Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173225 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2023, 11:09:33 AM »
Expand Quote
I think Jagger Eaton and John Cardiel have a very similar style. Lanky arms, hunched over, open palms.
[close]

the sheer audacity to put those two in the same sentence together...
One of last year’s SLS contests Jagger did a switch front feeble one eighty on a kinked, square rail. Not a fan of the dude but that trick was fucking bonkers.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2023, 11:14:54 AM »
I don't even think being old is an excuse to get crazy with your set up. I cringe when i see older guys skating and they have like an andy-anderson deck with some huge crazy colored wheels, a flyaway helmet with 25 different powell stickers on it, a t-shirt that says 'HAVE YOU SEEN HIM' and a full set of salba-style zebra print pads, including wrist guards, and then they are just barely doing kickturns. You probably don't see that kind of thing very often outside of socal but it's pretty common here.

I know some really, really good 50+ skaters and they definitely keep it mellow with their setups and outfits compared to the 'i just retired and returned to skateboarding after 30 years in the LAPD' crowd.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2023, 11:32:38 AM »
I don't even think being old is an excuse to get crazy with your set up. I cringe when i see older guys skating and they have like an andy-anderson deck with some huge crazy colored wheels, a flyaway helmet with 25 different powell stickers on it, a t-shirt that says 'HAVE YOU SEEN HIM' and a full set of salba-style zebra print pads, including wrist guards, and then they are just barely doing kickturns. You probably don't see that kind of thing very often outside of socal but it's pretty common here.

I know some really, really good 50+ skaters and they definitely keep it mellow with their setups and outfits compared to the 'i just retired and returned to skateboarding after 30 years in the LAPD' crowd.
Yeah the Powell fetish is lame. Same goes for 80s decks. If you want to ride an eighties deck knock yourself out but don’t try telling me it’s because it’s easier to ride. Because they are not. I’ve seen too many dickheads go on Reddit forums and recommend them to beginners, I’m like that’s fucked up to push your weird agenda on noobs.

And those curb setups are dumb. One time we were at a curb spot and this old head rolls up. He’s got like 9.5 with tiny wheels and extremely loose trucks. Poor guy could barely stay on top of the thing and I think I saw him roll away from one very inept slappy. Most of those slappy Sunday guys who actually shred curbs ride pretty normal setups with rails added.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2023, 11:57:04 AM »
John shanahan might not skate exactly like Chris cole but they have the exact same style

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2023, 12:03:17 PM »
My setup is pretty simple even though I got my specifics, big wheels cause the ground here sucks and short wheelbase cause I'm small'ish. 8.25 but it feels like an 8.

From time to time I do get a bit fancy, hardware color can help you identify the nose, and if I chip my board I sand it down but while at that I get a bit creative with the new shape.

I'm rocking black wheels right now but I half regret it, it's pretty bold with red bearings and red trucks but I miss lighter colors.

Returning to skateboarding after you retired is fine, better late than never.

thebacker

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2023, 12:06:55 PM »
John shanahan might not skate exactly like Chris cole but they have the exact same style

hahahahahaha this rules honestly

have you ever seen the pic of chris cole at fdr back in the day lookin like shanahan

IpathCats

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2023, 12:21:27 PM »

I can see some similarities but

.....Nah

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2023, 12:23:24 PM »
They may have the same complexion and taste in breakfast cereals as well…..it’s all very possible but….nah…

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah the Powell fetish is lame. Same goes for 80s decks. If you want to ride an eighties deck knock yourself out but don’t try telling me it’s because it’s easier to ride. Because they are not. I’ve seen too many dickheads go on Reddit forums and recommend them to beginners, I’m like that’s fucked up to push your weird agenda on noobs.

And those curb setups are dumb. One time we were at a curb spot and this old head rolls up. He’s got like 9.5 with tiny wheels and extremely loose trucks. Poor guy could barely stay on top of the thing and I think I saw him roll away from one very inept slappy. Most of those slappy Sunday guys who actually shred curbs ride pretty normal setups with rails added.

Agree with both things. There's a few exceptions, but for the most part I think specialty set ups are pointless for the average skater. In most cases you're better off skating a board  most comfortable to you and just practicing more. If you're just skating that stuff cuz you like it, cool, but we don't have to pretend that those Dragon Wheels are really helping you ride through this million dollar skatepark.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

.....Nah

Chris cole’s upper body is more all over the place but the way they set up in uncannily similar. They both pull their shoulders back, keep their head straight to keep their upper body directly over the middle of the board and kinda lock up their shoulders if they aren’t spinning. I started doing the same thing when I was skating a short WB board (I’m 6ft like Cole) just to keep it under me on flip tricks. Makes you super consistent and perfectly balanced but it makes your style looks weird. Pretty sure it has something to do with them both skating tiny boards and being taller guys

IpathCats

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2023, 12:31:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

.....Nah
[close]

Chris cole’s upper body is more all over the place but the way they set up in uncannily similar. They both pull their shoulders back, keep their head straight to keep their upper body directly over the middle of the board and kinda lock up their shoulders if they aren’t spinning. I started doing the same thing when I was skating a short WB board (I’m 6ft like Cole) just to keep it under me on flip tricks. Makes you super consistent and perfectly balanced but it makes your style looks weird. Pretty sure it has something to do with them both skating tiny boards and being taller guys

i def see the similarities, but chris cole has awful style, and john shannahan looks great on a board.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2023, 12:34:58 PM »
People who are ambidextrous and can skate with both feet the same should quit so I get less confused. Not like P-Rod, he is a God among men. I’m talking that one New York kid who set out to Go pro. He can just quit.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2023, 12:39:01 PM »
I'm rocking black wheels right now but I half regret it, it's pretty bold with red bearings and red trucks but I miss lighter colors.

Dude, ew.  Cmon.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2023, 12:55:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agree with both things. There's a few exceptions, but for the most part I think specialty set ups are pointless for the average skater. In most cases you're better off skating a board  most comfortable to you and just practicing more. If you're just skating that stuff cuz you like it, cool, but we don't have to pretend that those Dragon Wheels are really helping you ride through this million dollar skatepark.
I have dragon wheels and as much as I like them on asphalt they are slow and terrible at the park.

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2023, 01:04:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

are you aware of the Dragon situation?

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2023, 01:10:42 PM »
dragon deez nuts across ya chin

switchfakie

« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
Expand Quote
A clap, a light board tap, and a highfive/fist bump is enough for like 95% of things. Extravagant celebrations are annoying.
[close]

You forgot the hug.

he also forget a lil smooch. always kiss your homies after they land their trick yo

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2023, 02:37:49 PM »
This year's going to be a good year.
Most people I been talking to in the streets disagree.

I have a bunch of art supplies coming. I got like 8' or canvas. New brushes and proper cans. 
The dragon wheels are sick AF. Just extremely dangerous in damp conditions. I'll figure it out.  I have 4 new curb spots and several new trick variations. I plan to keep tending these curbs daily abd get a new phone so I can start filming stuff. I really need some help tho. My strength is in my lines not my lame little singles.
My band has upcoming shows lined up already. Plans to play out with everyone who asks. We're going in to galaxy park soon to record our first album and 7". Getting them pressed into vinyl and doing tapes.
Tours will definitely be happening. I'm going to have to figure out how to organize that part.

I been having a tough time getting things accomplished besides skating last like month. Everything is going to change this year.

I believe the war will be over by September too.

Also I found a nice ass ledge next town over.

Good year this will be
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2023, 04:11:03 PM »
What do some of u setup purists think of this guy?

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

69woodpusher69

• Rep: 3
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2023, 04:17:52 PM »
fuck, that dude rips

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2023, 04:38:46 PM »
That was awesome!
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2023, 06:18:20 PM »
Absolutely one of the best and most interesting skaters of this generation.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2023, 07:25:24 PM »
What do some of u setup purists think of this guy?

I think Winkowski is super sick but it's hard to deny a large part of his popularity is the novelty of him riding an 80s deck and a lot of his street tricks are only notable because he's not doing it on a popsicle.

Heshrat

• Rep: -12
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2023, 08:16:17 PM »
Super loose trucks, like about to fall off, can only be pulled off by some skaters. It doesn’t make your style better automatically
I did your mom

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2023, 08:48:40 PM »
Super loose trucks, like about to fall off, can only be pulled off by some skaters. It doesn’t make your style better automatically

The most stylish skater I know, rollersurfer, skates Nyjah-tight trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2023, 08:51:16 PM »
I recommend a single coloured wheel……..
3&1 = sacred geometry

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2023, 09:28:45 PM »
1. Switch ollie in the beginning was baffling, can he not skate switch?
2. That shit was lame, the most impressive trick was him lipsliding a four stair, and that was only cool because his board is unnecessarily huge and heavy, so fundamentally just gimmicky
3. Would literally rather watch Ben K footage any day and I’m not a Ben K fan, that dudes gimmick is like 600x better than that shit

Now that I think about it, any shape without a nose is fucking stupid. Front noseslides are literally the best feeling ledge trick out there and you want me to pay to ride a setup without a nose? Why? I would focus my deck if I snapped the nose off, why does Santa Cruz get a pass

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2023, 10:53:41 PM »
2. That shit was lame, the most impressive trick was him lipsliding a four stair, and that was only cool because his board is unnecessarily huge and heavy, so fundamentally just gimmicky
3. Would literally rather watch Ben K footage any day and I’m not a Ben K fan, that dudes gimmick is like 600x better than that shit

Now that I think about it, any shape without a nose is fucking stupid. Front noseslides are literally the best feeling ledge trick out there and you want me to pay to ride a setup without a nose? Why? I would focus my deck if I snapped the nose off, why does Santa Cruz get a pass

'cause not everybody skates like you, buttknocker.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2023, 11:13:45 PM »

That clip is just some random shit he filmed with his homies, he has way better street stuff out there. Although if his street footage was all that existed and he wasn't riding an 80s deck he probably wouldn't be pro.

IpathCats

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2023, 05:59:10 AM »

.....Nah

Winkowski gets a pass.