Author Topic: Period Correct Set Ups.  (Read 2140 times)

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

Period Correct Set Ups.
« on: December 30, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »

I got sick of looking at this on my wall so just set it up. Probably replace the Ace 55s with Thunder 151s given how wide the wheels are and b/c Natas rode thunders. Pure nostalgia set up but I will surely use it from time to time...

SMA Natas
Ace 55
OJ 60mm 95a Combos
Rad Rails
OG Cell Block III redrilled
Quantom Metallics

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Period Correct Set Ups.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 03:01:47 PM »

I got sick of looking at this on my wall so just set it up. Probably replace the Ace 55s with Thunder 151s given how wide the wheels are and b/c Natas rode thunders. Pure nostalgia set up but I will surely use it from time to time...

SMA Natas
Ace 55
OJ 60mm 95a Combos
Rad Rails
OG Cell Block III redrilled
Quantom Metallics

That one looks awesome! The idea of period correct set ups is pretty cool imo, especially if it's a time period that holds a special place in your memories or just a favorite era of skating. What made you decide to do this one period correct?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 03:07:01 PM »
Probably just my OCD and this was really the set up I would have liked when I started. I have a few Natas decks hanging on the wall and thought one of them deserved to be set up ridden.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 03:12:36 PM »
Probably just my OCD and this was really the set up I would have liked when I started. I have a few Natas decks hanging on the wall and thought one of them deserved to be set up ridden.

That's why don't get wall hangers, I'd get too tempted to set it up.
Hope it rides as good as it looks. I've thought of doing the same and setting up a board I would have wanted back in the day but I grew up on THPS and Jackass and the idea of getting a heartagram board at almost 30 years old put me off of the idea haha.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »

Cab street mini
ACE 33’s
Santa Cruz slider rails
Wideass Scram 63mm wheels

I had an original Cab street mini when I was a teenager(in 2005 lol) and had wanted another one since I retired it. I recently put the Scram wheels on after having some other modern/normal wheels on it. It has a completely flat and super short nose, but I’ve nollie flipped this thing more than once
fuck you bama

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 03:34:44 PM »

Cab street mini
ACE 33’s
Santa Cruz slider rails

I had an original Cab street mini when I was a teenager(in 2005 lol) and had wanted another one since I retired it. I recently put the Scram wheels on after having some other modern/normal wheels on it. It has a completely flat and super short nose, but I’ve nollie flipped this thing more than once

with these wheels??? respect
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 04:07:31 PM »
Not sure I could do a proper nollie let alone a nollie flip on these boards. Who are you? Chico Brenes?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 05:36:42 PM »
When I think of Natas I always think of OJ freestyles….he was an OG thunder guy too….Aces fit well though. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 05:49:39 PM »
After I finish moving I’ll toss up a mid 90s setup. Still have a Scarecrow deck with Ventures and the first Schaaf Spitfires made.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 05:50:08 PM »
Not sure I could do a proper nollie let alone a nollie flip on these boards. Who are you? Chico Brenes?
nope. Just Tom from Slap
fuck you bama

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 06:01:09 PM »
After I finish moving I’ll toss up a mid 90s setup. Still have a Scarecrow deck with Ventures and the first Schaaf Spitfires made.

Ran a Blind FUK reissue with some Venture 5.8s and some 50mm bones stf. I miss that board.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 12:08:39 AM »
This is an OG 1987 Neil Blender G&S i sold back in November 2021, my little brothers friends uncle found it at a yard sale and got it for him for like $20 or something, i traded him an Alien Workshop deck i got for $24 off a Skate Warehouse sale. I guess its one you don't see too often and i ended up selling it for $500, i think i could've got more but i settled on $500 because the dude drove like 170 miles to come and pick it up.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:30:07 AM by Tom Pearl »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 03:56:07 AM »
loling at the backwards truck on the Blender. Classic.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 05:01:02 AM »

Cab street mini
ACE 33’s
Santa Cruz slider rails

Thanks for posting this.
My first ‘good’ board was a barely used hawk, that had every conceivable plastic part (tail rails, copers, lapper/bird, etc), as well as slimeballs and tracker ultralights. It was sick.
Eventually a few slightly older kids pointed out I should chill in the copers and whatnot and we unbolted a lot of the excess. This led to me trading one of them the hawk deck and trackers for the silver cab, with Indy’s. Cab deck had boneite, which looked like a piece of black construction paper. Mom was bummed. Cab shape was way better.
So thanks for the memories.
I had no concept of a nollie, and it wasn’t till at least another year or two that another kid in town got a chris miller that had a slightly upturned nose (shape was vaguely reminiscent of the Blender posted in this thread, much smaller, much less nose), that we even thought of trying to use the nose for anything.
Blah blah blah old

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 09:24:26 AM »
For posterity, I present the following Chico trick as evidence of his frisky-cat like abilities.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmrjBw7h-Nu/?igshid=ZmMyNmFmZTc%3D

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2022, 09:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For posterity, I present the following Chico trick as evidence of his frisky-cat like abilities.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmrjBw7h-Nu/?igshid=ZmMyNmFmZTc%3D

Sick one Lou. Probably time to listen to Cheeks himself on this matter, (loved this)

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 09:45:56 AM »
This is an OG 1987 Neil Blender G&S i sold back in November 2021, my little brothers friends uncle found it at a yard sale and got it for him for like $20 or something, i traded him an Alien Workshop deck i got for $24 off a Skate Warehouse sale. I guess its one you don't see too often and i ended up selling it for $500, i think i could've got more but i settled on $500 because the dude drove like 170 miles to come and pick it up.

Art of Skateboarding claims this is an 87’ but that doesn’t make sense based on the nose length and double truck mount holes. I thought the Vision Gonz was the first deck to offer 2 nose length options. However, my local did not carry G&S in 88’-89’ so I can’t say for sure.

I think you got a great price for the deck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »
I’m pretty sure Gonz/Vision did it first.  I have the rabid rabbit board which maybe was a series after, my neighbour gave it to me, I skate it every now and then….

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2023, 03:01:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Art of Skateboarding claims this is an 87’ but that doesn’t make sense based on the nose length and double truck mount holes. I thought the Vision Gonz was the first deck to offer 2 nose length options. However, my local did not carry G&S in 88’-89’ so I can’t say for sure.

I think you got a great price for the deck.
Art of Skateboarding is often wrong especially when it comes to that time period. I think they mostly pull their data from old mail order catalogs and then I guess memory. That Blender has to be super late period G&S right before they left to start the Workshop. Double drill is just more evidence that it's more like late 88 early 89. Gonz definitely did it first because by that time he was working with Paul Schmitt at the woodshop they had set up at Vision to get noses longer for nollies and noseblunts and all that good stuff. Schmitt is out by 89 though to do New Deal too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 04:09:59 PM »
First reference I have seen for G&S to do double drill was summer of '90.  This was the Thrasher July 1990

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2023, 04:33:59 PM »
First reference I have seen for G&S to do double drill was summer of '90.  This was the Thrasher July 1990

First Alien Workshop ad was March 91 TWS so it probably hit stands Jan 91 and was put together late 1990 so 1990 is the likely release year for that Blender. Footage comes out in 1990 too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Krizzinger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2023, 03:04:30 AM »
Great idea for this thread and very nice setups - I would like to see more, please!

This is a reissue of my first pro board I bought in 1988. It is a little different to the "original", the deck colour was red, the Gullwings still had plastic baseplates and the OJ's were in 92a - but I'm nevertheless satisfied...

Rob Roskopp target V
Gullwings Super Pro III
OJII Teamrider 61mm/97a
Rib Bones Rails
SKF Bearings

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 03:58:21 AM by Krizzinger »

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2023, 10:17:25 AM »
Love seeing the Speedwheels on here...

Moving on to the 90s... Bit of stretch to call this period correct but its the closest I could/wanted to get.

Cross post from Set up thread.

8.75" Grimple Slick (Flyer shape)
Af1 44s with stock bushings but might replace with Hard Ace as who wanted to turn in the 90s...?
50mm 101A Classic Lil Smokies. Mix match of old fucked up bearings.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2023, 01:02:33 PM »
So with the Indy stage IV reissues coming out, I started thinking about a period correct 1985 street set up but tweaked with some of the info we know now. For example, wheels were mostly too big and Gonz and Natas ran freestyle wheels, smaller wheels means smaller or no risers which affect pop angle or that most wheelbases were way too big for anything but huge transition (and even then I wonder if Cab was really riding those big ass boards when he was so small.)

Basically, I'm thinking of getting some freestyle wheels and then drilling the wheelbase back to 14.25 on something like the Lance Mountain Future Primitive deck. It'd be really dope if I could find a board that had been reissued that was from right before the fish shape took over but those don't seem to be out there. Flipping through Thrashers the other night it seemed like 1985 was the switch to fish tail shapes and the emergence of money bumps. In 84 most decks were still pretty pig shaped.