Author Topic: Filmed Tricks That You Saw Go Down  (Read 2027 times)

Eastcoastghostiii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Filmed Tricks That You Saw Go Down
« on: December 19, 2022, 03:02:09 PM »
I want to hear some stories about tricks from videos that you saw go down. Did you witness it by happenstance? What was the vibe? Were you told to leave so they could concentrate or so that it could be filmed a certain way?

Hollywood High seems to have a lot of spectators with all of the foot traffic...

work_lurker

• Rep: 70
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
Re: Filmed Tricks That You Saw Go Down
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »
I was at El Toro the day Jaws tuckneed it for one of the Happy Mediums. Derek Tracy was trying his early grab down it and proceeded to snap 3 freshies back-to-back, doing full splits each time and just obliterating himself. Jaws ollied it first or 2nd try, and since Derek was still trying to get his trick, he threw out a tucknee and got it within 3 or so tries. I'm actually in the background of the clip, me and my homies are all sitting on a ledge. Coincidentally, I used to get mistaken for Jaws ALOT for a period of time. Surprisingly, none of his homies acknowledged it there at El Toro, but my friends were cracking up.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

SaltyDog

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 04:37:53 PM »
I was at love when wenning switch back 180d the love gap

fun stuff

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 04:46:11 PM »
Not about to dox myself, next thing you’ll be puttin my PJ flight log on blast

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 04:50:20 PM »
I was at Flushing Meadows when AVE , Kalis and Dyrdek were filming for the DC Video, I watched AVE switch crook the ledge over the grate, and Dyrdek smith grind it. I was trying to noseslide it with them , and Dyrdek gave me some inspirational words and I ended up landing the noseslide before he landed the Smith.

there's a couple of B-roll clips from that day in the DC video with Ryan Gee there chilling.

I watched Wenning attempt sw fs 180 over the love gap one day, this musta been a few weeks after the sw bs 180 , he never got it though .

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 04:50:37 PM »
John Igea - Switch inward heelflip over the pier block.

Marcus McBride - Switch kickflip manual 3 up 3 down.

Vibe for these two were, something sick is going down, stay out the way. But, not a hostile vibe or anything like that.

Danny Montoya - Nollie backside noseblunt on the Market Street low to high ledge. Just passing by on the bus at the perfect time. I had seen him trying it before going by on the bus and got off and watched the sesh for a few tries from across the street. Could not believe I happened to pass by on another day and see a make go down.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 05:07:34 PM »
I was at El Toro the day Jaws tuckneed it for one of the Happy Mediums. Derek Tracy was trying his early grab down it and proceeded to snap 3 freshies back-to-back, doing full splits each time and just obliterating himself. Jaws ollied it first or 2nd try, and since Derek was still trying to get his trick, he threw out a tucknee and got it within 3 or so tries. I'm actually in the background of the clip, me and my homies are all sitting on a ledge. Coincidentally, I used to get mistaken for Jaws ALOT for a period of time. Surprisingly, none of his homies acknowledged it there at El Toro, but my friends were cracking up.

is there other stuff to skate there? i guess i know there's the 2 stair area up top where Dan Pageau does that notoriously awful switch flip up in his line then absolutely fucking eats it down the 20... anyways just wondering why one would be just casually chilling there lol (i'm assuming you weren't hucking the 20 but maybe you were!)

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 06:52:07 PM »
I was skating the LA Home Depot spot by myself one morning when Guy Mariano showed up with Ryan Flynn. They shot this wallie to backside overcrook within a short amount of time and it ran in that Thrasher article about pros and why they got sober. It was just the three of us there that day

fuck you bama

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 07:37:34 PM »
I was at Flushing Meadows when AVE , Kalis and Dyrdek were filming for the DC Video, I watched AVE switch crook the ledge over the grate, and Dyrdek smith grind it. I was trying to noseslide it with them , and Dyrdek gave me some inspirational words and I ended up landing the noseslide before he landed the Smith.

Think you mentioned that in a previous post, you said Dyrdek was hyped on you landing the noseslide and gave you props after.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cky enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 07:53:17 PM »
I was at love when wenning switch back 180d the love gap

fun stuff

i was also there in child form

MarshGarvey

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 08:41:49 PM »
I was walking by on the sidewalk outside the fence when Zack Wallin nollie 108'd Wallenberg.
Just in time to see him land it and have everyone run up with his pro deck. It was so sick.
In one of the longer clips you can see me creepin' in the background.

Weird that he's of now, come to think of it.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 10:46:50 PM »
I was at Faelledparken in CPH in 95 when Penny did the switch flip to fakie behind that tree on the steep bank that‘s in Menikmati.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 11:40:07 PM »
This whole thing

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 12:01:14 AM »
I saw Stevie crook up the out ledge at macba in parental advisory.

Fuck that trip was amazing.

My then girlfriend now wife asked me why when I do tricks are they never as high as that guy haha.. I had to explain he skates for a living and I work in plumbing supplies haha.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 03:12:16 AM »
Was with Herman when he 50ed wilshire 15 at the end of some montage in 16 Below. At the time it was his biggest rail and he nailed it first try, the weekend before he backlipped the 10 not too long after learning them on skatepark rails.

Countless tricks and lines from Chaffee that made
It into 411s and Digital videos.

Many moves from That’s Life mainly Leo, Matt Allen, and Tony Silva.

Appleyard nollie flip then nollie front board Beverley high in Sorry. He nailed that first try with myself Herman, Allen, and other Pharmacy heads in the background.

Justin Eldridge switch flip salad grind LA High.. yeah, I witnessed that. Went there solo, skated around the corner and he was locking into them. People watching were saying it was switch. Months later Yeah Right came out and he was the hot shit for a second.

Adam Dyet at the same rail front board kickflip out in his Think part. It was his first time coming to CA and we were skating it at around midnight which in hindsight not a good idea around that neighborhood. He was trying other tricks and asking did someone do that? I had to say, “yes, Marc Johnson just front boarded 270 out that in Yeah Right” He was like OK and did that trick which at the time I never saw before let alone on a handrail.

Lived next to this bump which I skated everyday in HB. One day I come out and Curren and Luan had a bench there. I asked if I could skate it and they were OK. Then a couple of cars pulled up and Appleyard, Mapstone, some photographer popped out. Everyone was cool with me except the photographer, I could tell he didn’t like me but when am I gonna ever skate another bump to perfect slippery bench again? Anyways it’s where Luan 360 flip noseslides a table then does a trick over a
hydrant he did it in a handfull of tries. It’s one of his first lines in Extremely Sorry.

Tom K’s first zero ad at the HB hubba on the beach. Was riding my bike before work and happened upon it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 03:25:19 AM »

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 05:25:10 AM »
saw the Enjoi team in NJ. they did a demo at Sayreville skatepark. me and a couple friends left as they were about to do the product toss. there's a loading dock ledge across the street at a school (I think?). we were trying to film a couple things, then they rolled up. I think clark hasslar (nose grind 180) and Jose rojo (smith) were the only 2 to get tricks...? i have a shit memory and haven't seen bag of suck in a while. we skated with them for a bit, but they were getting close so we just sat and watched. all very nice guys. caswell is the man, and fucking hilarious.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 05:26:47 AM »
So, do I have tell storylines behind the tricks I’ve seen go down? Or can I just make a list with my favorite ones with just a little bit of context? Here’s one to start with…

1. Mike carrol’s last line in his “yeah right” video part. I’ve never seen anyone skate that fast while filming a line, shit, it wasn’t just fast for filming a line,. He was hauling ass at hill bombing speed rates, especially when he did the frontside feeble on the flatbar at the beginning of the line. The footage doesn’t give it the credit.  it deserves for just how fast he was skating.. I’ll try to post other shit I saw in person later. But that line is probably number 1 of all the things I’ve seen go down and I’ve seen quite a lot of crazy shit go down
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 05:45:01 AM by JRF »
//////////

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 05:45:10 AM »
Louie Lopez blunt to gap at a spot in his most recent Cons part. I just happened to be driving by when it was going down.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 06:10:31 AM »
Two, that I will always remember are Busenitz and Shuriken. I try to find the video clips for them.

Shuriken was at the Kulturforum, his line was a Heelflip over that huge marble block, Inward Heel, quick shuv and then ollie into the lower bank next to the double set. He was also the first guy i saw doing Inward Heelflips in real life. The line didn't take too long for him, I think 30 minutes. Such a rad dude and made me a lifetime fan.
It's in this part at 2:29

Busenitz was at Frankfurter Tor with I think the Adidas guys. I fanned out super hard since Busenitz has always been one of my faves. He was really friendly and we chatted a lil bit about Metallica and Bratwurst ^^
That trick he did is the craziest shit I ever saw in real life, I was speechless when he rolled away, jaws on the floor. Also didn't take him too long. And yes, he was insanely fast. He rolled back after the trick, smiled and sat down to chill. It's in here at 2:35

The clip didn't do the trick justice for how insane it is. The gap is still there but the rail is gone. The gap is still pretty hard and weird to skate (at least for me).
IG: @flowterspace

doublesteveburger

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 06:12:39 AM »
i witnessed corey duffel shoot a blowdart into my older brother's friends' bare ass that's seen in the credits of 'destroy everything now', i was probably 12 or 13

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 06:41:20 AM »
Saw Tom Knox and Jacob Harris filming a line at black rock for the Atlantic drift sf video. Would have been cool to see the infamous triple fakie flip around the corner down California but I had to catch a train.

Also saw Delfino try something at china banks - maybe hurricane? But I think Cody Chapman ended up doing that trick, anyway Pedro’s board went over the edge and hit the Chinese checkers guys and they were all pissed, they wouldn’t give the board back, I tried giving them $13 dollars ( all the cash I had) for it back but they said they wanted 20 and wouldn’t budge, Pedro was visibly frustrated but kept his cool - not sure if they ever got the board back because I went back to work.

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2022, 06:49:42 AM »
Vinnie Ponte's Love fountain ollie after the Sub Zero contest. 

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2022, 07:05:36 AM »
A couple weeks ago I witnessed tyshawn trick thrasher into giving him a second SOTY.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2022, 07:24:27 AM »

Is that you @ 1:32 with the black beanie and plaid shirt?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 07:39:50 AM »
Tom Asta switch front heel Love Gap

Ishod switch front big spin Love Gap

Stevie’s first line at Love in the DC video (switch pop shuv revert)

Kareem Campbell backside 180 over the pyramid in Underachievers

Jason Dill nollie 180 switch 5-0 in Underachievers

Bryan O’Dwyer Thrasher cover at Muni

Yaje’s first line in Mulhern’s Untitled 004(?)

Most of Mulhern’s Untitled series for that matter

A few lines in This Time Tomorrow

A good amount of all the Sabotage videos

Kalis tre flip off the bump to can at Love

Jimmy Gorecki nollie backside nosegrind line at Love in Ryde or Die vol 1

Suciu switch back 50-50 at Dime Glory Challenge
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 07:47:33 AM »

Steve Olsons ender in Guilty.  Hands down the craziest trick I've seen in person.  Not only the makes, but the misses.  He would tightrope walk down the rail every time he missed.  Not only that, he pretty much focused his back on the last kink of the rail.  He was down, we all thought he was possibly paralyzed.  Then, I shit you not, he puts his hands together in a prayer like motion, starts kind of moving around in a circle on the ground, pops up to his feet, waxes his board and lands it next try.  We were in total shock.  Later I asked him what exactly happened back there with the slam and he casually replies, "I just had to heal myself."  They don't call him the crazy monk for no reason....

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 10:09:35 AM »
I was stuck in traffic when rowan was trying the boardslide at around the 2:00 mark. I dont think i actually saw the land though.

edit: its the trick in the thumbnail too lol
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 10:37:59 AM by jerrygurneyscream »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »

Steve Olsons ender in Guilty.  Hands down the craziest trick I've seen in person.  Not only the makes, but the misses.  He would tightrope walk down the rail every time he missed.  Not only that, he pretty much focused his back on the last kink of the rail.  He was down, we all thought he was possibly paralyzed.  Then, I shit you not, he puts his hands together in a prayer like motion, starts kind of moving around in a circle on the ground, pops up to his feet, waxes his board and lands it next try.  We were in total shock.  Later I asked him what exactly happened back there with the slam and he casually replies, "I just had to heal myself."  They don't call him the crazy monk for no reason....

i enjoy this story. Olson slays

carlwinslow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 10:13:32 AM »
A couple weeks ago I witnessed tyshawn trick thrasher into giving him a second SOTY.
totally normal comment!