Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 171593 times)

Terminal

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2023, 10:31:01 PM »
Don't think it deserves a thread and not sure where to put it but has anyone ever heard of "send it Steve's"? Apparently there's this demographic of skaters nowadays that have a little bit of ability and proceed to basically throw themselves at high speed off large obstacles trying tricks that are outside of their abilities. It's truly a sight to behold and a little terrifying. There were three or four of these cats at my local recently, all unrelated, and it was pretty nerve wracking to watch. I almost packed up. They try huge tricks, fast, but clearly way off, and eat it hard. Get back up immediately like nothing happened and hit the gas once again. I asked a kid I know and he called them send it Steve's. Anyone seen this? It's pretty unnerving.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #301 on: January 19, 2023, 10:50:07 PM »
Don't think it deserves a thread and not sure where to put it but has anyone ever heard of "send it Steve's"? Apparently there's this demographic of skaters nowadays that have a little bit of ability and proceed to basically throw themselves at high speed off large obstacles trying tricks that are outside of their abilities. It's truly a sight to behold and a little terrifying. There were three or four of these cats at my local recently, all unrelated, and it was pretty nerve wracking to watch. I almost packed up. They try huge tricks, fast, but clearly way off, and eat it hard. Get back up immediately like nothing happened and hit the gas once again. I asked a kid I know and he called them send it Steve's. Anyone seen this? It's pretty unnerving.
All will no skill has always been a part of skateboarding.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2023, 12:01:41 AM »
During high school, we had a jock kinda kook friend as part of our small little group of stoner goons. Almost all of us skated so I guess he wanted to try his hand at it too. He picked up the very very basics pretty quickly. Little rocket ollies and shuvs and all that. He always looked very unstable with 0 board control but he'd just give everything his all and went as fast as he could. I remember we bombed this hill together once and he made it 98% of the way down and then ate shit so hard on the flat hitting a pinecone or rock. He was rocking a Discman and a backpack with a gallon of lime green Koolaid inside, all of which was scattered around the hot asphalt when he slammed. Every trick he tried looked like was narrowly escaping death. Very unnerving to watch indeed. Someone stole the football tackling sled from the field beside the skatepark and tipped it on its side and put it at the end of our long ledge/manny pad thing as an off rail.  It didn't matter to him that he'd never done a 5050 on a curb/ledge/flatbar or anything but he'd just haul ass and somehow get on some ballerina-looking toeside bs 5050. He didn't land it, or a lot of his tricks but he'd still fully commit to everything. Ultimately, I think he was very lucky in the head to never hit his head, but he did break his femur skateboarding. He also survived testicular cancer and his parents won the lottery, so I think luck was definitely on his side in the end. That's what send it steve reminded me of.

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2023, 06:14:33 AM »
Same unpopular opinion every year since probably 2010, VX footage (or any miniDV footage) should be illegal. They should all be decommissioned like an old musket and put in a museum. 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2023, 06:18:01 AM »
If you dont deck out your rocks on transition, youre not doing the trick.

in my experience the people who get hung up on this kinda thing are the people who think a rock to fakie is a significant trick.

Bruiser603

• Rep: 10
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2023, 07:07:05 AM »
Rails are the stupidest thing ever even on cruiser setups they’re fucking dumb I don’t care how old you are they’re always dumb I don’t respect it at all it’s tasteless and so fucking lame and looks disgusting every single time. It was cool back in the 80s but society has progressed past needing those things. I cringe so much seeing any setup with rails especially in the setup thread it’s just ridiculous to be putting rails on your board in 2023, grow the fuck up

Guilty.  To be fair I was watching a lot of wheels of fire at the time.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2023, 08:15:18 AM »
During high school, we had a jock kinda kook friend as part of our small little group of stoner goons. Almost all of us skated so I guess he wanted to try his hand at it too. He picked up the very very basics pretty quickly. Little rocket ollies and shuvs and all that. He always looked very unstable with 0 board control but he'd just give everything his all and went as fast as he could. I remember we bombed this hill together once and he made it 98% of the way down and then ate shit so hard on the flat hitting a pinecone or rock. He was rocking a Discman and a backpack with a gallon of lime green Koolaid inside, all of which was scattered around the hot asphalt when he slammed. Every trick he tried looked like was narrowly escaping death. Very unnerving to watch indeed. Someone stole the football tackling sled from the field beside the skatepark and tipped it on its side and put it at the end of our long ledge/manny pad thing as an off rail.  It didn't matter to him that he'd never done a 5050 on a curb/ledge/flatbar or anything but he'd just haul ass and somehow get on some ballerina-looking toeside bs 5050. He didn't land it, or a lot of his tricks but he'd still fully commit to everything. Ultimately, I think he was very lucky in the head to never hit his head, but he did break his femur skateboarding. He also survived testicular cancer and his parents won the lottery, so I think luck was definitely on his side in the end. That's what send it steve reminded me of.

Lmao i know exactly the kind of dude you mean. If he had a park with transition to skate he would of been throwing up huge stinkbug airs everywhere like the 'send it steves' at my local
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:04 AM »
Vans and Converse are the only acceptable skate shoes.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:15 AM »
Same unpopular opinion every year since probably 2010, VX footage (or any miniDV footage) should be illegal. They should all be decommissioned like an old musket and put in a museum.
I absolutely disagree but 'decommissioned like an old musket' is hilarious

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2023, 09:15:39 AM »

VX blows. Enough with the pixelated nostalgia, you’re not making Baker 2. Get a modern fucking camera.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2023, 09:57:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think there was a time when a "send-it Steve" could go pro, or to be more clear, a time when someone with lesser natural ability could achieve pro level through sheer grit and determination.
Nowadays the bar is so high I'm pretty sure if you don't have at least some degree of natural talent there's basically no shot at being pro, at least pro on a A-tier brand.

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2023, 09:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think there was a time when a "send-it Steve" could go pro, or to be more clear, a time when someone with lesser natural ability could achieve pro level through sheer grit and determination.
Nowadays the bar is so high I'm pretty sure if you don't have at least some degree of natural talent there's basically no shot at being pro, at least pro on a A-tier brand.

Simon Woodstock comes to mind.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2023, 11:23:29 AM »
Josh Kasper was the ultimate Send-It Steve.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 37
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
Carlos Ruiz, Send-it Steve of the century

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

in my experience the people who get hung up on this kinda thing are the people who think a rock to fakie is a significant trick.

It's kinda like a rocket flip. Yeah, the trick isn't high-caliber, but there's obviously a better way of doing it. The latest Thrasher cover was a rock to fakie, but he didn't "deck" it

cky enthusiast

« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2023, 11:35:23 AM »
Josh Kasper was the ultimate Send-It Steve.

i saw him ollie off the deck of a vert ramp over a soda machine at a blind demo in ~99ish. he didn’t make it and tried a lot

borats cat

• Rep: -20
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2023, 12:09:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Simon Woodstock comes to mind.
daniel haney

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2023, 12:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's kinda like a rocket flip. Yeah, the trick isn't high-caliber, but there's obviously a better way of doing it. The latest Thrasher cover was a rock to fakie, but he didn't "deck" it

I'm with the decking argument on actual rock and rolls, both frontside and backside. That's the trick is to get your back truck to the coping and touch front wheels on the deck. You're not supposed to deck rock to fakies, it's either just setting for up for a fakie trick on the other wall or for poking your truck over on something gnarly. Only exception is for Tony Hawk, and that's just because it's Tony Hawk (it still looks stupid when he does it, though)
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2023, 12:19:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

decking a rock n roll looks great. decking a rock fakie looks like dog shit 99.99% of the time (no I don't want examples of ones you think are the exception).

Heshrat

• Rep: -2
« Reply #319 on: January 20, 2023, 11:29:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

decking a rock n roll looks great. decking a rock fakie looks like dog shit 99.99% of the time (no I don't want examples of ones you think are the exception).

Decking a rock fakie is a little silly, just go for like a feeble fakie or 50 to fakie or something
I did your mom

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2023, 11:34:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

gabriel summers is currently pro. granted, not A Tier, but still pro for a legacy brand. (also it’s worth noting that i love watching him skate for this reason)

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2023, 05:34:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my old age I changed my backside rock technique so they were completely decked. Unfortunately, this made me lose the ability to do quick, 10 degrees from decked rocks on much gnarlier walls.

Pizzaflip’s criticism is spot on.

IpathCats

« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2023, 05:37:54 AM »

@ok boomer

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2023, 06:39:44 AM »
I was one of those guys as a teenager. It was embarrassing how long it took me to realize, hey maybe I should get good at ollieing this stuff first.
I went to the park around then with a few buddies who didn’t skate, and they were trying to film me ollie the big set there. But I kept slipping out because I wasn’t used to ever commiting to landing on my board. I got so frustrated I decided to ride off the set instead. And even that took a few tries.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2023, 09:41:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Encountered a guy like this recently. He got me stoked tho and it turned out me and my homie were stoking him out making him go for shit more lmao. I definitely was scared if have you take him to hospital.

Heshrat

• Rep: -2
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@ok boomer

Are converse good skate shoes? When skating some transition the bottoms felt slippery to me, at least for the chucks. I had these cons I think they’re called percells that had dope flick
I did your mom

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
Chuck Taylor’s are the ugliest fucking shoe of all time and the rubber toe thing is disgusting. Can’t even skate LRAB because it looks too much like converse. Also every single chuck Taylor enthusiast I’ve known has atrocious taste in music

switchfakie

« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2023, 04:21:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@ok boomer
[close]

Are converse good skate shoes? When skating some transition the bottoms felt slippery to me, at least for the chucks. I had these cons I think they’re called percells that had dope flick

you have to get the skate versions. the regular converse have sort of a felty/fabric bottom which has absolutely no grip

the skate versions have full rubber bottoms and feel pretty good

the flick is a lot more sensitive because of the rubber toe cap, but feels good once you get used to it

id recommend the high tops because it limits the range of your ankle movement -- which can be a good thing or a bad thing. if you have shitflips, itll be good for you because it'll generalize your flick into a larger motion rather than several motions (ankle + leg vs just leg for the flick)

if you have a precise/developed kickflip, it'll probably make you worse for flip tricks

Mallie

• Rep: 32
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2023, 05:36:41 PM »
Developed Kickflip would make for an awesome username.

Or Sophisticated Kickflip.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2023, 05:48:20 PM »
Developed Kickflip would make for an awesome username.

Or Sophisticated Kickflip.

You know what dude, I've seen some serious Kentucky Fried takes on this forum, but this...THIS...