Author Topic: Guys who ride shaped decks...  (Read 2310 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Guys who ride shaped decks...
« on: December 27, 2022, 10:42:03 AM »
Have you found that since you started riding a shaped deck you can't go back to a regular popsicle deck?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Guys who ride shaped decks...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 11:48:27 AM »
No. I’ve been skating mostly shaped decks for a few years now and I am missing the simplicity of popsicles right now. Maybe when I’m back on a popsicle I’ll start missing some funky shapes. I like both and think both have their place.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 11:55:53 AM »
I have skated shaped in the past - a couple Welcome, a Lib Tech, and am on my second Anti Hero Blue Meanie - which really just has a squared nose.  In most cases I now think I'd rather be on a popsicle.  When my current Blue Meanie is done I will just get a white Eagle deck and call it good.    The last Welcome I had was an Enenra that I bought for the super wide nose, and I prefer the Clutch O shape nose more because it is also fat but less extreme.   

I still don't care for pointy popsicles.

Full shaped popsicles > Shaped decks > Pointy popsicles.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »
I went back and forth with both from 2001 to 2010 or so, but eventually went shaped only. Eventually I fell into a pattern of getting frustrated on a popsicle, busting out my shaped board with 65mm soft wheels and just monster trucking everything, getting back to basics and having fun, to then putting smaller wheels on the shaped board and getting more technical, to then going back to a popsicle, eventually getting frustrated, and repeat the cycle.

ProfessorJSS

• Rep: -6
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 12:22:02 PM »
It’s funny you made this thread. I’d actually been riding frog & polar shaped boards for my last 4 or 5 decks and just recently switched back to a standard popsicle shaped limo. In spite of the sheer absurdity of an 8.6 width now feeling somewhat small under my feet, I actually haven’t struggled at all to adjust back like I thought I might. The biggest appreciable difference is that my flip tricks are easier again. But in terms of it feeling awkward or my skating suffering, I thankfully haven’t had any of that.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 12:26:01 PM »
I love shaped decks with a long wheelbase (15”) for riding transition but love a short and wide popsicle with a super short wheelbase (<-14.125) for flat ground and curbs.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »
No. I’ve been skating mostly shaped decks for a few years now and I am missing the simplicity of popsicles right now. Maybe when I’m back on a popsicle I’ll start missing some funky shapes. I like both and think both have their place.
I feel pretty much the same. I had a lot of fun on shaped board over the summer but I skate wider shaped than my pops. I just went up to 8.25 on my popsicle. I enjoy riding a smaller board.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 03:53:14 PM »
I have skated shaped in the past - a couple Welcome, a Lib Tech, and am on my second Anti Hero Blue Meanie - which really just has a squared nose.  In most cases I now think I'd rather be on a popsicle.  When my current Blue Meanie is done I will just get a white Eagle deck and call it good.    The last Welcome I had was an Enenra that I bought for the super wide nose, and I prefer the Clutch O shape nose more because it is also fat but less extreme.   

I still don't care for pointy popsicles.

Full shaped popsicles > Shaped decks > Pointy popsicles.

I got one of the Raney Beres 8.63 decks which i'm pretty sure is the same shape as the blue meanie and i hated it so much i set up an old deck instead. Never had a shape just feel so wrong to me.

My preference is the krooked shaped decks at around 9 inches. I might try some of the black label or heated wheel decks soon, they have nice shapes.

I like the feeling I get from having the narrower tail and wider area where the front bolts are. It feels like I can grip the tail with my feet by wrapping my toes around the edge (not literally) while the top is wide enough that my front foot won't slip off, which is something that happened a lot to me when i skated popsicles.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 07:22:18 PM »
I currently have two setups, a popsicle and a shaped board. In the past, I've switched up to shaped decks in the winter to have fun and get through depressing winter months of skating once or twice a week at indoor parks, then back to popsicle when it warms up and I'm back to skating a lot of street.

However, I'm really happy I have the option to choose either setup right now, and I'm going to do my best to always have that option from here on out. If you are fortunate enough to enjoy the best of both worlds, do it.

That being said, I think I could skate the Polar Dane 1 shaped board forever without missing Popsicles too much. I can do everything I want to do on ledges and flatground with it, and transition (which is my personal favorite) feels so sick on that board.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 07:59:40 PM »
Not at all I mean I hardly skate these days but went from usual polar football to someone's polar popsicle for a barefoot sesh at a park it was an Aaron Herrington one and it was chill as it made me wanna get a popsicle one which I will do shortly

Such a polar fanboi
It's the glue they use I think
listen to cosmic psychos

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 08:08:31 PM »
I currently have two setups, a popsicle and a shaped board. In the past, I've switched up to shaped decks in the winter to have fun and get through depressing winter months of skating once or twice a week at indoor parks, then back to popsicle when it warms up and I'm back to skating a lot of street.

However, I'm really happy I have the option to choose either setup right now, and I'm going to do my best to always have that option from here on out. If you are fortunate enough to enjoy the best of both worlds, do it.

That being said, I think I could skate the Polar Dane 1 shaped board forever without missing Popsicles too much. I can do everything I want to do on ledges and flatground with it, and transition (which is my personal favorite) feels so sick on that board.

How flat are those polar shaped decks? I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 08:32:55 PM »

I got one of the Raney Beres 8.63 decks which i'm pretty sure is the same shape as the blue meanie and i hated it so much i set up an old deck instead. Never had a shape just feel so wrong to me.

My preference is the krooked shaped decks at around 9 inches. I might try some of the black label or heated wheel decks soon, they have nice shapes.

I like the feeling I get from having the narrower tail and wider area where the front bolts are. It feels like I can grip the tail with my feet by wrapping my toes around the edge (not literally) while the top is wide enough that my front foot won't slip off, which is something that happened a lot to me when i skated popsicles.

Beres is 8.62 with a 14.25 wheelbase.  Blue Meanie is 8.75 with a 14.75 wheelbase, with a taper to tail.

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 08:33:14 PM »
Are lame

pops

• Rep: 242
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 10:22:14 PM »
Shaped boards for the last 5 years or so. I was on popsicles for almost 20 years and appreciate the change as I'm getting older and also like to skate differently than when I was younger. When I look down at a shaped board I get more stoked to skate so that's a plus.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 10:30:53 PM »
I recently did a year straight on various shaped boards and I think they’re definitely more fun to skate.  I’ve been back on popsicles for the past few months and it was actually an easy transition back.  I think I can skate a little better on popsicles but some of the relatively shorter wheelbase (< 14.5”) shaped decks (Dane 1, Krooked sweatpants, etc.) aren’t far off from popsicles in terms of what I can accomplish on them in my limited realm of skating.

I think shaped boards become addicting because they’re more of an experience with buying and trying different ones from different brands which is a slippery slope.  I know I personally can’t run a popsicle and a separate shaped setup simultaneously cause I just keep gravitating back to the shaped board…

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 11:00:39 PM »
The headfuck with me is the tiny tail on footy shape, hard to go back and fourth with the one inch difference
listen to cosmic psychos

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 01:02:47 AM »
I don’t think I’ll ever really go back tbh, I come from the days when certain pros had certain shapes and that was part of the whole package imho; you had your shape, you had your graphic and it matched your style.
Like the poster above, it’s kinda funny that you made this thread because I just set this up;

And while it still does have a shape, it’s the closet to a popsicle I’ve ridden in around 3 years…(also the first time I’ve dipped below 8.75 in a minute)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 04:05:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Beres is 8.62 with a 14.25 wheelbase.  Blue Meanie is 8.75 with a 14.75 wheelbase, with a taper to tail.

Maybe he’s referring to the standard 8.63” DLX shape which has a 14.75” wheelbase? Same as the cream eagle.

I skated a DLX 8.75” during the summer (same as the white eagle) and while I really liked it it felt a lot different than the Blue Meanie I skated earlier. Blue Meanie had a heftier pop feel and while it’s a tank it felt maybe a bit easier to control for me. I skated a bunch of different boards in between though and had different wheels on so my comparison isn’t an accurate side by side comparison by any means.

I’ve actually had a Krooked 8.63” in my stack for a good while now. Never skated that shape. Maybe I’ll set it up next to see how I like it.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 05:14:49 AM »
For me I’ve always been able to separate my popsicle from the shaped and never have had a shaped as my main. For me a shaped deck is the thing that gets me rolling around when I don’t really have the motivation but know I should. A fun change of pace. Currently on a 9.25 slick egg that has been a ton of fun and it’s nice to have that extra size when I’m being lazy

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2022, 06:09:41 AM »
I’ve been riding [size=78%]shaped decks for so long I’ve forgotten what a popcicle is like and I’m ki d of amped on setting one up. Got a Hockey board as they seem the most interesting out of the lot and I back John Fitzgerald. Keen to see how it feels and to try and learn some flips on the thing. [/size]

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2022, 11:30:50 AM »
i can't imagine going back to a popsicle anymore. not that i wouln't be able to skate it, but looking down on a shape just pumps me up so much more.
also i mostly skate 9.5 to 10" boards and those are not common for pops.

I don’t think I’ll ever really go back tbh, I come from the days when certain pros had certain shapes and that was part of the whole package imho; you had your shape, you had your graphic and it matched your style.
Like the poster above, it’s kinda funny that you made this thread because I just set this up;

And while it still does have a shape, it’s the closet to a popsicle I’ve ridden in around 3 years…(also the first time I’ve dipped below 8.75 in a minute)

that deck was so sick! there was a prize to be won right? i cant remember what it was anymore tho.
off topic, but you heard he started a hardcore band?

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2022, 11:37:37 AM »
As some people have already said, I like having a popsicle and a shaped board to switch between. Depending on the day and my mood I like alternating, will sometimes swap midsession if I wanna change it up.  Obviously terrain plays a part, the shaped board is more fun on transition, but that setup is heavier so it isnt ideal for street skating (as much as I wish I could whip that thing around the same as my popsicle).  Both have their merits. 

Also have a cruiser on hand with rough riders on it.  I feel like if I had a polarizer too I’d truly have all the bases covered but that will happen soon enough.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2022, 11:40:58 AM »
Some shaped decks are certainly more novelty than practical but the right proportions on a football/ egg shape suit my needs better ov er popsicles almost all the time.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2022, 12:22:59 PM »
After years of all of this setup/trick inclusivity, I’m over it. I wish for the rules to come back.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »
i can't imagine going back to a popsicle anymore. not that i wouln't be able to skate it, but looking down on a shape just pumps me up so much more.

Expand Quote

[close]

that deck was so sick! there was a prize to be won right? i cant remember what it was anymore tho.
What’s the band?

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2022, 01:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
What’s the band?

theyre just called Japanese Super Rats. but only had their 2nd show the other day so theres almost nothing to be found yet.

got some insane pics like this

and these unclear videos

https://twitter.com/takeshitmetal/status/1540789790542417921

but thats all the info i got so far.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2022, 02:36:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maybe he’s referring to the standard 8.63” DLX shape which has a 14.75” wheelbase? Same as the cream eagle.

I skated a DLX 8.75” during the summer (same as the white eagle) and while I really liked it it felt a lot different than the Blue Meanie I skated earlier. Blue Meanie had a heftier pop feel and while it’s a tank it felt maybe a bit easier to control for me. I skated a bunch of different boards in between though and had different wheels on so my comparison isn’t an accurate side by side comparison by any means.

I’ve actually had a Krooked 8.63” in my stack for a good while now. Never skated that shape. Maybe I’ll set it up next to see how I like it.

Both the blue meanie and the Beres shape are kind of like a popsicle with a square tapered nose so I thought they must be the same.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »

Re shaped boards vs popsicles, it really depends on the shape, as some are full 80s fish shaped boards and others are barely a sliver here or an edge there.

When I skated a Black Label Taylor, the tail was so big, long, square and monstrous that it was weird riding a normal board again, but almost any other shaped board I have no issue with.  The tail blocks on that thing were all time though.

This might help with the 8.62 vs 8.63 board shape questions.

As said the 8.62 is the popsicle, but the Raney shape is on 8.63 and the main reason I use this link is so it is a lot easier to see the shape, from the top view:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Anti_Hero_Beres_Street_Performers_Deck/descpage-AHBSP85DK.html

Raney Beres pro model
Width - 8.63"
Length - 32.044"
Wheelbase - 14.25"

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2022, 07:33:13 PM »
Have you found that since you started riding a shaped deck you can't go back to a regular popsicle deck?

being a geriatric skater, shape deck is a blast to the past but with todays modern dimension and board quality.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 12:52:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Both the blue meanie and the Beres shape are kind of like a popsicle with a square tapered nose so I thought they must be the same.

Thanks for the info you and @Mbrimson88 both. I wasn’t aware of this shape probably because it’s got a short wheelbase. It does look rather similar to the Blue Meanie.