Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173080 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1170 on: March 20, 2023, 11:53:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What do local shops have to do with the quality of your scene? Do people hang out there all the time? Do they throw contests? Do they make sure talented kids have gear? I’m not asking a rhetorical question I’m genuinely curious why people think supporting their local is important
[close]

Have you seriously never been to your local skate shop? I already saw someone replied to your post, but the main thing is they are run by actual skateboarders. Usually if there are contest, they can help host them. Hopefully if they have filmers, they would make a local skate video. If you were to get sponsored from a skate shop, it’s a good start to step into the industry.
[close]

So I’m morally obligated to spend 30-50% more on everything because they might have somebody on their team might break into the industry by being on the team? Everybody has iPhones and ig now I don’t think it’s that hard to get clips anymore
[close]
Agreed. It’s silly to me that people apply their own situation to everyone as if it were gospel. I’m willing to bet that more often than not, most people: live too far away from a ‘local’, see that prices at the local are exponentially higher, and possibly have staff that unfortunately have negative biases against customers based on certain skill levels, looks, brands that are purchased that may not be ‘cool’ , and amount spent to name a few that may make the ‘local’ a hostile and shitty place. Especially if your ‘local’ IS owned by a pro for clout and has almost no hardware inventory but tons of overpriced boutique clothing and dunk raffles.
And for what? To fulfill some shop owner’s dream? Bc Maybe three kids that you have never met or will never skate with will get a salary bc you buy a deck every month? To rent a hot dog cart for a competition or demo you have no interest in going to? It’s not my problem that 90 percent of shops can’t pay employees a living wage- they shouldn’t have opened to begin with if that’s the case.   
If you need or like having that sense of community or you’re in a scene that regularly supports ppl getting flowed or having upward mobility in skating that’s great. That situation does not exist everywhere and/or people don’t care to put up with higher prices and a possible toxic community if it does. Lastly, between school for children and work for adults, who the fuck has time to sit at a shop and watch Thrasher youtube videos all day with some fucking dude behind the counter wearing Carrhart overalls and a Dime cap rolling his eyes at kids buying Grizzly grip just so you can have ‘community’? I’m too busy skating after work for that shit. Fucking losers rofl.
[close]

If you guys don't understand the value (economic and otherwise) of supporting small local businesses vs giant online stores in the year 2023, just do a quick google search for me please. I'm not explaining all of that.

I'm not saying shop employees never "cool-guy" anyone, that shit is lame and I would hope shops hire more welcoming people.

But WHAT IF, and this is a huge "WHAT IF", you're just a fucking kook so they treat you like one?
[close]

i could give less fucks about help stimulating my local economy. that's honestly the only reason you should even support a local business. im not gonna re-evaluate my outlook on saving money just to help out some dudes ive never skated with nor have the desire to skate with

also being cool guyed isnt a good feeling when youre in the shop for the sole purpose of trying to help them out by shopping there

ofc its a case by case basis, but to force the idea "you must support your local shop" is something stupid that the skateboarding hivemind have come up with
[close]

You must not have heard of "Two Felons"
[close]

Explain habibi

It was a shop with shitty owners that people were encouraged NOT to support

vinithebr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
« Reply #1171 on: March 20, 2023, 12:26:35 PM »
I support my local shop but holy shit everything is so expensive there

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1172 on: March 20, 2023, 01:31:17 PM »
Damn I can really tell who in this thread is so fucken sick that they've just never been cool guyed in their life lol. Pretending cool-guying doesn't exist is so dumb.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1201
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1173 on: March 20, 2023, 03:03:17 PM »
But if no one cool-guyed, how would we be able to distinguish who the cool guys are?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #1174 on: March 20, 2023, 03:34:13 PM »
Damn I can really tell who in this thread is so fucken sick that they've just never been cool guyed in their life lol. Pretending cool-guying doesn't exist is so dumb.
Some people don't know skateshop etiquette.
You have to be the cool guy. Walk into skateshop, take what you want, put the exact money on the counter and leave without acknowledging anyone.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1175 on: March 20, 2023, 05:36:40 PM »
you guys know you can always just quietly do whatever the fuck you want right?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #1176 on: March 20, 2023, 05:44:35 PM »

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you might be the asshole".

Obviously cool-guying exists, but almost anytime I've met someone who complains about it being a constant problem, it's usually because that person just isn't very pleasant.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1177 on: March 20, 2023, 07:50:17 PM »
I’m sorry to hear this.
There are some nice small shops in Tokyo, but the scene can be really intimidating too. I know the type of shop you’re talking about. Not friendly at all.

Fabric is a good one if you get a chance, but it’s fucking tiny. But they treat their customers well if you have questions.

It’s a bit far away, but BQ in Oyama in Tochigi is really good too. Most of the shops where I am in Nagano do a good job of being polite and creating a local scene.

And if Murasaki sports does a better job than your locals (I don’t shop there because they don’t carry anything over 8.5) then go to them.

Exactly. It's the same reason I don't buy decks in Murasaki. I only ride 10" old school boards or 9" eggs so Murasaki is not an option ;D If I go to Kanagawa some day I will go to Fabric. Thank you!!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #1178 on: March 21, 2023, 12:44:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m sorry to hear this.
There are some nice small shops in Tokyo, but the scene can be really intimidating too. I know the type of shop you’re talking about. Not friendly at all.

Fabric is a good one if you get a chance, but it’s fucking tiny. But they treat their customers well if you have questions.

It’s a bit far away, but BQ in Oyama in Tochigi is really good too. Most of the shops where I am in Nagano do a good job of being polite and creating a local scene.

And if Murasaki sports does a better job than your locals (I don’t shop there because they don’t carry anything over 8.5) then go to them.
[close]

Exactly. It's the same reason I don't buy decks in Murasaki. I only ride 10" old school boards or 9" eggs so Murasaki is not an option ;D If I go to Kanagawa some day I will go to Fabric. Thank you!!

And there’s always R-H!
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

quackquack

• Rep: -401
« Reply #1179 on: March 21, 2023, 12:56:20 AM »
What do local shops have to do with the quality of your scene? Do people hang out there all the time? Do they throw contests? Do they make sure talented kids have gear? I’m not asking a rhetorical question I’m genuinely curious why people think supporting their local is important

My local used to do all that.

I still thought most of the employees were chodes, double so now that I'm an adult.

Skateboarders are just like the rest of humans - mostly douchebags who only do things out of self interest
Oh, the places you'll go.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1180 on: March 21, 2023, 01:28:33 AM »
I want to hear people define getting “cool guyed”.

I imagine it’s like people giving off a shitty vibe in a skateshop because they think you’re not cool enough to be there? Seems like a bad way to do business and beggars can’t be choosers if you’re a niche retail store with tons of competition.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1181 on: March 21, 2023, 02:19:36 AM »
I think it's not so much a case of people getting "cool-guyed" but most people in shops at least locally for me don't have much going for them in the way of basic social skills or customer service ability

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1182 on: March 21, 2023, 02:47:45 AM »
i can’t remember ever being “cool guyed” at a shop and i’m a gigantic kook.

for most of my adult life i’ve made the vast majority of skate purchases online out of sheer laziness and frugality, only going to shops if i really needed something like a board or other hardware or i’m visiting a shop in another state. but generally skate shops are good places and totally worthy of support. there was a shop by me (r.i.p. fobia) growing up and i would go there literally EVERYDAY, not even buy anything, just hang out and watch videos. other than putting on events, propping up local scenes, skate shops are simply worth having as a physical place to go and be and look at things. like music stores and book stores, it would be sad to see skate shops go away.

IpathCats

« Reply #1183 on: March 21, 2023, 05:36:11 AM »

When you posted this, i dont think anyone had denied the existence of cool-guying

Since posting, @apport  has only said that he can't remember ever being cool-guy'd, even as a self admitted kook.

So I'm not sure who you are referring to.

Are these cool-guy deniers in the room with us right now?

switchfakie

« Reply #1184 on: March 21, 2023, 06:18:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When you posted this, i dont think anyone had denied the existence of cool-guying

Since posting, @apport  has only said that he can't remember ever being cool-guy'd, even as a self admitted kook.

i second this, i cant seem to find any cool guy deniers in this thread

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #1185 on: March 21, 2023, 06:31:23 AM »
the GH looking person at kcdc cool guy'd me once cause I walked in with a supreme bag.  I asked if they had 53mm spitfire tabs but they only had 54mm.  whatever, close enough.  can you believe they then sold them to me?  never going back 

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #1186 on: March 21, 2023, 08:19:52 AM »
I feel like I would be considered an ultra kook by many but I've never had a bad experience at a local shop. The one closest to me unfortunately closed like 5 years ago but the owner was a super cool dude. I actually ran into him at my job last summer and thanked him for supplying me with my first board and supporting the local scene for so long. The other shop I've been going to is a little further away but they do a lot to support the community. John Gardner held an event there last fall to honor a close friend who unfortunately passed away by displaying some of his art and a new board that featured a graphic his late friend designed. I'm not super involved with my local scene and don't know many of the skaters but I'm more than willing to support shops who do shit like that

My unpopular (but probably not that unpopular) opinion for 2023 is that fat shoes are infinitely better than skinny ass Dylan Rieder-adjacent shit. As much as I think shoes like last resorts are clean and classy enough to wear out for special occasions, I don't understand why anybody wants to destroy their feet just so they can feel every individual piece of grit on their griptape. Anybody who prefers janoskis, authentics, or anything along those lines over a fat cupsole like the Tiago 808s, accels, or classic DCs is mentally ill and should speak to a therapist about why they hate their feet so much

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #1187 on: March 21, 2023, 08:29:31 AM »
I feel like I would be considered an ultra kook by many but I've never had a bad experience at a local shop. The one closest to me unfortunately closed like 5 years ago but the owner was a super cool dude. I actually ran into him at my job last summer and thanked him for supplying me with my first board and supporting the local scene for so long. The other shop I've been going to is a little further away but they do a lot to support the community. John Gardner held an event there last fall to honor a close friend who unfortunately passed away by displaying some of his art and a new board that featured a graphic his late friend designed. I'm not super involved with my local scene and don't know many of the skaters but I'm more than willing to support shops who do shit like that

My unpopular (but probably not that unpopular) opinion for 2023 is that fat shoes are infinitely better than skinny ass Dylan Rieder-adjacent shit. As much as I think shoes like last resorts are clean and classy enough to wear out for special occasions, I don't understand why anybody wants to destroy their feet just so they can feel every individual piece of grit on their griptape. Anybody who prefers janoskis, authentics, or anything along those lines over a fat cupsole like the Tiago 808s, accels, or classic DCs is mentally ill and should speak to a therapist about why they hate their feet so much

Lrab with footprints are nicer on my feet than stock fat cupsoles

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #1188 on: March 21, 2023, 08:40:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lrab with footprints are nicer on my feet than stock fat cupsoles

I had a pair of footprint shoes years ago but they felt super cheap and gross. In general though I hate vulc shoes because I always roll my ankles a lot in them. As my capsules gradually got fatter, the less I rolled my ankles. In dunks and Air Force 2s it only happened occasionally, but it almost never happens in my accels. I still need to try footprint insoles though

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1189 on: March 21, 2023, 08:55:14 AM »

I personally don't wear fat cupsoles because I just can't make them look good. My local shop has the Tiago's and they feel amazing on my feet but they just don't look good on me. The bigger shoes look good with really baggy pants and I tend to wear relaxed tapered fit pants so they get bunched up on top of the shoe instead of covering them which sets off my OCD like crazy. I like skating the NB 440 highs and Louie Cons with a custom high arch support orthotic insole and it works out well for me. Perhaps I am mentally ill though.... 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #1190 on: March 21, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »
I know this sounds shitty, but if you’re an adult, no twenty-something with six roommates making minimum wage in a skateshop should be able to “coolguy” you.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1191 on: March 21, 2023, 10:05:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Okay nah you guys are right. i went over the top. What i meant was that saying shit like 'you only get cool-guyed if you're a kook' or whatever is dumb. I often type things and then realise the next day my post was kinda off target haha

IpathCats

« Reply #1192 on: March 21, 2023, 10:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay nah you guys are right. i went over the top. What i meant was that saying shit like 'you only get cool-guyed if you're a kook' or whatever is dumb. I often type things and then realise the next day my post was kinda off target haha

Gnar'd for being real with yourself.

switchfakie

« Reply #1193 on: March 21, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Gnar'd for being real with yourself.

i gnar'd you as well, but bc im not a pal, i gnar'd you ... in my heart ♥

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1194 on: March 21, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
I know this sounds shitty, but if you’re an adult, no twenty-something with six roommates making minimum wage in a skateshop should be able to “coolguy” you.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1195 on: March 21, 2023, 04:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
looking down on someone for their income level or living situation is even more dickheaded than bad customer service at a skate shop

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1196 on: March 21, 2023, 05:20:42 PM »
not sure what universe this is but if a 20 something skate rat can't cool guy you.....it's not skateboarding...

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1197 on: March 21, 2023, 07:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
looking down on someone for their income level or living situation is even more dickheaded than bad customer service at a skate shop
I’m not looking down on someone for their income level, I’m looking at myself and saying I don’t need to be made to feel lame by some kid. Id feel the same way if Nyjah Houston were behind the counter.

switchfakie

« Reply #1198 on: March 21, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »
not sure what universe this is but if a 20 something skate rat can't cool guy you.....it's not skateboarding...

yeh - at this point its a birthright - the same way anybody who can back 3 is automatically cooler than you

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1199 on: March 21, 2023, 08:49:38 PM »
i just hate getting cool-guyed by rich kids. if working class kids can cool-guy me then more power to 'em