Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173646 times)

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 116
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1020 on: March 02, 2023, 02:32:01 PM »
Big wheels are ugly

Saw a kid mashing around the city Ollieing up curbs speed checking etc on some worn down like 44mm f4s shit gave me a lil chubby
  ???

The Mexican Nancy Chin

« Reply #1021 on: March 02, 2023, 02:37:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Big wheels are ugly

Saw a kid mashing around the city Ollieing up curbs speed checking etc on some worn down like 44mm f4s shit gave me a lil chubby
[close]

I go back and forth on whether or not i like the big wheel look, especially because its so common now. I think its dependent on the skater/setup honestly. I REALLY hate when dudes have super worn big wheels and dont rotate them so they're all super different sizes. I also think the big wheels with sharp edges/conical sides are harder to make look good than wheels with round edges

But you're out of your mind if you think sub 50mm looks good, that shit is gross.
[close]

big wheels on sub 9" boards look so stupid. makes your deck look like a monster truck. and not in any good way. even on bigger boards small wheels look better. nothing beats some sub 50mm wheels on a big board.

its just that small wheels suck to skate on...
Can someone please explain what the logic was behind skating really small wheels in the 90's? I wasn't around back then and have always been curious about that. I assume it has to do with most people switching from vert to street but why go that small?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1022 on: March 02, 2023, 02:41:29 PM »
I was there….spite…..

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2023, 02:44:45 PM »
Less rotational weight for flips and shit was the basic premise.
Less material, hence less manufacturing cost, while still charging the same price, was likely a motivating factor for the wheel makers.  not to mention, they had to be replaced more frequently.
Real used to sell their "Real Small Wheels" in 6 packs, for the same price everybody else was charging for 4, which was pretty decent, all things considered.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

The Mexican Nancy Chin

« Reply #1024 on: March 02, 2023, 02:48:41 PM »
Less material, hence less manufacturing cost, while still charging the same price, was likely a motivating factor for the wheel makers.  not to mention, they had to be replaced more frequently.
Real used to sell their "Real Small Wheels" in 6 packs, for the same price everybody else was charging for 4, which was pretty decent, all things considered.
Thank you, that was well explained. I was kinda prepared to get solely sarcastic answers
I was there….spite…..
I also assumed this was part of the reason. Definitely the reason for a lot of trends

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1025 on: March 02, 2023, 03:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Big wheels are ugly

[close]

I go back and forth on whether or not i like the big wheel look, especially because its so common now. I think its dependent on the skater/setup honestly. I REALLY hate when dudes have super worn big wheels and dont rotate them so they're all super different sizes. I also think the big wheels with sharp edges/conical sides are harder to make look good than wheels with round edges

But you're out of your mind if you think sub 50mm looks good, that shit is gross.

I've never ridden anything over 55mm so it's hard to comment on the pros/cons of it. From a purely aesthetic perspective, big wheels do look better on bigger boards. I personally like the way Deedz and Kader's boards look, but I also understand why people wouldn't be into it. I actually just started riding the Spitfire Formula 4s Conical Fulls and it took me a bit to get used to how they looked and felt but now I'm into it.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #1026 on: March 02, 2023, 04:25:46 PM »
^^ I just set up some conical fulls and am also trying to get used to them. They feel like monster truck wheels even though they’re only 54.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #1027 on: March 02, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »
The two kinds of hardflips and fs flips should be separate tricks.

Like if someone does that ugly pressure hardflip shove it thing in a game of skate, I should be able to take the letter and do an actual nice hardflip, giving that guy a letter and making him feel bad about it.

Another argument in favor of this: I can switch hardflip both ways and it's oh so different.

For me those are as different as impossible and 360shove.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1028 on: March 02, 2023, 04:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thank you, that was well explained. I was kinda prepared to get solely sarcastic answers
Expand Quote
I was there….spite…..
[close]
I also assumed this was part of the reason. Definitely the reason for a lot of trends

It was the progression of skating to become more technical, it was easier on smaller, lighter boards that popped quicker.  Trend wise though it was one of the many push backs from a younger generation (this is the spite part) …..and the industry seeing an opportunity to sell stuff….the it was just the norm…..

switchfakie

« Reply #1029 on: March 02, 2023, 06:37:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Big wheels are ugly

[close]

[close]

big wheels on sub 9" boards look so stupid. makes your deck look like a monster truck. and not in any good way. even on bigger boards small wheels look better. nothing beats some sub 50mm wheels on a big board.

its just that small wheels suck to skate on...

i agree it looks weird ( i have 56mms on a 8.5) - but the benefit of going way faster with bigger wheels outweighs any stigma of my board looking weird

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1030 on: March 02, 2023, 06:42:32 PM »

Like if someone does that ugly pressure hardflip shove it thing in a game of skate, I should be able to take the letter and do an actual nice hardflip, giving that guy a letter and making him feel bad about it.

Another argument in favor of this: I can switch hardflip both ways and it's oh so different.

When I started skating and didn't know anything we would call any type of illusion flip a hardflip (frontside flip would be 180 hardflip, inward heel would be backside hardflip etc) and the proper flip ones we would call front shove it kickflip or something. I think we thought the "hard" was because you had to pop hard to make it go over vertically and hadn't figured out you could actually pop the other tricks higher than an inch off the ground.
I'm down for them to be counted as two seperate things. I actually don't even think ones all that much worse than the other just a different trick.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: March 02, 2023, 07:16:06 PM »
If it’s relates to a game of skate, if it’s offensive then you better make sure you can do it shitty too, or if it’s defensive, the poor style falls within the margin for error……

So I’d just agree to disagree about the whole dumb thing…..

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1032 on: March 03, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »
if it’s offensive then you better make sure you can do it shitty too
the problem is when you can only do the proper version but it's a hard trick for you at the same time, while the illusion/pressure flippers usually have that shit on lock.

it's just a game of skate though so whatever

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1033 on: March 03, 2023, 09:45:32 PM »

A little off topic:

I can sw fs flip, nollie bs flip and sw hardflip the ugly way. Learned it in the 90s when it was acceptable, felt ashamed for it a long time and now do them on and off and dont have them super consistent. I more or less accepted the fate that I ll never do them the nice and proper way. Have you learned it later? And if so, do you have any tips?

Thank you,
from an almost 40 year old avid illusion flipper from the 90s

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1034 on: March 03, 2023, 10:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A little off topic:

I can sw fs flip, nollie bs flip and sw hardflip the ugly way. Learned it in the 90s when it was acceptable, felt ashamed for it a long time and now do them on and off and dont have them super consistent. I more or less accepted the fate that I ll never do them the nice and proper way. Have you learned it later? And if so, do you have any tips?

Thank you,
from an almost 40 year old avid illusion flipper from the 90s

I still think the Penny style fs flips look better than modern ones and am currently trying to relearn them that way.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1035 on: March 04, 2023, 12:12:08 AM »
Yeah penny/muska/90's style front slide flips look better to me too.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1036 on: March 04, 2023, 02:33:35 AM »
Tricks are for kids.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

dannyprovolone

« Reply #1037 on: March 04, 2023, 04:06:55 AM »
oh hell yeah! a discussion about frontside flips! we should talk about our favorite skaters next

Terminal

« Reply #1038 on: March 05, 2023, 10:35:16 AM »
More of a question than an opinion but do you think Cariuma will be normalised in skateboarding like Nike etc? I remember the net resistance to Nike back whenever it was and look at them now. Still feels weird to me seeing them (and other running shoe brands) and would never buy them but each to their own. Seeing more and more Cariumas in the wild (and on good skaters) so it appears the same thing might be happening.

Terminal

« Reply #1039 on: March 05, 2023, 10:37:37 AM »
oh hell yeah! a discussion about frontside flips! we should talk about our favorite skaters next
Mine is probably Jerry or Cairo, but definitely not Alfonso.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1040 on: March 05, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »
More of a question than an opinion but do you think Cariuma will be normalised in skateboarding like Nike etc? I remember the net resistance to Nike back whenever it was and look at them now. Still feels weird to me seeing them (and other running shoe brands) and would never buy them but each to their own. Seeing more and more Cariumas in the wild (and on good skaters) so it appears the same thing might be happening.

prolly not cus berra

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #1041 on: March 05, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »
Big wheels are ugly

You saw a little kid skating. You liked it and it gave you an erection?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1042 on: March 05, 2023, 10:54:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Big wheels are ugly

[close]

foreal 😂 mega pause on that one

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1043 on: March 05, 2023, 10:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Big wheels are ugly

[close]

[close]

foreal 😂 mega pause on that one
In my defense he was like 20 and the chubby was metaphorical. Not nearly as weird as when I saw a 13 year old mashing in the bike lane trying every single flatground trick he knew full speed and I said "wuddup king" to him while i skated by

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1044 on: March 05, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »
Thing is whatever you thought of them Nike had BA, P-rod, Janoski and Gino while Cariuma has Jagger Eaton, Skategoat, Garret Ginner and a 53 year old Mike V. Plus I don't think many people thought Nike was an uncool brand, it was just pretty antithetical to skateboarding, whereas Cariumas look like complete ass.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1045 on: March 05, 2023, 04:46:23 PM »

I think it’s more likely that the type of skaters Cariuma sponsor are normalized and they bring the shoes with them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1192
« Reply #1046 on: March 05, 2023, 05:23:56 PM »
I don’t really care if Kader switches board brands.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1047 on: March 05, 2023, 11:30:36 PM »
I could never force myself to watch Koston parts because his style is so bad i understand he's a legend and all ability wise but i could just never care

Edit: i forced myself to watch a jagger eaton part to compare their styles but i ended up enjoying a lot of the tricks because i watched it on mute and ignored the garbage broll, the ender for his berrics part is absolutely nuts i hate that i enjoyed as many of the tricks as i did

Did he have really good style relative to others early on in his career? Carroll still looked great relative to his peers for an insane amount of time i tried to watch kostons yeah right part and it looked like shit i had to turn it off like two minutes in, just a human bussup machine he's a hammer machine but who likes watching his shit, honestly arguably like one tier above jagger eaton in style

Edit 2: jesus the way he sets up his nollie tricks makes me feel a way i never want to feel again, feet like two inches apart which should be cool and very fresh but he makes every nollie trick look like a looney tunes character jumping on a chair to get away from a mouse
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 11:52:12 PM by Sizzle »

elegant_fox

« Reply #1048 on: March 06, 2023, 08:13:13 AM »
Do the hesh vs fresh debates still happen? I feel like my local scene is living in a post-era where anything goes really. The only brands I’ve seen develop a stink around here is FA/Hockey.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
« Reply #1049 on: March 06, 2023, 09:46:40 AM »
When it comes to making a living, money talks and people who choose to ride for Cariuma probably aren’t actually kooks.

Still would buy any skateable sneaker from Nordstrom Rack over some Cariuma’s though.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion