:57 PM »
Feel like Ben (a literal carpenter) tried to interject a few logical thoughts about his setup and got shut down by the Nutty Professor rambling on with his pseudoscience nonsense a few times during this.  Was a little awkward to watch.    BBS please.

Agreed, ps never shuts up and whenever ben interjected he would always give some half ass wave off response before he kept talking.

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2023, 08:14:58 PM »
ps giving off mad neal degrasse tyson vibes