Author Topic: Seeing a therapist/psychologist  (Read 729 times)

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Seeing a therapist/psychologist
« on: December 22, 2022, 03:58:31 PM »
Been dealing with mental issues for a lil while now. Anxiety and depression, mainly anxiety though, with insomnia on the side, caused by some issues from the past that I had to deal with and put away that have been creeping up on me and recently have been effecting my work life and personal life. Some days it’s manageable, other days it feels so crippling that it feels like a challenge just to get through the day without breaking down. I’ve always been a hefty drinker too but lately I’ve been drinking two-three times as much because of all of this as well.

I was talking to my boss at work who actually told me that my work offers therapy/mental health assistance through a program, and I actually made the leap and just signed up for an appointment today. It’s gonna be over the phone hour long sessions. They actually accidentally booked me for back to back appointments with two different therapists so I was thinking of just taking both.

To anyone who has had experience going to therapy, would you say it has been pretty beneficial? What should I go in expecting? Actually stoked that I even took the step to actually make an appointment, because the old me would have never done this in a million years.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -512
Re: Seeing a therapist/psychologist
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »
Therapy can help for sure, so many people I know credit it for giving them their life back.  As a former drinker though, I can emphasize how much not drinking can change your life.  When you look back on life as a drinker once you are sober, it’s hard to imagine not being depressed, tired anxious and all bunch of other bad stuff.  I don’t want to bum you out, but if your mentioning the drinking, you might already want to deal with that on some level.  It won’t solve all you’re problems, life throws a lot at ya, but I was surprised by how many more problems not drinking solved then I had anticipated. 

Good for you for softening on your opinion on getting help with things, and the boss suggesting it is dope as well.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 04:23:19 PM »
Therapy is a great resource to have, and it's awesome that you're giving it a try. I was reluctant for a very long time to go myself but I'm glad I did (and still do).

In my experience, there aren't quite as many "a-ha" lightbulb moments like you might see in the movies. Sometimes they're there as a sort of impartial backboard to help you talk out a problem or a feeling in a way you can't get from a well intended loved one. Sometimes they're a guide to uncomfortable truths that can lead you to great conclusions about yourself. But ultimately, I feel like the goal of therapy is to gather the tools to help you navigate your mental health with some clarity and resilience. But I'm sure you already knew that. :)

Oh, and if you don't necessarily mesh with your therapist, no shame in switching. It took me a few tries and a lot of really bad timing to find someone decent. It's good to keep an open mind about the experience, but that doesn't mean you have to settle for someone that isn't working for you. Good luck!

edit: lol, sorry for the duplicate posts. It kept saying my post wasn't going through so I kept trying.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 06:15:09 PM by pizzafliptofakie »

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
I haven’t looked into therapy myself but I think it’s something I’d benefit from. And let’s be real most people would.

Good for you on taking this step, I know it can be daunting. Wishing you the best and I hope things get better sooner than later.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 08:45:16 PM »
Took me a very long time to give psychology a try which I regret...

The first time I tried however, I did not enjoy the experience I was having at all. It was this guy and I don't know - there was just a massive disconnect between us. It was not happening...

Then I got scared off for about a year but was in desperate need to speak with somebody professionally and got referred by my doctor to this wonderful lady who helped me a great deal. I am still on her books but haven't been in about 6 months. I need to go back. But it has helped me help myself. Used to feel like a constant war within me, still can and does at times but now I get that it's ok.

Pizzaflip pretty much nailed it in what they said.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 09:49:17 PM »
Super helpful, like you don't even notice you need a hand most of the time when shit clicks you're like fuck, I really do need help
Try it out bro
listen to cosmic psychos

hl2

• Rep: -60
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 11:11:54 PM »
i think it's one of the healthiest adventures you can take as long as you open and willing to learn, you might have to "find" the right therapist. just be open and honest, this is really the hardest part. you have to be 100% honest with your therapist which i think a lot of people flake out on.

i dont know what u do personally but if i were u i would cut all drugs and alcohol, wrangle the addictions down & trap all those feelings before they grow into something more, those feelings are not actually you

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 11:32:21 PM »
I have been going once a week, also for depression and anxiety (and ocd), for about four years and it is life-changing. Just the fact that you have someone to run by topics you are mulling for an objective opinion before you take action on them is incredibly beneficial.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 11:38:22 PM »
Ditto to most of what everyone else said. I see a therapist twice a month, my next appointment is in 13 hours in fact. This current therapist is the 2nd one I've had and she is so much better than my first one. It's worth it to keep looking until you find a good fit for you. And I will also second that you shouldn't expect "aha" light bulb moments, usually it can take a few sessions of talking about stuff that seems inconsequential, and then you'll get a breakthrough or have a moment of clarity. And you will understand a little bit better how you think about/react to the world around you.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 11:59:39 PM »
Make sure you see a registered psychologist as opposed to counsellors that don't have the same degree of education or supervision before working with people. I'm not sure what the requirements are in the US but in Australia almost anyone can pretend to be a qualified counsellor.

Don't expect immediate results. Things can take a long time to realise and proccess. Access to a good psychologist that you click with is an absolute privilege. Hang on to them while you can.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 12:38:04 AM »
I had crippling anxiety issues 10+ years ago, managed to get 10 free sessions with a local shrink.

I think it all just clicked because she wasn’t some stuffy clinical diagnoser, she was pretty out there and sought the heart of why I was anxious.

I can attribute a major positive swing in my adult life to speaking with this person, and would encourage anyone to seek out a mental health worker they can gel with, it makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 09:43:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback y’all! Definitely looking forward to the session.

And as for the drinking, I have been making an effort to cut back actually. I was drinking every couple hours of the day, having a shot or two or more every couple hours from the time I woke up til the end of the day, and usually ending the night with more drinking, and this went on for a good while. I’m happy to say that as of today I am no longer drinking during the day! Managed to slowly wean off day drinking, today is actually my first day not having a single drink at all during the day, over the last few days I’ve felt less of a need for it during the day, I still get anxiety and am slightly shakey from minor withdrawal symptoms during the day but they’re getting easier and easier to brush off. Gonna still do night time drinking (gonna shave it down just to doing it at the end of my day) probably til January 1st (I feel the symptoms of minor withdrawals such as anxiety and shakes for me tend to be worse during the night anyways, so gonna try to wean off that a bit slower, plus with Christmas and New Years coming up it might be better to wait til after all that), and then once January 1 hits gonna cut the night time intake down to half, then by another quarter, and then eventually to nothing at all. My goal is to cut back to just having a couple drinks here n there instead of every day. Confident I can do it!

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 05:09:10 PM »
I might as well add my two cents to this as well. I had a pretty severe bout of anxiety a few months ago and decided to go and see a therapist (a clinical psychologist in this case) about it. I also did a month off the booze and while I've started having a beer or two here and there again, I feel a lot more in control of it than I have in the past.

It took about a month or two to notice an improvement, but it's kind of like starting back skating or picking up a workout routine, If you keep putting in the work the results will eventually come - just maybe not overnight. It's also worth mentioning that you might have set backs or days where things might feel like they've gone back to square one, and that's when it's great having a professional in your corner to help you get back on track.

Good luck!
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -512
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 06:49:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback y’all! Definitely looking forward to the session.

And as for the drinking, I have been making an effort to cut back actually. I was drinking every couple hours of the day, having a shot or two or more every couple hours from the time I woke up til the end of the day, and usually ending the night with more drinking, and this went on for a good while. I’m happy to say that as of today I am no longer drinking during the day! Managed to slowly wean off day drinking, today is actually my first day not having a single drink at all during the day, over the last few days I’ve felt less of a need for it during the day, I still get anxiety and am slightly shakey from minor withdrawal symptoms during the day but they’re getting easier and easier to brush off. Gonna still do night time drinking (gonna shave it down just to doing it at the end of my day) probably til January 1st (I feel the symptoms of minor withdrawals such as anxiety and shakes for me tend to be worse during the night anyways, so gonna try to wean off that a bit slower, plus with Christmas and New Years coming up it might be better to wait til after all that), and then once January 1 hits gonna cut the night time intake down to half, then by another quarter, and then eventually to nothing at all. My goal is to cut back to just having a couple drinks here n there instead of every day. Confident I can do it!

You can totally do it.  I didn’t do AA, but you are familiar with their “one day at a time” talk of course?  If I can suggest on thing, I would concentrate on that, don’t pick now, while you are still drinking, what your future drinking habits will be “drinks here and there”.  Not saying any steps you are taking are wrong, and I’m no expert, but the first time I quit I did a month, and pretty quickly settled right back in I’ve the next couple months to my old daily drinking.  To feel any of the physical benefits, it takes a bit of time, I’d look into some of those physical effect time lines and try to hit some of those, to see how you feel about easing back in after feeling those positive effects.  Sorry if this is preachy or advice you didn’t ask for, but there’s a reason people who stop drinking talk about so passionately, it’s pretty sick

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »
Cognitive behavioral therapy is good for anxiety and depression. I have complex PTSD and it's starting to help when I use the STOPP method and allow myself to live in the moment. I learned that in therapy.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

baggy spandex

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 02:39:41 PM »
They actually accidentally booked me for back to back appointments with two different therapists so I was thinking of just taking both.

Might not be a bad thing to take both appointments since they’re already set up, but I’d say keep in mind that if they’re literally back to back and you have no time in between it might be a bit emotionally exhausting. First sessions usually have a good chunk of time just to go over housekeeping/insurance and professional ethics and expectations but once you start getting into what you’re going through and unloading all that for the first time you might feel a bit drained by the end. But it could also be a good way to get a sense of which one might work for you.

There’s a lot of good advice in here already, but congrats on taking those first steps on the journey, because sometimes just getting started can be the hardest part. I have a few friends who have thought about trying therapy for years but they always end up talking themselves out of it or just making excuses and putting it off. That’s how I was too, until I just couldn’t anymore. So, all that to say it sounds like you’re on the right track and you won’t regret putting yourself out there, if that makes sense.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 05:00:31 PM »
you deserve it

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 07:08:21 PM »
It helps me to have someone to talk to about things I’m uncomfortable talking about with anyone else. It’s like it relieves the built up pressure of negative thoughts on my mind even if it’s only for a couple hours. It serves as a temporary reset for my brain. I’ll be talking with my therapist over the phone tomorrow and I need it.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 07:28:29 PM »
If solo is hard you might want to try group if you never have before.

First time depression hit me, I went to group. Just do a lot more listening and understanding and reciprocating safe spaces. Don’t share if you’re not ready or more than you want. Boundaries.