Author Topic: Hats / caps for smaller heads  (Read 582 times)

dmtr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Hats / caps for smaller heads
« on: December 25, 2022, 12:36:57 PM »
I was wondering if someone knows some decent caps for people with smaller heads.
Last 2 years I’ve been wearing the same 3 caps, and washed ‘em a couple of times. But now they’re done.

almost every cap sits on my ears, making me look like dumbo. Figured out I need to seek out low profile or low crown caps, but most are still too big for me.

The Element pool cap, Santa Cruz and patagonia caps are the only ones that fitted me, and I’m not even a big fan of the unstructured cap.

Anyone like me with a small dome who can help out?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Hats / caps for smaller heads
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 04:24:40 PM »
I have this same issue. Glad there’s a thread for this. Some of the Thrasher caps are fairly low crown. Even some of the truckers if that’s your thing. Curving the bill helps a bit with some. In warm weather you can wet a cap and wear it in the sun a bit and it will shrink into shape a little better. I had some Brixton hats I did this with and it worked out pretty good.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 04:56:44 PM »

Once there were a lot more deeper caps (think over your ears type of thing) but it seems now there are a lot more shallow caps, structured and unstructured, with even the blank market going more towards the smaller fitting, or sitting more on your head, not down over it.

I don't try on a lot of caps, but the DLX - AH, Real, Krooked, Spitfire, Thunder Venture - caps all seem to be going really small and shallow, especially a Thunder one I got not too long ago which has been too small for everyone who has tried it, even the guy with similar issues, although I think it did fit him well, he just didn't want Thunder.

As to some others, quite a few of the bigger blank brands are making smaller caps now, which many smaller brands use, almost all in the normal snap back look, from what I have seen.

Depending on where you are in the world, in AU / NZ there is a brand called AS Colour that do their own, which are all fairly shallow now too and feel comfortable.

Not so sure for anywhere in USA or elsewhere though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »
i assume all the DLX snapbacks are the same and my go-to for a couple years now has been an Anti Hero hat, super low crown on it.

dmtr

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 10:18:11 PM »
Tried DLX - AH- Spitfire ,way too big for me unfortunately.  Although they always seem fairly low on pictures.

Will look into passport.

Thanks for the replies so far.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 10:50:29 PM »
I’ve had some grand collection hats that fit well…

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 02:56:29 AM »
Same probplem here. Most of the traditional snapbacks/flexfit cap are too deep for me, but last year i got polar 5 panel cap and it  fits perfect, but the shape is a bit different and doesn't look as cool as the traditianl baseball cap. May be we could look for some teen sizing from those :)

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 04:01:08 AM »
I had a Magenta snapback hat that fit super good with a low crown. It wasn't unstructured but eventually wore in good to fit perfect. i would think all theories brand hats are similar. Also, i feel your pain. i have the smallest head and always look dumb in most hats.

dmtr

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 04:07:47 AM »
Is there a way to find out distribitors who make caps for certain brands?

Like in my first post, the patagonia, santa cruz and element cap fits me pretty okay. But those brands have not much in common, I wiuld reckon. Would be nice to know which exact model/dimensions that cap has.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 11:19:05 AM »
Also have the same problem. Just dad cap fit me and some 5 panel caps.
 I have found turbokolor 5 panels fit my small head and they are made in Europe, I think Poland. I heard that magenta and polar caps ale also made in Europe, if that's true they are maybe made in the same factory.
I hated ordering5 panel caps which in the end didn't fit me so now I'm over it and just buy basic dad caps at h&m at sale

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »
Is there a way to find out distribitors who make caps for certain brands?

Like in my first post, the patagonia, santa cruz and element cap fits me pretty okay. But those brands have not much in common, I wiuld reckon. Would be nice to know which exact model/dimensions that cap has.

I think a lot more companies, especially the bigger ones, are now sourcing their own directly through manufacturers in China.

A lot of brands used to use Yupoong / Flexfit who are possibly the largest blank cap wholesaler, as per the small but noticeable branding on the inside of the cap, either the tag or even on the metal button for the underside of the top bit, with their logo on many different brands I would see a while back - talking ten or more years easily.

Then brands with a little clout (the bigger ones) started to do their own caps, which often were different from cap to cap, no additional branding on them, so they skipped the middle man and just put in their exact request for cut with the manufacturer and away they go.

That is why it was funny with DLX, some caps still being really big, others really small, even between different snap back options.  That doesn't even touch on the different types of structured / unstructured or five panel or dad caps or whatever other things they do, so I got wary of just buying any and had to try them on first.

NHS (Santa Cruz) and Element and quite a few others all seem to be going this route, so it makes it a lot harder to try to find something of the same shape, fit and style, just with different brands / logos on it.

The number of caps I have unpicked the patch off and put another one on, just for the fit alone is more than I care to think about, but I guess if it is down to just finding the right fit, maybe also try other shops that might not be skate brands that have caps with small or removeable logos you can wear instead.

I guess I would rather wear a blank cap or something I have unpicked the patch from, than a brand I like that doesn't fit well.

Even department stores have so many options in that regard.

Just a thought anyway.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.