Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 173188 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 21, 2023, 09:55:42 PM »
They work at a skate shop…..you do know in 2023….adults barely work…let alone kids….

So rich kids working at a skate shop you surmise…..

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #1201 on: March 22, 2023, 07:00:11 AM »
i personally think all skate shops should close their doors as fast as humanly possible so they can become something actually positive and meaningful for the community - amazon fulfillment centers

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #1202 on: March 22, 2023, 07:05:51 AM »
Here’s a thought- support your local shop if it’s cool. If they’re not do what you like.

If you don’t have a local shop you’re off the hook.

And if you’re like me and really picky about boards you can split the difference by buying shirts and hoodies from the shop, cause that’s how they make money anyway. Buy boards from tactics or wherever, everyone basically breaks even on those sales so it’s not like you’re supporting big corporations.

I hated my local. Its been gone for almost 10 years. Believe me If I could I be running a shop, now we have kooky ass tattoo shops selling boards and fking hate it! I'll stick to buying online.

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1203 on: March 22, 2023, 07:12:03 AM »
Not that I’m happy about it but Aaron Kyro got more people into skateboarding than Tony Hawk

Is that even an opinion, then?

switchfakie

« Reply #1204 on: March 22, 2023, 07:21:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Here’s a thought- support your local shop if it’s cool. If they’re not do what you like.

And if you’re like me and really picky about boards you can split the difference by buying shirts and hoodies from the shop, cause that’s how they make money anyway. Buy boards from tactics or wherever, everyone basically breaks even on those sales so it’s not like you’re supporting big corporations.
[close]

I hated my local. Its been gone for almost 10 years. Believe me If I could I be running a shop, now we have kooky ass tattoo shops selling boards and fking hate it! I'll stick to buying online.

Same man, my local are weirdos. tactics at least has a physical location & their shop decks are bbs

IpathCats

« Reply #1205 on: March 22, 2023, 07:55:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That makes sense.

many legit shops have great webstores, spend your money there if you feel so inclined.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1206 on: March 22, 2023, 07:53:36 PM »
That Andrew huberman dude annoys the shit out of me

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1207 on: March 22, 2023, 09:35:40 PM »
All tres are pressure flips

Fs overcrook is 100% a trick

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1208 on: March 23, 2023, 11:31:13 AM »
Donovan Wildfong is the new Dylan

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1209 on: March 23, 2023, 11:33:17 AM »

Berle and Swan would like to have a word with you

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1210 on: March 23, 2023, 11:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Berle and Swan would like to have a word with you
I like Berle but he’s not as cool as either guy

elegant_fox

« Reply #1211 on: March 23, 2023, 11:40:19 AM »
I’ve always had a good experience at my local shop, the only guy who used to vibe me out I eventually won over by bringing in pizza on skate shop day.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1212 on: March 23, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »
I’ve always had a good experience at my local shop, the only guy who used to vibe me out I eventually won over by bringing in pizza on skate shop day.

That's cool that you had to buy him lunch to make him want to be your friend
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1213 on: March 23, 2023, 05:11:38 PM »
Sizzle is a decent poster

greenbeans

« Reply #1214 on: March 23, 2023, 06:26:49 PM »

at least this person gets it

Skookum

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1215 on: March 23, 2023, 06:30:49 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't know what is my local. I'm from Tokyo so every skate shop I've visited is really far from my house. Maybe 50 minutes or 1 hour by train... within Tokyo :-X Near my neighborhood there is a Murasaki Sports shop inside a mall. it's maybe like Zumiez in USA. It would be my local? I don't buy too much there because they don't have the boards I want.
I've been in some skate shops around Tokyo (FatBros, Arktz Harajuku, Heshdawg...) but the owners seem the most soulless people in the world. They don't talk, they don't look at you, they just give you the deck, take your money and sayōnara.
However, the guys at Murasaki Sports are very friendly. I usually buy online not because of cheaper prices (prices are exactly the same in online shops and local shops), but because I only find online the gear I want.

My unpopular opinion for 2023 is: The reason that most of guys make fun of skinny jeans is because they're insecure about the shape of their legs. The "You can't move freely" is just an excuse. Please, let's talk about pants again ;D
[close]

I’m sorry to hear this.
There are some nice small shops in Tokyo, but the scene can be really intimidating too. I know the type of shop you’re talking about. Not friendly at all.

Fabric is a good one if you get a chance, but it’s fucking tiny. But they treat their customers well if you have questions.

It’s a bit far away, but BQ in Oyama in Tochigi is really good too. Most of the shops where I am in Nagano do a good job of being polite and creating a local scene.

And if Murasaki sports does a better job than your locals (I don’t shop there because they don’t carry anything over 8.5) then go to them.
Definitely check out fabric skate shop! Kojima the owner is great guy and definitely had a lot to do with the skate park that’s in shin Yokohama. A great reason to support fabric.

switchfakie

« Reply #1216 on: March 23, 2023, 09:53:37 PM »

no shot - solid unpopular opinion

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #1217 on: March 23, 2023, 10:04:30 PM »
Beagle has been surplus to Baker's needs for well over 5 years now.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #1218 on: March 24, 2023, 05:16:04 AM »
Beagle has been surplus to Baker's needs for well over 5 years now.

Always has been. He’s a part of their overall branding. 
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1219 on: March 24, 2023, 05:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no shot - solid unpopular opinion

They have a different vibe but I can't lie I had the same thought before.

vinithebr

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1220 on: March 24, 2023, 09:40:05 AM »
Not that I’m happy about it but Aaron Kyro got more people into skateboarding than Tony Hawk

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #1221 on: March 24, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
I fuck with the man bun. Have one right now

IpathCats

« Reply #1222 on: March 24, 2023, 10:32:53 AM »
I fuck with the man bun. Have one right now

go apologize to gustav right now. you should know better

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1223 on: March 24, 2023, 10:50:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't know what is my local. I'm from Tokyo so every skate shop I've visited is really far from my house. Maybe 50 minutes or 1 hour by train... within Tokyo :-X Near my neighborhood there is a Murasaki Sports shop inside a mall. it's maybe like Zumiez in USA. It would be my local? I don't buy too much there because they don't have the boards I want.
I've been in some skate shops around Tokyo (FatBros, Arktz Harajuku, Heshdawg...) but the owners seem the most soulless people in the world. They don't talk, they don't look at you, they just give you the deck, take your money and sayōnara.
However, the guys at Murasaki Sports are very friendly. I usually buy online not because of cheaper prices (prices are exactly the same in online shops and local shops), but because I only find online the gear I want.

My unpopular opinion for 2023 is: The reason that most of guys make fun of skinny jeans is because they're insecure about the shape of their legs. The "You can't move freely" is just an excuse. Please, let's talk about pants again ;D
[close]

I’m sorry to hear this.
There are some nice small shops in Tokyo, but the scene can be really intimidating too. I know the type of shop you’re talking about. Not friendly at all.

Fabric is a good one if you get a chance, but it’s fucking tiny. But they treat their customers well if you have questions.

It’s a bit far away, but BQ in Oyama in Tochigi is really good too. Most of the shops where I am in Nagano do a good job of being polite and creating a local scene.

And if Murasaki sports does a better job than your locals (I don’t shop there because they don’t carry anything over 8.5) then go to them.
[close]
Definitely check out fabric skate shop! Kojima the owner is great guy and definitely had a lot to do with the skate park that’s in shin Yokohama. A great reason to support fabric.

Definitely I’m visiting the shop soon! Thank you!

switchfakie

« Reply #1224 on: March 24, 2023, 04:10:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
when you search "tony hawk" on youtube, there are at least fifteen results with multiple million views. his video game series sold 1.4 billion copies. he was everywhere in the late 90s/early 2000s - i wonder how many people watched the 1999 x games live or the episode of the simpsons he was in? not saying every all those people ran out and bought a skateboard but tony hawk clearly sparked a massive wave of interest in skating and i'm gonna need to see some solid evidence of something comparable aaron kyro's done for me to take this opinion conjecture seriously

maybe we should change the opinion to be

"Aaron Kyro got more people gen Z into skateboarding than Tony Hawk

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 110
« Reply #1225 on: March 24, 2023, 04:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
when you search "tony hawk" on youtube, there are at least fifteen results with multiple million views. his video game series sold 1.4 billion copies. he was everywhere in the late 90s/early 2000s - i wonder how many people watched the 1999 x games live or the episode of the simpsons he was in? not saying every all those people ran out and bought a skateboard but tony hawk clearly sparked a massive wave of interest in skating and i'm gonna need to see some solid evidence of something comparable aaron kyro's done for me to take this opinion conjecture seriously
[close]

maybe we should change the opinion to be

"Aaron Kyro got more people gen Z into skateboarding scientology than Tony Hawk

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1226 on: March 24, 2023, 05:20:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Solid info right here. Tony Hawk is a household name. If you ask any rando who Aaron Kyro is nobody is gonna say “oh yea, that pro skater from the San Francisco Bay Area.” I only found heard about this guy in recent years but I can see YouTube era kids getting into skating from his videos. But the Birdman is definitely king of getting new people into skating. Even if it’s indirectly with his skatepark foundation as well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #1227 on: March 24, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »
if you said 'taught' instead of 'got' you'd probably be right....

google 'how to kick flip'.......

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #1228 on: March 24, 2023, 05:37:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tony got like three generations of kids skating and will continue to. Aaron kyro lives and dies with YouTube. They are not the same.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
« Reply #1229 on: March 24, 2023, 05:45:07 PM »
Never seen Kyro in a BagelBites commercial