Author Topic: Tips for skating chamfered edge ledges  (Read 840 times)

35mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
Tips for skating chamfered edge ledges
« on: December 27, 2022, 08:30:48 AM »
So my city has a bunch of concrete ledges but they all have a pretty big chamfer on the edge.

By chamfer I mean that the edge of the ledge is not a horizontal plane and then a vertical plane but a horizontal plane, then a 45 degree sloped plane and then the vertical plane.

I find them quite hard to skate.

If the chamfer is small enough there is not much problem when doing grinds. The truck touches the top of the ledge and the wheels (on your heels when going frontside or on your toes when going backside) touch the vertical plane of the ledge. Grinds get locked.
When the chamfer is big enough the wheels touch the sloped plane so it is very easy that they roll up the slope and you end up getting on top of the ledge or worse, eating shit.
Slides are also hard because you cant slide with the baseplate, you have to slide with your wheels. The chamfer is not big enough that the wheels make contact with the sloped plane doing a tailslide for example. I think that would be really hard to skate.

Any tips on how to skate these kind of ledges?

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Tips for skating chamfered edge ledges
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 12:08:51 PM »
Are these ledges in the GTA by chance?

yeah these ledges are kinda funky grinds like 5050 5os need a more parallel approach and less reliance on locking in.
I find it impossible to cross-lock ledge 5050s due to the rollup u mentioned. crooks require you to be in more of nosegrind board orientation on the ledge. tail/noseslides require you to slide like a thunder (wax/rubbrick/lacquer the underside real heavy) and also require you to stand further in towards the tips of your kicks or else your center is gonna be on the 45 degree section and you slide off. not waxing the underside gives the best screeches but you will haul ass and roll away at tic-tac speeds.

also i would say rubbricking the 45 degree slope is worth it. the concrete they use for these ledges tend to be kinda flaky shitty and they chip really easy (at least in the GTA where all the ledges are like this) so you kinda have to glide in instead of bashing ur truck in. I guess letting the lacquer dry overnight instead of 20minutes may help but I cant find a way to reduce the chipping except being more smooth in my ollies in
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 05:01:29 AM »
You could pick up a piece of angled iron and glue it to the ledge..
My experience is, that if you make an effort and try to make a transformation of city look like it's born with your add on, chances are it will survive. I once mounted a granite block on to the surface of a city square. I went to a boat store a bought some 2 component epoxy glue. They claimed the propeller of a ferry was glued with that stuff. It stayed for a year until the city would remove it for other purpose use of the location. Professional builders merchants' also supposed to have some good stuff. Tell that you need to glue iron to concrete and that it needs to be real sturdy.

Always make sure to clean the surfaces probably.

Else rub brick and skin coat/clear coat is probably your best bet.

No use of angles iron, but still inspo
https://youtu.be/rDlYSY3TPq8
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 05:14:53 AM »
Also this
Here's basically all you need to know, if you want to rub brick and clear coat.
A combination of rub bricking and then gluing on angled iron is a really good option, if the chamfer is really big. Just make sure that the wings of the angled iron is big enough to have surface to glue on. I'd say you probably want 8-10 centimeters of contact surface. How that translates to inches I don't know :d ;=)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptauiVhj2w
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 09:52:34 PM »
Also this
Here's basically all you need to know, if you want to rub brick and clear coat.
A combination of rub bricking and then gluing on angled iron is a really good option, if the chamfer is really big. Just make sure that the wings of the angled iron is big enough to have surface to glue on. I'd say you probably want 8-10 centimeters of contact surface. How that translates to inches I don't know :d ;=)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptauiVhj2w

i used to glue on angle iron with cheapass contruction epoxy (the tube you put in a gun thing) and that also worked until angle iron got real pricy....also couldnt find any long pieces :(
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 05:36:09 PM »
You need to remove the skate stoppers
listen to cosmic psychos

switchfakie

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 07:02:08 PM »
personally i wouldnt skatem

just look like ass with no lock in, just throw away the whole ledge unless your hungry for nose, tail or blunt slides