Author Topic: Why is Stussy really popular at the moment?  (Read 8888 times)

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 124
Why is Stussy really popular at the moment?
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:48:41 AM »
Walked past some of the skate-adjacent clothng brand shops in London this afternoon. School holidays and lots of tourists about.

At Palace: no queue, at Supreme: 10 people queuing, at Stussy over 50 queuing to get in to buy whatever it is they want to buy.

Never seen it that busy before. Is there some reason this old person doesn't know about for why the young people are flocking to Stussy? Is it down to Lance Mountain skating to Lush in the latest video?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
Re: Why is Stussy really popular at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 11:03:41 AM »
they just dropped a collab with nike, air penny II and i think that was fairly hyped, other than that i don't know.
https://www.stussy.com/blogs/features/stussy-nike-air-penny-2

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 11:04:31 AM »
they just dropped a collab with nike, air penny II and i think that was fairly hyped, other than that i don't know.
https://www.stussy.com/blogs/features/stussy-nike-air-penny-2

Good quality clothes.

Also really want those Penny’s.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 11:05:40 AM »
If I had to guess, I would say its because Stussy is a more cost effective option when compared to Supreme. More bang for your buck. They get extra points from me for using Lush in their video.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
No idea but its probably just instagram or tik tok or something nothing to do with skating

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 11:07:52 AM »
It’s gotta be the name, not since Jart has a brand name gotten me as hyped just seeing it as Stussy.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »
No idea but its probably just instagram or tik tok or something nothing to do with skating

Probably because of Doc Martin, One World Tribe other collabs. Stussys always been cool and will always have something to do with skating. It’s a lifestyle brand

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

fernando the skater

• Rep: 124
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 11:19:12 AM »
If I had to guess, I would say its because Stussy is a more cost effective option when compared to Supreme. More bang for your buck. They get extra points from me for using Lush in their video.

In the UK, at least, they're about the same, and the non-drop t-shirts are cheaper at Supreme.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »
I dunno but every time I hear or see the name Stussy I think about those ads in Thrasher from 1987 asap.
specifically these 3

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
I dunno but every time I hear or see the name Stussy I think about those ads in Thrasher from 1987 asap.
specifically these 3

Pretty sure there was a black and white ad with HUF skating a rail or stairs back in the day that’s always left an impression on me.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 11:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
specifically these 3

[close]

Pretty sure there was a black and white ad with HUF skating a rail or stairs back in the day that’s always left an impression on me.

I don't recall that one, but I do remember an old photo where he had a "Stupid" shirt on w the Stussy font.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 12:25:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
specifically these 3

[close]

[close]

I don't recall that one, but I do remember an old photo where he had a "Stupid" shirt on w the Stussy font.

Yeah that was probably it then, used to have it in my wall. Looking at it always inspired me.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:55:21 AM by KGB »

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 12:34:06 PM »
Its price point compared to the other brands gives it a edge in the "Cost of living crisis" UK right now + its a street wear classic since the 80s.
And their team was stacked back in the day

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
Big streetwear resurgance over the past couple years with good product and graphics. Their 8 Ball sherpa that was released recently is a pretty hyped up piece right now.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 01:13:54 PM »
Stussy has been around long enough now to come into, and out of, vogue several times. They've proven that they have the staying power to stick it out during the years of not being trendy. I'm a fan while not wanting to own any of their clothing.

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 01:30:34 PM »
Big streetwear resurgance over the past couple years with good product and graphics. Their 8 Ball sherpa that was released recently is a pretty hyped up piece right now.

📠

Generally, they've stepped it up gradually over the last 5 yrs or so. Stussy was pretty big around the mid-late 2000s and but eventually ended up in stores like Zumiez. So they had some rebuilding to do. That was also right around the nike sb dunk craze. Stussy was tied in with that and that neopolitan ice cream dunk Stussy did for SB had a resurgence in hype.

Other likely factors to the current hype:
- getting cosigns on certain moodboard social media accounts (like hiddenny for instance) goes a long way. Having a product featured on big a moodboard accounts pontential to make  a piece go viral. A lot of current trends are the result of copy/pasting outfits from IG / TikTok, and Stussy is in that realm at the moment.
- collabs with luxury fashion
- giving young creatives roles in creative direction
- Stussy brand position is less attached to skateboarding so they have more widespread appeal

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 01:33:20 PM »
I have a hoodie and my wife says I look hot in it. It gets me laid. So I like Stussy.

Fit and quality are good though and while somewhat pricey I see the value. Not to mention the OG script logo is one of my all time favourite word marks.

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 01:34:41 PM »
Stussy has just been making quality products and great collabs all year making people inside and out of skating really appreciate their history.

This year we saw Hugo and Jalba rocking a lot of stussy gear. They put out a one star, a chuck 70, an af1, and those beautiful penny 2’s. They released Carpool. Had collabs with more high fashion shit like dvn, denim tears and our legacy. Man they even teased a custom rolls Royce this year, they’ve really been on one.

Never really been my fav brand but all the dudes at the TO stussy store are genuine and most of em skate and have some sponsors.

work_lurker

• Rep: 102
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 01:41:56 PM »
Expand Quote
specifically these 3

[close]

Was Ralph Steadman art director for Stussy back in the day, or is this a one-off or a ripoff? Also, very odd that a quick google search of "Ralph Steadman Stussy" results in pages of a Ralph Steadman Supreme colab...
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »
Isn't Shawn Stussy long gone from the brand and Frank Sinatra jr just kinda doing his thing with it now? I believe there was a falling out with that stuff.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 04:44:18 PM »
It’s gotten to the point where I see old Japanese men run it so who in their right mind would question it….

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 05:36:48 PM »
Isn't Shawn Stussy long gone from the brand and Frank Sinatra jr just kinda doing his thing with it now? I believe there was a falling out with that stuff.

Correct. I think Shawn has been apart from the brand for 15 years or something. Seems like he’s chillin and surfing a bunch these days. Probably did alright.

Grant Patronik

• Rep: 20
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2022, 07:16:56 PM »
They went through a weird Zumiez/sell out phase but it seems like they're moving back in the right direction. I'd never bought their clothes until last year when my local starting stocking it frequently. The quality is very nice and maybe slightly more affordable than comparable brands like Supreme.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2022, 07:58:47 PM »
I never knew stussy for anything besides heinous allover-print bucket hats you get at pacsun, wild to find out they are skating adjacent

Trilogy

• Rep: -298
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2022, 08:18:00 PM »
does Freshjive still make cool street wear clothing??????

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 08:25:56 PM »
I get goosebumps when the baseline thumps
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1659
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 08:27:55 PM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 08:49:26 PM »
When I was 12 I wanted some fly Stussy gear but Jamesway didn’t sell Stussy so I got Mossimo. Kind of looks like Mossimo was trying to fool moms into thinking it was the same company. It’s kind of like when Fresh Prince wanted Adidas but got Zips.

Also, for all you Copper Rivit heads out there, guess who’s back…

https://gotcha.com/

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 46
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 10:51:27 PM »
When I was 12 I wanted some fly Stussy gear but Jamesway didn’t sell Stussy so I got Mossimo. Kind of looks like Mossimo was trying to fool moms into thinking it was the same company. It’s kind of like when Fresh Prince wanted Adidas but got Zips.

That was a fun anecdote. The moral of the story is never let Mom or your girlfriend buy gear for you. 

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 10:57:40 PM »

Oh man. Mossimo was the shit in grade 7. The cool kids wore it. Mind you, the cool kids also had bowl cuts with the sides of their head shaved.