Author Topic: When/why/how did you stop liking your "favorite" company?  (Read 9706 times)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: When/why/how did you stop liking your "favorite" company?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2022, 08:18:49 PM »
Chocolate

Dropped an exciting teaser for Pretty Sweet just for the video to come out with not a single Pops trick, Calloway trick, not enough Castillo clips, Eldy re edit was a full part but hardly any of it in the video etc.

Pretty Sweet solidified the thought that my heroes were done

Big fan of their team now, but not sure how likely i am to watch that last video again

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

TheDingus

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2022, 08:22:13 PM »
Stereo was great in the mid 90’s now I don’t even know what it is. They should probably just call it quits at this point

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »
still unclear if Popwar was cool or not. looking back at it, im still unsure!

Popwar was tight!

My pick is Toy Machine. Somewhere along the line during my hiatus Ed became more hands off, and got even fatter, and the graphics look like they’re done by some design firm.

Tum Yeto in general has kinda taken a dive in the last decade. It’s sad to see.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

briarman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2022, 11:03:27 PM »

Alva was my favorite company by far. Zorlac & Skull Skates might be tied for 2nd. I think I had 2 each of the Bill Danforth, Fred Smith & Chris Cook. Then I stopped skating for 31 years. Back at it for a little over a year. Still trying to find a favorite company.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2022, 11:26:03 PM »
I grew up so attachment to certain brands just naturally faded. Obviously, the changing of the guard at Crail was a rough transition. Crail/Sovereign Sect were my two brands/companies growing up. I stopped caring about Alien once they killed off the team, although I do love Joey O'Brien's skating. I never stopped liking Habitat, Chocolate, and Girl, but obviously, I don't hold them in the same regard as before.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2022, 02:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looking back, I was all about Plan B. Not the original, the revival with in the mid-2000s
Lost interest after True cuz my favourites left (Wenning, Rodriguez, Gallant) along with no Ladd, Colin, D-Way part.
Although guys like Torey, Ryan and Joslin killed it.
 And Now I wouldn't skate a deck unless it was free.

How about y'all?
[close]

YOUR FAVORITE CONPANY OF ALL TIME EAS THE PLAN B REVIVAL HAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU A FUCKING MANIAC HAHAHA I WAS A KID WHEN THEY DID THAT AND IT WAS TERRIBLE BACK THEN ARE YOU FUCKING FOR REAL THATS YOUR FAVORITE COMPANY OF ALL TIME THE REVIVAL PLAN B ARE YOU FUCKKNG SHITTING ME RIGHT NOW

Edit: I may have come off a little judgmental. Revival Plan B is really your favorite company of all time?
[close]

I didn't skate in the early 90s so I don't know what era was like.
But As a teenager in 2005 after seeing  In Bloom, The DC Video, Wonderful Horrible Life - Plan B in the mid-2000s looked un-fucking-touchable!
Change my mind.
The idea of taking these superstar skateboarders from other companies, again, but this time producing only horrible graphics and maybe a good individual part every five years sounds great.
I'm surprised they're still around.

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2022, 03:00:23 AM »
Almost was my favourite for a while in the 2000s, their videos are still the ones I remember best. Suppose I lost interest when the likes of Haslam and a few others left. Now Dilo is the only one I can name off the top of my head.

I had somewhat of an opposite journey...
I thought they were wack but now that they've become a refuge for euro pros like Youness or Max Geronzi, i find them ok.
I mean, the graphics massively suck, though...

Althoug, i like that they supported Cooper Wilt. His Transworld part was amazing...

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2022, 03:36:03 AM »
flip, in the sorry. and really sorry era.
why? because their product was simply bad quality.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2022, 04:01:39 AM »
I want to say charizard but when I really think about it, it’s squirtle

flip, in the sorry. and really sorry era.
why? because their product was simply bad quality.

to my fortune none of their product was available at my country so it kept me dreaming for a few years since i got that bootleg sorry vhs copy in the mail with the board i bought in late 2002
aples was my man, boulala was fun, salabanzi an inspiration, geoff was raw and arto was simply too good
but then it took too long after really sorry to release shit

boulala/shane cross closed the deal for me, he was so damn good so young.

by the time extremely sorry came out it was too damn late and the final product was too damn bad, and as much I loved appleyard I knew that footy was 5 years old  ;D
luan and the new kids tried but it wasn't the same, golden years went by

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2022, 04:14:06 AM »
If you were old enough to be able to tell the difference in product quality you were too old to be buying flip boards

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2022, 04:20:57 AM »
I never stopped liking 101.
That's the good thing about dying young, you don't have a chance to fuckup a legacy.
Natas, Koston, Gino, Dill, Clyde, Marcus, Gabriel, Andy Stone. McNatt, yes, but he was sick when he was on.
Damn near perfect everything.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2022, 05:08:03 AM »
Flip in 05/06. Habitat when it made that weird Tum yeto move. Crail after pretty sweet. Es after especial was weird. Dgk and that baby scumbag kid. Expedition around gone fishing.

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2022, 05:13:43 AM »
Loved Flip as a kid, Sorry/Really Sorry Era. I remember watching those videos over and over, even all the extras...influenced my music taste massively too. My first 'proper' board was a blue PJ Ladd board with an owl on it...would only wear Rowley Vans etc etc.

That era of Flip is still great to watch now but maybe 15-16 I lost interest and discovered Blueprint and began a journey of Danny Brady cosplay, replaced Motorhead with Belle and Sebastian and never jumped down anything ever again.

lildonut92

• Rep: 10
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2022, 05:30:50 AM »
As a kid, emerica/baker from this is skateboarding to baker 3. Es/Flip menikmati to really sorry.

However as emerica/baker transitioned to the brand for stoner rock loving base jumpers from San Diego, I was out. I would probably still skate emericas as they seem like they keep a solid rotation of supportive cupsoles in the catalog.

I think Baker is doing cool shit now. I’m hoping emerica can revive themselves a little bit in the future. The Made days had them on the right track. Hsu and Spanly are my favorites. I would heavily back whatever company they ever do together.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2022, 05:35:26 AM »
Some of my favorite skaters are on Hockey but I just can’t do the giant square nose decks anymore (I understand the 8.44 is a normal shape - not enough options).  Don’t think those shapes are conducive to my skating being successful. 

Started skating in the late 90’s so I grew up loving Zero but every interview/podcast about/with Jamie Thomas that I’ve come across as an adult has completely turned me off to anything he’s involved in.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2022, 05:36:43 AM »
when pretty sweet dropped

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2022, 06:10:38 AM »
Man hard to give a solid answer I guess you could say it depended way more on what recent video had been released, but I really liked zero and then strange world came out and I just…..stopped. I porbqbly just grew up but it just got boring, that paired with what the alien crew/dylan were doing I liked all that more. That being said I don’t really care for hockey/FA either.

Terminal

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »
I steer clear of any company that has started doing price point boards

Edit: Damn it, I just realised the current brand I'm riding does them too!

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2022, 07:42:31 AM »
FA forever but it just doesnt feel the same as when it first started. benny does a great job with hockey but i've moved on from liking that board shape, feels super weird to ride now. some newer companies feel more representative of what i like and im more into riding quality products from legacy brands ive always loved (DLX, baker)

i was a diehard hesh flip/emerica kid, david gonzalez was my favorite skater but cherry completely changed that for me lol. went from wanna be jaws to wanna be sean pablo in like a week

Warmup

• Rep: -16
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »
Emerica when there shoes started looking like shit

Craig was never my favorite company but I found it amazing how even as a child I couldn’t stand watching there videos

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:44 AM »
Im still pretty much just into A-Team.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2022, 08:13:43 AM »
True story: I feel weird buying my favorite company’s boards because I have a years-long feud with one of their ams (he accused me of poisoning his deceased grandma) and I feel weird indirectly giving him money. I’m not shitposting by the way, genuinely one of the weirdest interactions I’ve ever had, even outside of skating

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2022, 08:21:49 AM »
Started skating in the late 90’s so I grew up loving Zero but every interview/podcast about/with Jamie Thomas that I’ve come across as an adult has completely turned me off to anything he’s involved in.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106023.0

This thread didn't help the least bit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2022, 08:38:30 AM »
True story: I feel weird buying my favorite company’s boards because I have a years-long feud with one of their ams (he accused me of poisoning his deceased grandma) and I feel weird indirectly giving him money. I’m not shitposting by the way, genuinely one of the weirdest interactions I’ve ever had, even outside of skating

Haha whoa
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2022, 08:42:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm not going to plow through that thread again but didn't he turn down an offer to sell Zero for some obscene amount of money?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2022, 08:51:33 AM »
I-Path sold to Timberland, Kwatson was axed from team, soon after shoes became shittier

dropintopileout

• Rep: -39
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »
Enjoi. I started Middle school when bag of suck came out. loved the graphics and fun, and watched that video a bizzilion times.

Stopped liking it by early high school. I realized quickly that pandas and sweater vests didn't exactly garner the attention of the opposite sex.

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »
Alien went from amazing, eccentric and artistic to pumping out the very worst stuff ever made in skateboarding. Boards with Dyrdek's dog, Monster/Alien boards, etc. People give Dyrdek a lot of love for buying the brand back and giving it to the founders, but in my eyes he completely ruined that brand before he supposedly saved it.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know this isn't really related, but since you're talking about Jamie Thomas it's at least semi-relevant. I'd always viewed him quite highly since Welcome To Hell was the first video anyone ever showed me but late in my teenage years, I started to figure out how he was a strange controlling egomaniac, telling people how to dress, how to act, and what tricks to do etc.

Anyway, smash cut to 16 years later, my friend and local hometown hero skater Jamie Collins dies in a cliff diving accident. He was getting flow from Globe and some other regional companies. He was a good man and did a lot for our community and skate scene; including hosting ramp jams at his parent's farm/campground, building a mini ramp in a large storage shed and sharing the key with all the homies, organizing skate camps/lessons for the young kids at the skatepark through the local parks and rec programs and even permanently installing the best fixed round bar at our local park that he took out from the doomed 'skate section' of my old junior high school which wasn't being used anymore. Admittedly he had a drinking problem, which probably played a role in his accident but he was always supportive and kind to every generation of skaters beneath him. We weren't super close but I grew up skating around him as a shy kid awkwardly asking to see his sleeve of printed photos from a trip to California (one of his big trips down there to try and make it but broke his ankle so badly someone sent the footage to that ancient vulture reality tv show Real TV), to a clueless man-child young adult drinking and skating with him regularly. I even worked on his family farm for a bit and have a pretty vivid memory of sleeping in the bed of his pickup truck to get away from another older weird local who was asking me to jerk off in front of him... That's probably too much drunken nostalgic setup but things keep flooding back to me lately so might as well post them here for posterity.

I'd always known that he built a concrete and brick/tile mini ramp 2 hours out on the west coast in Tofino but I was in and out of the skate scene so many times at that point I guess he and others involved figured I wasn't interested or worth taking out there to see/skate it. But after he passed I thought someone would finally take me out there and for some fucked up reason I feel personally insulted and pissed off that because of who he is, Jamie Thomas got taken out there and did some small piece about it for reasons unknown to me, despite him not knowing Collins at all. It feels like he forced the word respect in as many times as possible. I don't even know what to think anymore but this video bums me out more than it should.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2022, 09:53:11 AM »
Zero, idk what happened in the way, but lost taste.
:p