Author Topic: Stussy Vancour video color grading  (Read 283 times)

moshandwallies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Stussy Vancour video color grading
« on: March 23, 2024, 04:16:51 AM »

fisheye talk

• Rep: 0
Re: Stussy Vancour video color grading
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 06:21:57 AM »
I´d say they are using a diffusion filter or some post processing technique to get something similar in post.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 08:14:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3WAExF6DcA&ab_channel=St%C3%BCssy

Any idea how to achieve this look?

Done in Resolve from what I can tell. Using what seems to be basic built in FX. Download the free trail and give it ago. Seems like some sort of film emulation effect, possibly 16mm

moshandwallies

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 07:33:05 PM »
Mm yeah maybe I’ll fuck around with Davinci. Somehow I feel like I can’t achieve these colors in premiere or at least I’m not satisfied with how they turn out.
Thanks!

Shtonk

• Rep: -282
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 01:07:31 AM »
"Glow" FX is your friend but not sure that's available in the free Davinci version (exists in AE as well, Premiere doesnt have it but there are good YT tutorials to fake it in Premiere). There's an even better one in the paid Davinci Studio Version called "Halation" and the best is in a plugin called filmconvert Nitrate. But tbh this effect looks a little more bespoke and looks like what Benny Maglinao is doing to the FA stuff. I've heard he has a setup that feeds the Clip into an old TV and films it off that, which sounds like a big thing to set up but once in place is probably quicker than what you'd have to do digitally to really nail this look. Purely creatively I think this look is so strongly Maglinao's that you'll always look like an uninspired ripoff when copying it.

moshandwallies

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 02:48:25 AM »
"Glow" FX is your friend but not sure that's available in the free Davinci version (exists in AE as well, Premiere doesnt have it but there are good YT tutorials to fake it in Premiere). There's an even better one in the paid Davinci Studio Version called "Halation" and the best is in a plugin called filmconvert Nitrate. But tbh this effect looks a little more bespoke and looks like what Benny Maglinao is doing to the FA stuff. I've heard he has a setup that feeds the Clip into an old TV and films it off that, which sounds like a big thing to set up but once in place is probably quicker than what you'd have to do digitally to really nail this look. Purely creatively I think this look is so strongly Maglinao's that you'll always look like an uninspired ripoff when copying it.

Agree on the last part even tho this video looks like more a super8 emulation instead of a copy of the classic Benny look. Sometimes I want to achieve the look just to understand how it is made, maybe I’ll never use it but still I want to know how it’s done. On Premiere I have a plugin called Dehancer which includes both Glow and Halation.

Where did you get that information about Benny Maglinao? Dude is my absolute favorite, I know he filmed off the old TV on videos like Dancing on Thin Ice and I'm pretty sure he films off a more modern TV on videos like Joe’s last part or Hockey X.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:02:32 AM by moshandwallies »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 05:46:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree on the last part even tho this video looks like more a super8 emulation instead of a copy of the classic Benny look. Sometimes I want to achieve the look just to understand how it is made, maybe I’ll never use it but still I want to know how it’s done. On Premiere I have a plugin called Dehancer which includes both Glow and Halation.

Where did you get that information about Benny Maglinao? Dude is my absolute favorite, I know he filmed off the old TV on videos like Dancing on Thin Ice and I'm pretty sure he films off a more modern TV on videos like Joe’s last part or Hockey X.

I was coming to post it looks like dehancer. Flick through some film stocks and you’ll get close. Looks pretty simple. then just adjust your contrast, and blacks / shadows. Resolve is way better at coloring but has no visible look inherent to it that prem can’t achieve. It’s just a better NLE though.

There’s a Benny ‘Heckride’ interview you’d like. He rescans tvs for sure. I do it for my own work and it got me amped on Benny when I saw him using it as I love the effect.  If you like editing and vid stuff I’d say buy a cheap crt and a hdmi to composite box to mess around with, it’s super fun.